PDA

View Full Version : 50 plus and fabulous!

Pages : [1] 2

Henna Fan
October 7th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Hi all, a newbie here so firstly apologies if there's already a thread for the slightly more mature growers (I did look but couldn't find one) so wanted to start one specifically for this natural, shedding, thinning time of life we all eventually get too!!! (Gutted the waistline doesn't shed/thin with the same enthusiasm). Im a 50 something whose at APL having decided in my late 40s that this will be a last hurrah at long locks. Having got to APL last year, it would seem Im now stuck there. I'm a massive henna fan, just fabulous on my slightly dryer hair and has restored a shine and condition I thought I d lost 15 years ago, and having read all your wonderful tips and guides on good hair health, I'm keen to follow a new regimen to see if that will help with hair growth/retention. So if any other 50/60/70 something members want to link up on their hair growing journey, would love to here from you. Xx

Crumpet
October 7th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Not 50+ but checking in to cheer you on (I'll be joining you one day afterall!).

I saw a woman in her 70s with BSL hair the other day -- thick, grey, wavy, down and gorgeous. I complemented her on it and then 3-4 other people turned around and agreed with me and told her so directly. She turned bright red but looked really happy. It was a great moment!

kdaniels8811
October 7th, 2013, 06:55 PM
I am in, my hair is so thin but I do not care, it will grow as long it wants. Currently at mid-back abyss and I am 50 something and a henna head!

Henna Fan
October 7th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Crumpet, how sweet of you. Yes I think long locks can still look stunning at any age and its wonderful to see ladies out there sporting a mane in their twilight years. There's so many other things that go on at this age, (everything dries up!) that we get a bit pre occupied with hormone balances, finding jeans/trousers that fit our odd shapes, mourn our disappearing eyebrows etc etc that I'm in the zone to embrace it all at the moment. Why should we give up on hair just because it's a tad finer or thinner? Ive bought an eyebrow pencil (though I'm currently still practicing how not to look like a mannequin), I gave away my magic pants (super elastic waist) and bought some skinny jeans and Irregular choice shoes last week! Not sure if the jeans will last (boy they're uncomfortable :) but after quite a few years of being 'practical', it's lovely to come here and be girly, talk hair, and take some personal time out. Next stop, the spa! Xxxx

Henna Fan
October 7th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Hi KD, hair looks fab!! Well done you. I can't post pics yet as I'm a newbie, but lovely to meet you. Xx.

Crumpet
October 7th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Crumpet, how sweet of you. Yes I think long locks can still look stunning at any age and its wonderful to see ladies out there sporting a mane in their twilight years. There's so many other things that go on at this age, (everything dries up!) that we get a bit pre occupied with hormone balances, finding jeans/trousers that fit our odd shapes, mourn our disappearing eyebrows etc etc that I'm in the zone to embrace it all at the moment. Why should we give up on hair just because it's a tad finer or thinner? Ive bought an eyebrow pencil (though I'm currently still practicing how not to look like a mannequin), I gave away my magic pants (super elastic waist) and bought some skinny jeans and Irregular choice shoes last week! Not sure if the jeans will last (boy they're uncomfortable :) but after quite a few years of being 'practical', it's lovely to come here and be girly, talk hair, and take some personal time out. Next stop, the spa! Xxxx

Aweome! I'm totally for women being women and loving it at any age. Why let someone tell you how to be? Women can be gorgeous at every age. Enjoy your ride and you'll also make it easier for the rest of us. Its a total win-win.

xxx

summergreen
October 8th, 2013, 05:16 AM
I'm in :) I'm not used to thinking of myself as 50 and it always gives me a shock when I remember! I love getting inspiration from other women who want to go on being themselves rather than being defined by their age (and I've seen some very cool 50 plus men around as well!) This is a great idea for a thread :)

browneyedsusan
October 8th, 2013, 05:36 AM
Another cheerleader here! :cheer:

I bought a pair of skinny jeans, and am mastering the eyebrow pencil. (Maybelline twin pack (http://www.amazon.com/Maybelline-Expert-Pencils-104-Light/dp/B001126XI4/ref=pd_bxgy_bt_img_y/184-4874114-9838051), The "med brown" is quite auburn and goes great with my henna. Plus, it's CHEAP!)

I saw a lady in the grocery yesterday with a gray, mid-thigh length ponytail! Her ponytail was a high one, too! I debated approaching her, but decided against it because she was concentrating on shopping. Her color and length was quite impressive.

You go, girls! Grow your hair long and glorious into your 80's! :cheese:

Kwantslonghair
October 8th, 2013, 05:44 AM
I am in. I decided when I was 50 that I was growing my hair long. I had just gotten a short haircut, loved it for a few days, then hated it. I am post menopause, almost 2 years, have a few greys, little thinner than teen years but not a lot. 53 now with fairly healthy WL+ hair. I don't take any meds except a daily multi vitamin. I have very oily skin and scalp. I wash my hair in the morning and it's already greasy looking by evening. I still don't wash but every other day.

RainbowPearl
October 8th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Count me in! I think it's a great idea having this thread. I still have a hard time remembering my age. They say you're as old as you fell, and I certainly don't feel old. Still too much to do and try. It's only been a few months since I decided to grow my hair long, and I've learnt so much being on here. So much good information, and tips and tricks to help take care of your hair.

chen bao jun
October 8th, 2013, 07:13 AM
I'm in ! I just turned 56.
I'm not going to chop off my hair and start living in leisure suits, I'll tell you that.
My mom is 82, we were on the phone yesterday, last year I encouraged her to try Jamaican black castor oil on her scalp because she had thinning to the point that she had bald spots and was wearing a wig and she was unhappy. She's about ready to take the wig off now, the bald spots are all gone! (She also started doing much more gentle hair care, gave up sulphate shampoos and a few other things). Two of her buddies are doing the castor oil massages after seeing her results and after a month, they both have new growth in the bald spots, too. And I mean actual bald, not just short.
I think you can be a pretty lady at any age

chen bao jun
October 8th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Kwantslonghair, I decided to grow my hair long last year, I was 55.
It grew 10 inches in 14 months, it was already very thick and now is getting even thicker with LHC care.
I don't have to do meds yet, either. I got diabetes at age 40 but decided I didn't want to do meds so I strictly watch my diet and walk/exercise at least 3 days a week. So my blood sugar is under control without meds. I got high cholesterol and upped my walking and started eating lots of oat bran (not oatmeal, oat bran) and it went down to normal, so no cholesterol meds. I'm lucky, my family doesn't get high blood pressure.
I get issues with joints and muscles, have had tendinitis and tore my meniscus a couple of years ago, had bursitis earlier this year, but I just went to PT and learnt stretches I do every morning, when I stretch, nothing hurts.
So far, so good.
There's clothes I don't wear anymore (nothing with 'sassy girl' written across the butt with sequins) but I make sure I'm wearing a good bra (no droop) put on 'shapewear' (girdle) with outfits that need it, wear the colors in my season and accessorize carefully and don't worry about it! There are books out there also, which tell you how to focus attention on your good points and away from your 'less good' (I don't believe anything about my body that God created is 'bad' or 'ugly') and nowadays, probably even internet sites. But I ignore anything that makes global statements like: "No one over 50 should X, Y or Z" and look in the mirror or ask a good, honest friend for advice instead.

chen bao jun
October 8th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Oh, I did have to have an op for my meniscus. I meant that I did the PT after the op, of course. I don't remember which knee it was half the time now (except for the little scar) they both feel the same, no issues.

rags
October 8th, 2013, 07:38 AM
I'm a couple years short of 50, but due to severe chronic health issues, am dealing with a lot of the aging things early (some autoimmune probllems, some other). I also started menopause early, so yeah. I'm in.

I lost over half my hair to a medication shed from one of the meds they had me on some years ago and chopped my TB hair to shoulder while it regrew. Well, it never did totally regrow (I'd say I got back 1/3 of what I lost) and now I'm back almost at waist with my baby fine, thin, totally silver in front and 75 percent on top greying hair. And I don't care. It's either going to be short and thin and silver or long and thin and silver, so it may as well be long! (I'm not using silver as an euphemism. Mine are really silver, not grey. :shrug: I wish they would go white!)

I have always been kind of a conservative dresser, and that hasn't changed. i don't wear pants, so day to day is denim, cotton or corduroy skirts (usually ankle or floor length) and knit tops or sweaters, with some dresses (it's so hard to find longer dresses that aren't mexis right now! They're all so short!). With my long hair in a bun and my (often) lack of a makeup except the aforementioned eyebrow pencil :p, I am often looked at askance, but I don't care. One thing about this time of life - I dress to please myself!

spidermom
October 8th, 2013, 08:38 AM
I'll be 60 in January, with no visible thinning yet. I'm going to grow until it stops or becomes too hard to take care of, whichever comes first.

Welcome.

kitschy
October 8th, 2013, 08:41 AM
I'm in. My hair is getting thinner and my waistline thicker. Don't care. Life is good. No meds.

lunalocks
October 8th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Welcome! 57 here with hip length hair. I didn't reach waist until I was in my 50's being told in my 30s that it would never happen. Well, it happened. It happened slowly after I requested only one quarter inch trims. I still grow slowly. Trying to stretch my trims now that catnip tea has helped the splits. Hoping for TB within the next year. May make it to classic by the time I'm 60. We'll see.

breezefaerie
October 8th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I'm almost in this club :)
I plan to have tb length gray or white hair. My hair is about 15-20% white now so I have a pretty good start!

Peggy E.
October 8th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Great thread!

I went into surgical menopause at 32, but it hasn't been until the past three years, or so, that my hair has really begun thinning and scalp problems have come forward. The biggest being Sebhorea (never can spell that right!).

As with Rags, I've got serious health issues and have been housebound, mostly hospital-bed ridden, for 30 years. OMG! I can't believe how long it's been... The meds I take can't help but cause problems the longer I'm on them, but the alternative would be such that the condition of my hair would be the least of my problems. Well, not quite true - my problems would be over, if you catch my drift.

So I have quite a bit on my table - age, disability, meds, unhealthy lifestyle, stress, depression (stop me anytime...) and yet I still put effort into my hair and try to keep it long and as healthy as is possible.

The best treatment I've found for my hair issues, so far, as been NW/SO. My hair seems to love it, it's worked wondered with my scalp problems, thickened my hair up. Only problem is it is very difficult to do the smp required because my hands are in such bad shape.

I've been "elderly" far earlier than was ever meant to be, so have learned a lot dealing with the issues and changes for such an extended period of time. One thing is this: We all age differently, just as we are all individuals in every other facet of our lives.

Still, there are probably similar matters we are all dealing with and it will be interesting to have this arena in which to gather the information in one place to share with all.

Looking forward to this!

spidermom
October 8th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I have a couple of chronic health problems too - ulcerative colitis now in remission and asthma which has been torturing me lately. I have an inhaler but hate it so only use it when I feel breathless. In fact, all my meds are taken on an as-needed and when I remember and feel like it basis.

I have a lot more aches and pains than I ever imagined!

It kind of bothers me that I'll never ever be sexy and turn heads again. Oh well, I had my turn.

Peggy E.
October 8th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Guess if we're confessing: Arachnoiditis (back), Crohn's Disease, Diabetes, RA, bunch of other stuff, but this is enough....

chen bao jun
October 8th, 2013, 11:51 AM
So encouraging..

Welcome! 57 here with hip length hair. I didn't reach waist until I was in my 50's being told in my 30s that it would never happen. Well, it happened. It happened slowly after I requested only one quarter inch trims. I still grow slowly. Trying to stretch my trims now that catnip tea has helped the splits. Hoping for TB within the next year. May make it to classic by the time I'm 60. We'll see.

chen bao jun
October 8th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Your hair turns heads.

I have a couple of chronic health problems too - ulcerative colitis now in remission and asthma which has been torturing me lately. I have an inhaler but hate it so only use it when I feel breathless. In fact, all my meds are taken on an as-needed and when I remember and feel like it basis.

I have a lot more aches and pains than I ever imagined!

It kind of bothers me that I'll never ever be sexy and turn heads again. Oh well, I had my turn.

spidermom
October 8th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Your hair turns heads.

Haha, true. That's my only note-worthy feature these days; good reason to never cut it short.

dulce
October 8th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Count me in ,am 61 with gray streaked tailbone hair cut in a layered v hem.I have year round allergies,some osteo arthritis ,osteoporosis and just turned diabetic,plus have a chronic retinal problem that causes me frequent retinal detachments needing frequent emergency surgeries to keep my sight.,wow-glad I'm still alive and can still see!

chen bao jun
October 8th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I think head-turning is over-rated. People remember it with nostalgia when their looks change, but when people's heads turn to look at you, its embarrassing and annoying.
Also, sexy does not equal pretty, beautiful, elegant or gorgeous. There are plenty of very lovely old ladies, though none of them look like young Pamela Anderson or Brigitte Bardot, and maybe that's a good thing.
Raquel Welch and Sophia Loren are wonderful examples of women who managed to turn sexy into classy elegance, in my opinion.
Long hair is by its nature elegant, think of older Audrey Hepburn with her updo, and how wonderful silver haired beauties look in French rolls, chignons and hairstyles like that, I never understood this chop when you get older thing, but of course its not in my particular culture.

Haha, true. That's my only note-worthy feature these days; good reason to never cut it short.

allycat
October 8th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Can I sneak in? I'll be 50 next year. Looks like a fun group of people!

Henna Fan
October 8th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Wow! What a fantastic response, it's truly great to meet you all and kind of cool thinking we're also probable scattered worldwide. Awesome! Hi Summer green, brown eyed Susan, Kwantslonger, (I may abbreviate :) Rainbow, Chen, (what a great post about your mum, so pleased her hairs coming back), Rags (what glorious silver, it looks stunning) Spidermom, kitschy, Lunalocks (wow 57 and hip length!). Breezefairie, Peggy E, (Im a hyster sister too having had one at 40), Dulce (Wow,Wow,Wow! Tail bone at 61, you're my idol!) and Allycat. This place is awesome!

Peggy, just coming back to the hysterectomy, I didn't want to do HRT as both my mum and granny have had breast cancer, so Im very wary about the whole estrogen thing, even in its natural form. Luckily, apart from the inconvenience of night sweats and blushing up in the presence of attractive younger men (so embarrassing) I did manage to sail through the worst of it and am now well and truly out the other side. I gave up worrying about lack of sleep, (at first it drove me mad) and as soon as I stopped worrying about it, Ive happily accepted that I function quite well on 6 or 7 hours so I don't stress now if I have a broken night. So the only thing I take at the moment is a multi vitamin but I am about to try Perfectil for skin and hair. My hair shedding is bothering me at the moment, perhaps because I may be able to do something about it. So I m going to try the following and it'll be interesting to see what (if any) results I get. So my plan is;

Ive booked in for a rare trim on Thursday. I'm APL (I will do photos when I can post them), but have been stuck at APL for about a year, indeed I fear that I may be getting naturally shorter due to the amount of shed.

I'm going to try the Plantur 39 , aiming at the roots and scalp, and support my length with regular coconut oil.

Start on the Perfectil.

Learn to play the piano.

I'll try to keep a bit of a diary, certainly on the hair shed front, but I'll ask the girls at the hairdressers to take a measurement for me and see how we get on. I had changed to an organics shampoo about 6 months ago, and whilst the condition is feeling fabulous, it's done nothing on the shedding front, hence my plan for a change. It's lovely to share this with you lot , oh, did I also mention prolapse? perhaps I'll save that little tale of joy for another post :) xxxxx

spirals
October 8th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I am 40 today, so I can't join yet, but I look forward to having hair like dulce's. I can relate to the middle-aged spread. I've had it my whole life!

lunalocks
October 8th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Henna Fan, prolapse, yes! I had mine fixed, along with a hyst, 3 weeks ago. Still healing and getting used to my new body.

Learning a new instrument is terrific. I began to play violin in my 40's. Now I am concert mistress of my (beginners) community orchestra. Some dreams do come true.

Henna Fan
October 8th, 2013, 05:28 PM
I am 40 today, so I can't join yet, but I look forward to having hair like dulce's. I can relate to the middle-aged spread. I've had it my whole life!

Spirals, of course you can join in! The number really is irrelevant, I just didn't want to bore the 20 something's with tales of lost car keys and chin hair. :) xxx. PS happy Happy Birthday! Wahay, 40s are fantastic! Hope you've had a lovely day xx

spirals
October 8th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Hee--I've also had chin hair since I was 12! And I forget stuff, but that's probably from all the head injuries....lol

Henna Fan
October 8th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Henna Fan, prolapse, yes! I had mine fixed, along with a hyst, 3 weeks ago. Still healing and getting used to my new body.

Learning a new instrument is terrific. I began to play violin in my 40's. Now I am concert mistress of my (beginners) community orchestra. Some dreams do come true.

Luna, how brilliant learning the violin. Well done you and keep at it! Ive gone for the piano as I did play as a child and have always regretted not sticking with it, as I never got very far. (the lessons were painful), and also Ive picked up a full size electric one which I can plug headphones into!

