PDA

View Full Version : Greasy hair issue

Donyyful
October 8th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Hi guys, just wanted to come here and ask a question.

I can't seem to find an answer to an issue I have with my hair. I'm sure it might be very common for all of us, but i've just been more aware of this. On the second or third day after washing my hair, my hair becomes greasy. My ends start to feel '' dry '' in a sense, but my roots feel soft since the natural oils are helping to condition it. Now, my hair is dead straight and so the oils can travel pretty easily, which is why I end up looking like a right old grease all by the second day. My ends are very very healthy and soft, especially on the first day or washing it. Regardless of using a conditioner, serum or anything to help soften up my hair, by the third day, my ends become all matted and dry on me.

Is it because of the fact that the natural oils may be '' strengthening '' my strands? My length doesn't feel extremely dry like hay, but it feels like i've done a protein treatment or i've hennaed my hair and it feels really strong. Its also very matted and I have a hard time detangling it. Does anyone know why it happens like this or anyone else who has experienced this issue?

Thanks x

Kwantslonghair
October 8th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Mine is greasy within a few hours. I would love if mine would wait 3 das

sarahthegemini
October 8th, 2013, 02:01 PM
It just sounds like your ends need conditioning more often. Could you try just dampening your ends then applying conditioner (either to rinse out or leave in) or putting coconut oil on your ends (whilst dry), or you could try using oils to seal the moisture into your ends after a wash?

Temme
October 8th, 2013, 02:21 PM
I agree with sarahthegemini. Washing your hair can moisturize it, not the shampoo part, but the water and conditioner part. After a few days without adding more moisture, your hair can slowly lose moisture and dry out. You could try CO washing so you could condition more often without shampooing more often. Or you could lightly oil your ends after a wash to seal the moisture and keep it in longer.

kaydana
October 8th, 2013, 03:32 PM
You say you're using conditioner or serum on your ends. If oils are helping the rest of your hair, maybe that's what your ends need too? You might be able to just use a boar bristle brush, which will spread the natural oils through your hair, or you could apply something like coconut oil or almond oil or any number of other oils that are popular here. You want plain oils, not the expensive silicon filled oils hair care companies try to sell you.

sarahthegemini
October 8th, 2013, 03:47 PM
I recommend either coconut (as it actually penetrates) or argan oil - it worked fantastically to seal in moisture on my ends, and even put on dry hair, it instantly gave me smooth, soft shiny ends.

Firefox7275
October 9th, 2013, 05:32 AM
Hi guys, just wanted to come here and ask a question.

I can't seem to find an answer to an issue I have with my hair. I'm sure it might be very common for all of us, but i've just been more aware of this. On the second or third day after washing my hair, my hair becomes greasy. My ends start to feel '' dry '' in a sense, but my roots feel soft since the natural oils are helping to condition it. Now, my hair is dead straight and so the oils can travel pretty easily, which is why I end up looking like a right old grease all by the second day. My ends are very very healthy and soft, especially on the first day or washing it. Regardless of using a conditioner, serum or anything to help soften up my hair, by the third day, my ends become all matted and dry on me.

Is it because of the fact that the natural oils may be '' strengthening '' my strands? My length doesn't feel extremely dry like hay, but it feels like i've done a protein treatment or i've hennaed my hair and it feels really strong. Its also very matted and I have a hard time detangling it. Does anyone know why it happens like this or anyone else who has experienced this issue?

Thanks x

Have you chelated recently to remove hard water deposits? What products are you using and do the ingredients make sense with your hair properties and dew points/ humidity?

If you are not already try using a shampoo free of anionic surfactants, sulphates and olefin sulfonates particularly are known irritants, the scalp can pump out more sebum to protect itself. Cocoamidopropyl betaine is an effective cleanser but much less irritant: also try a dry shampoo like Batiste. Contrary to popular belief ends feeling rough or 'dry' does not necessarily mean it needs more moisture (=water) it can mean it needs more conditioning (patch repairing, smoothing, softening) with the right products/ ingredients or there is build up or simply a trim because the entire protective cuticle has been lost.

Consider reviewing your diet to make it more nutrient dense and anti inflammatory: this can alter the amount and composition of your sebum. Sebum somewhat protects the root area but mostly that part is healthier because it's young so has not been exposed to much 'weathering' (brushing/ combing, shampooing, rubbing on fabrics and other hairs, sunlight, anything else in daily life that wears away the cuticle).

Carolyn
October 9th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Your description of your hair fits mine to a T. Over the years I've discovered the best routine for my hair is washing every other day. I like to CO wash about every other wash and S & C wash every other wash. CO washing has been a godsend. It gets my hair as clean as I like it but it also seems to nourish my dry ends. I like to lightly oil my ends with coconut oil. If I braid my hair I try to remember to oil the tassel. I've no luck with sulphate free products or shampoo bars. It could be my water. IDK. I like to swap my products around each wash. My hair seems to love that. If you are going 3 days between washes then I'd say that's quite a while. You may have to accept that that is as long as you can go without washing and still have your hair the way you want it.

ravenheather
October 9th, 2013, 08:07 AM
I also wash every other day. If I do want to go 3 days I wo on scalp and co on ends that balances it out for me.

PrairieRose
October 9th, 2013, 07:43 PM
I also have straight hair and it does not absorb oils well. So by the third day I look a wreck. I can't offer too much advice since I am still in search of the "perfect" routine myself. As others have said though oiling and chelating due to hard water may be a good idea.

BlazingHeart
October 9th, 2013, 08:36 PM
That pattern sounds like your shampoo may be too harsh. With a shampoo that's too harsh, the ends get dry and the roots get oily because your scalp over-produces oil to make up for being stripped. For a lot of people, SLS shampoos do that. It might be worth re-evaluating what you're washing with.