PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here still use chemical dye?

blue_eyes
October 9th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I apologize if this thread has been done before, but I couldn't find anything when I searched.

For years I've been dyeing my natural blonde hair to a very dark brown (almost black) but my hair has suffered from some pretty bad chemical damage (from when I've bleached in an attempt to get back to blonde). I've made peace with the dark brown & I love it, but to get away from the chemicals I looked to henna & indigo. I tried Lush's Caca Noir and loved what it's done to the dyed portion of my hair, but it did nothing to my blonde roots. I did research on getting better quality henna & indigo, and doing a two step process instead but the whole thing seems like such a lot of time, work, and mess. My experience with doing it once was exhausting enough, I can't imagine having to do it twice every time my roots show up. Using regular old dye was so much easier. :(

So I'm very torn & would appreciate any advice. Does anyone here still use chemical dyes or does everyone use henna or indigo? Is it even possible to grow long, healthy, beautiful hair when using chemical dyes?

Kwantslonghair
October 9th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I dye my roots about every 3 months. Some of it obviously gets down the length. Mine is fairly healthy but I oil it, and I don't use heat on it. I guess I have traded one evil for another

goldenlady
October 9th, 2013, 03:29 PM
I bleach.. My hair is still long, strong and growing. It's possible :) Just dye sparingly and look after your hair and eat right.

RainbowPearl
October 9th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I still go to the hairdresser to get my hair dyed. It's the only thing I have found that covers all my grey. Even the drugstore stuff doesn't cover my grey. For me, it's a necessary evil. I try to make it up to my hair by trying to do everything else good for it. If only my DH didn't mind the grey. ;)

In2wishin
October 9th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I dye my roots about every 3 months. Some of it obviously gets down the length. Mine is fairly healthy but I oil it, and I don't use heat on it. I guess I have traded one evil for another

I'm pretty much the same way. I dye my hair the color it was in my 30's, after it darkened but before the grays started. I use L'Oreal box dye from the drugstore and really don't worry too much about it. I really do it to cover the grays and do my roots every 2-3 months depending on how fast my hair is growing. I CO wash, use a very light coney detangling spray after washing, and air dry. I haven't found a split end in years.

blue_eyes
October 9th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Do you only do the roots or do you find that you need to dye all of your hair every so often? I'm terrified of putting chemical dye on all of my hair since I've had so much breakage...but I'm worried if I only do my roots there will be a a stripe since the colours won't match perfectly.

In2wishin
October 9th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Do you only do the roots or do you find that you need to dye all of your hair every so often? I'm terrified of putting chemical dye on all of my hair since I've had so much breakage...but I'm worried if I only do my roots there will be a a stripe since the colours won't match perfectly.

In theory I only do my roots but I allow some of the dye to get on to the first inch or two of the previously colored hair so it blends. That, and the fact that I always use the same brand and color, prevents any stripey effect. I think the CO wash helps too because the color on the rest of the hair doesn't fade from strong cleansers.

rose313
October 9th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Using a veggie dye to get the dark brown you want would be a much better alternative to box dye. I hate that almost all box dye contains lighteners, even if you're going a darker color. I personally lighten my roots every few months and my hair is still healthy. It's obviously not completely damage free, but it looks and feels great. I tone it occasionally too with semis.

BrightEyes
October 9th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I bleach too. I get highlights and low-lights every 3 months. The bottom half of my hair is virgin though. I love my color and plan on maintaining it indefinitely.

I do have some dryness and damage, although since I've done coconut oil treatments before my appointments, my hair is in much better condition. I also do regular deep treatments.

Firefox7275
October 9th, 2013, 04:33 PM
I use a peroxide only blonde box dye (to which I add coconut oil) on roots only, then a semi permanent on the roots and to 'refresh' the lengths. It does not kill my hair like 'refreshing' the lengths with the box dye for five minutes each time used to, two step does take longer but frankly the results are far better. I take care of my hair a fair bit other than the dye: conditioner only washing, no brushing, low heat diffusing or air drying, coconut oil/ hydrolysed protein/ ceramides/ panthenol as treatments or leave ins.