Wow, 3 weeks on from your remodelling! Do hope you're doing ok. It's a big Op to get over and you do need to take things steady for a while (those tummy muscles are so key to our core strength) but I'm sure you'll be feeling fab in no time at all. Ive not gone any further with sorting the prolapse' (Ive both rectocele and entrocele) which I found out is very common after hysterectomy. It doesn't bother me too much, and as the 'downstairs toy shop' has been closed for a few years now, unless I meet some stunning young Greek Adonis, worth shaving my legs for, I'm not rushing into sorting it out. Perhaps I may need to if it progresses, but for now it's manageable. Feet up, plenty of tea and enjoy the enforced rest xxxx

Henna Fan
October 8th, 2013, 05:48 PM
Hee--I've also had chin hair since I was 12! And I forget stuff, but that's probably from all the head injuries....lol

Oh you're definitely in our club Spirals! But don't despair, it's great fun really as we stop trying to please everyone all of the time, and that's just so liberating. Have a lovely evening, I'm just signing off as it's 12:45am here and time for my warm milk but happy happy birthday once again xxx

Fairlight63
October 8th, 2013, 05:52 PM
I belong in this club also. I am 68, my hair is tbl. & silver. It is really thin & fine, so I trim it monthly trying to thicken it up. I think that it is helping some, I try to keep it around 38-40". I wear it in a braided bun most of the time or sometimes just wear the braid over my shoulder. I shed like a cat. I have to keep cleaning out my vac. brush. I can't figure out how it keeps getting in the brush when I keep it braided most of the time.

I have high blood pressure & A-Fib. I started taking Metoprolol 25mg. 2x a day & asprin for it last yr. I hope that it does not make me shed more, it is hard to tell because I have always shed a lot. It is better to take the med. than to have a stroke.

And I also have the hair on my chin, I have fought that even when I was a teenager though.

kdaniels8811
October 8th, 2013, 06:04 PM

Spidermom - you are my hero! That is exactly what I have been thinking( about me). And I am certain your lovely hair turns heads.

Andeee
October 9th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Wow, I'm really enjoying reading all of your posts! I will be 50 in 5 months. My hair is hip length and fairly thick, but lots of grey. I get it colored because I am in denial--haha! I don't look or feel my age (thank goodness). No aches and pains (well sometimes my back is sore because my job is very physical and active, lots of lifting and carrying of heavy bags and boxes--good for me and I burns lots of calories!)

I have no medical problems except for one: fibroids which causes heavy bleeding during my periods, which in turn caused me to become severely anemic two years ago. My hair became weak and thin and much of it fell out. Now I'm on prescription iron and this drug that makes me bleed less. My hair came back strong and thick.

I love long walks in the Yorkshire Dales (I push myself to do a bit more all the time), but I don't go to a gym.

I also learned a musical instrument 'later in life'. I started on Celtic harp in my 30s and fiddle a few years after that.

I am vain, and while I appreciate what chen said about turning heads, it's still nice that it occasionally happens.

AmyBeth
October 9th, 2013, 01:41 AM
I'm in too! Hi, ladies. It's very nice to be here. I consider myself very lucky that I have gotten this far in life and never had any health issues and I flatter myself that I look very good for my age. But then, I was a very very late bloomer. While you all were hot sexy young things, I was skinny and shy and awkward and tongue-tied. So I feel it's only fair to have a few extra years of health and good looks:p. But my hair has always been a great disappointment to me. I always wanted long beautiful hair and I could only ever manage long, thin, limp lackluster hair- until two years ago when I discovered that TV hair care commercials had nothing on LHC when it comes to hair-care wisdom. My hair is no longer disappointing to me. I learned about CO, massage, oilings, satin sleep caps and treating hair like antique lace! Then to top all of that TLC off, I started hendigo and now I can say I actually like my hair. I hope to maintain my health long enough to grow my hair to at least classic length. I would like some day to be comfortable with long grey hair and admire those of you who are comfortable with it. But for now, I'm happy with hendigo.

Beborani
October 9th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Almost there. For the first time in adult life I will have thick long hair, if other health issues dont crop up when I am in my fifties, thanks to minoxidil. So looking forward to fifites. I look much younger than I am which used to annoy me but I am finally learning to relish it and will enjoy it until it goes away--wheneever that happens.

embee
October 9th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Checking in here, 70s for me! Amazing, didn't think I'd live this long. ;) Thyroid is my health issue. Refused cholesterol meds: walked more, paid more attention to foods, and things went normal. Started growing out from "boy cut" in 1990. Now at just barely classic/terminal. Pretty much WO or NW/SO, depending on season. Clothing for comfort, not "good looks". Clean and pulled-together is my aim. :)

spidermom
October 9th, 2013, 09:29 AM
My hair is lower tailbone length, almost classic (2-3 more inches). I diluted shampoo the scalp area and CO the length with Renpure Originals argan oil formula, then follow with the argan oil and cone leave-in, unless I need to clarify the product residues away, then I full-strength wash with a clarifying shampoo from scalp to tips and follow with the same leave-in. My hair responds to this product better than any other that I have tried in recent years, so I'm sticking with it.

Henna Fan
October 9th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Evening lovely ladies and a big hello to fair light, Andee, Amybeth, Benorani and Embee. (Embee, in your 70s and completely computer savvy! You're awesome!). Spidermom, Ive been looking at the Argan Oil thing as it's got such rave reviews, do you use Argan with every wash? I just use coconut oil and loving the results of that, but more ammo for the arsenal is always welcome! Andee I do know exactly what you mean on the vanity front, in a healthy way. I think my hair has a huge impact on my self esteem (as I'm sure it does for all of us) but it is lovely to have something that reminds us of our femininity ...... even after 50 :) (though the kids think we've been A-sexual for the last 20 years!) and I truly sympathise with the fibroids thing that was what prompted my hysto 14 years ago. I think if Id been nearer a menopause age, I may have avoided surgery as they do shrink as soon as you start going through that phase in life, but for me, the hysto was the best thing Ive ever done. Completely changed my quality of life and chronic anaemia issues.

I had a change of heart today regards my hair trim that Id booked tomorrow, and indeed cancelled. Ive not got a stylist (as I rarely go to the hairdresser ) that I completely trust and they always hack off far more than Id want them too. So Ive been looking at home cutting (can't believe Im even considering this!) and wow, there's so many longer haired lovelies trimming their own hair, I'm truly thinking of having a go. So today, after cancelling the hair appointment, I popped into my local chemist to ask if they had any hair cutting scissors. (Grumpy old woman moment coming up) What is it with shop staff these days??? I ask, "do you have any hair trimming scissors?" She replies, "Wuts it for?" Did I really need to say , trimming hair? Anyway, They didn't have any so that's my mission for tomorrow and then I may have a little snip tomorrow evening. I'm quietly excited by the prospect and feel soooooo in control! :) But hope everyone has a good day tomorrow, and Luna hope you're doing well on your recovery. (Quick status update, still shedding at about the same rate today, but doing well on my piano scale exercises) xxx

chen bao jun
October 9th, 2013, 07:50 PM
I play piano and I also play the organ (not the pipe organ but the electronic, I have an old Lowry spinet.
Played all my life and then when I was 43 and had the health challenges, the tendinitis and carpal tunnel and pinched nerve put an end to it, I thought. I couldn't even tie shoelaces or drive my car! A great PT brought me back and now I can play almost as well as I ever did and believe I will get there again.
Those of you learning, learn to stretch before you play, take breaks and how to sit ergonomically at the keyboard (or hold the violin right or whatever) musicians are often plagued with health issues because of poor posture or going too long without a break and age makes this worse. But it can be accomodated.

chen bao jun
October 9th, 2013, 08:05 PM
So far as being sexy, one can get male attention, I am learning, for other reasons than looks.
This is a true story:
I knit pretty constantly, and in public. (Stress relief for one thing, for another, I just love it). I went to an alumni panel thing at my alma mater this year and decided to just ahead and do what I felt like and knit away while being part of a panel that undergrads were asking questions to, you know the kind of thing. We were asked to attend an undergrad party later, in the evening, to be sociable and make contact with undergrads. Its dark, the music is loud, everyone is drinking--not really my kind of thing, even when I was young. Up comes this kid, younger than my sons, looks young enough that a person could possibly get arresting for --well, you know, a person my age anyway--Anyway, long story short: This kid is attracted to me because I was knitting a sock! I had great trouble untangling myself from and getting away without being rude! He loves to see women doing 'feminine' things and girls his age don't do them (I know that is not true, but maybe it is true in an academic atmosphere), so the kid is really attracted to... grandma (me).
Is that wierd or what?
Hubby just about died laughing when he hears about this.
One does have to consider the possibility that the kid is actually a Lothario who adjusts his pickup lines to what the female in question is doing having a "Mrs. Robinson" moment--and I guess if you're drunk enough, ladies who are forty years older than you are can seem appealing enough--for one evening anyway--
I wonder that he wasn't afraid to be so.. forthcoming.. with a lady who possibly had knitting needles (sharp) still hidden somewhere is the (Coach, but not the stylish one with the logo, the old school one) handbag..?

spidermom
October 9th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Haha chen, too funny! A man about the age of my son (20-something) tried to pick me up at a Megadeth concert a number of years ago. I told him "I have a son around here right about your age; do you want to meet him?" He wasn't discouraged, but I managed to lose him. Sometimes a guy just wants a female, you know: "gotta find a woman; gotta find a woman!" I guess we still qualify.

I use coconut oil pre-wash when I remember. I don't use argan oil in and of itself, only Renpure argan oil shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in (which containes silicones as well as the oil; my hair gets along with it very well). I was ready to cut a lot of hair (dry, tangled) before I discovered this product.

chen bao jun
October 9th, 2013, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't have had trouble being rude, but we were supposed to be being nice to the undergraduates, 'forging connections between generations' I think the term was.
I don't think they meant quite as connected as my little follower intended. you know how they start to look about six years old to you, when they're actually twenty, once you get old enough? Or am I the only one this has happened to?
I msut go look up Megadeth now...

Haha chen, too funny! A man about the age of my son (20-something) tried to pick me up at a Megadeth concert a number of years ago. I told him "I have a son around here right about your age; do you want to meet him?" He wasn't discouraged, but I managed to lose him. Sometimes a guy just wants a female, you know: "gotta find a woman; gotta find a woman!" I guess we still qualify.

I use coconut oil pre-wash when I remember. I don't use argan oil in and of itself, only Renpure argan oil shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in (which containes silicones as well as the oil; my hair gets along with it very well). I was ready to cut a lot of hair (dry, tangled) before I discovered this product.

Andeee
October 10th, 2013, 02:10 AM
Chen and Spidermom, I love your stories!

Silver Sister
October 10th, 2013, 04:36 AM
I'm in. I'm 64 with a silver crown of hair, but dark under the "canopy". Hoping to grow terminal length for one last hurrah! My memories of my Grandmother combing her long, long hair and braiding it are such happy memories that I'm planning to adopt her image. She never cut it in her life time and it was super LONG until she died in her late 90's.

Good to know there are other "older" sisters among the hair growers. I'm living in a world of chop-chop hair cuts who think it's odd that I'd want more hair at this time in my life. I just love the feel and comfort of a flowing mane. Women ask me when I'm going to cut it and men compliment me.

Men never looked at me when I had short hair (chop-chop)...but now that it is over 18", I get more attention.

PS I'm a pianist, music degree, and still perform publicly.

Freija
October 10th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Also cheering you all on, and just hoping that one day, when I'm '50 plus', I'll be half as fabulous as you! It makes me so deeply happy when I see women with long hair beyond their 20s and 30s. It's inspiring, beautiful, and it gives me hope that I might be able to keep my own beloved mane with me for years and years to come. : )

embee
October 10th, 2013, 07:26 AM
As for all you musical types, I never mastered any instrument since I simply could not read the music - all those childhood piano lessons for naught, but along about 2001 when I lost a job I discovered Shapenote Music and it's my biggest favoritest hobby now. I've learned to read shapenote music just fine. Singing is something we did when I was growing up, there was always singing (mostly hymns or old lovesongs from the 1920s and before) in my childhood, so this fits me well. :)

Learning something new is great fun.

Andeee
October 10th, 2013, 07:40 AM
As for all you musical types, I never mastered any instrument since I simply could not read the music - all those childhood piano lessons for naught, but along about 2001 when I lost a job I discovered Shapenote Music and it's my biggest favoritest hobby now. I've learned to read shapenote music just fine. Singing is something we did when I was growing up, there was always singing (mostly hymns or old lovesongs from the 1920s and before) in my childhood, so this fits me well. :)
Learning something new is great fun.

I've noticed lots of people joining choirs of some type or another lately!

Just as a side note, my teacher taught me totally by ear (on harp and fiddle), the traditional Irish way, no need for reading music *at all*!

Peggy E.
October 10th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Interesting how many of us are musicians. Wonder if there's something about the art of music that is attracted to the art of long hair - sort of that classical vibe going on?

I was a classical mezzo-soprano, though also did Broadway and lots of Scottish/Irish/English folk songs - played acoustic guitar. The folk music was and still is, my real passion, though I have not done any singing outside of the house for years now.

Where once I sang with a symphony orchestra, I am now accompanied by a Scottie & Westie! You can definitely notice the difference! ;o)

One thing about my hair, doing the NW/SO cleansing routine makes it very difficult to participate in these hair care conversations. It's the same old thing every single day, my hair looks great, feels great, is super strong, but it's not something everyone is willing to put the effort into doing. It does take a while to get beyond the greasies/stringies and the smping does require a daily commitment.

I still enjoy reading along with these sorts of threads, but sometimes feel at a loss for input of my own.

For those of you who are far under the 50-something - how wonderful for you that you are taking your hair care seriously now. This means you will have a lifetime of glorious hair to enjoy and show off!

Silver Sister
October 10th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Peggy E wrote: Interesting how many of us are musicians. Wonder if there's something about the art of music that is attracted to the art of long hair - sort of that classical vibe going on?

Could it be that we have an eye/ear for beauty? How many are also artists, painters, musicians, crafters, sewers, garden or are photographers?

I also paint (water and oils), make my own earrings and hair "jewelry", garden, as well as dabble in photography.

kitschy
October 10th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Mark me as one who doesn't have an artistic bone in her body. I did play violin from age 8 to 16, but I've not played since. I can't even take a decent photo, and I abhor current fashion (although I do have my own unique quirky style.

Andeee
October 10th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Could it be that we have an eye/ear for beauty? How many are also artists, painters, musicians, crafters, sewers, garden or are photographers?

I also paint (water and oils), make my own earrings and hair "jewelry", garden, as well as dabble in photography.
I went to college for art; my focus was painting, but I don't paint these days (I guess the music replaced it).

Kitschy, your hair is amazing! So thick and spirally! I think having one's own quirky style is a kind of artistic expression.

summergreen
October 10th, 2013, 11:56 AM
I had a change of heart today regards my hair trim that Id booked tomorrow, and indeed cancelled. Ive not got a stylist (as I rarely go to the hairdresser ) that I completely trust and they always hack off far more than Id want them too. So Ive been looking at home cutting (can't believe Im even considering this!) and wow, there's so many longer haired lovelies trimming their own hair, I'm truly thinking of having a go.

Yay good for you!! Hope it goes well (I'm sure it will) :)

Re the head turning thing, yes there are some stunning over-50 ladies around - didn't Jane Fonda get voted America's most beautiful woman not long back? I'm always inspired by Felicity Kendal and Joanna Lumley (not long haired, but definitely head turners, without being so impossibly stunning as to bear no resemblance to 'real' women!) and Phyllida Law, who I think is more beautiful now than she was when younger. She does have long grey/white hair which she always seems to wear in a Gibson style and she looks amazing :)

Silver Sister
October 10th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Mark me as one who doesn't have an artistic bone in her body. I did play violin from age 8 to 16, but I've not played since. I can't even take a decent photo, and I abhor current fashion (although I do have my own unique quirky style.

But you have AMAZING hair; so you DO have an eye for beauty!!

rags
October 10th, 2013, 12:53 PM
I'm in the non-artistic type. Well, I do write bad poetry, but I'm not sure that counts. :p. I used to play flute and loved it - but was never very good at it. And I can't take a decent photo to save my life.

summergreen
October 10th, 2013, 01:34 PM

Yes!

I think we can all count ourselves as artistic on the grounds that we appreciate the beauty of long hair :) lol

summergreen
October 10th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I'm in the non-artistic type. Well, I do write bad poetry, but I'm not sure that counts. :p. I used to play flute and loved it - but was never very good at it. And I can't take a decent photo to save my life.

Playing flute, writing poetry...artistic!

kdaniels8811
October 10th, 2013, 01:44 PM
My artistry is creating great bath products, fueled by what I have learned here. There are a bunch of local ladies that have "discovered" shampoo bars and now swear by them. They think I created the idea - smiles! And my long shiny hair (thanks, hendigo!!) is a great selling point.

At almost 60 (really??? when did THAT happen?) I am blessed with good health. Four years ago I fought and beat breast cancer AND lost my waist length hair which was worse! Now it is in mid back abyss and did grow back thinner than before and it was thin to begin with. But a few more inches and I will be back where I was before I was diagnosed. I am really appreciative for the good health I do have. And of all the wonderful folks here.

kitschy
October 10th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I went to college for art; my focus was painting, but I don't paint these days (I guess the music replaced it).

Kitschy, your hair is amazing! So thick and spirally! I think having one's own quirky style is a kind of artistic expression.

