PDA

View Full Version : How does she do it?

jessie58
March 18th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I have seen Catherine Zeta Jones with straight hair and magnificent waves too, I think, not sure that she has naturally wavy hair.

I want to know how she gets her hair to be wavy but smooth at the same time. Is it achieved with an iron? Is it curlers. I really would love my hair to look like that when I want to go out to something fancy but have no idea how to style it.
How does one achieve BIG, smooth waves especially if one has frizzy/wavy/curly hair? Besides what type of styling appliance, I wonder what product she uses to smooth it and keep it in place.

Any suggestions?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/Longhaircommunity07and08/catherinezetajones.jpg http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/Longhaircommunity07and08/zetajones.jpg

LanaMonsoon
March 18th, 2008, 06:27 PM
OH! CZJ is so beautiful! Her hair is probably really full and glossy to begin with. If I had to guess I would say hot rollers to the scalp and paddle brushed out. As for products, maybe hair serum, and a light leave in like the tigi after party stuff. I'm not sure & I could be totally wrong but, that's my guess!

Áine
March 18th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I believe she has naturally curly/wavy hair. I remember her, and how she looked like before she became a huge star. If you see her with straight hair, it is artificially so, perhaps by chemical or mechanical means.

But those type of wurlies she's sporting are probably made with the help of high heat, sprays and pomades. It certainly does not look like a hair pattern that she grows from her head.

Bucatini
March 18th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I doubt this is how CZJ does it, but if I sleep with my fine 2b/2c-ish hair in a bun (dry) it is smoothed and waved bigger in the a.m.

Pure speculation... she probably blew it out straight first, then used a curling iron or hot rollers on the straightened hair.

Hairstorm
March 18th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I'm no expert, but don't you think it looks like a roller set?

jessie58
March 18th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Well I've never used rollers before by all I know is that the only ones I had ever seen before had those barbed wire things inside them and stick like velcro. I'm sure that hot rollers are not like that today but I didn't even know that people still used curlers until I came here and found that people said they used them to smooth out their hair or get some wave. In fact I now remember that JKRBeloved says she used rollers and I think her hair turned out like movie star hair. I think I'll have to PM her.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It sounds like a lot of work to me, I wish I had a handy LHCer right here to help me experiment.

Are you sure it's not a curling iron job? That's what I would guess because of the hairs underneath. Maybe she's naturally blessed, dang her.

kimberlily
March 18th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I've done some Googling. It looks like her hair is naturally wavy and stylists use a diffuser and curl enhancing spray on her, followed by a bit of pomade to give definition and separation.

I think that CZJ is one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood.

jessie58
March 18th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I've done some Googling. It looks like her hair is naturally wavy and stylists use a diffuser and curl enhancing spray on her, followed by a bit of pomade to give definition and separation.

I think that CZJ is one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood.

Why thank you Kimberlily, I couldn't find info about her hair for some reason, but billions of articles about her career and marriage. Don't they know we want hair info, lol.

I actually used the diffuser on my hair lately in an attempt to dry it quickly but it really brought out the frizz.

I'm going to look around for somebody who uses hot rollers and see if I can try those too.

akurah
March 18th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Course, CZJ also probably has a gaggle of stylists following her every step to brush any stray lock back into place... just to help put some perspective...

jessie58
March 18th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Course, CZJ also probably has a gaggle of stylists following her every step to brush any stray lock back into place... just to help put some perspective...

Yes, I was afraid of that, that's probably why I've never seen anyone with real life hair as gorgeous. *sigh*

jessie58
March 18th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Well I just found this, not sure how accurate it is though.

http://www.hrhairstyles.com/catherine_zeta-jones.htm

jessie58
March 18th, 2008, 11:36 PM
After taking Kimberlily's hint, I tried to be more specific in my search and came up with this on EHow. As if I have time to do all this. :rolleyes: They say it is moderately easy. :(

How to Get Catherine Zeta Jones' Hairstyle

By CindyM (http://www.ehow.com/members/CindyM.html)
Rate: (8 Ratings)
For years, Catherine Zeta Jones’ hairstyle has been the picture of wavy perfection. Recently, she has been spotted wearing her hair straight and smooth, with a lighter color as well. Read on to learn how to get both of these Catherine Zeta Jones looks.

Instructions

Difficulty: Moderately Easy

Things You’ll Need:

Diffuser attachment for blow-dryer (curly hairstyle)
Large-barreled curling iron (curly hairstyle)
Large flat brush (for straight hairstyle)
Flat iron, ceramic is preferable (straight hair)
Volumizing mousse (curly hairstyle)
Hair clips (straight hairstyle)
Humidity-proof hair spray (curly hairstyle)
Styling wax (curly hairstyle)
Shine spray (curly hairstyle)
Curl-enhancing hair product (curly hairstyle)
Shine enhancer (for both hairstyles)
Smoothing balm (straight hairstyle)
Blow-dryer with a nozzle (straight hairstyle)
Wide-toothed comb (for straight hairstyle)Catherine Zeta Jones' Curly Hairstyle

Step 1:
This hairstyle works best on those with hair that is past the shoulders in length.
Step 2:
If you have curly hair, apply a curl-enhancing product to your clean and damp hair. This curl-enhancing product may be a spray-on curl rejuvenator or a curl-enhancing mousse.
Step 3:
If you have straight hair, apply a volumizing mousse to your clean and damp hair.
Step 4:
Using a diffuser attachment on your blow-dryer, flip your head upside-down and scrunch the hair with your hands while drying. Pay special attention to massaging your scalp to create lift at the roots. This will give your hair extra body as in Catherine Zeta Jones' hairstyle.
Step 5:
Once the hair is completely dry, apply a small amount of shine serum to the hair to tame any frizz.
Step 6:
Using a large-barreled curling iron, take 1-inch sections and wrap them in a spiral pattern around the barrel. Curl the section of hair up toward the scalp, leaving the last 2 inches straight to avoid a “pouf-y” appearance on the top of your head.
Step 7:
Continue this process throughout the entire head of hair for those with straight hair or, if you have naturally wavy hair, you can use the curling iron simply to touch-up your own waves as needed.
Step 8:
Once your hair is curled, apply a small amount of styling wax to the bottom of a few curls in the front of your hair. This will separate and define them. Finish off with a light misting of humidity-proof hair spray and a quick blast of shine spray to make those curls glow.
Catherin Zeta Jones' Straight Hairstyle

Step 1:
This Catherine Zeta Jones hairstyle will work on anyone with hair that is shoulder length or longer.
Step 2:
On clean and damp hair, apply a smoothing balm and evenly distribute it from root to end with a wide-toothed comb.
Step 3:
Section off your hair so that a 2-inch thick section at the bottom hangs down and the rest is clipped up and out of the way.
Step 4:
With a nozzle attachment on your blow-dryer, dry a small section of the bottom portion of your hair with a large flat brush. Start at the root and glide the brush through to the ends of the section, while you follow it with the blow-dryer’s nozzle. For extra smoothness, be sure to angle the nozzle down at the hair to keep the cuticle of the hair closed.
Step 5:
Continue this process, working your way up to the top of the head. Be sure each section is completely dry before moving on to the next.
Step 6:
Once the hair is completely dry, plug in your flat iron and allow it to warm to the desired temperature. For fine hair you can use a lower heat-setting to avoid damaging the hair. Coarse hair will require a higher temperature to smooth and straighten hair properly.
Step 7:
In the same fashion as you dried your hair with the blow-dryer, start with a 2-inch section at the bottom and straighten small amounts of your hair at a time. Pin up the top layers to keep them out of your way.
Step 8:
Starting approximately 1/2 inch from the scalp, close the flat iron plates onto the section of hair and slowly glide the iron from the roots to the ends of the hair. Continue this process until all of the hair is straightened.
Step 9:
Spray on a light misting of shine enhancer to show off your new sleek style. If possible, skip the hair spray all together to keep the style soft and moveable.

manderly
March 19th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Nope, that's way too much work!

