PDA

View Full Version : What oil base would you choose for your hair oil?

Henna Sooq
September 4th, 2008, 02:40 PM
I'm just curious and doing some research too but what oil base would you choose if you could, for a natural herbal hair oil?

Patrycja
September 4th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I voted carrot oil because I really like red in my hair and I'm sure the carrot oil will help with achieving the color.

epiphanee
September 4th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I would use castor oil as I have thick, coarse hair with 40% white and 60% black and castor oil calms, moisturises and smooths it.

Nightshade
September 4th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I voted for "other" because I use sunflower and shea nut oil as the base for my own blend, light and smooth. Cocconut oil would be a third place for me, though.

CopperHead
September 4th, 2008, 03:34 PM
My hair really likes Argan oil. It is pricey, but a little goes a long way.

mugglemomof3
September 4th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I like jojoba first, coconut second, and grapeseed third.

Denebi
September 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I tested several different kinds of oil. My favorite is coconut. My hair just loves it!

Henna Sooq
September 4th, 2008, 04:10 PM
oh I forgot to add the other oils, I forgot that there was so many out there!

Nightshade I've missed ya!! I love that new siggy pic. Gorgeous! Anything new with you?

Argan oil....YEAH!! :) I forgot what a treasure that oil is. It is expensive...but you're right, really worth it!!

Cinnamon.locks
September 4th, 2008, 04:14 PM
As a base i would use Jojoba Oil, it is the most similar to natural sebum and it does help the hair alot. i've always preffered it, not too greasy but good enough for a base oil.

But my favorite is Shea Butter, it can be turned into a liquid using a microwave or simply putting a small container into a boiling water tub and waiting a few minutes until the shea butter turned liquid. then mixing with other oils and many other stuff.

rockkcor
September 4th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I voted 'other' - it must be something that we produce in our scalp - that is why I believe it has to be something based on grease, something that comes out of animals not plants...
I am certan that whatever you use - just as with food, nothing is good for everybody...

Oh, I forgot - somebody adviced A-D oil - oil with A and D vitamines... What are they making it from - I have no idea...

Gladtobemom
September 4th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I use Moonchaser's Coconut Based Sweet Success Oil.

Love the stuff.

Kirin
September 4th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Definately carrot :)

ChloeDharma
September 4th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I'm just curious and doing some research too but what oil base would you choose if you could, for a natural herbal hair oil?

I voted coconut oil but wanted to vote for sesame too. I'm assuming this is to macerate herbs in? I figured coconut has a well established tradition of being used for that in haircare, plus given it's penetrative properties would be more reliable for transporting the herb extracts into the hair and scalp. Plus at least on this forum alot of members choose it as a hair oil and find it suits their hair, i've not looked at Nightshades polls yet but going by answers and suggestions on threads it seems the most popular.
For my own use i plan on using both sesame and coconut oils to macerate herbs in for hair and scalp oils. Other oils are not so reliably stable for heat extraction.

Nat242
September 4th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I make a scalp massage oil with various EOs. As it's for thickening and hair growth, I use castor oil, but because castor oil is very thick on its own, I blend it with both jojoba oil and EVOO, which are both relatively light oils.

HTH!

thankyousir74
September 4th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I've been a real fan of coconut oil, its the only one so far that has had a noticeably good effect on my hair

Velouria
September 4th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I voted blended oil base....the oils that work best for me are olive, babasssu, grapeseed, and castor, but all for somewhat different purposes. I haven't found that one oil that's perfect for everything (scalp massage/growth, pre-wash, post-wash, heavy oiling, light oiling, halo-frizz smoothing) so I alternate these oils. I've been thinking about blending them to see if that would be my all-purpose oil.

ETA: Good to see you posting again, Khadija! I was wondering where you were.

sipnsun
September 5th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I vote for coconut oil first, jojoba second and olive oil third.

Nightshade
September 5th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Nightshade I've missed ya!! I love that new siggy pic. Gorgeous! Anything new with you?

