PDA

View Full Version : Hair growth different rates?

raingirl
October 9th, 2013, 08:24 AM
I was just wondering if anyone else has hair growth at vastly differing rates??

I'm growing out henna but getting most cut off on Friday (I'm at peace with this decision). When I put it in a bun or up in a scrunchie it's 99% blonde on my scalp and even part of the bun is blonde now too.

I walked in to book the appointment to make sure the person I was seeing could do something with the root length I have but it not be too insanely short. Most of my roots are 6-7 inches long, but there are a few patches (especially near the crown) where my growth has been much slower and I've only got 3-4 inches (mostly in the 4 inch range). There's one long area on the back right side of my neck that has almost 10 inches of natural hair!

The hairdresser thought this was unusual as hair growth is usually pretty even.

Anyone have hair that grows so unevenly?

goldenlady
October 9th, 2013, 09:05 AM
My left side grows significantly faster than my right.. If I brush my hair to my left in between trims it always seems so much longer. So annoying!

Kwantslonghair
October 9th, 2013, 09:12 AM
My left side grows faster too

spidermom
October 9th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Prior to this year, my right side grew noticeably faster. However, growth seems very even this year.

Vintagecoilylocks
October 9th, 2013, 09:22 AM

I'm growing out henna but getting most cut off on Friday (I'm at peace with this decision). When I put it in a bun or up in a scrunchie it's 99% blonde on my scalp and even part of the bun is blonde now too.

I walked in to book the appointment to make sure the person I was seeing could do something with the root length I have but it not be too insanely short. Most of my roots are 6-7 inches long, but there are a few patches (especially near the crown) where my growth has been much slower and I've only got 3-4 inches (mostly in the 4 inch range). There's one long area on the back right side of my neck that has almost 10 inches of natural hair!

That is why I have layers. I don't trim and I have four distinct different lengths of hair. After two years of monitoring this I noticed my lower rear is the fastest. My front fringe and top center rear crown are the slowest growing the same. My side rear crown is better then the middle rear and my sides are just a little faster then the fringe. What an adventure in growing out my hair.

Vintagecoilylocks
October 9th, 2013, 09:22 AM

That is why I have layers. I don't trim and I have four distinct different lengths of hair. After two years of monitoring this I noticed my lower rear is the fastest. My front fringe and top center rear crown are the slowest growing the same. My side rear crown is better then the middle rear and my sides are just a little faster then the fringe. What an adventure in growing out my hair.

MeowScat
October 9th, 2013, 09:53 AM
My right side grows faster which used to really bother me. I thought every follicle grew the same, oops!

Years ago when I was coloring and highlighting it, my roots were very uneven.

rosiedeam
October 9th, 2013, 09:58 AM
I don't know for sure, but I would assume that hair grows at different rates. I mean the rest of your body hair grow at different rates so I'd have to assume your hair is able to grow at different rates too.

sweetinlace
October 9th, 2013, 10:03 AM
I'm not sure if it's true, but I feel like my canopy grows slower than the underneath portion of my hair. It also seems like it has more damage, so maybe that has something to do with it. But I'm currently growing out layers right now, so I can't be entirely sure.

raingirl
October 9th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Ok, so it seems normal. It just seems like a huge discrepancy between 4 inches and 10... The human body is a mystery!

Vrindi
October 9th, 2013, 10:42 AM
The front sections of my hair seem to grow the fastest. This was especially obvious when I had layers, and between trims the shorter front sections would catch up to the longer ones. It surprised my stylist too— she didn't believe me until she saw it herself.

Squiggy
October 9th, 2013, 10:50 AM
My left side grows faster, and the hair along my neckline grows the fastest of all, I think! It really makes maintaining nice looking layers quite a hassle. I never thought of it as odd before, but I'm kind of glad to see this is normal!

jacqueline101
October 9th, 2013, 12:28 PM
My right side grows about half inch more.

Ashflower89
October 9th, 2013, 02:32 PM
I havent noticed any uneven growth of my own, but I have heard that the back of the head tends to grow faster. Which is something Im really hoping is true because my last pixie mullet trim ended with the stylist cutting upwards for a "bob" angle =(

milky way
October 9th, 2013, 02:53 PM
I'm pretty sure my hair does this too! When I braid my hair nowadays, I end up with one part that's around five cm (two inches?) longer than the other two - something that didn't happen two months ago, after I'd just had my hair cut!