I can get that look by doing a wet-set on my hair with magnetic rollers like these:http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/detail?prodid=422310

As soon as I get out of the shower, I let my hair towel dry for just a short time, then comb it out nicely.

Starting in the center front, I roll with the second largest (for the Catherine soft wave/curls) down the back on my head in a mohawk. It takes about 4-5 rollers for the center. I then do 4 on each side of my hair in the remaining of that size, and the size down from that if I run out.

If you have a bonnet dryer, fantastic. I don't yet, so I sleep in mine. They dry overnight. Remove them and finger-comb for the SOFTEST, silkiest, most gorgeous waves (and curls if you used the smaller rollers.....you can use the larger ones it some areas to make sure you have enough of the second largest for important spots if it's too curly). No frizz, the most perfect waves. Looks like I spent an hour flat ironing then adding the waves.

HTH

FrannyG
March 19th, 2008, 03:07 AM
OMG, Jessie58, that is quite a list of products and appliances! :bigeyes: It reminds me of all the time I used to spend on my hair in the 80's to get the big hair look. That of course was before having kids and I had all the time in the world to spend on my hair and makeup before a night out.

It was also before I discovered how badly I was treating my hair.

I just have to accept that I'm not nor will I ever be Catherine Zeta-Jones. ;)

Amoretti
March 19th, 2008, 03:13 AM
While her hair is certainly out of this world, yours is amazingly beautiful too, Tessa! I think your profile pic is sheer perfection, my friend!

addikted
March 19th, 2008, 07:23 AM

Yeah, it probably took her 2-3 hours in 'hair and make-up' to look like that, although I agree that CZJ is one of the more naturally beautiful women around in Hollywood right now.

ktani
March 19th, 2008, 08:09 AM
According to this (http://www.galegroup.com/free_resources/whm/bio/zetajones_c.htm), she showers with honey and salt to exfoliate her skin and uses beer and honey on her hair. See last paragraph.

I have also read that she uses castor oil on her hair.

jojo
March 19th, 2008, 08:14 AM
CZJ does have some natural wave in her hair but id think she uses tongues to get it in this style, she is very beautiful though

ktani
March 19th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Supposedly - this (http://www.watch-trend.com/watches-and-fashion/truffles-caviar-zeta-jones.html) is the latest - which was later denied (http://www.exposay.com/catherine-zeta-jones-couldnt-live-without-125-lotion/v/18283/).

Keep in mind though - she is an Elizabeth Arden Spokesperson.

Hairstorm
March 19th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Oh boy, if that's true, I don't want to smell her! :lol:

ktani
March 19th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I checked it out last summer when it was in the "news".

The treatment is odourless (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/10/fashion/thursdaystyles/10sside.html) but controversial.

lora410
March 19th, 2008, 08:55 AM
After taking Kimberlily's hint, I tried to be more specific in my search and came up with this on EHow. As if I have time to do all this. :rolleyes: They say it is moderately easy. :(

How to Get Catherine Zeta Jones' Hairstyle

By CindyM (http://www.ehow.com/members/CindyM.html)
Rate: (8 Ratings)
For years, Catherine Zeta Jones’ hairstyle has been the picture of wavy perfection. Recently, she has been spotted wearing her hair straight and smooth, with a lighter color as well. Read on to learn how to get both of these Catherine Zeta Jones looks.

Instructions

Difficulty: Moderately Easy

Things You’ll Need:

Diffuser attachment for blow-dryer (curly hairstyle)
Large-barreled curling iron (curly hairstyle)
Large flat brush (for straight hairstyle)
Flat iron, ceramic is preferable (straight hair)
Volumizing mousse (curly hairstyle)
Hair clips (straight hairstyle)
Humidity-proof hair spray (curly hairstyle)
Styling wax (curly hairstyle)
Shine spray (curly hairstyle)
Curl-enhancing hair product (curly hairstyle)
Shine enhancer (for both hairstyles)
Smoothing balm (straight hairstyle)
Blow-dryer with a nozzle (straight hairstyle)
Wide-toothed comb (for straight hairstyle)Catherine Zeta Jones' Curly Hairstyle

Step 1:
This hairstyle works best on those with hair that is past the shoulders in length.
Step 2:
If you have curly hair, apply a curl-enhancing product to your clean and damp hair. This curl-enhancing product may be a spray-on curl rejuvenator or a curl-enhancing mousse.
Step 3:
If you have straight hair, apply a volumizing mousse to your clean and damp hair.
Step 4:
Using a diffuser attachment on your blow-dryer, flip your head upside-down and scrunch the hair with your hands while drying. Pay special attention to massaging your scalp to create lift at the roots. This will give your hair extra body as in Catherine Zeta Jones' hairstyle.
Step 5:
Once the hair is completely dry, apply a small amount of shine serum to the hair to tame any frizz.
Step 6:
Using a large-barreled curling iron, take 1-inch sections and wrap them in a spiral pattern around the barrel. Curl the section of hair up toward the scalp, leaving the last 2 inches straight to avoid a “pouf-y” appearance on the top of your head.
Step 7:
Continue this process throughout the entire head of hair for those with straight hair or, if you have naturally wavy hair, you can use the curling iron simply to touch-up your own waves as needed.
Step 8:
Once your hair is curled, apply a small amount of styling wax to the bottom of a few curls in the front of your hair. This will separate and define them. Finish off with a light misting of humidity-proof hair spray and a quick blast of shine spray to make those curls glow.
Catherin Zeta Jones' Straight Hairstyle

Step 1:
This Catherine Zeta Jones hairstyle will work on anyone with hair that is shoulder length or longer.
Step 2:
On clean and damp hair, apply a smoothing balm and evenly distribute it from root to end with a wide-toothed comb.
Step 3:
Section off your hair so that a 2-inch thick section at the bottom hangs down and the rest is clipped up and out of the way.
Step 4:
With a nozzle attachment on your blow-dryer, dry a small section of the bottom portion of your hair with a large flat brush. Start at the root and glide the brush through to the ends of the section, while you follow it with the blow-dryer’s nozzle. For extra smoothness, be sure to angle the nozzle down at the hair to keep the cuticle of the hair closed.
Step 5:
Continue this process, working your way up to the top of the head. Be sure each section is completely dry before moving on to the next.
Step 6:
Once the hair is completely dry, plug in your flat iron and allow it to warm to the desired temperature. For fine hair you can use a lower heat-setting to avoid damaging the hair. Coarse hair will require a higher temperature to smooth and straighten hair properly.
Step 7:
In the same fashion as you dried your hair with the blow-dryer, start with a 2-inch section at the bottom and straighten small amounts of your hair at a time. Pin up the top layers to keep them out of your way.
Step 8:
Starting approximately 1/2 inch from the scalp, close the flat iron plates onto the section of hair and slowly glide the iron from the roots to the ends of the hair. Continue this process until all of the hair is straightened.
Step 9:
Spray on a light misting of shine enhancer to show off your new sleek style. If possible, skip the hair spray all together to keep the style soft and moveable.