Thank you for the compliments, but my hair is more a product of me finally giving in and letting nature take its course. It was a disaster as long as I was trying to make it act the way I wanted it to. I'm really not creative, and at my age I accept that. I am however, prompt, detail oriented, and curious. I value those traits, but I definitely don't add beauty to anyone's world.

AmyBeth
October 10th, 2013, 02:55 PM
With the talk about health problems, I would like to confide something I've never discussed because I think it's so morbid and might creep people out. I decided about a year and a half ago, when I turned 50, to never cut my hair again and to really try to take care of it and see how long it could really get. I really feel like I'm in a race against time. How long can I grow before I get cancer or something and it all falls out. I'd love to be 60 or 70 with knee length hair. I hope I live long enough. And I hope I'm healthy enough to enjoy it and that my DH is still here so I'm not alone. Icky stuff, huh? I wonder if anyone else ever has that kind of ideas.

lunalocks
October 10th, 2013, 03:15 PM
AmyBeth, I do think about this. I wonder how long I can grow it and it feels like a race against time. It is part of why I am so picky about trims (next trim I aim to do myself) because of the time it will take to grow that one inch back. (If I say take a quarter inch, they take one. If I say take half an inch, they take 2) and right now, it is growing so slowly. I have been doing catnip tea, keeping it up a lot and S and Ding and stretching my trims because it is in better shape due to care information I have found here.

Silver Sister
October 10th, 2013, 03:20 PM
With the talk about health problems, I would like to confide something I've never discussed because I think it's so morbid and might creep people out. I decided about a year and a half ago, when I turned 50, to never cut my hair again and to really try to take care of it and see how long it could really get. I really feel like I'm in a race against time. How long can I grow before I get cancer or something and it all falls out. I'd love to be 60 or 70 with knee length hair. I hope I live long enough. And I hope I'm healthy enough to enjoy it and that my DH is still here so I'm not alone. Icky stuff, huh? I wonder if anyone else ever has that kind of ideas.

Funny you should talk about the BIG C. I had it in March, followed by 4 hour major surgery, and decided to grow out my hair as a result of the surgery and trauma. Luckily, no further treatment, just watchful waiting. Most people don't get to be our age without a few bumps in the road. I decided to take better care of mine too, so I wouldn't need trims.

I look forward to watching YOU grow long, beautiful hair.

spirals
October 10th, 2013, 03:35 PM
I wanna have really long hair whenever I get married. (Yeah, I'm usually 10-15 years behind everyone else's timetable.) I also want to have long locks cut off and given to people I love before they harvest my organs and cremate me. (Now who's morbid? :p)

Saldana
October 10th, 2013, 04:22 PM
I'm in. My hair is getting thinner and my waistline thicker. Don't care. Life is good. No meds.

I *LOVE* your attitude!!

I'm pretty much the same in my point of view. I'm almost 53, stopped dyeing my hair, almost no makeup, natural skincare. I concentrate on being healthy, clean, and comfortable in my weight and clothing choices. No meds, no significant thinning of my hair yet. Lots and lots of white hairs coming in, I am embracing them joyfully.

Alun
October 10th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Over 50 here too.

Back when I was in college, one of the students knitted an entire scarf while she was on a bus trip [ETA: I mean just a day trip]. Not so common these days, huh? Mind you, even back then it was a remarkable feat.

One of my friends' mums became involved with a guy the same age as him. I don't know if they are still together, but it caused a lot of friction. Nice to know you've still got it, though, isn't it?

I used to sing in a band, but I'm not sure my voice would still be up to it. I marvel that some guys my age and older still sing professionally, but of course I guess you don't hear so much about the ones that no longer do.

Henna Fan
October 10th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Evening all, Loving all the posts here, Chen, Spidemom so funny, and KD so pleased you're through your bumpy patch gosh what journeys some of you have been on. Amybeth, I completely agree with thoughts of our mortality. Absolutely seize the day, the clock is indeed ticking, and doesn't it give us a whole new perspective on appreciating what we have now? Hi Alun, I was going to do the whole warm welcome bit, then spotted your post count! Just so chuffed you've dropped in, and laughing at myself here for my earlier posting about my 'downstairs toy shop'! I'm sure being in the 50 plus category, you've heard it all before anyway, but if not, apologies for some slightly more 'personal info' than may be expected (Luna, how's the remodelling doing today? :)

Well as is common these days, I popped out on my lunch to do one thing! and ended up doing something completely different. In search of the hair trimming scissors, I wandered past Debenhams and decided to pop in and try yet more eyebrow pencils. Well Ive had a great result today and found an almost perfect match. The girls were brilliant and I was trying to explain how this current fashion of black drawn triangles just don't work on the more mature face, and Id been struggling to find anything that didn't look like Id drawn lines over my brows, and they tried a Benefit light eyebrow pencil on me. It's fab! Very very natural (even though I'm dark haired, browns look so heavy on me) and really I'm chuffed to bits. Ive probably spent about £30 these last few months on various makes and various shades to try and find the right one, but the lighter colours always had an auburn tinge or browns were just so heavy. But I got this one today, a little pricey at £15 but came home and threw all the others into a bottom drawer to give away if possible. Can really recommend it ladies especially if like me it's the outside half of your brows that have disappeared. So really pleased with that, a good day, though Ive now delayed the hair cutting adventure until the weekend. Can't wait to be able to post up pictures and share with you.

Anyway, hope you all have a great day tomorrow, it's lovely to read all the artistic / musical posts, gosh I wonder if we could break some world record of choir and orchestra with the longest combined hair length???? Night all xxxx

hanne jensen
October 11th, 2013, 01:10 AM
I'm 54 and on a long hair journey. I too feel that I'm in a race against time. I had to chop from MBL back to APL due to extreme damage. My hair was matting at APL but my ends were fine. I also feel that I'm in a race against time. I've wanted knee length hair ever since I was a girl, so I had better start growing now if I want to achieve my goal.

Debra83
October 11th, 2013, 01:42 AM
I'll be 50 at the end of next year, and I'm still Henna'ing since 2008. I learned piano in my late 30's, and played guitar as a teen, and in between I sang at church, and a couple of other places but not too far out of my comfort zone! I've been drawing and painting since I could hold a pencil, and my favourite medium has been Acrylic paints - mostly landscapes. I love to knit and crochet but only in the winter! No health probs yet, even though stupidly been smoking since 11.(I've been studying about/and taking vitamins since early 20's). I too am a "late bloomer", engaged for 3 1/2 years so far, never married yet!!! Just got my driver's license about 3 years ago too!!!

I LOVE this thread!

browneyedsusan
October 11th, 2013, 05:28 AM
I have 3 years before I'm 50, and the outside half of my eyebrows is gone. I've been penciling them in for years. (My mother is 71 and doesn't have any eyebrows left. Must be genetic. Too bad I didn't get her hair; she also has almost no gray. I would look like a possum if I didn't henna!) I stupidly tried to henna them once, and just got orange skin. It was fine, though. The eyebrow pencil covered it!

I don't have health troubles, and credit good genes: my parents are in great shape, and all of my grandparents were too. (Arthritis might come for me, but hasn't yet.)

I adore this thread, BTW. Adore it. :)

Henna Fan
October 11th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Evening lovelies (and Alun, you're lovely too!). Hi Debra!

Well a relatively uneventful day here apart from my new Plantur 39 adventure, but Ive posted up in the 'product' threads re that to keep things easy to find. I will be persevering with it to give it a fair go, but so far, Ive learnt more about how to use the stuff (should have researched better in advance!) and it's way too early to tell if it's having a impact. Ive also got to weigh up that, as our hair goes in cycles, I need to make sure I use it long enough to cover a possible growth/resting phase before I pronounce on if it does or doesn't work for me. So, aren't we lucky were all a very patient lot when it come to hair!

I was having a chat to a friend this evening, and it's prompted me to just touch on HRT. We were talking about it and I was explaining my family history issues and my decision not to go down the HRT route, and for a brief moment my friend agreed how sensible it was. I was mortified, and thought I should also clarify my view here too. HRT has been an absolute god send and has improved the quality of life for millions of women over the last few decades. To not go down the HRT route, is a very personal decision to be weighed up very carefully. I do think, quite honestly, that if my symptoms had been more severe, I definitely would have taken some form of low level HRT, I was just very lucky that for the most part, my symptoms were mild. I do think that the knock on effect on me of not having any hormone replacement has been some quite obvious physical changes (lets not do the 'downstairs toy shop' conversation again!) and amongst others, my hair has/is changing. Weighing up the very slim risks from HRT is indeed a very personal decision, and yes family medical history does have an impact on that, but the value of quality of life I do think is absolutely paramount. Just touching on the Big C, but there are schools of thought that link certain cancers with stress and depression. It's all about getting the balance right for you. But HRT, like the contraceptive pill, has been an absolutely revolutionary advancement that our poor Grandmothers had to do without. I would just hate to think that I may inadvertently put someone off taking it, when it can have so many positive effects. Anyway, speech over! Hope everyone doing good today, I'm no further with the trimmers, that's a job for tomorrow. Cant wait ! Xxx

lunalocks
October 11th, 2013, 06:48 PM
I appreciate your HRT stance. I also chose to not go that route due to lots of cancer history in my family. Because of this, I also opted to do a hysterectomy along with the A and P repair and bladder sling (sorry if TMI!) and the menopause changes indeed have altered me in so many ways. I do miss my uterus. I am on the thin side and feel my loss physically (not to mention, intimately). Partly wishing I hadn't done the hyst, but it also would have "fallen" as well in due time. Plus, there was a huge cyst (benign) on my ovary. I have had, I don't know how many, ovarian cancer scares in my lifetime. So out they came.

I have 2 friends who went a little crazy with menopause (one thought she was having a nervous breakdown, the other thought she was having heart attacks and made many ER visits) and for whom HRT is indeed a life saver. I just opted out, choosing an active lifestyle and getting through the hot flashes as best I could. Have had them now for over 10 years. Others might not tolerate this, but with my family history, I did not want to take any chances. At this point in my life I feel very, very lucky to not have breast or ovarian cancer.

3 1/2 weeks post op I was sitting cross legged on my physical therapist's table (still going for the shoulder rotator cuff surgery I had in April) and she was amazed. I got the go ahead from my gyn to start dancing, exercising and even bike riding (ooh, I think it's a little too early for that). I am SO done with surgery and ready to get back to my active life. My PT is wonderful and gave me a set of core exercises that I am already mastering. I am taking this year of pain and surgery and setback as an opportunity to shape my body the way I want it to be, get my shoulder flexibility back, keep off the 5 pounds I have lost and have appreciation for every day that I am here.

So, feeling pretty good at this point. Ready to go back to work next week, and start teaching my class the week after that.

coolhair
October 11th, 2013, 06:52 PM
this thread is a great idea! almost wish i was 50+ haha

Silver Sister
October 12th, 2013, 04:30 AM
I got cancer as a direct result of taking HRT. Be careful, it's a risky choice, and be prepared for a "no-so-pretty-outcome" if you're not lucky.

RainbowPearl
October 12th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Hi All,
I have been lucky in that although I am in menopause (have been for 4 years) I have a had very few symptoms, I had about 6 months of hot flashes and then nothing. I don't know if it's the vitamins and exercises or what but I'm not pushing it (knock on wood). Even if I had symptoms, I don't think I would have chose to go the meds route. My mother did and she developed the big C, I don't know if it is tied in or not, but I am not taking that chance. I don't mean to upset anyone, I'm sure that there are different meds out there and there is nothing linking them, it's just my personal view. Always discuss things with your doctor, they can always tell you more about what meds they are suggesting for you I'm sure some are better than others.

Peggy E.
October 12th, 2013, 10:18 AM
I got cancer as a direct result of taking HRT. Be careful, it's a risky choice, and be prepared for a "no-so-pretty-outcome" if you're not lucky.

We have to be a bit careful when in making somewhat blanket statements in response to medical treatment.

Yes, HRT has an element of risk - as does getting out of bed every morning, for life is full of risks. However, there are also risks in not going on HRT and these must be weighed, too.

Everyone is truly an individual and their physical and mental needs are unique. The decision needs to be made between the patient and the physician. The experiences of those who have chosen one way or the other with HRT is always an asset - as is all information that helps us educate ourselves when having to make decisions in something as complicated and important as our healthcare.

I've been on HRT since my medical menopause 30 years ago. I have not had a single moment of regret in my decision then and the decision to continue with the treatment today. Compared to what I was going through that brought me to the relief of that surgery, I consider it a godsend to have this treatment available for those of us whose lives it has improved.

This is my experience, the experience of my mother, my sister and the friends I have who have had to make this same decision. Maybe we have all been extraordinarily lucky, I don't know, but I imagine there are many who have found relief in HRT without dire consequences.

Yes, there are those who have other stories to tell, but we have to remember to weigh all sides of the argument to make informed choices.

Silver Sister
October 12th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Anyway, back to hair again. We all have a wish for beautiful long hair and have much in common.

Madora
October 12th, 2013, 12:51 PM
I've had long hair a good part of my life and in spite of thinning due to an auto immune condition, still am growing at age 67. At times I wish I had the thickness that I had in my avatar photo...but time marches on!

I've been very pleased with the George Michael pink creme shampoo I've used since 1982 and only shampoo when my hair needs it (once a month). Air drying works for me! Brushing every day with a pure bbb has helped my hair stay healthy and shiny. My hair is now almost at knee, though admittedly it is not as thick as I'd like.

Due to shoulder and finger issues, I don't style as much as I used to, but keep my hair braided (usually a crown braid)..or two braids wound around my head. Long hair is beautiful and just because you hit a certain "age" doesn't mean you need to chop it off (unless you want to or because of medical issues).

lunalocks
October 12th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Oh, Madora! So nice to hear from you. Almost knee? You are my hair hero.

AmyBeth
October 12th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Madora, I'm so pleased to hear from you too! I used to lurk a lot and always wanted to hear what someone with hair like yours had to say. I'm sure I would still envy your hair because mine has always been so very thin, but I'm happier when it's long and thin than when it's short and thin. I'll never cut again as long as I can care for it. Maybe when I get too feeble to care for it, I'll have someone put it into dreadlocks for me.:)

renia22
October 12th, 2013, 03:41 PM
I've had long hair a good part of my life and in spite of thinning due to an auto immune condition, still am growing at age 67.

I've been very pleased with the George Michael pink creme shampoo I've used since 1982 and only shampoo when my hair needs it (once a month). Air drying works for me!

Madora- amazing! Very inspirational!

But I must admit, I had no clue what George Michael shampoo was. I read what you wrote, and I thought, "George Michael, the singer, came out with a shampoo?" http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys%20Holidays/Halloween/PumpkinFunnyFaceSmile.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/prestonjjrtr/media/Smileys%20Holidays/Halloween/PumpkinFunnyFaceSmile.gif.html)

I just looked it up, though, and it sounds very interesting!

Silver Sister
October 12th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Madora, I saw Torrin do your "Madora" hair style. I'm so jealous of your hair! Your hair is gorgeous!

Madora
October 12th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Madora, I'm so pleased to hear from you too! I used to lurk a lot and always wanted to hear what someone with hair like yours had to say. I'm sure I would still envy your hair because mine has always been so very thin, but I'm happier when it's long and thin than when it's short and thin. I'll never cut again as long as I can care for it. Maybe when I get too feeble to care for it, I'll have someone put it into dreadlocks for me.:)

I'm delighted to read that you're planning to never cut again as long as you can care for your hair, AmyBeth! And yes, long and thin can be much more appealing than short and thin. I guess it all depends on your personal preferences. Admittedly, there will come a point when the length can become a bit much (I'm reaching that point)...but a trim will solve that problem. Happy growing!

Madora
October 12th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Madora- amazing! Very inspirational!

But I must admit, I had no clue what George Michael shampoo was. I read what you wrote, and I thought, "George Michael, the singer, came out with a shampoo?" http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys%20Holidays/Halloween/PumpkinFunnyFaceSmile.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/prestonjjrtr/media/Smileys%20Holidays/Halloween/PumpkinFunnyFaceSmile.gif.html)

I just looked it up, though, and it sounds very interesting!

I chuckled when I read your reference to GM, the singer. I'm always forgetting about him.

I might caution you that some members here have found the shampoo to be offputting scent wise. Some said it had too much of a "baby powder" scent. I didn't have that problem, and as my sinuses can't take most of the scents in shampoos, I was delighted to find that the GM shampoo was just right for me (I use it sparingly and always dilute it).

It IS expensive..but if interested, you can purchase it on line from a GM salon (i.e. Enchantress in Ohio, for instance). It is not available in stores.

Madora
October 12th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Madora, I saw Torrin do your "Madora" hair style. I'm so jealous of your hair! Your hair is gorgeous!