Kitten1030
October 9th, 2013, 04:46 PM
I dye my hair to very dark brown/black using just a one step hendigo successfully and have been for over a year now. I'm covering a lot of gray hair so I'm sure it would work on your blonde.The thing is I have to be picky about the indigo. I only use the stuff from Henna Sooq I've tried some other cheaper kinds and they just don't stick. I've found I don't need to be as picky with the henna I've been using $10/lb Starwest Botanicals off Amazon. I'd suggest before you do anything read everything you can about it and strand test. There's tons of info here and at Henna for Hair.I don't find it anymore messy or time consuming than chemical dyes and at least I don't feel like I'm giving myself cancer every time I dye my hair. I wish I could show some pictures but I haven't figured out how yet. I'm not smart enough to computer :( I'm good @ hendigo though!

blue_eyes
October 9th, 2013, 05:14 PM
I dye my hair to very dark brown/black using just a one step hendigo successfully and have been for over a year now. I'm covering a lot of gray hair so I'm sure it would work on your blonde.The thing is I have to be picky about the indigo. I only use the stuff from Henna Sooq I've tried some other cheaper kinds and they just don't stick. I've found I don't need to be as picky with the henna I've been using $10/lb Starwest Botanicals off Amazon. I'd suggest before you do anything read everything you can about it and strand test. There's tons of info here and at Henna for Hair.I don't find it anymore messy or time consuming than chemical dyes and at least I don't feel like I'm giving myself cancer every time I dye my hair. I wish I could show some pictures but I haven't figured out how yet. I'm not smart enough to computer :( I'm good @ hendigo though!

Did you achieve the one step process by mixing the two together before applying it to your hair? I've read so much on Henna for Hair (I'd love to order one of their kits but the shipping to Canada is $75!) I was thinking of trying some from Henna Sooq since their prices are not so high, so it's really good to hear that you liked their indigo! :)

I really appreciate everyone's tips & advice. The damage chemicals has done to my hair has made me petrified to keep using them, but I do miss them!

Macaroni
October 9th, 2013, 05:33 PM
I dye my roots every month with ION Brilliance liquid permanent color. I never bring it down the length.

Venefica
October 9th, 2013, 05:34 PM
I dye my dark blonde hair black. I use regular dye from the store and I redo it about every two to four months. I mostly do my roots but I do put the reminding dye on the rest of my hair to keep the color from fading. I never bleach my hair though and my hair is healthy, it do not seam to have taken any damage from me coloring it and it is now close to knee length. I can not imagine going back to blond, black hair suits me so much better. I do not use heated styling products, nor do I use hair spray, I oil it and use hair cure every time I wash it and I only wash once a week.

Kitten1030
October 9th, 2013, 06:06 PM
I dye my dark blonde hair black. I use regular dye from the store and I redo it about every two to four months. I mostly do my roots but I do put the reminding dye on the rest of my hair to keep the color from fading. I never bleach my hair though and my hair is healthy, it do not seam to have taken any damage from me coloring it and it is now close to knee length. I can not imagine going back to blond, black hair suits me so much better. I do not use heated styling products, nor do I use hair spray, I oil it and use hair cure every time I wash it and I only wash once a week.

I never would have guessed you are a blonde! You make me question reality. You are black hair.

Kitten1030
October 9th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Did you achieve the one step process by mixing the two together before applying it to your hair? I've read so much on Henna for Hair (I'd love to order one of their kits but the shipping to Canada is $75!) I was thinking of trying some from Henna Sooq since their prices are not so high, so it's really good to hear that you liked their indigo! :)

I really appreciate everyone's tips & advice. The damage chemicals has done to my hair has made me petrified to keep using them, but I do miss them!