Holy product crud buildup, and fry your hair to death instructions.*Runs and hides from all bad hair things meantioned*:couch:

ktani
March 19th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Sometimes - giant rollers (http://www.parade.com/celebrity/articles/070710-catherine-zeta-jones.html)and hairspray for photos.

missy60
March 19th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I knew she didnt get those smooth curls without heat. I have heard people say they can diffuse and then just add a few curls with the curling iron. I have bangs so I sometimes curl them and I use to have a section right in the front that wouldnt curl at all and I tried to add a few curls just in those sections and they just didnt blend in at all with my other curls.

jessie58
March 19th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the input everybody. Amoretti, thank you for the lovely hair compliment too.

Manderly, great roller link. Also thanks for letting me know how you do it. So just on damp hair but no product to make it hold?

The only thing I am worried about is the frizz factor. I wonder if I should use a gel or setting product before rolling to smooth out the frizz because I don't see how you an put some in afterwards without disturbing the hair.

akurah
March 19th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the input everybody. Amoretti, thank you for the lovely hair compliment too.

Manderly, great roller link. Also thanks for letting me know how you do it. So just on damp hair but no product to make it hold?

The only thing I am worried about is the frizz factor. I wonder if I should use a gel or setting product before rolling to smooth out the frizz because I don't see how you an put some in afterwards without disturbing the hair.

If you're seeing a photo (as opposed to a movie or tv clip), odds are, any frizz got photoshopped out.

Watch her in a video clip with a hairstyle like that, you'll get a more accurate idea of her frizz factor or lack thereof.

atlantaz3
March 19th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Yeah, it probably took her 2-3 hours in 'hair and make-up' to look like that, although I agree that CZJ is one of the more naturally beautiful women around in Hollywood right now.

I didn't think anyone in Hollywood was natural. Although I agree she is beautiful - being blonde I've always wanted dark blue black hair - sigh.

manderly
March 19th, 2008, 01:16 PM

I don't use any other product in my hair other than my giovani direct leave in which I use anyway.

All it takes for your hair to hold onto those rollers is water. So as you roll, if you're having a hard time with a section holding, bust out the spray bottle and soak the end so it sticks to the roller.

I've been meaning to post a how-to on this, I'll do it this weekend when I have the time, with photos and step-by-step and my end results. It's really great to get such beautiful hair out of no heat!

I need to get some larger rollers for when I want to straighten too, the big ones don't quite cut it from that set :)

jessie58
March 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
I don't use any other product in my hair other than my giovani direct leave in which I use anyway.

All it takes for your hair to hold onto those rollers is water. So as you roll, if you're having a hard time with a section holding, bust out the spray bottle and soak the end so it sticks to the roller.

I've been meaning to post a how-to on this, I'll do it this weekend when I have the time, with photos and step-by-step and my end results. It's really great to get such beautiful hair out of no heat!

I need to get some larger rollers for when I want to straighten too, the big ones don't quite cut it from that set :)

Thanks Manderly, what hair type do you have and what length?
I am a 2c and 28 inches, I hope I get the same results as you do.

manderly
March 19th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks Manderly, what hair type do you have and what length?
I am a 2c and 28 inches, I hope I get the same results as you do.

Gee, I can't remember my hairtype. I think I'm a 2a/b?? Hehehe.

I'm almost to armpit. There is a photo of my hair in my profile, and I think I may have done a wet-set on it the day prior....I can't remember. It's a little wavier than that when air-dried.

I'm sure it will work for you, it's widely used with african-american hair to give nice smooth hair. I think you can pretty much take curly and go straight or vice versa when you alter your hair while wet.

Euphony
March 19th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I've seriously contemplated getting a Caruso (http://www.amazon.com/Caruso-C97953-SalonPro-Molecular-Hairsetter/dp/B0002JKPB8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1205955146&sr=8-2). I wonder if that'll do it...

jessie58
March 19th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Aha Manderly, your profile is just what I am looking for, a bit more wave too. Very nice smooth hair. It's gorgeous.

Euphony, your hair pattern and mine look very similar. Caruso is the name of the one that JKRBeloved uses too and her hair looks much the same as Manderly's, it's what I call Hollywood moviestar hair.

Thank you guys. :)

Euphony
March 19th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Oh Tess thank you, but my hair would take a great deal of coaxing, possibly if I fed it Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk everyday for a couple of weeks to make it incredibly happy (with a sugar high) it might get close to being as gorgeous as yours. But I will say you and I probably have the same <ahem> 'issues' with our hair that has oodles of personality and no where to share it. And frankly my hair would love to dance the night away, but I want to sew a skirt so the next day my hair is pretty ticked and shares that with the world.

jessie58
March 19th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Oh Tess thank you, but my hair would take a great deal of coaxing, possibly if I fed it Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk everyday for a couple of weeks to make it incredibly happy (with a sugar high) it might get close to being as gorgeous as yours. But I will say you and I probably have the same <ahem> 'issues' with our hair that has oodles of personality and no where to share it. And frankly my hair would love to dance the night away, but I want to sew a skirt so the next day my hair is pretty ticked and shares that with the world.

Ha you're funny, you have lovely hair you silly woman. Are you making one of those pretty peasant type skirts?

I am seriously looking at the Caruso's now. I just checked JKR's blog and she's got more stunning pics of Caruso hair.

JKRBeloved
March 19th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Jessie58 sent me to read this thread, and I must chime in about my love of Caruso rollers. I have gone through several through the years. I only use the largest rollers, and have had to purchase more than what come with the kit (it takes about 18 to do my full head, and you get about 6 each of 3 different sizes). I let my hair dry before setting. The steam is infused into sponge rollers that are encased in plastic. You snap a plastic cover over the one that has been rolled into your hair. The steam keeps the hair moist for a while, so with the curlers in, I will gently blow dry the steam out of them for a couple minutes, leave them in for several more minutes, gently unroll them and leave it uncombed until the hair is totally cool and dry, then comb. It's such a life saver for me, because I just can't count on my natural waves to stay nice for me. But I can go out in the wind with the set hair. These first two are scrunched dry, the last two are set with Caruso steam rollers:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/JKRBeloved/scrunchdryx250.jpg http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/JKRBeloved/Scrunchdryx275.jpg http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/JKRBeloved/Carusoset308x275.jpg http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/JKRBeloved/Caruso.jpg

Since the steam is not extra hot in the sponge by the time you get it into your hair, I don't think it damages the hair. But you do have the extra handling that probably can do some harm.

MadPirateBippy
March 19th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I am forever buying rollers and then never using them, but then I quite like rag curls...

But I have to say the Caruso rollers are tempting.

jessie58
March 19th, 2008, 10:40 PM
JKR, thank you so much for posting those amazing pictures. You are beautiful.

That is what I am talking about. I have the same type of hair that goes all wavy and carefree looking, which I do like most of the time but lately have wanted to go for a more glamorous look and it does make your hair look so different after use.

Thanks so much for the explanation, it sounds pretty simple and I'd guess it doesn't do much more damage than combing and twisting up into various do's with clips. Thanks again.

HerbalAnnie
March 19th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I worked with a lady who had those nice soft waves in her hair. She told me she dried each section on a large round brush and then immediately wrapped it around a large roller (plain ol' plastic curler) to "set" while she did the rest of her morning routine. I used to do this and it worked very well, probably with better results than I've ever gotten from heat or steam rollers.

