PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions!

Ashflower89
October 8th, 2013, 03:58 AM
Im a brand new member, I think I have 2b dark ash blonde hair. So here it goes...

How do I measure my hair? Its different lengths all over.
Where the heck do I buy a satin pillowcase? I had no idea a normal cotton case was such a big nono.
Ive seen a short hair group mentioned, how can I join it?
I work at a dirty factory 3rd shift and *have* to shower daily after work. I try to go to bed asap after that. Whixh leads to either blowdrying damage or sleeping on wet hair. What should I do?

By the way, my hair is at nose length from a "starting over" pixie back in May. My current goal is shoulder length (baby steps lol)

donnalouise
October 8th, 2013, 04:06 AM
Hi, and welcome :)

You measure your hair from the start of your hairline on your forehead, over the top of your head and down your back to the longest part.

You can buy pillowcases online. Satin or Silk is good - silk is better (in my opinion) if you can afford to stretch to it because it's natural and 'breathes' more than satin, i don't much like satin because it makes me sweaty whereas the silk doesn't. I got mine from ebay.

I sleep on wet hair 99% of the time and it's fine, my hair is now waist length. Maybe try a month of each routine and see which one leaves your hair feeling the best? If you blowdry, then you should use the coolest setting you can to avoid damage. It really is a very personal thing as to what you can live with and what your hair prefers, just experiment and see, only thing is to be careful of blowdrying really HOT as i said, low heat and lots of movement to avoid hotspots is best when blowdrying.

Short hair group, i'm not sure - hopefully someone else can help with that...

Good luck :)

Ashflower89
October 8th, 2013, 04:15 AM
Thank you! If that is the normal way to measure hair, I sure dont have much. Im keeping my nape trimmed up until the sides catch up to the back. I will definitely check ebay for a silk case.

donnalouise
October 8th, 2013, 04:25 AM
Don't worry about not having much, sticking around here for any amount of time will change that ;).

Take photos once a month, it's great looking back and seeing your progress and can help motivate you if you feel like you aren't getting anywhere, i wish i had more pics of my own growth. Yep, definitely get a silk/satin pillowcase, not only great for reducing damage but you wake up in the morning with much less 'bed-head' and tangles, it really made a huge difference for me after spending most of my hair growing journey using cotton.

Kwantslonghair
October 8th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Cotton pillow cases don't bother me. I move very little during sleep, I wear my WL+ hair down and I wake up looking like it did when I went to bed. It might not work for you though. I usually wash during the day but sleep on wet hair now and then. 3 years ago I had a short cut, the sides were just at chin length and the back was shorter. I called it a wedge. Baby steps is the way to go so you do not get discouraged. Don't worry yourself so much about the length (I know it's hard) but focus on hair health. Healthy hair will seem to grow more quickly. Please post a photo if you like. Happy Growing and Welcome!

Bagginslover
October 8th, 2013, 06:09 AM
If a satin pillowcase isn't your thing, think about a sleep cap instead. They too are made of satin or silk, and you just pop in on to sleep. I ADORE mine, and they are great for overnight styling too ;)

Ashflower89
October 8th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Thanks Kwantslonghair. I do move around quite randomly throughout the night, so when I fall asleep with wet hair, I wake up with a poof or a cowlick =p My real goal is BSL, but I'm not even going to think about that right now.

Ashflower89
October 8th, 2013, 06:15 AM
If a satin pillowcase isn't your thing, think about a sleep cap instead. They too are made of satin or silk, and you just pop in on to sleep. I ADORE mine, and they are great for overnight styling too ;)

Ohh, thats a good idea too. I think I saw some satin caps in the African American hair care section at walmart.

Ashflower89
October 8th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Sorry, I didn't post those pictures properly. Here they are!
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac299/Ashflower89/hairyears_zps18504431.png

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac299/Ashflower89/Hair2013_zps5c82daaa.png