I mix the henna separately a whole pound at a time let it dye release,portion it into containers and freeze it. When it's time to do my roots, I unthaw a container of henna, mix up some indigo in a separate bowl, wait about 15 minutes for dye release(I take a shower during this time so my hair is wet) and then mix them both together and apply just as I would chemical dye. I just have to make smaller sections. Then I Saran Wrap my dome ,put on a fabulously dorky woolen winter hat ( Pom Pom and all) and go about my day to day business looking fabulous for 2-3 hrs. Ya know you could give it a shot and just do your roots if you don't like it you can just cover over with your regular brown/black dye. You just can't bleach indigo,dying over it shouldn't be a problem. Btw I only use hot water to mix up my henna and indigo and it works great I know a lot of people put all kinds of stuff in their henna mix but I like to keep it simple silly.

blue_eyes
October 9th, 2013, 06:34 PM

It's funny how natural blondes can look so good with black hair! People are shocked when they find out I'm naturally blonde, they can't even imagine it.

blue_eyes
October 9th, 2013, 06:37 PM
I mix the henna separately a whole pound at a time let it dye release,portion it into containers and freeze it. When it's time to do my roots, I unthaw a container of henna, mix up some indigo in a separate bowl, wait about 15 minutes for dye release(I take a shower during this time so my hair is wet) and then mix them both together and apply just as I would chemical dye. I just have to make smaller sections. Then I Saran Wrap my dome ,put on a fabulously dorky woolen winter hat ( Pom Pom and all) and go about my day to day business looking fabulous for 2-3 hrs. Ya know you could give it a shot and just do your roots if you don't like it you can just cover over with your regular brown/black dye. You just can't bleach indigo,dying over it shouldn't be a problem. Btw I only use hot water to mix up my henna and indigo and it works great I know a lot of people put all kinds of stuff in their henna mix but I like to keep it simple silly.

That sounds wonderfully simple! I think I'll try this! :)

Venefica
October 10th, 2013, 01:37 PM
I never would have guessed you are a blonde! You make me question reality. You are black hair.

Hehehe yeah I think nature got the wrong memmo, I can not imagine going back to blond, I think black hair fit my personality, style and who I am so much better. I dyed it once when I had short hair, just as an experiment and I have never gone back.

It's funny how natural blondes can look so good with black hair! People are shocked when they find out I'm naturally blonde, they can't even imagine it.

I think it depend allot on the color of your eye lashes and eyebrows, if they are dark then dark hair look natural even if you are originally a blond. I am lucky my lashes and brows are dark brown, near black so they fit with my dyed black hair.

Agnes Hannah
October 10th, 2013, 02:44 PM
I colour my roots once a month to cover the greys. I don't cover the rest of my hair though, I try to keep the dye off the middle and ends, just a root touch up really.

jacqueline101
October 10th, 2013, 02:54 PM
I had mine bleached a year ago and I'm growing it out. I do miss my chemical dye days. I almost gave in bought some. I wanted to try the vs Sassoon color collection. I was going to dye my bangs only have vivid red bangs my color in back. Dye is my weakness.

Carolyn
October 10th, 2013, 03:04 PM
I have my hair dyed at an Aveda salon. I think Aveda stylists have very good training especially with blonde hair. I'm getting a lot of silver and I don't like it. There is no embracing it for me. I'd rather trust an expect than mess with dye at home. Henna would not be an option for me as I want to stay ashy as possible. I fight any red or warm tones in my hair. I take very good care of my hair other than the dye. I'd rather be happy with waist length blonde hair than have silver hair to my butt.

FoxyGhost
October 10th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I dye my roots with a box dye and then I use henna on the lengths but I was dying it a coppery henna red prior to the henna. I also have been adding semi permanent orange dye to my henna to make a brighter color. If I dyed my hair a color other than red I would do the color all over once and then just the roots after that. I would refresh the lengths with a semi or demi permanent dye.

blue_eyes
October 10th, 2013, 03:44 PM

If you don't mind me asking, which brand of dye do you use? I just saw a picture of your hair and it's gorgeous! :)

Cheele
October 10th, 2013, 08:47 PM
I have been a chemical black/very dark brown for quite a few years now. Discovered my trusty ol' box was killing my hair. Just recently went on a search for a "healthier" method. Manic Panic was a bust. And I'm too much of a scaredy to try henndigo. I experimented with a demi-permanent dye + 10vol developer about a month ago and I loved it. It's the color I want (no blue or green undertones. Just a reddish like the usual) and much less damaging than my box I was using before. Very happy. I believe this is what I will be sticking with for a long time. Just need to perfect the deep conditioning routine that MUST happen afterwards.

My roots are brown enough that I get away with dying twice a year.. I might jump it up to three, though.

I hope you find what you're looking for :).

blue_eyes
October 10th, 2013, 08:52 PM
I have been a chemical black/very dark brown for quite a few years now. Discovered my trusty ol' box was killing my hair. Just recently went on a search for a "healthier" method. Manic Panic was a bust. And I'm too much of a scaredy to try henndigo. I experimented with a demi-permanent dye + 10vol developer about a month ago and I loved it. It's the color I want (no blue or green undertones. Just a reddish like the usual) and much less damaging than my box I was using before. Very happy. I believe this is what I will be sticking with for a long time. Just need to perfect the deep conditioning routine that MUST happen afterwards.

My roots are brown enough that I get away with dying twice a year.. I might jump it up to three, though.

I hope you find what you're looking for :).

Thanks for sharing! :) I'm a little terrified of henna & indigo myself, which is another reason I'm holding off on trying it. I had tried a semi-permanent box dye the last time I dyed my hair. I loved it at first but the colour didn't stay around very long and became a lot more auburn than brown/black. Which brand of demi dye did you go with?

jlb
October 10th, 2013, 09:10 PM
A year ago I was so bored with my hair I needed a change or I was chopping it off. I had a great year playing with high & lowlights & even several months of vivid magenta streaks. About a month ago I decided I was tired of the maintenance & my hairdresser dyed it to a lovely chestnut color. I think it's a bit darker than my natural hair color, but I'm loving it & I don't seem to have any damage from anything I've done in the past year.

If you like the way your hair looks & feels with whatever dye you choose, then go for it. If you don't enjoy it, then what's the point?

Dandelion6
October 10th, 2013, 10:04 PM
I'm not ready to show all my silvers so I do my roots about once a month with clairol nice and easy permanent in medium neutral brown. I never bring it down the length. I'm at waist now and the length hasn't faded too much. I don't mind the slightly ombre look. This is a very easy and predictable routine not to mention very affordable. I am going to stick with it for a while. I have been toying with the idea of letting some of the silvers show in the front layers...The tips I have picked up from this forum about long hair care in general--no heat, oiling, lots of conditioner, gentle detangling-- really helps to keep the damage to the minimum.

Venefica
October 10th, 2013, 10:25 PM
If you don't mind me asking, which brand of dye do you use? I just saw a picture of your hair and it's gorgeous!

First of all thank you. :D I often use Lloreal (is that spelled right?) Black nr 1, but generally I use whatever is on sale. I never bleach my hair so my real color shines through a bit, but I think that is fine as it gives life to the color and make it look more natural in my opinion.

blue_eyes
October 11th, 2013, 09:58 AM
First of all thank you. :D I often use Lloreal (is that spelled right?) Black nr 1, but generally I use whatever is on sale. I never bleach my hair so my real color shines through a bit, but I think that is fine as it gives life to the color and make it look more natural in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing! I'm very tempted to try it after seeing your hair! :)

Venefica
October 11th, 2013, 02:11 PM
That brand of hair dye works well for me, but do keep in mind that everyone's hair is different and what one hair like another might not. If you do decide to try it I hope it will turn out beautiful and that you will post a picture of it.

blue_eyes
October 11th, 2013, 03:26 PM
That brand of hair dye works well for me, but do keep in mind that everyone's hair is different and what one hair like another might not. If you do decide to try it I hope it will turn out beautiful and that you will post a picture of it.

I've used L'oreal before (I used to love their Feria reds) but I'm always cautious about black because it's so permanent. The first time I dyed my hair black it looked very flat and dull, almost greyish. Since then I'd buy warm dark browns and leave them on a little longer, so they'd look like a shiny warm black, but after a few washes they turned very brown. Your hair was definitely a very beautiful black though, which makes me feel a little better about trying it. :P

jillosity
October 11th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Not currently dyeing, but I would use a regular dye if I did, along with coconut oil pre-soaks. I started coloring my hair when I was 15 and I've used everything you could possibly use on your hair. I like the idea of henna being natural and all (I've been a veg the same year I started dyeing!) and had good luck using Caca Marron, but overall the unpredictability of henna and indigo in particular don't appeal to me. Once you get to a color you like, the henna will suddenly go too dark, or your mix really only "sticks" to virgin hair, etc the list goes on. Bless those who love the red and are willing, but I've lost my taste for it. Perhaps in a few years when I've got more length I might do a weak henna gloss, but that's all I can fathom.