Nothing too much :) I hope that you're all settled in and that things are well with you! :flowers:

charlyee
September 5th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I voted other. I use jojoba oil. I tried monoi and coconut but my hair likes jojoba the best :)

Henna Sooq
September 5th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks Velouria!

NightShade, yeah we are settling in. How is your herbal project coming along?

It seems there is so much variety in the oil department. Everyone has their own choice and a few select popular ones. That is really neat! All of them in one bottle would be very overwhelming though.

I keep getting thumbs up for that lovely argan oil from Morocco.

Tapioca
September 5th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Jojoba is my favorite. Coconut is great for deep treatments, but I have to wash before leaving the house. Jojoba is light enough to wear all day. Another plus is that is has no real scent of its own, so I can add what I want. I can't do that with coconut.

NurseMama
September 5th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Jojoba! Grapeseed second. My hair really dislikes coconut.

Nightshade
September 5th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks Velouria!

NightShade, yeah we are settling in. How is your herbal project coming along?

It seems there is so much variety in the oil department. Everyone has their own choice and a few select popular ones. That is really neat! All of them in one bottle would be very overwhelming though.

I keep getting thumbs up for that lovely argan oil from Morocco.

It's going pretty well :) I whipped up an herbal hair conditioner that I've been using and find it to work well as a mister base (after straining) as a deep treatment, or as a rinse.

I'd still like to do some henna blends (may stay away from the indigo side of it because I don't know as much there), but in any event, that'll happen after I'm married. :o This last month is going to be hectic!

burns_erin
September 5th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I am a humongous fan of grapeseed oil.

xrosiex
September 7th, 2008, 03:49 PM
My favorite base mix is coconut, shea, and jojoba. And there are others.:)

coolbreeze212
September 7th, 2008, 07:16 PM
With my experiments over the last couple months, my hair really seems to love coconut oil the best.

Haith
September 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I'm with the majority here - coconut oil.

iris
September 8th, 2008, 04:35 PM
For me, I'd go with red palm oil. It's similar to coconut oil, except that coconut oil turns sour in my hair after a few hours and it reeks, and palm oil doesn't.

Iris

Medvssa
September 11th, 2008, 12:12 PM
From those I've tried so far, coconut. I also like shea. And I've used red palm oil recently and my hair seemed to love it, too.
Coconut seems the safest bet for most people.

Curlsgirl
September 11th, 2008, 12:20 PM
For me, I'd go with red palm oil. It's similar to coconut oil, except that coconut oil turns sour in my hair after a few hours and it reeks, and palm oil doesn't.

Iris

I have never heard of this. What kind of coconut oil are you using?

Sakura07
September 11th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I voted coconut oil. Then it would be sweet almond oil and then in third place would be EVOO

longhairedfairy
September 11th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I'm quite happy with camellia oil:)

Finoriel
September 12th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I voted for a "blended oil base".
I´m blending my own mix and at the moment I like coconut : olive (2:1) best, with some drops of EOs and very little lanolin.

Gecko
September 12th, 2008, 06:55 AM
I really like coconut oil since it's solid, but melts nicely in your palms. Palm oil is good too, but doesn't melt as well.

harley mama
September 12th, 2008, 07:32 AM
My base oil is jojoba. I also use a lot of coconut oil. I like both equally.

Henrietta
September 20th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Olive, I think. Maybe because I haven't found a decent coconut oil yet. But still, EVOO and my hair seem to like each other.

DancingQueen
September 20th, 2012, 07:42 AM
I voted coconut oil, as it is the only one I ever tried. But I love how soft, shiny and manageable it makes my hair. Besides, it is supposed to actually penetrate the hair shaft.

princess007
September 20th, 2012, 08:44 PM
I prefer olive oil. I mixed about 8 drops in with white vinegar/water solution and used as a rinse. (so washed my hair with shampoo, rinsed with water, then put the vinegar/oil solution on and left for about 5 minutes. Rinsed that with water. Washed in the morning with shampoo to get the excess oil out. WOW...my hair loves it! I noticed a BIG difference even after the first time.