Thank you for your sweet compliment, Silver Sister. Miss Paige has such a tremendous head of hair and I was thrilled that she decided to create a video of my favorite hairstyle. She is so talented!

chen bao jun
October 12th, 2013, 04:33 PM
What's HRT?
I do know that oral contraceptives are more dangerous than people are led to believe (my sister had a stroke on the pill in her 30's) and I do think the possibilities of things like that ought to be made clearer than drs. and medical personnel usually make them. People respond with remarks like, well, pregnancy is dangerous, too, but people tend to know that you can have issues with pregnancy (and these are much much rarer than with the pill, I have known one woman to die in childbirth in all my life here in the US, it's so very uncommon for that to happen now. I mean , you might have toxemia and have to go to bed for months and things like that, but you are not likely to die. Of course, in the third world where I am from, maternal fatalities unfortunately still quite common...)
But I'm off the subject, someone please tell me what HRT is, never heard of it...

chen bao jun
October 12th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Yes, Madora has amazing amazing hair.
And she does an amazing lace crown braid, too.

Madora
October 12th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks for your lovely compliment, lunalocks!

While I secretly hoped my hair would reach knee I never thought it would, given my age and thinning hair issues. But the tips are indeed touching the back of my knees and I'm thrilled to shreds. Perhaps that statement is a bit vainglorious because the hair is very thin at the ends...but I'll take anything I can achieve. It's kind of weird (in a strange way), not to be able braid all the way down because I run out of arms. But I bring the braid up and finish the plaiting.

chen bao jun
October 12th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Yes, I am 99% positive I will get arthritis sooner or later, I do stretches and also weight bearing exercise to make it later rather than sooner, but I know its coming.
I will also get osteoporosis, have osteopenia already but taking my calcium pills like made and walking a lot are slowing this coming for me, also.
My uncle even has osteoporosis, so even the men in my family get it. He also has something called arthrosis which I had never heard of it, but I'll probably get that too. He says his neck making noises when he moves it is one of the symptoms, alas, my neck has been making noises already, though not all the time..
Oh, well, something is going to get you unless you die young and make a beautiful corpse--and I do think you miss a lot, if you do that...
I look forward to grandchildren very much. Most of my friends already have them, but I enjoy friend's kids until my kids get ready (no point in their having kids when they aren't ready, seen too much of that.)

I have 3 years before I'm 50, and the outside half of my eyebrows is gone. I've been penciling them in for years. (My mother is 71 and doesn't have any eyebrows left. Must be genetic. Too bad I didn't get her hair; she also has almost no gray. I would look like a possum if I didn't henna!) I stupidly tried to henna them once, and just got orange skin. It was fine, though. The eyebrow pencil covered it!

I don't have health troubles, and credit good genes: my parents are in great shape, and all of my grandparents were too. (Arthritis might come for me, but hasn't yet.)

I adore this thread, BTW. Adore it. :)

chen bao jun
October 12th, 2013, 04:41 PM
I hope arthritis won't make taking care of my hair impossible.
My grandmother had it so that it was really crippling. My half sister used to wash her long hair for her, after she couldn't anymore though and she died at 93 with a tailbone length braid, carefully washed only with rainwater and aloe vera gel right from the plant, with coconut oil applied to the ends, right from the coconut...

renia22
October 12th, 2013, 06:25 PM
I chuckled when I read your reference to GM, the singer. I'm always forgetting about him.

I might caution you that some members here have found the shampoo to be offputting scent wise. Some said it had too much of a "baby powder" scent. I didn't have that problem, and as my sinuses can't take most of the scents in shampoos, I was delighted to find that the GM shampoo was just right for me (I use it sparingly and always dilute it).

It IS expensive..but if interested, you can purchase it on line from a GM salon (i.e. Enchantress in Ohio, for instance). It is not available in stores.

The scent sounds lovely, I would probably like it. I tend to like non mainstream scents. I'll keep it in mind for the future. Very interesting history of the guy who developed it, and it sounds like a lot if super long haired ladies love it!

embee
October 12th, 2013, 06:50 PM
HRT is hormone replacement therapy.

As for "noises in the neck", I was having some of that and began again to do the limbering exercize my karate teacher taught me years ago, I don't know what to call it, but drop your head forward and then towards a shoulder, then towards the back, other shoulder, and forward again. Repeat a number of times (I do more than 10) and then go the other direction. I hardly have any noises in my neck any longer. I also make an effort to turn my head as far as I can to the left and then to the right, also chin up then chin down.

Pierre
October 12th, 2013, 11:18 PM
I'm not there yet, but will be in a few months.

Wildcat Diva
October 12th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Isn't it lovely to see Madora posting again?

Silver Sister
October 13th, 2013, 05:09 AM
My Grandmother never cut her hair in her long life. She died peacefully at 97. She had arthritis in her shoulders but could still comb and braid her hair and wrap it around her head like Madora's beautiful hair. So there is hope for us all.

Edited to add: browneyedsusan wrote: "the outside half of my eyebrows is gone."

It's time to check your thyroid. Eyebrow hair loss is SOMETIMES linked to hypothyroidism.

Othala
October 13th, 2013, 08:24 AM

Yup! It's made my day to see that Madora is joining in the forum again.

I am 48 and like others have said, glad that my health is holding up well as many of my contemporaries are starting to have health issues. Main problem for me is losing weight. No matter how much I exercise or diet, I am stuck at 11 stone (height is 5' 3" and so I am technically overweight but not obese). I guess my metabolism has slowed right down now that I am in peri-menopause. Must start working out with kettle bells and do plyometrics.

I'm hoping to enter my 50s as fit and healthy as I can be. I now have grey hair and am delighted that male attention has declined. I have been pestered by men all my life and it is a relief that I have become "invisible" since I have let the grey come in.

Madora
October 13th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Wildcat Diva and Othala, you are sweet. The transition period here was a good excuse to take a long hiatus...but a long hair can't stay away forever!

spidermom
October 13th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I never gave a thought to HRT but slipped right into the crone stage with a minimum of fuss. My worst symptom was hot flashes. I still get them occasionally, usually in bed at night.

AmyBeth
October 13th, 2013, 01:23 PM

Yes! I love reading the posts of the women (and /or men) with a history of long hair, it's informative and inspiring.:applause

chen bao jun
October 13th, 2013, 03:06 PM
HRT is hormone replacement therapy.

As for "noises in the neck", I was having some of that and began again to do the limbering exercize my karate teacher taught me years ago, I don't know what to call it, but drop your head forward and then towards a shoulder, then towards the back, other shoulder, and forward again. Repeat a number of times (I do more than 10) and then go the other direction. I hardly have any noises in my neck any longer. I also make an effort to turn my head as far as I can to the left and then to the right, also chin up then chin down.
Thanks for the definition (now I feel silly) and also for the neck exercise. I do something similar but will try it your way.
I sort of sailed through menopause, no hot flashes, no anything else, my mother complained constantly when she was going through it, but I didn't take after her obviously.
I thought I deserved this because I had such miserable pregnancies. Not dangerous or anything but miserable. I had that whatever you call it that Princess Kate (I know, I should call her the Duchess of Cambridge) had where you have horrible, horrible morning sickness for all nine months. I actually kept losing weight (only time in my life), and threw up constantly, several times a day, until the moment I was on the delivery table (actually threw up there, too). My feeling now is that whatever was going with my hormones that made that happen (and people, even drs. weren't very nice about it, it didn't have a fancy name back in the 80's, they just all kept asking me--are you sure you WANT to be pregnant and suggesting tranquillizers and such), I figure whatever made my hormones do that, is the same thing that made menopause pause without incident for me. No dr. has ever told me that, but that's my guess.
I've been in menopause at least 10 years and the only thing that happened was that I don't have to use tampons anymore and never have any cramps, which is fine with me.

Silver Sister
October 14th, 2013, 01:42 PM
I've had long hair a good part of my life and in spite of thinning due to an auto immune condition, still am growing at age 67. At times I wish I had the thickness that I had in my avatar photo...but time marches on!

I've been very pleased with the George Michael pink creme shampoo I've used since 1982 and only shampoo when my hair needs it (once a month). Air drying works for me! Brushing every day with a pure bbb has helped my hair stay healthy and shiny. My hair is now almost at knee, though admittedly it is not as thick as I'd like.

Due to shoulder and finger issues, I don't style as much as I used to, but keep my hair braided (usually a crown braid)..or two braids wound around my head. Long hair is beautiful and just because you hit a certain "age" doesn't mean you need to chop it off (unless you want to or because of medical issues).

Madora, Do you also oil your hair?

Madora
October 14th, 2013, 05:23 PM
No, Silver Sister. I only brush 100 strokes a day with my bbb. Oil is anathema to me. I have used mineral oil (a few drops) after shampooing..but that is as far as I venture.

Henna Fan
October 14th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Evening lovelies, hope you've all had a good weekend. Hi to everyone especially Madora, what lovely welcome back messages, you must be a very special lady. Just catching up on the posts, and just a note on the HRT, what's encouraging is how many of us do seem to have survived the menopause with relatively manageable symptoms. Isnt that great. I do feel sometimes that this very natural stage in all our lives, is a bit of a taboo subject. It's not the sort of thing that's acceptable to discuss at dinner parties, and the knock on effect of that is that I feel we're supposed to go sit in a dark corner and not bother anyone until we're way out the other side and acceptable to society again as some reborn cuddly Granny! So it's great that so many have aired their views on this. Also, my hair has really been impacted by my hormone imbalance, so its great to hear from both HRT'ers and non HRT'ers how their hair has or hasn't changed.

Lunalocks, good luck for this week! Can't believe your going back to work so soon, wow! I know Ive said it before, but my hysto was definitely the best thing ever for me. You've had an awful lot of big changes going on in a relatively short time, so I'm sure you'll feel a little adrift for a while, but by Christmas you'll be cooking on all cylinders and feeling fantastic.

So I still haven't hacked at my hair yet. On the mission to find decent scissors, I had another fruitless day on Saturday, so have ordered a pair online. Ive also ordered a creaclip (Will pop this bit in the 'products' section) and will approach it very cautiously. The appeal of the creaclip, is my dodgy eyesight!! (Deary me, I sound 108 years old!) But as I don't want a proper cut, just a slight trim, I'm still keen to have a go. I'm really getting the hang of the eyebrow pencil, so cool, and someone mentioned thyroid, but I'm popping into the docs this week to just check that, but I have been tested a few times before, and always come in at normal levels. So I'm accepting that this is more than likely a combination of genetics and hormones.

Anyway, being in a bit of a 'self awareness' phase at the moment, I'm having a lovely time! Ive been reading through some of the hairstyles of the month and been playing with scarves this evening. (Can't wait to be able to post pictures) and I'm finding more and more hair toys that are just adorable! Isn't this place awesome. I did also read something over the weekend about not having anything near your face (jumpers, scarves etc) that are whiter than your teeth. You know I tested this, and yep, when you do look, white does make your teeth look more discoloured than they are! So yesterday I mothballed all my white blouses and jumpers and I'm wearing creams and colours and they're definitely more flattering. The teeth are looking great! (Another option is bright red lipstick, but I don't do red lippy). Gosh I'm going to be a whole new woman in a couple of weeks!

Anyway hope everyone well, and what's your favourite 50plus style? I'm avoiding scraping hair back completely as it's a tad unforgiving, but has anyone gone for a combination keeping some soft layers round the face to soften the look? Nite all xx

CurlyCap
October 14th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Ladies!

C'mon! Give me something fantastic to look forward to in my 50s!

Ever since I turned 30 people are acting like I died. "Well, you're 30 now." Boo.

So, yeah, I'll get a lot more aches and pains (and get even fatter). But surely there is some awesomeness to look forward to?

Silver Sister
October 15th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Do not regret growing older. It's a privilege denied to many.

~author unknown

rags
October 15th, 2013, 06:44 AM
The advantages of getting older to me are all mental/emotional. For me, there is more of a calmness, better judgement, and just a more "settled" feeling than when I was younger. I'm less quick to lose my temper, have more patience, know that these things too shall pass. For me, I wouldn't trade the way I feel/think now for the chaotic mess that was my 20's for anything! (though I would take the body back! :p )

Of course, since I am ill - I must add the caveat that the above for me is only true when off the stupid prednisone. On it, I'm a lunatic. :p

spidermom
October 15th, 2013, 07:00 AM
I agree with rags. Minor problems that used to send me into a frenzy barely faze me now. I used to get hurt feelings over a multitude of imagined slights, which I see by this community is a common problem in the young. I'd love to have the robust health and energy back, but I'll keep my current psychological profile thank you very much. No monthly period is a plus, too.

To cope with the harsh appearance of scraped back hair that made me look almost bald in pictures, I got bangs. It's fun; I like them. They grow so fast that I can get a multitude of styles out of them.

Madora
October 15th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Do not regret growing older. It's a privilege denied to many.

~author unknown

Thanks for that quote, Silver Sister. Very true, unfortunately.

Growing older, for me, has helped me understand what I didn't fully understand/appreciate when I was younger.

embee
October 15th, 2013, 07:44 AM
I like being older. Of course I regret the aches and pains, but for me they are quite minor. The peace of mind is priceless. Also, in my area, or at least the people I associate with, older is treated very respectfully. Offers of help and assistance are everywhere, which is kind - although I prefer to try to do by myself many things, it's good to know help is readily available.

RainbowPearl
October 15th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Have to agree, there is a calmness and patience you have now than when you were younger. No periods is also a major plus, especially since I would have cramps that would make me miss work they were so intense. Yes, I am in a much better place in life now. There are just so many different stages in life to experience.

Andeee
October 15th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Have to agree, there is a calmness and patience you have now than when you were younger.
Hmmm, I'm still trying to cultivate this, not really fully there yet!

chen bao jun
October 15th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Ladies!

Ever since I turned 30 people are acting like I died. "Well, you're 30 now." Boo.

So, yeah, I'll get a lot more aches and pains (and get even fatter). But surely there is some awesomeness to look forward to?
I've enjoyed life at every age I have been. My mom also says this is true and she is 82. And my grandmother used to say the same.

You can have health challenges at any age, and at 50 most people are really not decrepit, except where the circumstances have been highly unusual. If you are active now at 30, you should still be active at 50--to me when people say that you are not at your peak, they mean you could not be an Olympic or professional athlete anymore (except in golf). but since few of us did that anyway, what's the issue? You can still walk and cycle and swim and so far as weight gain, honestly that is not inevitable at any age. to me what that means is that some got away with eating too much (of the wrong things) when they were younger and more active but as we get older the playing field levels and everyone has to eat more healthily to stay the sizes that they like (and remember, to be in good health does not mean you have to look like a Hollywood star. those ladies are underweight, often severely underweight and there's nothing healthy about them). If you have good eating habits when young, menopause is not going to make you magically obese. Some medications contribute unwanted weight gain, but they can often be changed or adjusted and so long as your expectations are not ridiculous (i.e., you wish to weight 110 lbs at 6 feet tall) you should be just fine.
I feel one does not hit an intellectual prime under around 40 and at 50 and 60 years old, you not only have the benefit of what you have learned from experience but you have had so much more time to become well-read and to have listened to good music, seen good art, etc.
The key to being happy throughout life is to think more of others than of yourself and at 50 plus, you have had time to learn to be less self-focused and have more perspective, which should make this easier to do and ideally, one should also have developed a relationship with God that is richer than in one's teens and twenties which is even more key to keeping the ego under control (which it always needs, sorry).
Late middle age or early old age is a great time to reach out to older people and learn from them and to begin to mentor younger people, who are looking for what you just might have. This is not necessarily your own children (who tend to be defensive at this stage) but there are so many other youngsters out there--if you work they are on the job, schools and hospitals need volunteers, you probably have relatives with children if you had none of your own and you can build relationships...
Even when you get older and sicker, there are people watching you learning how to live with pain and how to die, you can be an example to them in ways you cannot even imagine
Just look outward, it is so easy to look inward and focus on your little world and your little problems, but there is so much more out there, and as I get older I see it more and more. Life is jsut not all about me, and what I want and what I think I deserve (I don't deserve anything, its all a gift from above to be grateful for at any age..)
Done preaching now. Sorry.

summergreen
October 15th, 2013, 01:17 PM
I'm generally calmer now than when younger - I think my body really prefers not having the hormonal swings every month. It's kind of like a weight has been lifted off me that I'd been carrying - without realising - since my teens.

Re 50 plus styles, yes I prefer some graduation round my face. I wear my hair up a lot more now, I used to hate wearing it up.

Silver Sister
October 15th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Turns out that estrogen really isn't our friend.

Juanita
October 15th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Wow just found this thread. I fit right in here. Just turned 60 last month.my lovely daughters took me to Bali for a week to celebrate it. I have Waist length silver/grey hair with some still dark at the back. Saled through menopause, take some meds, diabetes and blood pressure. Aqua aerobics is my favorite exercise. I like some yoga stretching too. Face and body painter. Teach the basics of crafts and love to craft. Dress definately prefer off beat. Flat shoes or at the most kitten heels. Guitar but haven't played for quite a few years now. And my Siamese cat Anakin.

Madora
October 15th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Hi all, a newbie here so firstly apologies if there's already a thread for the slightly more mature growers (I did look but couldn't find one) so wanted to start one specifically for this natural, shedding, thinning time of life we all eventually get too!!! (Gutted the waistline doesn't shed/thin with the same enthusiasm). Im a 50 something whose at APL having decided in my late 40s that this will be a last hurrah at long locks. Having got to APL last year, it would seem Im now stuck there. I'm a massive henna fan, just fabulous on my slightly dryer hair and has restored a shine and condition I thought I d lost 15 years ago, and having read all your wonderful tips and guides on good hair health, I'm keen to follow a new regimen to see if that will help with hair growth/retention. So if any other 50/60/70 something members want to link up on their hair growing journey, would love to here from you. Xx

I like your enthusiasm, Henna Fan!

Don't despair about your length seeming to "stall" at a certain point. Many members here have encountered the same dilemma..only to have their hair start growing anew.

Don't have much advice except to eat a balance diet and drink water..and handle your hair like it was a piece of antique lace (i.e. stay away from heat styling, electric curlers, blow fryers. Air drying is gentler on your hair. Detangling gently with a wide tooth comb every day is always a good idea (start from the ends and slowly work up to the scalp. If you work in small increments, you'll find it easier to locate and deal with tangles.

Lastly, you don't need a lot of stuff to have a healthy head of hair! Just find what works and stay with it. "Less is more" applies to hair too.

Good luck on your hair journey. I love red hair but am too chicken (and impatient) to go the henna route. More power to you! Happy growing!

Silver Sister
October 16th, 2013, 03:38 AM
Agree with others. You no longer need to focus on yourself, your small flaws, your failures. Keep learning new things. Some wisdom does come with experience and age.

"How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you are?" ~Satchel Paige

Andeee
October 18th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Re 50 plus styles, yes I prefer some graduation round my face. I wear my hair up a lot more now, I used to hate wearing it up.
Years ago I never wore it up, I simply didn't know how to do it (this was before youtube and pretty much the internet in general!). With the invention of the claw clip it so easy now for me to wear it up (I haven't mastered buns, sticks, etc yet).

I don't have any layers but I also don't have lots of wrinkles or any sagging (yet!) so I don't think putting it up looks too harsh on me. Plus it's fairly wavy so that adds softness around the face.

duchess67
October 18th, 2013, 11:25 AM
I'll be 50 in another four years. I feel life is so much easier and peaceful now compared to when I was younger. My hair has started thinning, but since it is wavy doesn't look so thin, but I feel conscious about it. I have decided to grow my hair till it reaches waist. I am sure it wouldn't look bad since I've seen ladies who have long thin, fine beautiful hair.

lilahtov
October 18th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Henna Fan, I know this is a bit off topic, but I just wanted to let you know that my inspiration for growing my hair out was my beautiful mother (who is over 50!). I am a university student, and I asked her to bring a photo of herself with long hair...about TBL (hers is now closer to shoulder length) when she comes to visit me. Good luck! :D

Silver Sister
October 22nd, 2013, 04:53 AM
Madora,

How do you secure your braid? Hairpins? What kind do you use?

Thank you for your reply.

Peggy E.
October 22nd, 2013, 09:22 AM
Hello, Ladies (and Gent(s)!

One thing I've done with the battle with my thinning age/health-related issues with my hair has been to add vitamin supplements. Because I've made other changes, particularly the NW/SO, can't say they've made huge differences, but due to the fact my nails are also much stronger and healthier, I do believe I can attribute some of the turn-around to them.

In particular, I like biotin for hair and nails, but there are a couple others I take for immune health, bones, etc.

It's also important to not wear your hair with an elastic done in the same spot every day, even if it isn't particularly tight. I try to change up my styles in order to avoid this, but I do wear it up or "controlled" in some manner every day.

I love playing with parandas, too. Gives the impression of thicker hair - even though it's colored yarns or ribbons! - protects my natural hair, and allows me to have some creative fun with my otherwise sort of boring hair!

Madora
October 22nd, 2013, 09:36 AM
Madora,

How do you secure your braid? Hairpins? What kind do you use?

Thank you for your reply.

Do you mean in my avatar pic, Silver Sister? I used about 10 hairpins (not bobby pins)...3" long. Bought them at a beauty supply store (Sally's Beauty Supply carries them).

I never wear my hair up in a single braid, except at night. Here's the method:

1) Bend at the waist and bring all my hair in front of me, and detangle gently
2) Braid loosely (but only 3/4th of the way down..no hair tie at end
3) Coil the braid on top of my head, pinning as I make the coil. The pin is inserted down through the outer edge of the braid, then pivoting the pin in towards the center of the coil, the hairpin is woven in and up and down motion through the scalp hair and into the center of the coil. There should be no pulling, tugging, or pinching once the pin is in place. If there is, then just take it out and try again.
4) I use about 12 hairpins. The end tassle is tucked under the bun.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/531braidedbedhair.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/531braidedbedhair.jpg.html)

Hope this helps! PS. For clarification...except for the braided bed bun, my hair is usually in a laced crown braid around my head. If I'm feeling really pressed, then I do a "Milkmaid" variation...but tie the braids at the top of my head, then the remaining braids are drawn to the back of my head (nape), tied again, and pin the tassels under the braids on top. You sure get a lot of mileage out of 50 inches!

Silver Sister
October 22nd, 2013, 09:57 AM
Madora,

Thank you so very much for explaining your various styles. You have classic hair beauty! Thanks also for the advice about 3" hair pins.

Dianne

Madora
October 22nd, 2013, 10:05 AM
Madora,

Thank you so very much for explaining your various styles. You have classic hair beauty! Thanks also for the advice about 3" hair pins.

Dianne

My pleasure! Thanks for the compliment! By the way, the hair pins have "crimps" (little waves) in the center. You might say they were a lightweight version of Amish Hairpins. They also have rounded coverings on the ends that alas, come off in time. They also come in a shorter 2.5" size.

Silver Sister
October 23rd, 2013, 04:15 AM
Ladies!

Curlycap, It must be people younger than you who have decided that 30 is old. Forty is still young, as is 50. Old age begins at different points for each of us. It depends on your health, how you've lived your life (drugs/alcohol/weight), genetics, and the will to live. Take as good care of your health as you do of your hair.

I wouldn't want to be 20-30 again. Learn to like each stage of life.

catamonica
October 24th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I am 57. I had just past mid back until age 53. In 2009 I tried mane & tail original horse shampoo. From Wall Mart. It grew fourteen inches to waist. I added two capfuls of olive oil to my shampoo & conditioner. Now it's at hip. I wear it up 4 1/2 days. You can try it. It doesn't work for every body. It's in the pet section in the store. If you try it post & let me know if it helped. And welcome to The Long Hair Community.

Prettychild
October 24th, 2013, 04:02 PM
I am in. I decided when I was 50 that I was growing my hair long. I had just gotten a short haircut, loved it for a few days, then hated it. I am post menopause, almost 2 years, have a few greys, little thinner than teen years but not a lot. 53 now with fairly healthy WL+ hair. I don't take any meds except a daily multi vitamin. I have very oily skin and scalp. I wash my hair in the morning and it's already greasy looking by evening. I still don't wash but every other day. I'm in awe. How did you manage to go from short to WL in only 3 years. Did you take any supplements?

Silver Sister
October 28th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Re: Hair Growth Rate for over 50's Could anyone tell me if average hair growth rate is slower or still approx. 1/2" per month?

Madora
October 28th, 2013, 03:42 PM
For me it was a bit less than 1/2" per month...but I really didn't keep track on a monthly basis. I just noticed the cumulative effect between yearly length photos.

AmyBeth
October 28th, 2013, 04:15 PM
For me also a little less than 1/2 inch per month. I might add that largely due to hair care methods I've learned here at LHC, I'm realizing more growth than ever before, so it seems that I'm growing faster!:)

kmoc123
October 28th, 2013, 05:37 PM
I am IN! 53 yrs old and my hair is 45 inches long! I love my hair and will keep on growing!! Knee length is my goal. Thank you for this thread!!!

truepeacenik
October 28th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Groovy granny at Pinterest has an amazing board for silver hair.
Here is a sample:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/377950593699608509/

Glimmer
October 29th, 2013, 04:47 AM
I am 54 years old so I belong in this group. I have wanted my hair long for years now but after I quit smoking and went through menopause at 40, I gained some weight and was told I was to old to have long hair. Finally, I decided that it is now or never so I am growing it out now. So yeah I understand the feeling that you are racing against time. My hair is a little above shoulder length at the moment. I am also losing weight because again I feel like it is now or never. I am not trying to get super thin but just an acceptable weight where I am not over weight and it is not an issue. There is so much diabetes in my family that I need to lose it as weight is one of the risk factors.

My history is that I started menopause early at 40 and had very few symptoms other than hot flashes. I chose not to do HRT due to my mother having breast cancer 3x and other cancers in our family and the fact I didn't need it. My uterus was removed in 2007 and my ovaries last year due testing positive for ovarian cancer. Luckily I did not have cancer. I broke my ankle last year and recently had to have the hardware removed and some foot surgery due to other things that were broken during my fall that I didn't know about. I am now in week 2 of recovery.

Oddly enough, I don't have thinning hair or thinning eyebrows. My eyebrows are so thick that I have to pluck at least once a week and if I get them waxed they are back in 2 weeks. I would gladly give some of mine to someone else. They used to be much thicker but thank goodness they have thinned out some. I do have some gray hair but very little. Only my bangs and the top of my crown has some gray strands in it. I usually dye it once a year when I get tired of the wispy grays.

I have to learn how to take care of my hair. Is there a forum that gives us a hair regimen or is this something you all gleaned from reading the different posts on the forum?

I just want to say that you all are an inspiration to me because so often women our age are told we are to old for long hair. I wonder who decided that? I remember this lady who lived across the street from me when I was a kid and she had to be at least 80 and had long beautiful silver hair.

embee
October 29th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Welcome. :) Best wishes for a successful journey with the weight loss and hair growth.

I think we pretty much learned by reading different things. And slowly, selectively, trying different things.

I was in my 50s when I started growing my hair out. It was either short straight and thin or long straight and thin - and since I'd *always* wanted long, I figured, well, why not now? And nobody has ever said I was too old for long hair. Even in the terrible growing out phase where I couldn't really do anything but a low ponytail.

rags
October 29th, 2013, 06:13 AM
But Embee, I've seen your hair and its stunning! I do think a lot of the prejudice is against greying hair, and yours isn't even now. Whereas I've gone considerably more grey since we met (the whole top if my. Head is mostly silver now) and I have gotten those comments.

AmyBeth
October 29th, 2013, 04:43 PM
If over 50 is too old for long hair, somebody had better get the memo to some renegade hair follicles that just keep producing on heads that are way over the hill.

goldcopperbrown
October 29th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Just here to cheer people on! I plan on having long hair when I'm 50 as well.

Libbylou
October 29th, 2013, 05:57 PM
I belong with you lovely ladies. I just turned 58. I started growing my hair in September 2011. I started out at chin length. I'm at mid back now. Only about 3 inches from waist.
I was forced to take a job that pays half as much as I was accustomed to. So getting the permed old lady do was an expense I cut out. I decided to let it grow. I found LHC while looking to color my few silvers naturally. I use henna maiden light brown as gloss and like the color. I'm a cancer survivor and currently on no meds. I have not been on medication for several years now.
I take a multi, vitamin D, and omega 3,6,9 daily. I weigh a few pounds less than when I was in high school. I do a brisk walk for 3 miles several times per week.
Only complaint I have with my age is the middle age vision and arthritis, which is why I keep moving. I think I feel better now than I did in my 30's. I attribute that partially to my healthier eating habits and increased exercise.

embee
October 29th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Rags, you are too sweet! It's been quite a while since I saw you, and there are more silvers in my hair now, but overall it does appear "dark". Also, if your hair is coming in silver on the top, then you can wear your hair in a topknot and the darker part will show - that's what my mom did. When she washed her hair it was a real shocker to see how white the top of the canopy was.

We are singing in Johnson City on Saturday, at St. John's Episcopal Church Fellowship Hall, 500 North Roan St., from 10 to 3 with covered dish lunch. It would be such fun to see you again. Come and stay as long as you like! :)

Glimmer
October 31st, 2013, 05:22 AM
I think silver hair is so pretty. My gray is just some strands on my crown. When I dye it, it looks highlighted because it seems like the dye never really covers the gray as good as other parts of my hair but I wish it was all silver. If it was I would quit dying it.

Mostly the people telling me I am to old to have long hair are my mother who hates long hair on everyone and this friend of mine said her beautician told her that women look older with long hair LOL...yeah I guess she did say that since she wants to stay in business. I don't care what they say. I think we can wear our hair any way we want. We have been through enough in life to do what we want now. :)

chen bao jun
October 31st, 2013, 06:40 AM
Mine grows at about 3/4 inch per month. I don't know how fast it grew before I was 50 though as I never thought to try to calculate back then. Maybe it slowed down.
What this board helped me with was retention. I was breaking off at the ends as fast as I was growing once I hit bra strap, but did not know it, I thought that was terminal.

Re: Hair Growth Rate for over 50's Could anyone tell me if average hair growth rate is slower or still approx. 1/2" per month?

chen bao jun
October 31st, 2013, 06:46 AM
This is my hair at age 56, 100% virgin. You can see the greys better in the second pic (you can also see the damaged ends better)
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/hairtyping3c3_zpsa735b187.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/hairtyping3c3_zpsa735b187.jpg.html)
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/september12013_zps23e4544a.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september12013_zps23e4544a.jpg.html)

Fairlight63
October 31st, 2013, 07:05 AM
Thank you ! Thank you! truepeacenik for the pinterest link. I bookmarked it to look at the beautiful long hair when I am feeling like mine is making me look old & I should cut it. I need to look at long gray hair for inspiration. There are not too many long gray haired ladies to look at for inspiration around here. At the church that I go to there is only 1 lady with shoulder length gray hair. When we go out to rest. you hardly ever see ladies with long gray hair.
So when I need inspiration I will look at the pinterest link.

UP Lisa
October 31st, 2013, 08:28 AM
I would like to have bangs, but when I've had them they were so thin, and flyaway, and greasy, that it just isn't worth it.

I agree with rags. Minor problems that used to send me into a frenzy barely faze me now. I used to get hurt feelings over a multitude of imagined slights, which I see by this community is a common problem in the young. I'd love to have the robust health and energy back, but I'll keep my current psychological profile thank you very much. No monthly period is a plus, too.

To cope with the harsh appearance of scraped back hair that made me look almost bald in pictures, I got bangs. It's fun; I like them. They grow so fast that I can get a multitude of styles out of them.

Cheyne
October 31st, 2013, 10:39 AM
I am glad to see a thread here for us "mature" ladies (and gents). I am 51 with "accidental" hip length hair. I moved from a northern state to a western state in 2009. My hair was shoulder length at the time. Working insane hours, getting my family moved, and not knowing any stylists all contributed to me not having a hair cut until 2011. I haven't had another cut since, since I figured I would just grow it out as far as it will go.

I wear my hair up every day as in my job long hair could cause an industrial accident (I work around heavy equipment and lots of moving parts). I would estimate I wear my hair down 5-10 times a year, when DH and I go out for a nice dinner.

As for health issues, I am lucky I take no meds or have any health problems. I keep very active in my job and daily life and I believe that helps.

I joined this community to start taking better care of the hair I have, get some tips on conditioning, hair toys etc...So far everyone has been lovely and I enjoy reading about and looking at the pictures of everyone's hair. Once I am able to post a picture I will put one in my avatar.

Silver Sister
October 31st, 2013, 11:18 AM
Mine grows at about 3/4 inch per month. I don't know how fast it grew before I was 50 though as I never thought to try to calculate back then. Maybe it slowed down.
What this board helped me with was retention. I was breaking off at the ends as fast as I was growing once I hit bra strap, but did not know it, I thought that was terminal.

How did you get beyond BSL and breakage? What did you do differently?

Alun
October 31st, 2013, 11:39 AM
Yay good for you!! Hope it goes well (I'm sure it will) :)

Re the head turning thing, yes there are some stunning over-50 ladies around - didn't Jane Fonda get voted America's most beautiful woman not long back? I'm always inspired by Felicity Kendal and Joanna Lumley (not long haired, but definitely head turners, without being so impossibly stunning as to bear no resemblance to 'real' women!) and Phyllida Law, who I think is more beautiful now than she was when younger. She does have long grey/white hair which she always seems to wear in a Gibson style and she looks amazing :)

I've always fancied Felicity Kendal and Joanna Lumley. I think Goldie Hawn is another lady who kept her looks as she got older. Actually I know one woman in RL who is definitely over 60 and is still a real head turner and looks good in a mini. Still, I think I'll stick with the 'trouble and strife' as long as she'll put up with me!

I'm definitely over 50, but for a bloke the word 'fabulous' has other connotations.

Pamala513
October 31st, 2013, 06:54 PM
I am enjoying this thread. I am 53, trying to grow my hair. It seems to grow slowly, but I feel very encouraged by everyone here. I am learning so much about hair care here. I do color it organically only, and use organic shampoo, conditioners. I have seen a big change over the last year in hair loss, Hashimotos, and trying to get that under control so hopefully my hair will calm down and grow. Learning to be 50 with all that goes along with it. Nice to know I am not alone. :)

Jennah
October 31st, 2013, 09:48 PM
I´m close to 50, so I hope that by the time I get to 50 I´ll be all fabulous!

