PDA

View Full Version : how to wash your hair DRY...?!?!?!?

stachelbeere
October 6th, 2013, 02:54 PM
I stumbled upon this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P3cLZgQs_Y) on youtube. I don't know what to think about this particular shampooing technique so I came here for the experts' opinions!

"hair is like a sponge - if your saturate it with water the sponge is not going to get clean when you put soap on it" the girl said [no sure I remembered the exact words] - hmmm I'm not sure this is how hair washing works. But then again there are comments underneath her video that seem rather enthusiastic about this method. On the other hand she is putting shampoo only on her scalp so I believe it's less drying than if you put it on your whole head. I really don't know.

So what do you think?

Firefox7275
October 6th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Pretty sure you don't want shampoo soaking INTO your hair! Anyway shampoo is formulated to be diluted by the water in/ on your hair after wetting it.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair?page=4

sarahthegemini
October 6th, 2013, 03:16 PM
The idea of putting shampoo on dry hair makes me cringe! Surely it'd be harsher as well, as there's no water to diluteiit and she is using A LOT of shampoo.

stachelbeere
October 6th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Firefox7275 thanks for replying, I hoped that you would give your opinion no this matter :o

I agree!!! I was cringing when she said that and thought that it was just BS. But then again if she's distributing the shampoo on dry hair I wonder if that opens the cuticle layer? Maybe she's successful with this method because it gets her hair clean, idk, it didn't look like she had super healthy, shiny hair in the first place.

lapushka
October 6th, 2013, 04:03 PM
She still uses water. She only applies the shampoo to dry hair and introduces the water later. I wouldn't call that dry-washing at all!

Amygirl8
October 6th, 2013, 07:33 PM
I will attempt this tomorrow.
Why not? I'm always up for trying something new c:

CurlMonster
October 7th, 2013, 01:51 AM
I will be curious to see what you think, Amygirl8. The comments are quite positive, which surprises me because I would've thought this would be very stripping/drying. Interesting...

stachelbeere
October 7th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Amygirl8 - did you try it? what are the results?

Amygirl8
October 7th, 2013, 02:04 PM
I just washed my hair (thankfully I remembered right before I stepped under the shower) and it felt much cleaner than it usually does. It was really hard to get it in, as the shampoo without water is frighteningly sticky. It explains why she needed so much.
I will update on the condition after the hair is fully dried c:

Jenny31557
October 7th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Get windmilling!!! I want to know if it turns out well lol :)

spidermom
October 7th, 2013, 02:22 PM
This seems so misguided somehow. Diluted shampoo to wet hair works perfectly fine and makes a little shampoo last a long-long-long time.

stachelbeere
October 7th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I just washed my hair (thankfully I remembered right before I stepped under the shower) and it felt much cleaner than it usually does. It was really hard to get it in, as the shampoo without water is frighteningly sticky. It explains why she needed so much.
I will update on the condition after the hair is fully dried c:

interesting... so how is it after it has dried?

Amygirl8
October 7th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Ok, my hair is finally dry and I'm ready to post ^.^

To quickly sum it up: I quite like it. Usually on wash day the hair on my head is very dry and frizzy (I wash it twice, very well, because it's the only way I can get the dandruff to go away >.<) but with this method it feels a lot softer and less... hot to put it? Fragile? It feels a little more elastic, which is good.
The bangs of my hair really like it. They're being very co-operative, which makes me think the stickiness of the shampoo helped in a way. They're falling nicely in place, and my hair has volume. It's shiny, too.
I personally like how my hair turned out. I think next time I might try this for all my hair, not just my scalp, and see what happens ^.^

Macaroni
October 7th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Ok, my hair is finally dry and I'm ready to post ^.^

To quickly sum it up: I quite like it. Usually on wash day the hair on my head is very dry and frizzy (I wash it twice, very well, because it's the only way I can get the dandruff to go away >.<) but with this method it feels a lot softer and less... hot to put it? Fragile? It feels a little more elastic, which is good.
The bangs of my hair really like it. They're being very co-operative, which makes me think the stickiness of the shampoo helped in a way. They're falling nicely in place, and my hair has volume. It's shiny, too.
I personally like how my hair turned out. I think next time I might try this for all my hair, not just my scalp, and see what happens ^.^

Oh dear, I fear an experiment is in my future tonight :)

If it works well, I may continue with it and finally, my shampoo and conditioner bottles will empty at the same time!

stachelbeere
October 8th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Amygirl8 sounds really great :D