I think mostly I'm more interested in growing my hair long and I'm at peace with the color it grows. I fought against it well, for 28 years. Long enough.

but... American Horror Story is making the idea of being a brown eyed blondie attractive! I think I can resist a while though.

blue_eyes
October 11th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Not currently dyeing, but I would use a regular dye if I did, along with coconut oil pre-soaks. I started coloring my hair when I was 15 and I've used everything you could possibly use on your hair. I like the idea of henna being natural and all (I've been a veg the same year I started dyeing!) and had good luck using Caca Marron, but overall the unpredictability of henna and indigo in particular don't appeal to me. Once you get to a color you like, the henna will suddenly go too dark, or your mix really only "sticks" to virgin hair, etc the list goes on. Bless those who love the red and are willing, but I've lost my taste for it. Perhaps in a few years when I've got more length I might do a weak henna gloss, but that's all I can fathom.

I think mostly I'm more interested in growing my hair long and I'm at peace with the color it grows. I fought against it well, for 28 years. Long enough.

but... American Horror Story is making the idea of being a brown eyed blondie attractive! I think I can resist a while though.

I can completely understand your feelings towards henna & indigo. I've tried Caca Noir once and it did nothing to my blonde roots (at least they didn't turn green :P) and now the rest of my hair is just brown. The fact that everything I've read about henna and indigo says that it takes a lot of experimenting really makes me reluctant to use it, especially with each experiment having to sit on your head for 4+ hours. If I can dye my hair with regular dye and minimize damage then I'll stick to that.

On a side note, seeing "step away from the indigo! ask me why" on your side profile has me extremely curious! :P

Venefica
October 13th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I've used L'oreal before (I used to love their Feria reds) but I'm always cautious about black because it's so permanent. The first time I dyed my hair black it looked very flat and dull, almost greyish. Since then I'd buy warm dark browns and leave them on a little longer, so they'd look like a shiny warm black, but after a few washes they turned very brown. Your hair was definitely a very beautiful black though, which makes me feel a little better about trying it. :P

Well the dye do make my hair brown black instead of blue black and towards the end of the period before I dye it again it turns more to a very dark brown rather than black, but I am not to bothered by it, I think that fit well with my colorings of eye brows and eye lashes, but if you want true blue black loreal might not be the dye for you.

FuzzyBlackWaves
October 13th, 2013, 03:22 PM
I dye my pre-oiled roots once a month with permanent chemical dye.

Cheele
October 15th, 2013, 11:59 PM
Thanks for sharing! :) I'm a little terrified of henna & indigo myself, which is another reason I'm holding off on trying it. I had tried a semi-permanent box dye the last time I dyed my hair. I loved it at first but the colour didn't stay around very long and became a lot more auburn than brown/black. Which brand of demi dye did you go with?

Sorry for the late reply! I went with Ion Color Brilliance. No idea what brand developer I got.. Don't think that matters all too much though. It was really the only demi I had to choose from at my Sally's. I used the 3N (I bought two boxes for my hip length hair). I was used to and liked the results I got from using 2's with permanent dye, but they only had a 3... And then a 1. I asked the woman working there and told her what I wanted and she said the 3 would be plenty dark enough for me. And she was right. I'm starting to notice some fading, but its not bad at all- definitely better than a semi would be. Maybe its better because my hair isn't necessarily light anyway. But yes, I'm very happy with it.

Teufelchen
October 16th, 2013, 04:07 AM
I am switching between a non-peroxide permanent chemichal dye ( Elumen) and henndigo. While Henndigo never fades the chemical one does. Anyway I am just doing roots touch-ups.
My hair is medium to dark brown with about 15% grey and I dye it black. My hair is ~fingertip now.

duchess67
October 16th, 2013, 01:36 PM
I colour my roots once a month with Clairol Natural Instincts. I was using L'oreal preference before, but switched to Natural Instincts after reading that it is better to use a demi rather than using a permanent one like L'oreal. The day I colour my roots I lose a lot of hair while washing hence really dread the day. My hair grows an inch or more a month, so if I don't cover my greys I look 10 years older...lol.