Hair now has been chopped one lengh at chin and I´m starting the journey!

chen bao jun
November 1st, 2013, 08:14 AM
How did you get beyond BSL and breakage? What did you do differently?
Silver Sister, all of my hair looked like those dried out ends before I got on LHC and I was 55 then, did not know if the condition was due to age or something else. I followed LHC methods, started CWC washing, did lots of SMTS, started fingercombing instead of combing (not necessary for everybody, but good for some tightly curlies), put it up most of the time instead of wearing it loose, satin pillowcases and satin linings in hats, and the whole condition completely changed. Those photos are about 18 months from the time I started, so it takes some time. I think I realized it was going to be better after about 8 months. I honestly could not believe it was the same hair!
Keep the faith.

LauraLongLocks
November 1st, 2013, 08:22 AM
Another cheerleader here! I have been told that older women shouldn't have long locks, that it's not age appropriate. I think it's bunk. My great grandmother, in her late 90s, kept her hair long enough to bun it, and it was stark white. Absolutely beautiful. I only hope I can be as stunning as she was in her old age.

PJ-Sander
November 1st, 2013, 08:51 AM
I'm in! I am 51 (will turn 52 in January) and am currently growing out my hair from a pixie cut (in May). I went through surgical menopause at age 41 in 2003 and noticed thinning a few years afterwards. I felt I had to cut my then-waist length hair very short. I still want to cry when I think about getting rid of all that hair... :( Anyway, I've grown out my length more than once since then with a few short cuts thrown in. Every time I cut it short, though, I always regret it and start growing again. I am not on any kind of HRT so the thinning problem isn't going to improve. But like another member said, I decided that I could have thin short hair, or I could have (re: enjoy) thin LONG hair and I am happiest with long.

I'm very glad somebody started this thread!! :cool:

Jennah
November 1st, 2013, 03:50 PM
I´m close to 50, so I hope that by the time I get to 50 I´ll be all fabulous!

Hair now has been chopped one lengh at chin and I´m starting the journey!

Well, that is if I ever make it to 50 and with hair! You never know. :-/

Glimmer
November 1st, 2013, 07:48 PM
What are you ladies/gents doing about coloring your hair? I know some of you that are silver all over are not coloring. I wish I could do that but my whole crown is strands of gray so when it gets long and I start wearing it straighter, your going to see those grays. Right now my hair is cut into a long bob and I have some natural curl so you don't notice the gray strands. I do not want to use henna because I don't want red hair. I was thinking of using Garnier as I heard that was pretty good, more natural or maybe try an organic dye. What do you all think?

Andeee
November 2nd, 2013, 02:21 AM
What are you ladies/gents doing about coloring your hair? I know some of you that are silver all over are not coloring. I wish I could do that but my whole crown is strands of gray so when it gets long and I start wearing it straighter, your going to see those grays. Right now my hair is cut into a long bob and I have some natural curl so you don't notice the gray strands. I do not want to use henna because I don't want red hair. I was thinking of using Garnier as I heard that was pretty good, more natural or maybe try an organic dye. What do you all think?

I simply don't want grey hair (yet!) so I dye. I used to use a boxed dye but they really are quite damaging. So now I go to a salon and get it done professionally. Yeah, still probably damaging, but my hairstylist swears it is loads less damaging than anything the general public can buy over the counter.

I think I am going to ask her to not pull the color through every time--maybe just every other time and see how that goes.

You can get henna in shades ranging from red to very dark brown--the plant grows that way. But for grey hair it may be hard to get it to penetrate as greys are notoriously resistant (the cuticle is much tighter). Someone else here (loads of others, I'm sure) can help you more with henna.

I used to work at an all natural market (like Whole Foods) and tried a couple different brands of 'organic' hair color and the verdict for me was that they just don't work. Greys were hard to cover with them, they just didn't have enough 'power' to get the job done.

rags
November 2nd, 2013, 08:20 AM
I'm not silver all over and I don't dye. :shrug: I like my streaks. It's a colour the same as any other, and I don't see why I should feel obligated to dye it. But I'm one of the founding members of the Renegrays, so..............:D

chen bao jun
November 2nd, 2013, 10:54 AM
I love your hair in your photo Rags.
When I go gray, I will not color. But to each their own. I hope that those who want to color (and don't like henna) find a non damaging way. Does coconut oil pretreatment help? Or only dyeing roots, after coconut oil?

I'm not silver all over and I don't dye. :shrug: I like my streaks. It's a colour the same as any other, and I don't see why I should feel obligated to dye it. But I'm one of the founding members of the Renegrays, so..............:D

Cheyne
November 2nd, 2013, 11:01 AM
Rags, your color is beautiful. I especially like the silver streak in front.

I am going to stop coloring for a couple of months so I can see what color my hair actually is :confused: and where I need to go from there. I plan on trimming the length and eventually (like 5 years from now) being all virgin hair. However, the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry *sigh*.

rags
November 2nd, 2013, 02:36 PM
Oh yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that other people shouldn't colour their hair if that's what they prefer! I worded that badly. I think it should just be accepted either way, with no one feeling obligated to dye - or not. Sadly, that's not the world we live in , and some have to dye for work I know, or just prefer it. It just rankles me that a whole generation now feels like they "have" to colour their hair. My sisters in law tell me repeatedly how much younger I would look with mine dyed. :rolleyes:

AmyBeth
November 2nd, 2013, 07:20 PM
I'm just not ready to have grey hair. I have tried to befriend the idea but it's just not for me. Maybe someday, but I don't think so. I had been going to the salon for so long but wasn't really happy with the color I got, and went from stylist to stylist until I found LHC. I think I read every single post having to do with henna and other plant dyes and spent months testing different recipes until I went with a 2 step hendigo process. I'm so happy with it, and so grateful that I found this forum, otherwise henna probably would never had occurred to me. I knew it was something the ancient Egyptians did, but I didn't know it was still used today. It has improved the condition of my hair tremendously. My hair bears almost no resemblance to what it was before CWC, coconut oil, henna, and all the other methods I've learned here.

Jennah
November 2nd, 2013, 08:26 PM

I´m proud of you rags. I´m not there yet, too coward to go silver. Maybe one day...

browneyedsusan
November 4th, 2013, 06:20 AM

47 years old, and chiming in. I think you could use a "deposit only" dye without damage. Others here could help you with that. Henna is red, and rock-solid permanent. You can dye over it darker, but lifting it is almost impossible. (I've never tried to lift my henna, but it's never faded one iota.)

summergreen
November 4th, 2013, 10:51 AM
This is my hair at age 56, 100% virgin. You can see the greys better in the second pic (you can also see the damaged ends better)
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/hairtyping3c3_zpsa735b187.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/hairtyping3c3_zpsa735b187.jpg.html)
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/september12013_zps23e4544a.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september12013_zps23e4544a.jpg.html)

Ohh your hair is stunning - I would love to have hair like that!

Andeee
November 4th, 2013, 10:55 AM
47 years old, and chiming in. I think you could use a "deposit only" dye without damage.
Deposit only dyes won't cover grey, though--that's the trouble. Greys are very very resistant to dye and that's why even henna has trouble covering grey. Some hennas are a two-step process which some people have luck with. But temporary conventional dye no way. Semi-permanent may work (doesn't for me). Manic panic will leave a slight stain on greys but will wash out the first time you shampoo.

summergreen
November 4th, 2013, 10:59 AM

I'm an unwilling natural, my scalp won't tolerate any colour. I'd willingly swap my BCL length for APL coloured hair! (but no shorter!!)

If I could colour, though, I'd definitely go to a salon rather than use box dye as the colours they use are less damaging - well so I've heard. And I'd go for a colour that would blend with the greys as they increase, and wouldn't give the skunk-stripe look when the roots need doing! Also perhaps highlights rather than a block colour (but that won't matter if you don't have many silvers).

What colour are you going for Glimmer? I bet it will look fab :)

Andeee
November 4th, 2013, 11:07 AM
If I could colour, though, I'd definitely go to a salon rather than use box dye as the colours they use are less damaging - well so I've heard. And I'd go for a colour that would blend with the greys as they increase, and wouldn't give the skunk-stripe look when the roots need doing! Also perhaps highlights rather than a block colour (but that won't matter if you don't have many silvers).

What colour are you going for Glimmer? I bet it will look fab :)
Salon dye is definitely much less damaging. At first I tried colors that would 'blend' and went with highlights, but they don't work for everyone. Didn't for me. I look much better with a more saturated color (a very dark brown which is only just slightly lighter than my natural (pre-grey) color). To avoid the skunk stripe effect (or badger as my husband calls it) I just have to make sure I book in for an appointment every 6 weeks.

summergreen
November 4th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Salon dye is definitely much less damaging. At first I tried colors that would 'blend' and went with highlights, but they don't work for everyone. Didn't for me. I look much better with a more saturated color (a very dark brown which is only just slightly lighter than my natural (pre-grey) color). To avoid the skunk stripe effect (or badger as my husband calls it) I just have to make sure I book in for an appointment every 6 weeks.

Actually I guess it's easier to do just the roots with a block colour? I used to have highlights many years ago and they did end up all over my head because the stylist would add new ones every time. And he would pull the colour through some of the already-coloured strands to 'brighten' them, which wasn't great for the hair...the more I think about it - Glimmer, forget I mentioned highlights!!

browneyedsusan
November 4th, 2013, 11:23 AM
I know some people have trouble with henna staining their gray, but I don't. I just use glosses--to stretch my henna stash--every month on my roots for 2 hours, and it's fine. When I put my hair up, the gray on my temples shows up as a wide, bright copper streak from hennaed grays! (I'm like the bride of Frankenstein, except copper instead of white! LOL!) I used to salon and box color, but my hair was pixied then, so any damage was cut off quick. I really like henna, because I really like having red hair. :)

Andeee
November 4th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Actually I guess it's easier to do just the roots with a block colour? I used to have highlights many years ago and they did end up all over my head because the stylist would add new ones every time. And he would pull the colour through some of the already-coloured strands to 'brighten' them, which wasn't great for the hair...the more I think about it - Glimmer, forget I mentioned highlights!!
Don't worry, it could work for some people! But yeah, next time I go in for my color I'm going to ask her not to pull the color through (doesn't really need it every time) and that way it'll be even less damaging on the already colored hair.

PJ-Sander
November 4th, 2013, 12:36 PM

I say do what makes you happy. As for me, I will not dye. I have so few grey hairs that I have to hunt for them. I do agree with Andeee, though; I'd suggest going to a good salon to have it done.

chen bao jun
November 4th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Thanks! I did not have hair like this before LHC and I so appreciate this forum, and now this thread.

Ohh your hair is stunning - I would love to have hair like that!

chen bao jun
November 4th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Reasons I will probably not dye my hair (never say never):

I have black hair. I don't really want another color (my hair turned reddish once from chemical straightener and sun and I didn't like it on me) and in my experience, black hair dyed back to black is difficult to get right.

I am very allergic to tons of things, both natural and unnatural. I used to have horrid reactions when I chemically straightened my hair, sometimes my scalp would scab and bleed for almost a month afterwards. I can see the same thing happening with hair dye (and also, truthfully, with henna) and I'm done with that. As a person who's allergic to skin creams. makeup, soap, etc, the less going on me, the better.

I have very low-porosity hair, it was resistant to chemical perming and I would bet $1 million it is also resistant to hair dye.

Hairdressers hate me because my hair is thick and get angry at having to deal with 'all of that'. I would just as well stay away from them and save us both the agony. Dyeing my hair will have me back at the hairdresser, unless I do it at home, in which case

I put things off. I would rather have grey streaks or totally grey hair than grey roots and the rest obviously dyed, which is what would happen.

My grandmother's hair thinned remarkably once she started dyeing it--and lo and behold, it came back to the same thickness once she stopped. Although I complain about my thick hair, I don't really know how to deal with any other kind.

I don't have the kind of job where they care. Neither do I have a husband who cares. I can understand why you would dye your hair if hubby found you unattractive or if you would get fired, which I know does happen.

I know a lot of people with grey hair who are very attractive. Of course, maybe only the ones who grey attractively let themselves go grey, which is why I'm saying, never say never. If I look hideous with gray hair, I reserve the right to retract all the above statements and dye my hair, in spite of my reluctance and what I think will be major inconvenience.

In my experience, though, it is a choice and just that. I don't believe that grey hair makes people look older--there are plenty of prematurely grey people with young faces and plenty of people who are not grey who don't look young. For instance, former President Reagan swore his hair was not dyed and I believe this (my father also never went grey, it happens) but he did not look 25 years old or anything, he just looked like a man in his 70's with black hair. Which is fine, too. It's just a neutral thing, in my opinion, and I am sorry our society tends to disrespect older people, grey or not grey, its not right.

breezefaerie
November 5th, 2013, 06:22 AM
I'm dye free as well.
I hennaed for about a decade and then decided to grow out my greys and went cold turkey.
It took about two years of me maintaining at BSL length for all the henna to be gone. I'm about 15-20% grey now and love it!

Silver Sister
November 6th, 2013, 04:01 AM
Lately, I'm seeing more long hairs that are over 50.

Glimmer
November 10th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Well I am not sure what I will do with my strands of gray hair. My hair is almost black. Very dark brown with black in it. Right now, and this is before I found this forum, I dyed it chocolate cherry with Loreal Feria dye. It had some pretty nice conditioner that came with it and my hair is actually pretty shiny right now. I usually dye my hair about once a year LOL but then again I have been keeping it pretty short for a while now and it is pretty wavy short so you can't really see much gray. My daughter who is 33 is always telling me to just let it go gray. She swears she will never dye her hair. I am going to go natural for now and see how I like it once it is longer.

If I don't like it, then I will use henna. I have been seeing quite a few henna hair that I think is just beautiful. My hair takes to dye pretty easy too. I used to use that Natural Instincts and it covered my gray without a problem. The gray just is lighter than the rest of my hair which gives me high lights. I wish I could see profiles but I can't see a lot of pictures either if they are from this site. I guess I am to new?

So for now, it is all natural until I see what it looks like and if I don't then I will look into some other options. I just don't want to ruin my hair now that I have decided to grow it long. It looks shiny and healthy at the moment and is almost shoulder length. So not long at all.

I am encouraged that so many over 50's are taking this journey with me and growing our hair long in spite of being told we are to old or whatever.

Actually, my husband got me started on this when he said, "Hey why don't you just let your bangs grow. In all the years we have been married I have never ever seen you without bangs." This is a man who has NEVER commented on my hair once in all the years we have been together. 17 years it has been and not one peep. So then I said, "Why I just grow it all out. I had long hair in my 30's and I miss it and he said go for it." That was all it took. Now I am determined to have it long and can't wait.

Amapola
November 10th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Oh wow - ANOTHER thread I belong in and never saw before! I must really take more time to read this forum!

I'm in. 57 and just hit tailbone. I live on a farm, raise dairy goats, get up and milk every morning. I think this is good for me! I love working. I'm also a jeweler and a horsehair braider and run a business online.

On dyeing: I've been a fiber artist and used dyes for various fibers... and it can be a nasty process to get it to be permanent. I am not keen to dye my hair. My mother dyed hers for years, and then suddenly decided not to. Now... and I think this is hilarious... she is thinking of dyeing it again BECAUSE IT IS TOO FLASHY. :D Hers is pure white or silver; mine will never be that color, but I think it would look pretty cool if it ever turned that color. (Although hers, of course, is quite short.)

No one has ever told me how long my hair should or should not be. Or maybe this is it: people told me but I completely ignored them. It is none of their business. It's my hair, and if I want to have it long, then I will.

Earlier in the thread people were talking about artistry; just for fun, I decided to take up the piano again. I'm afraid I'm not very good at the piano but I keep trying and so far no birds or small animals have died from hearing me play. Perhaps some day I'll even play in front of another human being! :)

TimeForMe
November 10th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Hurrah for over 50! I've just sat and read this whole thread, since I turned 50 last year. Great thread, so encouraging. I also started last year growing out from a decades-long pixie, and have now managed a chin length bob. I want to put my hair up so badly I can't stand it. It will get there soon, I hope. And I fully intend to be the old grey haired lady with the long braid one day. Riding my Dutch bicycle. With a basket on it. And some flowers. Perhaps a baguette. In a long skirt. Why? Because I want to, and because I can. That's all the reason I need.

browneyedsusan
November 11th, 2013, 05:35 AM
@ TimeForMe: I have felt your pain, my pixied sister. You can totally do it!

:flowers:

TimeForMe
November 11th, 2013, 08:12 AM
@ TimeForMe: I have felt your pain, my pixied sister. You can totally do it!

:flowers: I've been lurking awhile, and your progress has already inspired me on the super shorties thread! I still have so many weird layers and hacked short bangs, but last night was pinning it up with all sorts of clips and things, trying to tell what it would look like once it's long enough to do it properly. I want hair toys, dang it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/MartiP/hair/5bc11a59-009b-4260-b1f1-ec4eea68577f.jpg

Amapola
November 11th, 2013, 08:34 AM
You have a great start, TimeForMe! If you can only forget about it for a while, next thing you know you will have reached a milestone.

When I first started growing my hair out I found these bows that I could put in my hair. Now, I do not recommend them because they have sharp metal edges, but at the time, I did not know any better and to this day you can see the layer that got cut by those edges... but anyway, they are the bows people wear at horse shows. They have a little hair bag attached at the back, and you stuff your hair in the bag, and then no one can see your ends... and at the same time they are protected. By protecting my hair the best I could it really started to grow. Maybe scarves would work for a while? I bet it will grow really well if you can only protect your ends somehow or other.

