PDA

View Full Version : can hard water cause my hair to fall out??

Nadine <3
October 8th, 2013, 11:26 AM
When I'm staying at my boyfriends house, I've noticed I loose more hair as opposed to when I'm at home I loose around 4 hairs in the shower. The only thing that changed was the water. His is very hard, while mine at home is soft. It happens every time I stay here and I've been wracking my brain trying to figure it out....

Panth
October 8th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Hard water can aggravate eczema. That's the only way I could think of that it could cause shedding. Umm... or extra breakage from mechanical damage because you either get more tangles with hard water or hard water makes it more difficult to get a lather with your cleaning products?

...that's the best I've got!

Nadine <3
October 8th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Hmm, I don't have eczema and I CO wash. Tangles and the amount of scrubbing I do hasnt changed at all either. My hair just seems to shed a lot here. Oh, and my hair seems to get dirtier faster too. Weird.

Panth
October 8th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Hmm, I don't have eczema and I CO wash. Tangles and the amount of scrubbing I do hasnt changed at all either. My hair just seems to shed a lot here. Oh, and my hair seems to get dirtier faster too. Weird.

The getting dirtier faster could be an air pollution thing. Or *ahem* it could be that when you are with your boyfriend your hair is getting touched more, or leant against his face, etc. which would get it greasier faster (I just think of the smears I get on my glasses from hugging DH).

Is the hair fall specifically happening in the shower, or is it when combing too? Perhaps your hair is just getting touched more, or you wear it loose more when around him?

Nadine <3
October 8th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Ohhh, yes my hair is definitely getting touch a whole lot more. He loves to play with my hair haha That makes a lot of sense :)

The hair fall is only happening in the shower. I brush it out before I get in and I get my usual couple hairs in the brush, then I get in and I get a good hairball of fall out. My hair is loose almost always. My hair is just inching past my shoulders but I have layers up by my ears so I can't get many thing to stay up. I can do two french braids but I save those for when I'm oiling it or its just really dirty and I'm to lazy to wash it. Neither of those things have happened around my boyfriend yet though LOL

YamaMaya
October 8th, 2013, 02:07 PM
My area has hard water, and I haven't noticed more shedding than usual. I've got bigger hairballs lately, but I'm putting that down to increased length making it look like more.

spidermom
October 8th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Hmmm, well, once again (as happens pretty often in these shedding threads), I can't think of any reason why hard water would make your hair pull itself up by the roots and dive off your head in the shower. I remember from visiting my father that his hard water made my hair feel "weird", but I didn't notice anything else in particular. I really don't think it's the water. Maybe you are not as focused on your hair while you're there, so you go longer between times that you comb or brush it. I notice more shedding when I comb mine less often or wash it after leaving it up for more than a day. But that's natural; going longer gives time for more hairs to naturally shed out and appear in my comb, brush, or shower.

But I really don't know for sure.

Nadine <3
October 8th, 2013, 06:16 PM
hmm, maybe. I'm not to horribly concerned...It was just more than I'm used to. Maybe the first two times I washed I forgot to brush first or something, who knows. Could be a seasonal shed that just lined up with me coming for a visit to...:shrug: