PDA

View Full Version : Hair Chalk

kganihanova
October 7th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Is hair chalk at all damaging? I'm kind of curious about it because it seems like an easy, heatless, dyeless way to try dip dye.

leslissocool
October 7th, 2013, 03:35 PM
If you have to finish it with a straightener, I think yes. If it's the "as seen on TV" kind that doesn't need cealing I'd say you get mechanical (rubbing) damage, but I've used that kind and I have not found any damage on the streaks in my hair nor my kid's hair.

Syaoransbear
October 7th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I've used it before. I made my entire head pink. It was very, very, very drying. So drying that it was absolutely impossible to get any sort of brush or comb through it afterwards. It was neat to try just to know what it would look like, though.

kganihanova
October 7th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Syaoransbear, did conditioner help with the dryness at all or did you have to oil your hair?

kganihanova
October 7th, 2013, 03:41 PM
lesliissocool, how did it turn out on your hair (in terms of vibrancy)?

leslissocool
October 7th, 2013, 03:43 PM
It worked for like 4 hours, then it became really dark. My hair is black though, so I wasn't expecting it to show at all but it did. I also used purple and blue, I need to get more at the store my kids use it a lot but overall I was really pleased with it. I didn't put hair spray on it either :lol:.

Syaoransbear
October 7th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Syaoransbear, did conditioner help with the dryness at all or did you have to oil your hair?
I don't know if I had to, but I did anyway. I have light hair and the chalk stained it, so since I was washing it everyday to get the color out I kept it oiled in between to make up for all the shampooing I was doing.

But you have dark hair and you are just doing your ends, so I can't imagine you'll have the same troubles that I did.

MidnightSunlite
October 7th, 2013, 04:08 PM
I got some hair chalk, but I haven't used it yet. But I can say with confidence that it is way better then using chemical dyes to change hair color. Reason being it's no chemical and no bleach required! :D

Amygirl8
October 7th, 2013, 04:43 PM
I only have normal sidewalk chalk and pink is the only colour that works.
I like colouring my bangs and face framing layers with it though. That part of my hair is oily most of the time so the chalk actually makes it behave a little better lol And it looks pretty, too.
It's a little drying, but as long as you rub it from top to bottom it's not too damaging.