But anyway, I say, buy the hair toys now! Then you will be prepared! :)

TimeForMe
November 11th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Amapola, I'm going out and about in a while, and plan to search some stores for tiny clips, etc that look not damaging. My hair is also very fine and slick, so I have the added problem of needing it to hold fairly tightly, otherwise it just slips right out. My sister says to look in the little girls section - if you can find stuff that's not baby pink and blue and Disney Princess! Most of the barrettes etc that I have are likely too sharp, so I want to find some teeny clip-type things.

I live in south central Texas, so the scarf thing might work in a few weeks. We are still getting mid 70's to 80's here, so too warm for that right now. I deliberately tried to time my chin-to-shoulder grow for the winter and spring months, so that by the time it gets beastly HOT 100's here again, I'll hopefully have enough hair to get it at least somewhat up off my neck. Growing those neck lengths in the middle of a Texas summer would be pure unadulterated misery.

Glimmer
November 11th, 2013, 10:13 AM
I had a pixie at the beginning of last year. I injured my ankle and my arm pretty badly and was non weight bearing on my whole left side so I chopped my hair so I could wash it in the sink with one arm. I didn't like it that short. Nothing you can do with it. Just last month I had BSL hair and that is with trims and cuts over the last couple years and I cut off 6 inches to get rid of a bunch of layers. I kind of wish I hadn't done that now but too late. My hair is the length of that girl in Underworld. Serena? I think that was her name. It is cut a lot like that but I have bangs I am growing that are above my eyebrows. I can get my hair up in a ponytail now so I think by next summer you will be there for sure.

For pony tail holders I use really small scrunchies. I haven't tried braids or nothing because I think I have to many layers still. Maybe not though. I might try it.

OH and the people telling me I am too old to grow my hair long is a friend of mine that said her beautician told her that..of course she did and my mother who hates anyone with long hair..not sure why. She will go on and on and on about it when she sees someone with long hair. How they should cut it off ...one day, I said why don't you grow yours out some. You cut it like a mans cut...she finally shut up. Anyway she is getting up there around 71 years old so I pretty much try to ignore her these days.

Like someone else said: It is your hair. I can't wait to have it long again.

Amapola
November 11th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Oh yes, I hear you TimeForMe. I'm in NM so I understand about the summer heat!

I have extremely slick, fine hair. The little girl's covered elastics in lots of bright colors work for me. I think I got mine at Walmart so they are fairly easy to get. Another thing that worked for me was to decide where I wanted a barrette or whatever, put in an elastic *first* and put the barrette over the top of it. That way I had a chance of keeping it in for a while. But I admit I lost a ton of hair toys at first. They just would slide right out, and I live on a farm, so I've never found one again. Sigh. But chop sticks can be found very cheaply at the dollar store (sand them carefully first though!) and if you lose those no biggie, and in the meantime you can practice with sticks. I also went to the craft store and picked up cable needles for knitting, and these make a dandy "fork" to practice with (and then you can use them for knitting afterwards! If you don't lose them! :)) Or you can take double-ended needles and bend them carefully around something round, or use them for sticks. They are cheap and if they slide out and you lose them, oh well.

My personal experience was that my hair would not reliably hold hair toys until I was nearly at waist. :( However part of this may have been sheer practice. It took me a while to get the hang of making a bun. It's possible that you will be so skilled at making buns that you won't have near the trouble I did.

rags
November 11th, 2013, 12:08 PM
My hair is baby fine and what I call "Houdini" hair - it escapes everything including elastics! :p When I was growing out my pixie I was in love with these little bobby pins (yes, I know bobby pins - but these held for me, whereas no other ones I tried would hold at all) http://www.woodlandbelle.com/collections.php

I bought from her Etsy shop, which she appears to have abandoned. I also wore a lot of headbands!

PJ-Sander
November 11th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Hubby and I were in Wally World over the weekend, doing our grocery shopping, when I spotted a 50-and-fabulous lady. She looked to be around mid 50s, maybe even early 60s, and had tailbone length grey hair. It was glorious to see! I wanted to tell her how pretty I thought her hair was, but I hesitated and let the moment pass. What do you think? Would you mind if a stranger complimented you on your hair?

Amapola
November 11th, 2013, 01:06 PM
PJ-Sander, look at it this way. Lots of people apparently feel we need to hear their opinions when they don't like our hair... think about the way that makes you feel. Then think about the opposite - a complete stranger tells you that you have glorious hair. Which would you rather hear? I know that for me, someone coming out of the blue and saying, my, what nice hair you have, would really make my day. Maybe I don't have time to talk to them, but I'd at least say thank you.

AmyBeth
November 11th, 2013, 06:25 PM
I can count on one hand the number of compliments my hair has gotten, and I treasure every one. I never hesitate to tell someone how I like their hair and all of them have been delighted. Most people grow their hair because it is special to them, and knowing that others value what you value feels good! Don't hesitate to make someone's day.:flower:

Artisticat
November 11th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Hubby and I were in Wally World over the weekend, doing our grocery shopping, when I spotted a 50-and-fabulous lady. She looked to be around mid 50s, maybe even early 60s, and had tailbone length grey hair. It was glorious to see! I wanted to tell her how pretty I thought her hair was, but I hesitated and let the moment pass. What do you think? Would you mind if a stranger complimented you on your hair?

Don't be shy....always say if you can! I can imagine how may times she gets, "Why don't you cut your hair?" vs. "How glorious is that head of hair you have!!!"
Believe me - every compliment is appreciated more than you could imagine! :flower:

PJ-Sander
November 12th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks for your replies--next time I will definitely give compliments!! :thumbsup: (It would be fateful if I ran into the same woman again soon...)

Glimmer
November 12th, 2013, 01:02 PM
I ran into this girl at PT today and she had very pretty long brown hair to her waist and I told her, "Oh my you have such wonderful hair." And she said thanks so much for telling me that. I was just thinking about cutting it off...maybe not now. LOL. She did have beautiful hair. I told her that I wish I had hair that long and I would give a few weeks before you do anything drastic. She said she would probably keep growing it. I mean it was so pretty and long and soft looking....I hope she doesn't cut it.

yoginilm
November 13th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Love this thread! I am 49 and have been growing my hair out for the last five years. I cut my TB length hair last year as it just felt too heavy and hard to manage--it's waist length now. My hair is super thick, with just enough curl to frizz unfortunately! It's not as thick as it was when I was young, but still a bit of a monster to deal with. I have to blow it dry because it will still be wet 24 hours later if I leave it to air dry. I let my stylist talk me into layering the ends a few months ago, which I deeply regret. I'm trying to grow that out now. My goal this year is to really master some up-do's and braids because a ponytail looks kind of crappy at my age! I am lucky to have a local hair stylist with a henna based salon, so I've been doing that for years, but recently switched over to a low chemical dye by Organic Color Systems that she recommended. It became clear to me that I was going to want to go lighter over the years to blend the gray, which henna can't do. Hopefully by the time I want to go really light, the henna will have grown out. I would be happy to grow my grey in if it looked as beautiful as other grey ladies on the forum, but it's a really yucky color. I actually found another salon that offers the OCS line and they only charge $70 to color my hair and style it! Pretty awesome in this expensive part of the country (I'm in the DC area).

I've been dealing with Lyme disease/autoimmune problems for years and now am going through menopause. I feel very lucky that I am an acupuncturist and nutritionist, because it's allowed me to find natural solutions to all these health issues and I feel the best I've felt in many years now. Taking Chinese herbs, select supplements and getting massage and acupuncture--feel great. I walk about 2.5 miles most days, work out with bands at home and am looking at starting up Pilates again. I started taking guitar lessons a few months ago and am singing again for the first time in years, hoping to go to some open mics. Feel like my creativity is blossoming in this second stage of life!

Andeee
November 13th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Love this thread! I am 49 and have been growing my hair out for the last five years.
I just wanted to say it looks like we have a lot in common yoginilm! (The least of which is our age--49.)

UP Lisa
November 13th, 2013, 01:50 PM
I have that awful crackling in the neck. I hate it. I do neck exercises, but I still have it. Most likely from having desk jobs for 30 years.

yoginilm
November 13th, 2013, 03:24 PM
I just wanted to say it looks like we have a lot in common yoginilm! (The least of which is our age--49.)

Yes, Andeee, it looks like we do! I've been off and on this forum for years now, but haven't spent enough time to get to know people well. This is an awesome thread!

heidi w.
November 13th, 2013, 03:57 PM
I've got nothing for you. I don't know what you do, when you do it, etc. I can say I'm 54 and my hair won't grow a stitch. I wish it would but it doesn't. Sad.

Also, I am against coloring especially with henna. After about 5 years or so, I suspect that condition you've detected will be a no shine situation. Also sad.

heidi w.

chen bao jun
November 14th, 2013, 07:11 AM
HeidiW, could it be that your hair isn't growing because you are at terminal rather than because of your age?
You have so muuuch gorgeous hair and are kind of hair idol of mine (if someone can be a hair idol who is such a different hair type that you know your hair will never look like theirs and it wouldn't suit you if it did). I just admire because its so pretty.

abauer789
November 14th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I am new here too and 50 and a half years old :-)
I starting growing out my highlighted hair - after 30 years of keeping up blonde...I just was over it. I had it professionally dyed close to my natural color in December of 2012 (my last highlight was October 2012 when the stylist put too much bleach on it and I ended up with a white streak in front and damaged and breaking hair) .I have been so thrilled to see my natural color hair after all these years. And I like it more everyday! Lucky for me no grays.
I am hoping to grow it to all natural APL - If anyone needs words of encouragement for growing out dye or bleach I have them! I stalked this forum for the past year until I joined last week! I am such a newbie...I can't figure out how to post photos! Do I have to upload them to a website like facebook first???

Madora
November 14th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Yes, abauer789, upload your pix to Facebook if you'd like.

More instructions on uploading here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=114999

Please scroll down a bit and you'll see HOW TOs. You'll see 2 links about how to do it.

Glimmer
November 15th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Thank you for posting this Madora. Very helpful for those of us who are new to the site. Do you dye your hair or have it done? It looks beautiful in your picture.

I know we were talking about dyes earlier. My husband says he doesn't care if I want to go all natural so as I said I might try it but if I can't stand it I think I will try the henna. I don't mind a touch of red...just don't want orange hair LOL. But first going to try the natural approach see what I look like.

Oh and on the subject of going to a salon and having it done. I asked what it would cost to have mine colored ONE color at my current length and they said 60 bucks. How much are you all paying for waist length hair if you don't mind me asking? I am currently not working due to an injury so I can't afford anything right now...another reason to grow long LOL.

How long is everyone's hair? Mine is shoulder length.

breezefaerie
November 15th, 2013, 07:52 AM
I don't color and stopped with the henna two years ago. If you do decide to go woth henna, please know that henna is pretty much permanent - the saying goes that you don't date henna, you marry it. For a touch of red, maybe try a henna gloss, or mix henna and cassia. There are tons of recipes here on this site.
I'm about 15-20% white now and am really happy with it.

Madora
November 15th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Thank you for posting this Madora. Very helpful for those of us who are new to the site. Do you dye your hair or have it done? It looks beautiful in your picture.

I know we were talking about dyes earlier. My husband says he doesn't care if I want to go all natural so as I said I might try it but if I can't stand it I think I will try the henna. I don't mind a touch of red...just don't want orange hair LOL. But first going to try the natural approach see what I look like.

Oh and on the subject of going to a salon and having it done. I asked what it would cost to have mine colored ONE color at my current length and they said 60 bucks. How much are you all paying for waist length hair if you don't mind me asking? I am currently not working due to an injury so I can't afford anything right now...another reason to grow long LOL.

How long is everyone's hair? Mine is shoulder length.

Glad I could help, Glimmer!

My avatar pic dates from 1989 and except from some sparklies, it is still the same color (I posted a Vortex bun pic from last year over in the Hairstyle of the Month thread that's more recent). I've never dyed, though I adore red hair (frustrated brunette because my mom and maternal grandmother had wonderful red hair).

To answer your question, some strands of my hair are at knee. Hopefully, in 6 months the rest will have caught up.

Lastly, my only expense for having long hair is my George Michael of NYC (now known as Madora Long Hair Heaven) Pink Creme Shampoo. It is $21.00 for 16 oz and lasts a long time. I've been using it exclusively since 1982 (I dilute it). Great stuff (only available from GM salons).

Andeee
November 15th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I've got nothing for you. I don't know what you do, when you do it, etc. I can say I'm 54 and my hair won't grow a stitch. I wish it would but it doesn't. Sad.

heidi w.
I would imagine you are at terminal now, right? It's soooo long! And it's very pretty, too.

Andeee
November 15th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Yes, Andeee, it looks like we do! I've been off and on this forum for years now, but haven't spent enough time to get to know people well. This is an awesome thread!
I'm new here and just getting to know people. I really like this thread, too!

chen bao jun
November 15th, 2013, 11:35 AM
My neck cracking has been making me crazy these past two weeks. Suddenly got a lot worse, and pretty much always stiff, going to dr. I guess...
Did you ever go get a diagnosis?
I hope I don't have arthrosis like my uncle. Or else, my cousin told me he had it and it turned out to be cervical fusion, whatever that is. He had to have an op, oh, my.

I have that awful crackling in the neck. I hate it. I do neck exercises, but I still have it. Most likely from having desk jobs for 30 years.

chen bao jun
November 15th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Ah, Madora, you are a slow grey-er, too.
I've always loved the picture of your hair, I love how well that lace braid is done. So completely elegant.

Glad I could help, Glimmer!

My avatar pic dates from 1989 and except from some sparklies, it is still the same color (I posted a Vortex bun pic from last year over in the Hairstyle of the Month thread that's more recent). I've never dyed, though I adore red hair (frustrated brunette because my mom and maternal grandmother had wonderful red hair).

To answer your question, some strands of my hair are at knee. Hopefully, in 6 months the rest will have caught up.

Lastly, my only expense for having long hair is my George Michael of NYC (now known as Madora Long Hair Heaven) Pink Creme Shampoo. It is $21.00 for 16 oz and lasts a long time. I've been using it exclusively since 1982 (I dilute it). Great stuff (only available from GM salons).

chen bao jun
November 15th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Felt sad, talked to my best friend whose beautiful grey hair I've always envied (we're the same age but I'm a slow grey-er and she was premature, was quite grey by age 40, 42) and she told me she has dyed it. She was going back and forth on this for a long time. But she lost her job and is looking and it has been made VERY clear that she needs to in order to get a new job. She loves her grey hair and she is sad, but she has done. it.
Rest of the conversation was funny. she has also cut her hair very short. It's not a pixie but it's one of those boy-cut afros that look so stunning on some women who have tiny little features and a long neck (which she has). Anyway, she did the beginning of this summer and now decided she wants to grow her hair long again, she says to me. I say, well you did that before 2x and it was about 3 years before you got back to bra strap, so I suppose it will be the same this time. She says, in a shocked voice: "Oh, no, I don't want my hair really really long again. I just want a little more hair, maybe 3 inches more so that I can use a curling iron on it".
Silence from me, as I realize I've been on LHC so long my thinking has changed. Because I am intensely startled to hear someone refer to BLS as 'really really long' (although I still think it is 'long'). Really really long to me now means at least tailbone and more likely classic or knee....
Don't even let me get started on the part about the curling iron...

PJ-Sander
November 15th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Felt sad, talked to my best friend whose beautiful grey hair I've always envied (we're the same age but I'm a slow grey-er and she was premature, was quite grey by age 40, 42) and she told me she has dyed it. She was going back and forth on this for a long time. But she lost her job and is looking and it has been made VERY clear that she needs to in order to get a new job. She loves her grey hair and she is sad, but she has done. it.
Rest of the conversation was funny. she has also cut her hair very short. It's not a pixie but it's one of those boy-cut afros that look so stunning on some women who have tiny little features and a long neck (which she has). Anyway, she did the beginning of this summer and now decided she wants to grow her hair long again, she says to me. I say, well you did that before 2x and it was about 3 years before you got back to bra strap, so I suppose it will be the same this time. She says, in a shocked voice: "Oh, no, I don't want my hair really really long again. I just want a little more hair, maybe 3 inches more so that I can use a curling iron on it".
Silence from me, as I realize I've been on LHC so long my thinking has changed. Because I am intensely startled to hear someone refer to BLS as 'really really long' (although I still think it is 'long'). Really really long to me now means at least tailbone and more likely classic or knee....
Don't even let me get started on the part about the curling iron...

How sad and frustrating that any woman would have to dye her grey hair in order to get a job. Grrrr...

Maybe you can help her give up the curling iron, eh!

abauer789
November 15th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Yes, abauer789, upload your pix to Facebook if you'd like.

More instructions on uploading here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=114999

Please scroll down a bit and you'll see HOW TOs. You'll see 2 links about how to do it.

Thanks Madora! I will do that.

Glimmer
November 16th, 2013, 05:23 AM
OMG she is using a curling iron? I am new to this site but I haven't used a curling iron in 20 years. I hated doing it in the 80's and was happy when the style changed and I didn't have to no more. I shudder to think of all the damage that does to your hair. I can smell burning hair just thinking about it.

