PDA

View Full Version : Question about my hair color/rant (pics)

AmberLouise
October 6th, 2013, 01:26 PM
I've been growing my natural hair color out and I think it's a medium to light blonde and it seems like any female I ask agrees with me but when I ask my boyfriend (or any other guy) they say it's dark blonde. So I guess I just want to see what others think it is...

And on another note, I wonder if with all the bleached blondes walking around if there is a distorted view of what real blonde hair looks like. I think all the guys around me see my hair as dark blonde because they are so use to seeing white blonde hair (although I know some girls really do have white blonde hair naturally).

Also I get a lot of negative remarks on how yellow/golden(brassy) my natural color is. It seems like natural blonde hair isn't considered as pretty as bleached blonde, and people make me feel like I need to fix the "brassy" tone of my hair :(

I'm not a huge fan of blonde hair on me in the first place (I loved my black hair) add to that all the negative comments I've been receiving on it... I'm just really tempted to dye it back to black and be done with it but that would mean I chopped off all of my hair for no reason (I chopped my hair into a pixie so that I could grow out my natural color). I just feel really self conscious about my hair right now and I'm sick of people saying I need tone my "yellow" hair.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j341/ambersandsean/1ac41547-8109-4303-956c-9ea424334bdc_zps60c555e4.jpg (http://s1081.photobucket.com/user/ambersandsean/media/1ac41547-8109-4303-956c-9ea424334bdc_zps60c555e4.jpg.html)

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j341/ambersandsean/1d73029e-4364-4c56-8521-1358568a9642_zpsf543fd77.jpg (http://s1081.photobucket.com/user/ambersandsean/media/1d73029e-4364-4c56-8521-1358568a9642_zpsf543fd77.jpg.html)

massivecnqstdr
October 6th, 2013, 01:32 PM
On my monitor it looks like a level 9 or 10, so I would say it's definitely light blonde.

prettyinpink
October 6th, 2013, 01:37 PM
light blonde. I dont know why they say its brassy. I would much rather have golden hair then white! its rare to see that color natural. Very pretty. =D

sarah061
October 6th, 2013, 01:44 PM
That definitely looks like a light blonde to me! I don't understand why you've been getting those comments on it, it's such a pretty color!

Firefox7275
October 6th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Maybe come up with a few stock responses, point out their weight/ nose/ dress sense 'needs' fixing. Or "thanks for making me feel horrible about my natural hair". Tone it if YOU want to, I think it's pretty.

Some silly moo told me a couple of weeks ago my naturally wavy/ still damp so slightly noodley hair looked unnatural and offered me a hair bobble! The hilarious part of that comment is my hair is dyed bright pink-red which clearly shows I don't give a monkeys about it looking natural. Sometimes people are deliberately bitchy.

BrightEyes
October 6th, 2013, 01:47 PM
I would definitely say your hair is a very pretty golden light blonde. I wouldn't let people's comments bother you, many use box color (or bleach like me) to achieve such a lovely shade. You are very fortunate :)

stachelbeere
October 6th, 2013, 02:29 PM
when I first saw your photos I was amazed at how beautiful your hair looks. then I read your post and I couldn't understand how on earth anyone would DARE to criticise such beautiful hair - I suspect that it might be envy - who wouldn't want their hair to be like this naturally, it's such a wonderful golden tone <3 so don't worry, grow it out, embrace it and haters gonna hate :)

summergreen
October 6th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Yes light blonde, and a really pretty colour! :)

lapushka
October 6th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Yet another vote for light blonde. That most certainly isn't a dark blonde. Tell your BF he's clueless. You aren't going to let this get you down to the point of dying your hair back to black, surely? Come on!

Hiriel
October 6th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Yep, light, and gorgeously golden! Golden is not the same as brassy. The colour looks great! Of course I don't know if black suited you better since I haven't seen the rest of you, but your skin looks pale, and I'm sure the golden hair looks nice on you :)

stachelbeere
October 6th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Yep, light, and gorgeously golden! Golden is not the same as brassy. The colour looks great! Of course I don't know if black suited you better since I haven't seen the rest of you, but your skin looks pale, and I'm sure the golden hair looks nice on you :)

exactly - you'd be a strawberry blonde if your hair was 'brassy' methinks.

Annibelle
October 6th, 2013, 03:02 PM
I loooove that color!

rosaacicularis
October 6th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! I would definitely say light blonde. I'm of the firm belief that we all have the best hair color for us coming out of our head naturally - like cats! We just have the ability to self-criticize. Add me to the list of folks who think you should keep up with your goal of growing out that natural color. I'll be happy to see your progress!

Magalo
October 6th, 2013, 03:20 PM
This is very light blonde! Pretty rare for an adult. And it's not yellow: it's golden, warm-toned and it's beautiful. Let the negative comments slide on your back like water off a duck's wings!

Nope
October 6th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! So many people would go through copious amounts of bleaching an struggling for that beautiful color. You are blessed C:
Also, don't tone your hair unless you want to. Don't let other people make you feel pressured to change your color unless you want to change it.