With your lovely curls, have you tried wrapping it on large rollers after blow drying? I think that's what I'd done here (http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g204/HerbalAnnie/Hair&#37;20Pics/HairDec212006-1.jpg), and I'd used very large rollers here (http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g204/HerbalAnnie/Hair%20Pics/rolledhair1-1.jpg).

jessie58
March 19th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I worked with a lady who had those nice soft waves in her hair. She told me she dried each section on a large round brush and then immediately wrapped it around a large roller (plain ol' plastic curler) to "set" while she did the rest of her morning routine. I used to do this and it worked very well, probably with better results than I've ever gotten from heat or steam rollers.

With your lovely curls, have you tried wrapping it on large rollers after blow drying? I think that's what I'd done here (http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g204/HerbalAnnie/Hair%20Pics/HairDec212006-1.jpg), and I'd used very large rollers here (http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g204/HerbalAnnie/Hair%20Pics/rolledhair1-1.jpg).

Oh Annie, those are both really nice pictures. I don't own any rollers but I am definitely buying the Caruso ones.

I can't go near the blow dryer though, my new hairs stand straight out of my head, some of them are between 1/2 inch and 5 inches now. I think the girls have a round brush around somewhere but I am afraid to touch the blowdryer. It has a diffuser though. In any case, I'm going to experiment with different ways of rolling when I get them. I phoned Sally's tonight and they have them but I have to wait until my hair color comes in as well so I don't make two trips. So it will be a while before I get them. I'm excited to try though.

I'm really enjoying seeing people's results here and reading about how they achieve the look.

Euphony
March 20th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I had bought a Caruso about 18 years ago and I loved it. From what I'm understanding with it, it's not only not bad for your hair but may actually be good for it since you add salt to the water for the steam - at least you used to, I'm sure that's still how it works. hahaha at the time I was actually trying to get my hair to do what it would've done naturally had I left it alone, but I had no idea that would happen. Live and learn! But now I'm thinking it'd be nice to have that Caruso for non-wash days when my hair is less 'lively', but on wash days I could make my hair tamer by using it I bet too!

What lovely pictures both JKR and HerbalAnnie - thanks for sharing. It's nice to see the difference in procedures.

ETA: hahaha I forgot to answer about the skirt! I'm currently working on a frayed edge denim wrap skirt. I ordered 5 yards of denim to make a skirt out of, I was going to make one very full...but the weight of that denim isn't happening in one skirt! So I decided the wrap skirt and I think I'll try my hand at a jacket with the rest.

missy60
March 20th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Jessie just my experience with rolling I dont need to use any product since my hair has some curl. I know how you hate product in your hair so you should be ok without it. I always get smooth results I think the heat dames the frizz.

jessie58
March 20th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Jessie just my experience with rolling I dont need to use any product since my hair has some curl. I know how you hate product in your hair so you should be ok without it. I always get smooth results I think the heat dames the frizz.

Thanks Missy. :)

JKRBeloved
March 20th, 2008, 12:58 PM
The new Caruso sets don't require salt! I do wish they came with an even larger size roller than they do... but I guess you can't have everything! I wonder if it's possible to buy someone else's jumbo roller and fill it with Caruso steam... hmmm, time for an experiment.

jessie58
March 21st, 2008, 06:34 AM
JKR, I was reading on the Caruso site that you can buy individual packages of 6 rollers in any of the available sizes. They sell them at Sally's and online.

JKRBeloved
March 24th, 2008, 05:21 PM
may actually be good for it since you add salt to the water for the steam

Euphony, I hadn't heard that salt is good for your hair! Tell me more.

Jesse, have you gotten your Caruso set yet?

Here's 2nd day Caruso hair for me:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y112/JKRBeloved/2nddayCaruso308x300.jpg

jessie58
March 24th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Hey JKR, would you quit waving that gorgeous hair under my nose, lol. I have to wait until next Thursday to go to get mine because I'm waiting for some other stuff to arrive at the store at the same time. Another week. Wah.

I hope it does the same for me because I see your natural curls and then I see your Caruso hair and I would absolutely love to be able to do both able.

JKRBeloved
March 24th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Tessa, You are very sweet! I hope you LOVE it. I'm sure you're going to have fun being able to go back and forth from your gorgeous curls to some soft, lovely waves.

harley mama
March 24th, 2008, 09:10 PM
jessie58, I knew a girl in school that rolled her hair on tin juice cans and she got nice, smooth curls like that. But, she also used hair spray and other stuff that have long ago left my brain. I do remember the cans and spray though. It worked for her. How fast can you drink about 20 cans of prune juice?:p ;)

jessie58
March 24th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Ha Harley Mama, I've heard of the cans before too. I hope the Caruso rollers do the trick. I don't want to have to drink all that juice. Blech.

Velvettt
March 24th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I did the juice can thing back when I was around 19 or so. It lasted maybe 2 hrs, like everything else I tried on my pin-straight hair. On the other hand, it made gorgeous big waves while they lasted.

jessie58
March 24th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Did you actually sleep in the cans Velvettt?

tiny_teesha
March 24th, 2008, 11:48 PM
maybe that caviar effect can be done with fish oil? But i would imagine it would be smelly...
She probably uses product and heat i have no idea...i personally think natural waves and curls are prettier, imho.

Velvettt
March 25th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Did you actually sleep in the cans Velvettt?

No, I wouldn't fit. :D

Seriously, yes, I did. It's just one more indicator of how young and stupid I was.

jessie58
March 25th, 2008, 10:55 AM
No, I wouldn't fit. :D

Seriously, yes, I did. It's just one more indicator of how young and stupid I was.

Ha ha, guess I should have rephrased that huh? I know, weren't we silly in our youth? I actually used to perm my hair until I was about 35 years old. I used to perm it every 2 years. then keep chopping all the length as it grew out. If I knew then what I know now, my hair would have been both naturally curly and long. :shrug:

Hairstorm
March 25th, 2008, 01:56 PM
:bigeyes: Jessie, you don't need a perm!

jessie58
March 25th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Hairstorm, I know I don't need a perm, but because my hair was straightish on top of my head and then just wavy below, I wanted curls all the way down and wanted major VOLUME, I mean I wanted really big hair. Actually my hair got curlier in my 40's too.

emeraldjoy
March 25th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I have tried pin curls using the technique on this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50yw2W5F_z8

I slept in them overnight and I had great hair the next day. I will post pictures the next time I do it again.

Euphony
March 25th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Ummm uh oh...I can't remember why I think salt is good for the hair. I'm pretty sure I read it on the old LHC, but I have no idea. I could be totally wrong on the idea.

Hairstorm
March 25th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Hairstorm, I know I don't need a perm, but because my hair was straightish on top of my head and then just wavy below, I wanted curls all the way down and wanted major VOLUME, I mean I wanted really big hair. Actually my hair got curlier in my 40's too.
Ah, well that's something perms can do!

My hair changed too; it got wavier after having kids.

jessie58
March 25th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I have tried pin curls using the technique on this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50yw2W5F_z8

I slept in them overnight and I had great hair the next day. I will post pictures the next time I do it again.

What a marvelous video, that woman had simply gorgeous hair and her video was well done and informative.

manderly
March 25th, 2008, 03:05 PM
What a marvelous video, that woman had simply gorgeous hair and her video was well done and informative.

I did a tutorial on the old LHC based on her bobby pin curls. It really is great, though I tend to get a couple crushed curls out of it, the overall effect is lovely.

Here are a couple of photos from that old tutorial:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1719.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1739.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1732.jpg

And here is my wet set tutorial I did for you and another member, I posted a thread about it but it seems to have been missed:

The password is wetset if it asks:
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/Wet&#37;20Set/?albumview=slideshow

And the results (click for slideshow):
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/Wet%20Set%20Results/th_CIMG1854.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/Wet%20Set%20Results/?action=view&current=149bca90.pbw)

My results were a little limp because I did the tutorail on a wash day and was pretty greasy, and I also took them out a little before they were dry all the way.

jessie58
March 25th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Manderly, wonderful pictures and tutorial. This is way better than all the crap that CZJ does with her hair.

I'm glad I started this thread because I've figured out that from pin curls to wet set to steam curlers and you can get gorgeous hair without too much manipulation or damaging your hair and they all give you great curls.

Thanks so much everybody.

Velvettt
March 26th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Ummm uh oh...I can't remember why I think salt is good for the hair. I'm pretty sure I read it on the old LHC, but I have no idea. I could be totally wrong on the idea.
NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ask Snowymoon! It took her ages to repair the damage to her hair after she tried a salt soak. She ended up having to chelate her hair and clarify and deep treat for weeks to repair the damage.

Euphony
March 27th, 2008, 10:42 AM
NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ask Snowymoon! It took her ages to repair the damage to her hair after she tried a salt soak. She ended up having to chelate her hair and clarify and deep treat for weeks to repair the damage.
Yikes! What the heck was it I read...oh man. Thank you so much for saying NO so fervently :D I won't be doing salt.

jessie58
March 27th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I got my Caruso rollers today and did a trial run. :disco::grin::hollie:
First of all they only take 5 or 6 seconds to warm up. They are easy to roll and clip in. It took me 5 whole minutes to put in 10 rollers. It probably would have taken less if my hair was shorter or if I knew what I was doing.
I left them in for 10 minutes, just to try, then took them out without blowdrying or anything. The were really boingy and bouncy. Very curly on the ends and wavy near the head. The curls have stayed in for hours now and have great staying power.

Of course I didn`t know what order to put the rollers in or what size roller to use where, so they turned out a little funny looking in some places. I also commited a cardinal sin. I brushed them out. Man, they were nice and smooth until I did that. My DD15 heard me say that I brushed them and said don`t you know you never brush out curls mother! Well duh.

I see lots of potential with them and by gosh, I do believe that I will achieve the Catherine Zeta Jones hair with them.
Give me a couple of days to play and practice and I`ll post pictures. Thanks for all the advice here guys. So far I`m pretty happy with the decision to buy the set and also with the results of trying it out.

Hairstorm
March 27th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Yay!!!!!! :)

seabear
March 27th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Can't wait to see the pics, Tessa!

manderly
March 27th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Awesome!!

Yup, don't brush unless you want bush hair. Always finger or wide-tooth comb them out :)

My heavenly harvest comb works great.

Rae~
March 27th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I wonder what length hair would be TOO long for these curlers? What is the longest anyone's used it on?

jessie58
March 27th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I wonder what length hair would be TOO long for these curlers? What is the longest anyone's used it on?

Rae, there is one lady on the Caruso website that gives her review and she appears to be a longhair and says her hair is wonderfully curly and it works great for her. I'll try to find it for you.

JKRBeloved
March 31st, 2008, 09:37 PM
I got my Caruso rollers today and did a trial run. Give me a couple of days to play and practice and I`ll post pictures.

Ahem. We're all waiting for those photos of your lovely, fluid waves! Can hardly wait to see.

jessie58
March 31st, 2008, 09:41 PM
JKR, I've used them twice and I need to play around with them some more. For one thing my hair is way long and the ends tend to get crumpled up because I can't stretch out the hair all the way, my arms won't reach. So I have to wind the bottom half around the roller. To combat the messy ends, I need to get some end papers. Then I also wanted to try some smoothing stuff on my hair beforehand to see if it cuts down on the hair catching. I pulled out a lot of hair doing it the second time. Then thirdly, I need to practice how to roll my hair. You guys have been at it a long time. I've only done it twice so far. So hopefully my Caruso and I will become better friends in the near future.

jessie58
March 31st, 2008, 09:42 PM
I do like that it gives me big bouncy waves though. :)

darkwaves
March 31st, 2008, 11:40 PM
Great thread, jessie58!

I have a question about that bobbypin curl video on youtube -- is she really rolling the curls dry? Or is she using a setting lotion of some kind on her hair?

jessie58
March 31st, 2008, 11:56 PM
Great thread, jessie58!

I have a question about that bobbypin curl video on youtube -- is she really rolling the curls dry? Or is she using a setting lotion of some kind on her hair?

Darkwaves in the writing on the pink screen in the beginning of the video, it says to apply mouse to freshly washed, towel dried hair and the allow to dry thoroughly.

Strange that you can get curls with dry hair :confused:

JKR did hers the other day with the video, maybe she'll tell us how she did it.

manderly
April 1st, 2008, 02:29 AM
Great thread, jessie58!

Are you talking about Iloveguardo's video? If so, YES, you can. I've done it bone dry, as well as dry with a light spritz of water after doing the rolls and slept on them. Works like a charm.

JKRBeloved
April 1st, 2008, 08:59 PM
JKR did hers the other day with the video, maybe she'll tell us how she did it.

Oh! I can't imagine setting my hair dry. It just wouldn't smooth it out at all. That wouldn't even occur to me! So, yes, I did mine the other day while still damp, but not dripping. It turned out ok, but not wonderful for me.

Celogrl
April 1st, 2008, 09:04 PM
My suspicion is the silkiness may have to do with lot of 'cones. Her hair is gorgeous though, I must say. Let's all remember she most likely has someone at her beck and call to make her hair just exactly perfect. :D

JKRBeloved
April 1st, 2008, 09:07 PM
For one thing my hair is way long and the ends tend to get crumpled up because I can't stretch out the hair all the way, my arms won't reach. ... I pulled out a lot of hair doing it the second time...hopefully my Caruso and I will become better friends in the near future.

Oh, Tessa, I'm sorry! I do hope you and Caruso become friends. Have you tried twisting your hair in a rope before wrapping it? I think they give instructions for that. It might make it less likely to tangle up. It doesn't give the same loose waves, more springy, but maybe a look you would like.

jessie58
April 1st, 2008, 09:31 PM
Thanks JKR, I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't even read all the little book, I was too excited to just do it. I remember the photos. I'll have to go look and try.

darkwaves
April 1st, 2008, 10:10 PM
Are you talking about Iloveguardo's video? If so, YES, you can. I've done it bone dry, as well as dry with a light spritz of water after doing the rolls and slept on them. Works like a charm. Interesting -- thanks! I tried it last night, dry. Uneven rolls = uneven waves. And by noon, the smoothness had reverted to my usually wriggly hair. The bobby pins weren't hard to sleep on, which surprised me.

jessie58
April 1st, 2008, 10:19 PM
Interesting -- thanks! I tried it last night, dry. Uneven rolls = uneven waves. And by noon, the smoothness had reverted to my usually wriggly hair. The bobby pins weren't hard to sleep on, which surprised me.

Seriously Darkwaves, I highly doubt that a little feeble bobby pin could tame your curls. :D

manderly
April 2nd, 2008, 02:24 AM
Interesting -- thanks! I tried it last night, dry. Uneven rolls = uneven waves. And by noon, the smoothness had reverted to my usually wriggly hair. The bobby pins weren't hard to sleep on, which surprised me.