That is startling news to hear a person would have to dye their hair to get a job. Although I am not surprised. I will be glad to retire from the work force. With any luck I can retire at 60 and let my husband take care of me for a couple years, then collect some of my benefits I paid in all my life. I am 54 now so that would be 6 years.

I am currently unemployed but will be seriously looking early next year. I won't have dyed hair. Hopefully, that won't matter in getting a job. Once my dye is out and my hair is back to having gray I will take a picture and post it so you can see it. Of course, first I have to follow the posting a picture tutorial LOL.

chen bao jun
November 16th, 2013, 10:21 AM
It seems it is a common thing in certain careers to be non-hirable with grey hair, so sad.
My husband told me last night that she probably would not get a job with grey hair in his field. He wears his grey, but he is not searching.
I don't know why she uses a curling iron, she has type 3c or 4a hair and it is natural. She may actually be straightening it out a bit with a curling iron, I don't know. Or tidying it up? I'll ask.
I don't suppose it really matters though if she is going to keep it only 3 inches long. Any damage will be cut off constantly.
I used to chemically straighten my hair, blow dry it, flatiron and then curl it back up to look much the same as it originally did (jsut slightly looser) with a curling iron. It was just what one 'did'. I never even thought about the insanity of this, isn't that crazy?
Of course my hair never got any longer than APL.

Honestwitness
November 16th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I'm almost 64 with waist-length white hair.

AmyBeth
November 16th, 2013, 11:47 AM
It seems it is a common thing in certain careers to be non-hirable with grey hair, so sad.
My husband told me last night that she probably would not get a job with grey hair in his field. He wears his grey, but he is not searching.
I don't know why she uses a curling iron, she has type 3c or 4a hair and it is natural. She may actually be straightening it out a bit with a curling iron, I don't know. Or tidying it up? I'll ask.
I don't suppose it really matters though if she is going to keep it only 3 inches long. Any damage will be cut off constantly.
I used to chemically straighten my hair, blow dry it, flatiron and then curl it back up to look much the same as it originally did (jsut slightly looser) with a curling iron. It was just what one 'did'. I never even thought about the insanity of this, isn't that crazy?
Of course my hair never got any longer than APL.

That takes my breath away- all the time you spent on your hair!!? And that you just accepted that that's what happened. I don't have ethnic hair, so I don't have that issue, but my hair has always been quite thin, flat and I've always liked it longer than "normal". So I have never had what might have been considered "in" hair. You just didn't have long thin flat hair in the 70's and 80's without feeling somewhat freakish. I just clung to my ideal of long, longer, longest hair, even if I knew I'd never have the thick, bouncy hair that I wanted. I was not willing to damage my hair by styling it, I was not willing to spend the money or time on it, and most of all, I wouldn't know what to do with a blow dryer or curling iron if you put a gun to my head. I just never figured it out! I am in awe of people who know how to "do" their hair, and actually discipline themselves to do it. But I also feel sorry for those who make themselves slaves to a certain notion of what they feel they have to make their hair look like.

chen bao jun
November 16th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Yes, it was silly and also pointless--I'm glad I stopped. My dad always told me it was dumb and when he died, I just--stopped. wish I had done it sooner, but there it is.

embee
November 16th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Goodness, honestwitness, your hair has *really* grown! :) I hope you are very happy with it. I think it is beautiful. :)

Glimmer
November 16th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Honest witness you have just beautiful hair. I just love it!! So pretty. Congrats on the length and so healthy. What do you do to keep it looking so good?

Red Rapunzel
November 16th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Hi, everyone! Glad to see this thread! I enjoy seeing all you who have opted for long hair in your 50+ years. Some of us, like me, weren't permitted to have long hair as kids, so at last, finally, we are reveling in it.
Being a clueless technophobe, my son kindly inserted the two photos below for me and now I am writing about them. I have wavy, curly hair, still blessed with my natural color at age 65. I recently read online that grey hair is actually a sign of good health - which would explain why I don't have it. I'm used to a lot of color around my face, having been a redhead my whole life, and I thank God that my lifelong autumn color has accompanied me into my autumn years - though good health has not.

For most of my 65th year I was growing my wavy locks to about tailbone length as seen in the photo below (I hope it materializes).

http://imageshack.us/a/img607/4732/zd4t.jpg

Recently, I decided to have my locks cut back to just below BSL by a talented stylist who was able to transform my hair into the smooth, shiny, straight locks that I always wanted - but never could achieve on my own. If I could get my hair to look like this every day I would! It only looked like this on the day it was cut (and for a week after) - which is why this picture was taken.

http://imageshack.us/a/img571/7462/rrv1.jpg

I don't come to this site very often, but when I do, I hope to be able to find this thread again and check in with you all: Longhairs forever!! :joy:

Red Rapunzel
November 16th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Honestwitness, I love your hair!

Red Rapunzel
November 16th, 2013, 08:28 PM

Also, I am against coloring especially with henna. After about 5 years or so, I suspect that condition you've detected will be a no shine situation. Also sad.

heidi w.

Heidi W., is your beautiful hair still at the length shown in your photos against the monument? Do you have any recent photos of your long hair?

rags
November 16th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Honestwitness, I remember when you first showed up at the Renegray thread - and now your hair is down to waist! It's beautiful!

Amapola
November 16th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Some gorgeous heads of hair here!

I had never heard that grey was a sign of health... I thought it had more to do with genetics? But I'm not sure. My mother has white hair, but she is a blonde so her hair did not really go grey it went pure white. My father did not get grey hair until he was in his late 60s, his hair was black up until then. And then he only got a very little grizzled sort of look, his hair did not go grey all the way.

It would be interesting to find out. I always thought it would be cool if my hair turned white like my mother's hair, but she does not think it will. Time will tell I guess.

summergreen
November 17th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Honestwitness, your hair is inspirational! I feel much more hope for my hair's future when I see really beautiful long white hair like yours :)

Red Rapunzel, your hair is beautiful also - you are so lucky to still have that lovely colour :)

spidermom
November 18th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Good morning all. As you may have seen on the Mane Forum, I recently got my tailbone-length hair cut into a V with layers, then decided I wanted it shorter and got it cut to waist length, same layered V shape, exactly one week later. I love it so much! It's light and easy to comb out in a way that the tailbone blunt cut never was. I was feeling so old-looking with my buns; it really made me down about myself. Now I can wear it loose without detangling becoming a nightmare. Yesterday I was walking across the shopping center parking lot with my hair blowing back from my face, and it felt so good. I felt so young and happy that it startled me to catch my aged reflection in the store glass.

Of course waist-length hair is still long hair, but it feels short to me! I plan to enjoy it this length awhile, maybe even a bit shorter, and feel free to use the hot rollers or blow-dryer when I want.

On the subject of dyeing hair to get a job, if that were the case for me (and it might be), I'd use a temporary dye and let it gradually fade out once I was established in the job. I think I mentioned that I've been outsourced and my job ends Nov 30. I've got to find a new job/career at age 60 (in January)!

Amapola
November 18th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Spidermom, what a great description of loving your new hair cut! It sounds fabulous (as far as how it feels to you, it LOOKS fabulous too) and how wonderful to have that freeing feeling. Good for you!

That sucks about having to find a new career. So many people are facing this right now, and yet there seems to be a sort of prejudice against the older worker (like the need to dye your hair to get hired for example) which to me is so wrong. These are tough times for a lot of people. Many are not able to retire but must keep working. It's very hard.

Red Rapunzel
November 18th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Summergreen: Thanks for your kind words. I do feel so lucky to still have my natural red color, just as Madora still has her natural color. Incidentally, I love your cat!

Red Rapunzel
November 18th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Amapola: As for grey hair really being a sign of good health - who knows? That was just something surprising that I accidentally came upon on the Internet: It may or may not be true- but in my case it does seem to be true. However, I do agree that heredity plays a role in greying . . . my grandfather had most of his hair color at age 94 with just a grey fringe - yet my mother's auburn locks turned in her 70s! One thing is certain: If and when my hair does lose its color, I will be dying it for sure - because I am so used to vibrant color and have features too fair to look good in grey. I can admire others with beautiful grey or white hair that looks terrific on them - but those shades would not look good on me: I'd be close to "invisible" with grey or white hair - i.e. totally washed out.

Red Rapunzel
November 18th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Spidermom: Interesting hearing about the positive experiences you're having with your new waistlength V-cut with layers. I have just about forever had a straight-across blunt cut - though often wondered how a V-cut would be - considering it - but too reluctant to "take the plunge." Maybe I'll revisit that - hearing about your joyous experiences with it. Regarding the "aged reflection" that "startled" you - remember what the aging Jackie O. said about that, "Just wear sunglasses!" That works for me.

Also, Spidermom, I second your suggestion on the subject of dying hair, using a temporary dye, to secure employment - but I would also suggest continuing to color it to keep the job - because, sadly, in our superficial culture and workplace, that can make the difference between "employed" and "unemployed."

I like your hair - beautiful color and flowing well!

kitschy
November 18th, 2013, 03:38 PM
My hair is gray, but I get the weirdest photos. These two pictures were taken within minutes of each other. I had a purple jacket on in one picture and my hair turned out much truer to my real color than the other photo with the light blue top.

Too bad hair dye can't be this temporary.

http://images114.fotki.com/v271/photos/0/1803120/9931107/Blndvsgray-vi.png

chen bao jun
November 18th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Wow, amazing thick curls.

My hair is gray, but I get the weirdest photos. These two pictures were taken within minutes of each other. I had a purple jacket on in one picture and my hair turned out much truer to my real color than the other photo with the light blue top.

Too bad hair dye can't be this temporary.

http://images114.fotki.com/v271/photos/0/1803120/9931107/Blndvsgray-vi.png

chen bao jun
November 18th, 2013, 05:02 PM
I think its mostly genetic, when and how you grey.
There are all kinds of interesting variations.
I'm interested to see how mine will come out in the end.

chen bao jun
November 18th, 2013, 05:03 PM
My neck problem is my trapezius muscle, I will be okay after some PT, thank the good Lord.

Glimmer
November 20th, 2013, 07:47 AM
I always assumed until I read this thread that everyone eventually turned all gray. I had no idea you might turn partially gray and stay that way. My mother turned gray in her 30's and has always dyed her hair so I have no idea if she is all white now at 71 or not. My father turned almost all gray in his 60's. But he died at 69 so I have no idea if he would have went all silver or not. His hair was lighter than mine. He was almost all gray when he died. It was a pretty silver color though.

I don't know what is up with me. I am 54 and just have gray highlights around my bangs that kind of blend in with my dark hair but my hair likes to do the messy thing and when I leave it alone it is messy looking. Hard to describe. I have some natural wave to my hair so it does that but can look messy at times. One day I will figure out how to post a picture. Still need to look at that tutorial.

Again, you all have beautiful hair. All gray is really pretty. I think it is harder when your hair is partially gray. Anyway, I am going all natural and see what happens. I will be looking for a job in Jan. Will keep you all posted.

rags
November 20th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Kitschy, my hair does that too! A lot of people on another site who'd only seen a siggy pic from the back thought I was a blond! Or it can look dark brown, light brown, or what it is - ashy light brown mixed with silvers. It's chameleion hair! :p

My mother is 70 and still has brown unmixed with greys at the nape of her neck (the one place I too have no silvers). The rest of her hair is still salt and pepper. My father is completely white. I think I'll probably end up all white if I live long enough, as I started going grey long before my mother did.

Katrine
November 20th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Am enjoying this thread and all the beautiful hair pics I'm seeing. Inspiring. I'm 52 and I think my hair is almost completely gray with some white's starting to show through. Although I do like to henna because I enjoy the fact that I can go for a light golden blonde color over the grey that's non-damaging. My fine hair needs the strengthening and conditioning and it helps my scalp issues too.

yoginilm
November 21st, 2013, 04:10 PM
Thanks for posting all the photos. What beautiful hair! Maybe someday I'll figure out how to post a photo or two!

Glimmer
November 29th, 2013, 11:20 AM
For those of you growing all your hair out, bangs included: Are you concerned you won't look good with long hair? I haven't grown out my bangs since I was 20 and I haven't had long hair since I was in my early 30's. I am just worried it will be flat and I will look weird. I am child of the 70's and got used to wearing it high up in the 80's. In the 90's I switched gears and started wearing it flat, not much lift but I worry how I will look with no bangs. My husband thinks it will look great and when I expressed my concern, he said just keep growing it LOL. He has NEVER expressed an opinion about my hair before but he said he would really like to see what I look like with my hair long with long bangs. I just wonder: He has been watching a lot of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. I know he really likes Tauriel. Anyway, it is nice to have the support but I worry how I will look. I have very dark hair and very dark eyebrows which are a little on the thick side. I keep them groomed but sometimes it is hard to keep up, I have so much to pluck each week. I will work on posting a picture soon. I am currently putting some photos in my photobucket account.

breezefaerie
November 29th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I'm not quite 50, but have bangs. I plan on keeping them as I have a five-head that I'm self conscious about.

Madora
November 29th, 2013, 12:45 PM
I never equated having long hair to personal beauty because I was born as plain as a barn door and that was that. I do enjoy my hair for its beauty and versatility. I've never had bangs as they would drive me nuts.

As far as hair height is concerned, not much can be done about that...if you're going to grow your hair long. The weight of the hair will pretty much negate having height...unless you (horrors!!) tease it or back comb it. Yikes!

Andeee
November 29th, 2013, 01:23 PM
On the subject of bangs, I haven't had them in decades. I actually have a small forehead so they wouldn't be right on me at all.

I haven't been concerned about height in my hair since the 80s--ha ha!

Glimmer I agree with your husband--let it all grow out and see how it goes.

Glimmer
November 29th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Maybe it is just I have had bangs so long. I think sometimes we just get stuck in these ruts with our hair and change is scary. He said to put it up and forget about it so that is what I am doing. I know it will go through some crazy stuff before it gets to the long and beautiful stage. I think I am to the point that I am tired of admiring long hair on other people. You only live once so here I go. Thanks for the encouragement. :cheer:

Glimmer
November 29th, 2013, 09:04 PM
I am going to try and upload this picture. I just hope it is not to big. I am new so bear with me here. This is a photo of my mother, daughter and me. I am the one in the green shirt. Hope this works. http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa322/Glimmer50/a17006d7-bec5-47c6-b932-f49d467f7217.jpg (http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/Glimmer50/media/a17006d7-bec5-47c6-b932-f49d467f7217.jpg.html)

Andeee
November 30th, 2013, 12:50 AM
I am going to try and upload this picture. I just hope it is not to big. I am new so bear with me here. This is a photo of my mother, daughter and me. I am the one in the green shirt. Hope this works. http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa322/Glimmer50/a17006d7-bec5-47c6-b932-f49d467f7217.jpg (http://s1192.photobucket.com/user/Glimmer50/media/a17006d7-bec5-47c6-b932-f49d467f7217.jpg.html)
You are so young looking! I'm sure you will look just wonderful and lovely with no bangs! We are all here to encourage each other--happy growing!

Lilybeany
November 30th, 2013, 02:34 AM
:o Can I join girls? Im nearly 48..going on 50..Just entering meno and am loving I have some wites and grays showing .My dream since a kid is to have a pure white knee length braid ..and Im going to get that some how..I just feel it in my creeky bones..Know my pms has gone a bit Im not chopping as much as many of my cuts and dyes were mood or hormone related. I read every post and I must say I cant wait to be 50 for real. Its a new stage..exciting

Silver Sister
November 30th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Welcome to the "Middle Ages" ;) Lilybeany!

Glimmer
November 30th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Thank you Andee :) I am 54, my mother is 71 and my daughter is 33. Three generations of women there. Can you tell we are related hahaha.

I have to say I loved the salt air. Really helped my hair keep its wave even with all that wind tossing it around. I have lost another 10 pounds since that picture and am wanting to lose another 20. Then I am all set LOL. I am pretty excited about growing out my hair. Thank you for the encouragement. We will see how the "no bangs" experiment goes especially with those dark eyebrows. Will keep you girls posted.

Welcome to the over 50 folks Lily. Middle age isn't so bad. I think this is a good age where you don't care as much about what other people think and can just do your own thing. You not as worried about being really thin, just want to be healthy. At least for me I feel good being this age. I used to let others tell me what to do and how to live. Those days are gone. I really am my own person now and it does feel good.

Caldonia Sun
November 30th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Spidermom, did you post pics anywhere? Your description of how you felt prior to cutting is about where I am.

My hair is mid-back, not that long, but it is blunt cut and feels so heavy. I've been thinking about the V cut. I had one years ago and really loved it.

Caldonia Sun
November 30th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Oh wow - ANOTHER thread I belong in and never saw before! I must really take more time to read this forum!

My mother dyed hers for years, and then suddenly decided not to. Now... and I think this is hilarious... she is thinking of dyeing it again BECAUSE IT IS TOO FLASHY. :D Hers is pure white or silver; mine will never be that color, but I think it would look pretty cool if it ever turned that color. (Although hers, of course, is quite short.)

I totally understand this! Mine is like a silver/white curtain when I wear it loose and I feel like it's some sort of flashing beacon.

Lilybeany
November 30th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Welcome to the "Middle Ages" ;) Lilybeany!
Thanks for welcome.Dec feels middle today.Got my eyes checked. Got told I need glasses and I have cataracts...plummet weren't expecting it..Got choose specs now and try and match my my hair.