Tail Feathers
October 6th, 2013, 03:30 PM
i imagine that anyone who would comment negatively on something so beautiful
must almost certainly be both envious and rude.

and yes, i think it is a beautiful, natural !, light blond.
i would not touch a thing, but only elt it grow as long as you want.

slynr
October 6th, 2013, 03:34 PM
You have very beautiful hair. I wouldn't do a thing to it at all. It will be magical as it grows long...like spun gold.

Tail Feathers
October 6th, 2013, 03:58 PM
i imagine that anyone who would comment negatively on something so beautiful
must almost certainly be both envious and rude.

and yes, i think it is a beautiful, natural !, light blond.
i would not touch a thing, but only let it grow as long as you want.

Babzilla
October 6th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Most men don't know $&/* about hair.

Who cares what anyone calls it? Gorgeous, healthy and golden!

AmberLouise
October 6th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words! I've been feeling very down about this lately so all the positive feedback really helps. It's been though enough for me to stick with my natural color but then when people criticize it, it makes it even harder. I'm pretty determined to stick with it though.

Babzilla
October 6th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Seriously, if you dye that color black, I will cry.

BlazingHeart
October 6th, 2013, 04:22 PM
This is the kind of blonde that is sometimes called 'sunshine' blonde, because it's glowing and golden like sunlight. Absolutely lovely, and definitely light blonde. I don't know if you liked the Little House on the Prairie books when you were a kid, but this is the sort of color I envisioned Mary's so-envied blonde hair to be when I read them.

Most men tend to have either very narrow or very vague definitions of what colors are. Despite the fact that I've worked to educate mine, I'm not sure he could tell a brick red from a burgandy from a coral, much less tell different shades of hair. My hair, for example, is chestnut - mostly brown with red undertones - but my fiance would just describe it as 'red', despite meeting my mother who has what is typically thought of as 'true' red hair - that bright orangey red, and my sister who borders between deep strawberry blond and true red. For that matter, my mother calls my dad's hair black, he calls it brown, and it truth it's brown-black.

Freija
October 6th, 2013, 04:42 PM
It's beautiful - really, really beautiful. It's very much a light blonde - not even medium - and I love the golden tones!

Just hold your shiny, healthy head high and enjoy it, dear one: either ignore the comments or point out politely, but frostily, that it isn't their place to say anything about your hair. They'll soon get the message. As others have said, they're probably doing it either out of envy (I really wouldn't be surprised) or sheer ignorance about what beautiful, natural, virgin hair really looks like.

Marbid
October 6th, 2013, 04:50 PM
I say... Perhaps you should show your BoyFriend a picture of what natural dark blond looks like. What sunshine blonde/ light blond (your hair color) looks like. What strawberry blond looks like (the brassy type they are speaking of) And what unnatural bleached blond (the white blond one) looks like. And tell him, that bleached blond color is not natural. Only albinos have that kind of hair naturally growing out of their hair.

These people are just sooo accustomed to chemically treated hair, that they do not recognize what natural blond looks like anymore. It's true. Now adays, there are very few ladies out there that have hair a virgin blond. And the blond gents out there tend to have very short hair anyhow.

Also, please understand. Men don't see color the same way girls do. Men perceive color not as brightly as women and they cannot tell the subtle differences between close shades of color. To a guys eyes. That red brick and the burgundy brick both look the same. Literally. Physically. They will never look burgundy and red. To him, you are just weird for saying they are different. In his eyes it's just "whatever, its clearly the same, lets just say ok so that we can get this over with"

Here is a link that explains this phenomenon a bit more. According to the link, it's caused by the testosterone in a males brain leading them to percieve color differently.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2197888/Men-women-really-DO-things-differently-Our-brains-process-colours-different-ways.html

Freija
October 6th, 2013, 04:55 PM
This is the kind of blonde that is sometimes called 'sunshine' blonde, because it's glowing and golden like sunlight. Absolutely lovely, and definitely light blonde. I don't know if you liked the Little House on the Prairie books when you were a kid, but this is the sort of color I envisioned Mary's so-envied blonde hair to be when I read them.

Most men tend to have either very narrow or very vague definitions of what colors are. Despite the fact that I've worked to educate mine, I'm not sure he could tell a brick red from a burgandy from a coral, much less tell different shades of hair. My hair, for example, is chestnut - mostly brown with red undertones - but my fiance would just describe it as 'red', despite meeting my mother who has what is typically thought of as 'true' red hair - that bright orangey red, and my sister who borders between deep strawberry blond and true red. For that matter, my mother calls my dad's hair black, he calls it brown, and it truth it's brown-black.

Absolutely true! I have light auburn hair, a sort of warm gold/bronze colour, but my boyfriend just cannot see it. To him it's just brown, and he looks on fondly (but also as though I'm slightly crazy) when I try to insist it's not. To him, 'red' hair is vivid scarlet, like Merida's in Brave, and nothing else - lighter rusty or strawberry shades he sees as being 'ginger', and anything darker he sees as brown.

Macaroni
October 6th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Your hair is Light Golden Blonde 9G and it's gorgeous.