It does seem that a silly little bobby pin would be helpless against your curls, but I did a tutorial based on her vid on these curls on the old LHC. Here are a couple of my photos from it:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1719.jpg

Before combing:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1730.jpg

Combed out:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1734.jpg

If I recall, I did those on oh-so-slightly damp hair, almost completely dry from my wash. They hold (for me) until I wash again.

jojo
April 2nd, 2008, 04:40 AM
CZJ has natural curly hair, heres a clip from youtube from 1991, her hair is beautiful as is she
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NJX9O-OgP3E

Triquetra
April 2nd, 2008, 05:48 AM
I love CZJ, have ever since I saw her in The Darling Buds of May in the mid to late 90's. Back then she had the classic slightly frizzy curls that so many of us are familiar with lol. ;)

I'm actually a partially qualified hairdresser, and i can take a guess as to how her smooth curls are achieved - usually by blow-drying hair smooth, then adding the curl back in with a large barrelled curling wand or heated rollers. :rolleyes:

I'll stick to my frizzy's thanks very much! :D

MerryKat
April 2nd, 2008, 06:07 AM
Bun waves give me the same kind of effect. The looser the bun the bigger and softer the waves.

If I do a few small tight buns, I get more and smaller waves.

filiadeluna
April 2nd, 2008, 08:06 AM
Her hair is indeed gorgoeus. My hair is very straight, except with an occasional large, barely noticeable S wave if I sleep on my hair wet or don't have time to comb it much as it's drying. That comes in handy most of the time as I generally prefer it, but occasionally it would be nice to have some lucious waves like that. My hair won't wave/curl for crap - or at least it won't stay in for more than an hour, even with loads of hair spray and/or mousse. *meh* It will stay curled in an updo, but it still needs tons of product for that, and I hate putting that crap in my hair.

Euphony
April 2nd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Oh, Tessa, I'm sorry! I do hope you and Caruso become friends. Have you tried twisting your hair in a rope before wrapping it? I think they give instructions for that. It might make it less likely to tangle up. It doesn't give the same loose waves, more springy, but maybe a look you would like.
That's how I did mine when I had my Caruso oh so many moons ago. It gives spirals that way, except with thick hair it takes either a whole lot of those curlers and a whole lot of time or you give up, be lazy and only spend 45 minutes (as opposed to an hour and a half) and get some chunky non-distinguished spirals that actually look an awful lot like my natural wave pattern - but I had no clue at the time :rolleyes: Had I known I sure would've saved a lot of time and a lot of money on my hair. You know I actually got a perm once to get my frizz under control - that was an exercise in futility. And my hair takes a perm extra special well - it took me 2 years to cut that out of my hair, I still had some springies going on at the nape of my neck with the last cut.

<snork> that year for Halloween I was dressing up as a clown so I bought a curly colored wig to go with the outfit. I turned my head upside down to brush my hair to get it in the wig. My son came down the stairs and I popped my head up, my friend started laughing so hard I thought she was going to fall out of her chair. I couldn't figure out what her problem was - she said 'look in the mirror' so I did...ummm I didn't need the wig. I actually sprayed my hair with some colored hairspray instead :D

darkwaves
April 2nd, 2008, 07:44 PM
Seriously Darkwaves, I highly doubt that a little feeble bobby pin could tame your curls. :D Tonight, I'm going to try mini-braids, instead....

And manderly, thanks so much for the photos -- this pin curl technique gives you lovely curls.

mommy2one05
April 3rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
merrykat: by putting your hair in a bun it gives you waves?

darkwaves: so how did the mini braids affect your hair? when I do 6-8 little braids it makes my hair really wavy but also poufy.

jessie58
April 3rd, 2008, 12:31 AM
That's how I did mine when I had my Caruso oh so many moons ago. It gives spirals that way, except with thick hair it takes either a whole lot of those curlers and a whole lot of time or you give up, be lazy and only spend 45 minutes (as opposed to an hour and a half) and get some chunky non-distinguished spirals that actually look an awful lot like my natural wave pattern - but I had no clue at the time :rolleyes: Had I known I sure would've saved a lot of time and a lot of money on my hair. You know I actually got a perm once to get my frizz under control - that was an exercise in futility. And my hair takes a perm extra special well - it took me 2 years to cut that out of my hair, I still had some springies going on at the nape of my neck with the last cut.

<snork> that year for Halloween I was dressing up as a clown so I bought a curly colored wig to go with the outfit. I turned my head upside down to brush my hair to get it in the wig. My son came down the stairs and I popped my head up, my friend started laughing so hard I thought she was going to fall out of her chair. I couldn't figure out what her problem was - she said 'look in the mirror' so I did...ummm I didn't need the wig. I actually sprayed my hair with some colored hairspray instead :D

JKR, I haven't tried the rope twisting technique yet. I will though.

Euphony, that is so funny about the wig. Yikes, I see it's grown out from that stage. Your new siggy is so pretty.

Darkwaves, are you posting any of these pics?

Euphony
April 3rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Euphony, that is so funny about the wig. Yikes, I see it's grown out from that stage. Your new siggy is so pretty.

Yes it's grown quite a bit (thank goodness!). Thank you so much for the compliment :flowers:

darkwaves
April 13th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Darkwaves, are you posting any of these pics? No pix for the mini-braids -- I took some, but they were pretty under-spectacular. More like I'd straightened, then wriggled my hair, rather than curled it! There's a pic of the pin curls in my blog.

jessie58
February 15th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I started this thread over 2 years ago but I finally found the answer to my question. I know I sound like a commercial but...

I bought The Instyler. The last time I used a styling tool on my hair was about 20 years ago when I used a blow dryer and a round brush to flip my bangs back. Other than that, I don't use a curling iron or a blow dryer or a straightener.
I looked at the Instyler on YouTube for about 2 years and kept wanting it but was afraid to use a tool on my hair. Partly because I am so inept at styling and partly because I was afraid to ruin my hair.

Recently, a few months ago, I bought the Instyler and used it a few times on my canopy to get rid of some frizz and stick a few curls in. Then last week I decided to do my whole head. I sectioned my hair off, like my daughters do when they straighten their hair. I put in curls in each section, ending on the top. Last week it took me about 15 minutes but this week it took me almost 30. The difference being that I had product in my hair last time and my hair was nice and smooth. This time I air dried my hair after shampooing without any product. Product on the hair made it much smoother and easier to curl. I'll definitely do that again.
Your hair must be completely dry or about 90% dry for the Instyler to work properly or for the curls to stay.
The curls stay for days. I finally found my Catherine Zeta Jones hair. :cheer: :cheese:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/LHC%202011/Februaryhair2011036.jpghttp://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/LHC%202011/Februaryhair2011039.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/LHC%202011/Februaryhair2011038.jpghttp://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/LHC%202011/Februaryhair2011037.jpg

CastaDiva
February 15th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Wow, that`s simply amazingly gorgeous hair:thud:So shiny and absolutely perfect in every way!!

breezefaerie
February 15th, 2011, 10:38 AM
That's amazingly gorgeous! Your hair is beautiful :D

jessie58
February 15th, 2011, 01:53 PM
CastaDiva and BreezeFaerie, thank you very much. The Instyler definitely makes the hair shiny but not as shiny as the flash made it in the pictures though.

McFearless
February 15th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Your hair is gorgeous. Catherine would be proud.

Debra83
February 15th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Your hair is gorgeous. Catherine would be proud.
I agree....deb runs off to google "instyler".....

Marjolein
February 16th, 2011, 05:03 AM
How cool that you finally got that look - after two years! The waves look absolutely magnificent on you!!

UltraBella
February 16th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Very pretty !

I get the look with my Caruso, the curls in my signature were made with it.

mneh
February 16th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Jessie58, your hair looks fabulous - so shiny and smooth while still having tidy, clumping waves. Congrats on achieving the look you wanted! :cheese:

jessie58
February 17th, 2011, 12:45 PM
McFearless, Debra, Marjolien, UltraBella and Mneh, thanks for the lovely comments. :blossom:

UltraBella, I could never get the hang of my Caruso curlers. It was hard to curl with them and they always came out kind of hit and miss. It was the first thing I did (see earlier in the thread) to try to get the look.

UltraBella
February 17th, 2011, 02:22 PM
McFearless, Debra, Marjolien, UltraBella and Mneh, thanks for the lovely comments. :blossom:

UltraBella, I could never get the hang of my Caruso curlers. It was hard to curl with them and they always came out kind of hit and miss. It was the first thing I did (see earlier in the thread) to try to get the look.

Ah, that's too bad ! They are really easy for me and so quick, plus I love that they are not damaging to my hair.
I am happy you found something that works for you !

Lollipop
February 17th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I wanted to mention Torrin Paige-she has a pretty awesome soft set video on youtube. I really love Catherine Zeta Jones hair (she's one of my first hair idols!).

jessie58
February 17th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Ah, that's too bad ! They are really easy for me and so quick, plus I love that they are not damaging to my hair.
I am happy you found something that works for you !

I simply cannot get the hang of those rollers. My ends frizz with them, some turn out really curly and some wavy. Mind you, they were my first attempt at rollers and I only tried them about 1/2 dozen times.

I wanted to say that your siggy pic is the length and look I am striving for. Your hair is lovely.

jessie58
February 17th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I wanted to mention Torrin Paige-she has a pretty awesome soft set video on youtube. I really love Catherine Zeta Jones hair (she's one of my first hair idols!).

I know of Torrin Paige but have not seen this video of hers. She has some great ones, though doesn't she?

Debra83
February 17th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I broke out my conair ceramic ion shine rollers that I purchased through Avon months back and never, ever opened them until this morning. I actually really liked the effect and they didn't even get very hot at all so I don't feel like they were damaging or anything. Of course, I walked out into a raging snowstorm so I'll have to try it again on freshly washed hair. Yesterday, I talked to a salon owner down town about the instyler, and they used to have them in the salon, but was afraid that they would tangle the hair around the barrel because of the bristles, "especially hair like mine". But, she told me where I could order it, but just to be really careful with them. That's why I thought I'd at least try the ceramic ion rollers first.

jessie58
February 17th, 2011, 05:11 PM
I broke out my conair ceramic ion shine rollers that I purchased through Avon months back and never, ever opened them until this morning. I actually really liked the effect and they didn't even get very hot at all so I don't feel like they were damaging or anything. Of course, I walked out into a raging snowstorm so I'll have to try it again on freshly washed hair. Yesterday, I talked to a salon owner down town about the instyler, and they used to have them in the salon, but was afraid that they would tangle the hair around the barrel because of the bristles, "especially hair like mine". But, she told me where I could order it, but just to be really careful with them. That's why I thought I'd at least try the ceramic ion rollers first.

Awesome Debra, I'd love to see a photo if you're able to get one next time.

aenflex
February 17th, 2011, 05:21 PM
ITA with akurah. Paid, high quality stylists. And she looks great for it.

Speedbump
February 17th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I finally found my Catherine Zeta Jones hair. :cheer: :cheese:

You sure did! :thud:

UltraBella
February 17th, 2011, 08:20 PM

Our state cosmetology board will not allow the Instyler to be used in salons here because the bristles/ brush can not be removed to be sanitized. At home, on your own hair, great. In a salon, run the other way unless you want to share hair cooties !

Debra83
February 18th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Our state cosmetology board will not allow the Instyler to be used in salons here because the bristles/ brush can not be removed to be sanitized. At home, on your own hair, great. In a salon, run the other way unless you want to share hair cooties !

Yeah. They used to just have the product for sale...not using them on customers. That WOULD be gross if you put it like that. :p

Debra83
February 18th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Awesome Debra, I'd love to see a photo if you're able to get one next time.

When I get it good, and no snowstorm after, I'll definitely post a pic!!!

Did you have to do multiple passes over the same pieces of hair to get them so smooth/curly with the instyler? My friend thinks that's how it will work, and that the tutorial on the instyle site, she says the black girl's hair was already straightened when they passed the instyler over that section?!! :confused: I didn't see that when I was watching it....so I thought I'd ask if you actually had to do it multiple times to get it done.

jessie58
February 18th, 2011, 01:51 AM
When I get it good, and no snowstorm after, I'll definitely post a pic!!!

Did you have to do multiple passes over the same pieces of hair to get them so smooth/curly with the instyler? My friend thinks that's how it will work, and that the tutorial on the instyle site, she says the black girl's hair was already straightened when they passed the instyler over that section?!! :confused: I didn't see that when I was watching it....so I thought I'd ask if you actually had to do it multiple times to get it done.

You take a section of hair, wrap it around the wand as if you were using a curling iron. You clamp it shut and just hold it in position for about 20 or 30 seconds. No running it down the hair, no pulling, just holding it in position. You let go of the clamp and it's curled and smoothed and shiny.
I cringe when I have had a curling iron or flat iron in my hair, they pull and burn. The Instyler does neither. It gets pretty hot in the hottest position though.

Debra83
February 18th, 2011, 11:55 PM
You take a section of hair, wrap it around the wand as if you were using a curling iron. You clamp it shut and just hold it in position for about 20 or 30 seconds. No running it down the hair, no pulling, just holding it in position. You let go of the clamp and it's curled and smoothed and shiny.
I cringe when I have had a curling iron or flat iron in my hair, they pull and burn. The Instyler does neither. It gets pretty hot in the hottest position though.

Check out the video "how to" on this site they have...is this how you used it? https://www.instyler.ca/

Avital88
February 19th, 2011, 01:50 AM
I love her!! her hair is natural wavy i think and she is just blessed with smooth thick shiny dark hair.

Debra83
February 20th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I love her!! her hair is natural wavy i think and she is just blessed with smooth thick shiny dark hair.

So...went out and bought the last instyler in town (Zellers) this morning. I'm such an impulse buyer!!! But, I broke it out right away and without really reading anything, I used it. This was my very first look after passing it over my hair. One section I did twice. I'm very impressed with how quickly it changes the hair. I used it on low setting...I will practice some more, but I'm happy I got it. I needed to change it up a bit.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6238&pictureid=96571

jessie58
February 20th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Awesome Debra. I found that I was using it on the highest setting and I didn't even need to. So I went to the medium setting, a little cooler and it worked just as well. It heats up so quickly as well.

It's nice for a change isn't it? You can achieve smooth or wavy.

Debra83
February 20th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Awesome Debra. I found that I was using it on the highest setting and I didn't even need to. So I went to the medium setting, a little cooler and it worked just as well. It heats up so quickly as well.

It's nice for a change isn't it? You can achieve smooth or wavy.

I'm going to try it on medium tomorrow morning, IF I can get around to washing my hair tonight so it's dry by morning. They say you can use it on damp hair, but I'd rather have it completely dry, I think.

AnnaJamila
February 20th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Um... I don't mean to be rude, but if your avatar is an actual picture of you, I think your hair is much prettier! Otherwise, I vote hot rollers.

jessie58
February 20th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Um... I don't mean to be rude, but if your avatar is an actual picture of you, I think your hair is much prettier! Otherwise, I vote hot rollers.

Not sure if you were talking to Debra or me...

Debra83
February 20th, 2011, 10:44 PM

No Worries, if you were talking to me!!! But, when you have curly/wavy/frizzy hair ALL your life, it's SO nice to be able to change it up to straight without feeling guilty about incurring too much damage!!! This was my very first attempt with it today, so I'll be able to experiment, and as jessie58 has proven, you can go curly with it too!!! :cheese: (p.s. If you are talking about my sig. pic too, that's damp hair after chelating shampoo - nothing to do with the instyler thingamajiggy!!)

AnnaJamila
February 20th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Your hair is lovely, Debra, but I was talking to the origional poster. (Btw, how do you like the chelating shampoo? I have a really vague idea of what that is but idk, your results are very pretty!)

Your avatar pic looks just like CZJ's hair but smoother and shinier. Idk, did you want a messier look or something? Lol, I think your's looks better, to be honest!

jessie58
February 20th, 2011, 10:55 PM
As for me, my avatar was taken after using the Instyler. I started this thread over 2 years ago looking for a way to get hair that looks like the hair in my avatar. A couple of weeks ago, I finally found the method. My regular hair is kinky/wavy with tons of frizz on the canopy.

ETA: just saw your post above, thank you for the lovely compliment. :D

Debra83
February 20th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Your hair is lovely, Debra, but I was talking to the origional poster. (Btw, how do you like the chelating shampoo? I have a really vague idea of what that is but idk, your results are very pretty!)

Your avatar pic looks just like CZJ's hair but smoother and shinier. Idk, did you want a messier look or something? Lol, I think your's looks better, to be honest!

Oh! Sorry! :o I thought you might be talking to me! (I really am impressed with the chelating shampoo, couldn't believe the slip and how easy to comb after shower...only did it once though as I read somewhere else, too often can dry out your hair....I figure once a month because our water is VERY hard...but this will fix it up for sure! :cheese:)

Debra83
February 20th, 2011, 11:04 PM
As for me, my avatar was taken after using the Instyler. I started this thread over 2 years ago looking for a way to get hair that looks like the hair in my avatar. A couple of weeks ago, I finally found the method. My regular hair is kinky/wavy with tons of frizz on the canopy.

ETA: just saw your post above, thank you for the lovely compliment. :D

jessie58, have you thought about putting the instyler pic of your hair in your album? You'll blow everyone away with the difference in hair styles!!! :D

McFearless
February 20th, 2011, 11:06 PM

I know right?

jessie58's hair>CZJ

Debra83
February 20th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I started this thread over 2 years ago but I finally found the answer to my question. I know I sound like a commercial but...

I bought The Instyler. The last time I used a styling tool on my hair was about 20 years ago when I used a blow dryer and a round brush to flip my bangs back. Other than that, I don't use a curling iron or a blow dryer or a straightener.
I looked at the Instyler on YouTube for about 2 years and kept wanting it but was afraid to use a tool on my hair. Partly because I am so inept at styling and partly because I was afraid to ruin my hair.

Recently, a few months ago, I bought the Instyler and used it a few times on my canopy to get rid of some frizz and stick a few curls in. Then last week I decided to do my whole head. I sectioned my hair off, like my daughters do when they straighten their hair. I put in curls in each section, ending on the top. Last week it took me about 15 minutes but this week it took me almost 30. The difference being that I had product in my hair last time and my hair was nice and smooth. This time I air dried my hair after shampooing without any product. Product on the hair made it much smoother and easier to curl. I'll definitely do that again.
Your hair must be completely dry or about 90% dry for the Instyler to work properly or for the curls to stay.
The curls stay for days. I finally found my Catherine Zeta Jones hair. :cheer: :cheese:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/LHC%202011/Februaryhair2011036.jpghttp://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/LHC%202011/Februaryhair2011039.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/LHC%202011/Februaryhair2011038.jpghttp://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/jessie58/LHC%202011/Februaryhair2011037.jpg

Can I ask what product you used too, please?

jessie58
February 20th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Aw McFearless, that was sweet. :flower:

Debra, I'll see if I can find what I used that day.

CariadA
February 20th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I loooove CZJ!!!

I mentioned to DH that I wanted to try a beer rinse in my hair and he said, "Oh, I heard in an interview once that Catherine Zeta Jones washes her hair in beer".

That completely surprised me. DH is not one to notice "beauty" things. Maybe he noticed because it had to do with beer. That, and he knows how much I adore CZJ.

Anyway, I looked it up, and he was right.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/catherine-zetajones-beer-hair_1136554

Debra83
February 20th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Aw McFearless, that was sweet. :flower:

Debra, I'll see if I can find what I used that day.

:drama::flower::puppy::heart: That would be GREAT! Thanks!!!....:drama::flower::puppy::heart:

jessie58
February 20th, 2011, 11:31 PM
CariadA, she is gorgeous in that link. I wish my hair looked like hers right in that photo. I've never put beer in my hair and not sure what it really does for the hair.

Debra I just looked at my blog and apparently I had washed my hair the day before these pics above and didn't use anything on my hair after, just let it air dry.
The first time I did it though, I had washed my hair the day before and while it was wet, I had put on some Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum and then added some Potion 9. So that was on my dry hair the next day when I used the Instyler. My hair was really nice and stayed in for 4 days, so next time, I'd use some gel or Potion 9 again because I think it helps with setting the style.

Debra83
February 20th, 2011, 11:32 PM
CariadA, she is gorgeous in that link. I wish my hair looked like hers right in that photo. I've never put beer in my hair and not sure what it really does for the hair.

Debra I just looked at my blog and apparently I had washed my hair the day before these pics above and didn't use anything on my hair after, just let it air dry.
The first time I did it though, I had washed my hair the day before and while it was wet, I had put on some Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum and then added some Potion 9. So that was on my dry hair the next day when I used the Instyler. My hair was really nice and stayed in for 4 days, so next time, I'd use some gel or Potion 9 again because I think it helps with setting the style.

Thank you for checking it out!!! :D

wyllowdaemon
February 21st, 2011, 12:02 AM
Exactly what I was going to say. :)

wyllowdaemon
February 21st, 2011, 12:03 AM
Sorry I meant to reply to the poster who said she has a team of stylists doing her hair :)

jessie58
February 21st, 2011, 12:09 AM
Sorry I meant to reply to the poster who said she has a team of stylists doing her hair :)

If you hit the quote button before you reply, then it makes it easy to know who you are replying to. :)

Debra83
February 22nd, 2011, 12:17 AM
Washed my hair this morning and tried again. This pic was taken this evening after a full day of doing stuff and being in snowstorms (no hat).

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6238&pictureid=96675

jessie58
February 22nd, 2011, 02:44 AM
Debra, I tell you, that Instyler is awesome. Your hair turned out so beautifully! Next, I want to see some curls woman! :D

Debra83
February 22nd, 2011, 08:52 PM
Debra, I tell you, that Instyler is awesome. Your hair turned out so beautifully! Next, I want to see some curls woman! :D

Okay!!! :D I'm going to try it tomorrow!!!

Do you use the instyler everyday? If so, do you find it has dried your hair out at all? I haven't used it enough yet, I think, that my hair would be drying out...but I want to try to be careful too!!!

jessie58
February 22nd, 2011, 09:03 PM
No I have only used once a week for the last 3 weeks. In fact, with your hair, I would not use it daily. The effects do tend to last for days for me.