PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Project: Hair and beauty product purge.

sagremus
October 6th, 2013, 11:38 PM
I am so proud of myself! This weekend I took on a project I've been itching to do for a while. I went through our hallway closet, which contains all of my hair/beauty projects, and majorly purged the collection. I have been doing this with every room these past few months after becoming inspired by minimalist blogs. I would love to minimize the number of possessions I have in order to declutter, be more mobile if necessary, minimize waste and be kind to the environment, save money, enjoy what I have, and eventually invest in a few quality products versus having a large quantity of cheap products. I am a bit radical about it and my friends think I'm crazy, but I enjoy it.

I got rid all of my old heat tools, all of my old brushes and combs, a large amount of hair ties/headbands etc. that I never wear, damaging hair clips, and other misc accessories. I tossed any old or half-used products. I also filled a plastic grocery bag of hair products such as masks, shampoos, conditioners, etc that were either used once or were brand new. I allowed friends and family to take what they wanted, and then I donated the rest to a women's shelter.

I am now left with:
2 shampoos (one sulfate, one non-sulfate)
4 conditioners (three cones, one non-cone; two of coney conditioners are almost empty and I am using them up.)
1 serum
1 heat protectant (for when I blow dry rarely, or the couple of times a year my friends heat-style my hair)
1 large hairspray
2 travel sized hairsprays (probably will toss these, but they are almost empty, so I thought maybe I'd use them up)
1 hair mask
1 coconut oil
1 jojoba oil
1 hair styling powder/root lifter
1 large tooth comb
1 tangle teezer
1 silk scarf
Ribbon hair ties, scrunchies, a few soft headbands, a few fancy headbands, bobby pins, small elastics for braids, claw clips.
And my blow dryer for when I blow dry my hair every couple of months.

This list seems like a lot for me, even though I threw out almost 75-80% if what I once had. Other accomplishments recently include tossing out most of my make-up. I wear very little, so now I have one liquid foundation, one eyeliner, one liquid concealer, etc. I also had two large steralite containers full of body wash/lotions, and I used up almost all of them - now down to 2 body washes, 3 lotions, and 1 bar soap to use up.

My next project will be my clothes. My goal is to use up what I have and then replace with higher quality products and continue to whittle down my possessions. I am excited to use up my current foundation (cheap drugstore brand) so I can treat myself to some designer foundation I have been eyeing at the store. :D

mscm
October 7th, 2013, 04:16 AM
That is great! I have done the same and it feels wonderful:) would you recommend some blog links as the ones you were talking about? I need some new inspiration. Also I love the reasons why you did it, such as beeing more mobile when needed. Great way of thinking:)

hafattack
October 7th, 2013, 05:52 AM
I have recently been inspired by Project 333 regarding clothes. I'm not following it perfectly but I am using the projects principles, and you've inspired me to start on the beauty stash... here's to simpler living!!

RainbowPearl
October 7th, 2013, 06:05 AM
I so need to do this. I have makeup that goes back years, I really should follow your example.

Lyv
October 7th, 2013, 09:59 AM
I love doing that! I do it once every other month or so because I am a major product junky but I can't stand having too much in my bathroom/closet. My sister loves it too since I end up sending her a box full of products to try out haha!

jacqueline101
October 7th, 2013, 11:30 AM
I've done that before with clothes I don't wear. I might have to take the lead on beauty supplies I have a ton of them. I haven't bought in a while. Somehow people find out I'm growing out my hair and they donate things to me.

cranberrymoonz
October 7th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I am going to do this when I have some more time to spare...

sagremus
October 7th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Here is one of the blogs, this man sold most of his possessions and traveled in an RV. I know he also sold almost everything and spent a year or two traveling around New Zealand, and almost paid off a large amount of debt. http://manvsdebt.com/stuff/

spidermom
October 7th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I so want to do this! Today I'm working on paperwork. There are stacks of it everywhere!

Skade
October 7th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I have wanted to do this for a while but havenīt come around to it yet. Thank you Sagremus for inspiration and reminding me about it. I think I will start to sort things out this weekend.

clioariane
October 7th, 2013, 04:04 PM
This is awesome! I'm all about quality over quantity. I've vowed to use up all my hair products before buying anything new.

MidnightSunlite
October 7th, 2013, 04:11 PM
I've done something like with my clothes.. and I got rid of alot but it doesn't seem like it has changed... I need to do it again lol.. I like to hoard things sadly :(

Nebulae
October 7th, 2013, 04:39 PM
This is great! In hair and beauty it wouldn't be a big purge for me (I think? maybe it will be lol), but other possessions I would probably feel better if I got rid of. Less clutter around would do me good... maybe this is something I have to try soon! Thanks for the idea. :)

battles
October 22nd, 2013, 05:34 PM
I did this recently. :) I still have some things to sell and some spare shampoo/conditioner for the family to use, but everything else is gone. I love having the extra space.

WilfredAllen
October 22nd, 2013, 10:32 PM
I kind of do it as I go along, but I feel like making a list of my hair stuff so here it goes:

1. hair towel
2. blow dryer
3. wide-tooth combs
4. tangle teezer
5. SLS-free shampoo x2 (one with protein, one without)
6. vinegar
7. bottles for at home and bottles for travel
8. swim cap
9. catnip (it's for mr. kitty too, though)
10. hair elastics, small hair elastics, bobby pins, coloured snap clips, claw clips, hard headbands, stretchy headbands
11. rat tail comb

Stuff I've gotten rid of:
1. flat iron
2. heat protecting spray
3. dry shampoo
4. scrunchies
5. oils (coconut and argan)
6. SLS shampoo (okay, re-purposed to laundry soap for when I wash in the sink)
7. cone-y conditioners
8. non-coney conditioner (re-purposed, I use it for shaving now
9. coloured hair ties
10. razor comb (used on bangs only - stop looking at me with your judging eyes!)
11. this kind of hair cutting scissors: http://static4.depositphotos.com/1010683/358/i/450/dep_3580101-Hair-cutting-scissors.jpg
12. ****ty bobby pins that my boyfriend stole for me from his sister in law (she bought a pound of ****ty bobby pins)

stuff I need to buy:
1. new hair cutting scissors (mine are probably getting dull)

stuff I want to buy:
1. compact tangle teezer

summergreen
October 23rd, 2013, 02:46 PM
This thread is inspiring me :) I will never have a clutter free life as I'm a real pack rat, but I could definitely sort through past-date hair and make up in a more timely fashion! I do wish shampoos etc came in much smaller bottles, I like to alternate between 2 or 3 products and rarely use up a whole bottle. And they seem to accumulate so quickly. I don't know why I even bother buying any make up other than replacing the couple of things I use regularly, it never gets used, I have resolved not to do this any more!