PDA

View Full Version : Is my hair healthy? (Quite long but need opinions)

MoominPaige
October 6th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Hey guys!
I've been dying my hair since I was 14 but it was always long and healthy but last year I went a bit crazy and dyed my hair a lot in a very short space of time, so I had all the damage cut off to my collarbone and started again but then the dye demon got me AGAIN and I start dying...

Now my hair has been cut again to get rid of all my splits and it's just above shoulder and I've decided to stop dying it and too grow it out long again because I miss my hair!
i wash it every 4 days and use argan oil on my ends and deep condition it every wash and I don't use sulfates!

my hair is very soft and hardly breaks anymore so I was wondering if it healthy even though it's been dyed quite a lot?

I know now this is a long post but I just need some favor really!

BlazingHeart
October 6th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Don't worry, this isn't really a long post around here.

It's possible to have healthy hair despite dye, but it is hard and takes more delicate handling and careful choice of products. Usually, when someone wants their hair health judged, they put up pictures - that helps a lot. To put up pictures here, you need to use a photo hosting site like photobucket and link to them (you can't directly host pictures on the forum).

Is your hair prone to tangles? You mentioned it doesn't break, which is good. Do you get many split ends?

Since it's been dyed, unless you're using deposit only dyes, it's simply not going to be as healthy as undyed hair - that's just a fact of life. However, it may still be in relatively good shape. Even if it's not perfectly healthy, what you can do is stop dying now and let your hair start growing out and just know that your previously dyed bits are going to require delicate handling. A lot of people start growing and slowly trim out the dyed bits, because they don't want super short hair but they do want to eventually have the healthiest hair possible. That would mean that you probably need to avoid things that cause mechanical damage, like heat, rough handling, seams on your hair tools, etc.

But it will be easier to tell you more with a picture of your hair!

Firefox7275
October 6th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Hey guys!
I've been dying my hair since I was 14 but it was always long and healthy but last year I went a bit crazy and dyed my hair a lot in a very short space of time, so I had all the damage cut off to my collarbone and started again but then the dye demon got me AGAIN and I start dying...

Now my hair has been cut again to get rid of all my splits and it's just above shoulder and I've decided to stop dying it and too grow it out long again because I miss my hair!
i wash it every 4 days and use argan oil on my ends and deep condition it every wash and I don't use sulfates!

my hair is very soft and hardly breaks anymore so I was wondering if it healthy even though it's been dyed quite a lot?

I know now this is a long post but I just need some favor really!

Welcome!

If you have permanently dyed hair on your head then it is damaged it's just hopefully not fried or beyond salvaging. You could have a hair analysis to learn more about it's condition and properties.
http://www.clinicalservicesjournal.com/Print.aspx?Story=4313
http://pedaheh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/goosefootprints-hair-analysis-with-my.html

Consider switching to coconut oil, it's not only proven to penetrate but also to reduce porosity, increase elasticity and preserve structural proteins. Hydrolysed protein is particularly beneficial for both fine and colour treated hair.
http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/06/size-matters-protein-conditioning-part.html

0xalis
October 6th, 2013, 07:36 PM
If it's not breaking that's all that matters. Your hair doesn't have to be 110% to grow, you just need it to be coming out of your scalp and for the ends to not break off. If it feels healthy, and doesn't break, you're fine. I mean yeah sure it's technically damaged but you really don't need to worry about it. Just be very gentle and kind to it ♥

MoominPaige
October 7th, 2013, 06:04 AM
My hair doesn't tangle that much if I'm honest and I only finger comb my hair and I don't use heat at all because it makes my hair frizzy!
The only reason I've asked is because as my hair grows out I don't want to cut it because I care more about length than the hair dye line! But I might just dye the ends to match the roots! I don't know!

Is their a thread for learning to put photos up!

MoominPaige
October 7th, 2013, 06:17 AM
If it's not breaking that's all that matters. Your hair doesn't have to be 110% to grow, you just need it to be coming out of your scalp and for the ends to not break off. If it feels healthy, and doesn't break, you're fine. I mean yeah sure it's technically damaged but you really don't need to worry about it. Just be very gentle and kind to it ♥

It was breaking and that's why I got it cut back up to just collarbone length!! But now it's not breaking at all and it's not fried either <3

Panth
October 7th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Healthy is a really vague term. And anyway, everything causes damage - life causes damage to hair!

If it's not breaking, any splitting is manageable, it's not tangling and it is shiny and "healthy-looking" enough for your preferences then - yes! it's ok!