PDA

View Full Version : Good conditioner for the fall/winter

Sinthia
October 8th, 2013, 12:30 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for good fall/winter weather conditioners? I co wash, and my hair is already feeling super dry from using conditioners with hydrolyzed wheat protein and humectants.

Cone free if possible, but I think I would use cones on my length if it meant my hair didnt feel this dry/brittle as the weather gets colder.

And I am assuming that SMT is no good for this time of year, since there is aloe and honey?

Thanks!

jacqueline101
October 8th, 2013, 04:13 AM
A lot of the ladies here that co like the vo5 line or suave products. You might try the vo5 or suave products.

renia22
October 8th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Conditioners with Cetrimonium Chloride or Distearyldimonium Chloride are supposed to be good for co washing (I believe those are in suave & vo5), but conditioners with silicones supposedly aren't because of potential build up. Here's an old thread about it you might find helpful:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=50245

rock007junkie
October 8th, 2013, 06:20 AM
For the winter any conditioner that doesn't have glycerin or has it low in the ingredients list should be good. Also richer thicker conditioner seem to work best when the temperature drops.

jrmviola
October 8th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Fructis Garnier 3 minute undo. has cones and whatnot but is a very very thick condition that comes in a squeeze tube not a bottle...

Sinthia
October 8th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Thanks ladies! I have a lot of vo5 conditioners, just looking to find a really thick/moisturizing one! Will update if I find one that is awesome!

oatmealpie
October 8th, 2013, 05:35 PM
You might want to try Sally Beauty's Generic Value Product version of Matrix Biolage's conditioning balm. It's thick, cone-free, and glycerin-free.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/conditioning-balm/SBS-264074,default,pd.html

HintOfMint
October 8th, 2013, 08:25 PM
I would consider focusing on leave-ins, oils and other emollients/barriers after you wash and condition your hair. The key is to seal moisture in. I still do SMTs, but I do them the way I do regular conditioner where there's lots of moisture in the air from steam from my shower. I don't really change much in my wash/condition routine.

jlb
October 8th, 2013, 08:44 PM
I admit that I'm bad with ingredients & am perfectly happy to use whatever works best for me. But I love everything I've tried in the Shea Moisture coconut & hibiscus line & I think it's all natural?

Hootenanny
October 8th, 2013, 08:46 PM
You might want to try Sally Beauty's Generic Value Product version of Matrix Biolage's conditioning balm. It's thick, cone-free, and glycerin-free.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/conditioning-balm/SBS-264074,default,pd.html

THIS ^^^ is the best suggestion in the thread, IMO. If you haven't tried it, definitely give it a shot. It's cone free, protein free, very moisturizing, and a reasonable price. You could also do an SMT using this as the condish, and including steam during the treatment, as HintOfMint suggests.

Sinthia
October 8th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Thank you! I have the regular biolage conditioning balm, and on another thread it was mentioned that it is not very moisturizing and the Propylene Glycol works as a humectant so will dry out my hair :( This is so confusing lol!!! I cant put oils in my hair after I wash, I have really thin hair, and it just makes it stringy and greasy even with one drop.

Diamond.Eyes
October 8th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Now that the dry summer in Arizona is ending, the dry Autumn months are here (never-ending dryness where I live :() I find that -cones are a must-have for me.
I really enjoy 'It's a 10 Miracle Deep conditioner plus Keratin' and 'Tigi Serious Conditioner'. They are high-end/salon brand products but they work well for me. Especially when I sleep with one or the other in my hair with a plastic shower cap; my hair is lustrous, soft and silky. :p

jacqueline101
October 9th, 2013, 01:02 AM
Thanks ladies! I have a lot of vo5 conditioners, just looking to find a really thick/moisturizing one! Will update if I find one that is awesome!

I like the split end set the conditioner but I've noticed my champaign kisses and cashmere silk Shea butter warm vanilla seems thicker. It might be better for co washing. Sorry I didn't answer back sooner.