I have tried coconut oil but my hair did not like coconut oil at all.

Shepherdess
September 20th, 2012, 09:02 PM
I voted olive oil. I use other oils as well such as jojoba, but olive oil is my main ingredient. :)

akuamoonmaui
September 20th, 2012, 09:10 PM
My current favorite is kukui. It is recommended for skin conditions, but I've tried it in my hair and makes it really, really soft.

CorinaS
September 21st, 2012, 02:32 AM
I've voted for argan oil, since I have thick frizzy dry hair. You just can't have a single oil that is good for everyone.

Othala
September 21st, 2012, 03:14 AM
Camellia japonica oil.

afu
September 21st, 2012, 05:03 PM
I chose 'other' - my oil of choice is sweet almond, sometimes I combine it with coconut oil. I least like EVOO and sunflower

Amber_Maiden
September 21st, 2012, 05:12 PM
Olive oil. My hair doesn't like coconut oil very much.

Audhumla
September 21st, 2012, 05:58 PM
Almond oil for me definitely.
It's the only oil, apart from camellia oil to a lesser extent, that seems compatible with my hair in any significant amount.

JamieLeigh
November 28th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Definitely coconut oil, for me, because my hair adores it over all other oils.

neko_kawaii
November 28th, 2012, 10:15 AM
My hair seems to like both coconut and jojoba so those are the oils I use for herb-oil experiments.

melusine963
November 29th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Coconut oil for me. I didn't even realise there was such a thing as carrot oil!

Natalia
November 29th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I voted blended something with grapeseed would be nice.

DinaAG
November 29th, 2012, 10:31 PM
coconut and EVOO mix

emeraldfaery
December 3rd, 2012, 04:40 PM
I currently am using grapeseed oil, but I was using coconut oil until it started getting cold.

Seeshami
December 3rd, 2012, 05:23 PM
Olive oil. If I wasn't scared of making the naughty mess angry would would try mineral oil because he might like it, but angry naughty mess isn't worth it.

ositarosita
August 22nd, 2013, 09:17 PM
Grapeseed oil, my hair loves it.

Leeloo
August 22nd, 2013, 11:14 PM
There isn't much choice since I read the research that coconut oil is the only one (better then olive and avocado) oil that penetrates hair shaft and protects from protein loss and hygral fatigue.

jacqueline101
August 23rd, 2013, 11:44 AM
I like my own blend.

nobeltonya
August 23rd, 2013, 11:55 AM
I only generally use coconut oil. Now by itself, but back when I was experimenting and mixing oils and things, I'd mix them into coconut oil. Right now, I'm using one my husband bought, which is mineral oil with amla and brahmi extracts. I generally don't use mineral oil though. :disco:

Zebra Fish
August 27th, 2013, 02:28 AM
Coconut oil with a few drops of EO ylang ylang

YamaMaya
August 27th, 2013, 04:21 PM
I'm a fan of grapeseed oil, I use it for hot oil treatments and for leave ins.

meteor
August 27th, 2013, 04:30 PM
I like mixing oils with different qualities and fatty acid profiles together. I think adding a lighter oil to a heavier one helps with penetration.
So right now, it's coconut oil / red palm oil + sesame / argan / grapeseed + neem oil for scalp.
Coconut oil + olive / avocado oil for length as a pre-poo, because they are penetrative.

meteor
August 27th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Carrot seed oil is not a base (carrier) oil, it's an essential oil that needs to be diluted pretty heavily to avoid adverse reaction. Its rejuvenation and anti-ageing qualities are incredible (thanks to caretenoids, Vitamin A, among other things), and it's a great oil for skincare and haircare.

Carrot macerated/infused oil can be used as a "base", but then it means that some other oil acts as the real carrier for the carrots to be infused into.