WoolSweater
October 6th, 2013, 08:26 PM
I have naturally dark blonde hair. If you stood beside me when my hair was virgin, your colour would make mine look like black, haha! All that to say... that is *light* blonde, and completely gorgeous. You're lucky to have that growing out of your head!

Leeloo
October 6th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Maybe come up with a few stock responses, point out their weight/ nose/ dress sense 'needs' fixing. Or "thanks for making me feel horrible about my natural hair". Tone it if YOU want to, I think it's pretty.

I second what Firefox said. Your hair color looks light blonde and very pretty

Salmonberry
October 6th, 2013, 10:25 PM
I'd call it very light blonde. That's a rare color to have naturally. People call me blonde, but my hair is really "blondette" when it grows out of my scalp and it slowly gets bleached my the sun. My ends look about the same color as your roots. I would be dark blonde, but you? Definitely light blonde. It's very pretty by the way.

Quixii
October 6th, 2013, 10:54 PM
A very pretty light blonde!

Kat
October 6th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Definitely a true blond. "dark" blond would be closer to what I would call Quixii's hair above, though she may be shading into the definition of "light brown"-- my color is very similar as well, and it was a long time before I started calling it light brown (when I was young, my hair was a slightly lighter blond than yours and has gradually gotten darker over the years, so it was hard to tell where I passed that line and I was A. so used to calling myself blond and B. could still see plenty of gold highlights in my hair, that I considered myself dark blond for a long time. I still have a hard time renewing my license when they ask what color my hair is because I'm not 100% sure how to define it! I tend to call it "dark blond/light brown" or "honey blond" or something. But I did also have a "discussion" with my former partner once in which he had no idea whatsoever how I could in any way define my hair as blond. He would concede to my hair MAYBE being LIGHT brown, but to him it was definitely brown.

So I suppose your conundrum sort of makes sense-- if what I would define as "dark blond" is "light brown" to men, then I suppose that anything not white-blond might be "dark blond" to them??

I was going to say that in the meantime, if anyone made nasty remarks, you should icily reply, "Exactly what is wrong with my NATURAL hair?" and hope they'd have enough class not to criticize the way you naturally are as if you chose it and made a poor choice... but I've been on the receiving end of enough "you'd be so pretty if..." comments, which pretty much always criticize something about a person that they "ought" to doctor up and not leave the way nature gave it to them, to know they'd feel no shame...

teawitch
October 7th, 2013, 01:36 AM
Looks like a gorgeous, golden light blonde to me. My dad has natural platinum blond hair, so I know light blonde when I see it. No way is that dark blonde. And it certainly isn't brassy. Your natural hair color is something a lot of people would spend a ton of money to get, so I think many of the negative remarks you get about it are probably due to jealousy!

browneyedsusan
October 7th, 2013, 05:41 AM
You color is drop-dead gorgeous! The "people" you are referring to are out of their minds! You are a lucky girl to have such a pretty, and eye-catching natural color!

RainbowPearl
October 7th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Light blonde is what I see on my monitor. Very beautiful.

spidermom
October 7th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Light golden blonde and very pretty. My hair was close to that color as a child. My family referred to it as yellow-blonde.

Stray_mind
October 7th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Yup, light blonde. Such a rarity to see a natural colour like that. And it's very pretty. My classmate had the same colour natural hair. Everyone thought it was dyed :)

AmberLouise
October 7th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Thanks again everyone for your kind words.

Kat- I do think it's the same thing as with your hair, just because my hair isn't white blonde men seem to think it' not a light blonde. It's one of those things that even though it's not a big deal I still find it slightly annoying.

IndigoOptimist
October 7th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Most defiantly blonde! My boyfriend say my hair colour (without a red wash put over it every so often) is a dark blonde, and it's much darker than your hair.
I think you hair colour is lovely and if my natural colour was like that then I wouldn't bother bring out the red in it (I just think it's really boring and gray looking).
Don't listen to what people say, they only think it's ''too yellow'' because bleach blonds are a cooler tone and most 'blonds' are bleached. Not many people are lucky enough to have lovely natural blonde like you :)

Unicorn
October 7th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I'm struggling to see how anyone could describe your hair as anything but light blonde, (apart from golden blonde of course :) ) It's a beautiful colour!

I usually roll my eyes when posters assume negative comments are due to jealously, but in this case I think it's true. There was one girl in my school (only one!) who had similar hair colour, the bitchiness aimed at her was appalling. You have the "golden blonde" of fairly tales.

Unicorn

teawitch
October 7th, 2013, 02:07 PM
I usually roll my eyes when posters assume negative comments are due to jealously, but in this case I think it's true. There was one girl in my school (only one!) who had similar hair colour, the bitchiness aimed at her was appalling. You have the "golden blonde" of fairly tales.

Unicorn

Trust me, I am not one who would normally assume such a thing either, even though I made the comment about jealousy. I just think this is actually a case where the people making negative comments about her hair color may have a serious case of envy. There are a lot of people out there who would really love to have blonde hair like hers. It really is a fairy tale color like you said.

xoam0re
October 7th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Some silly moo told me a couple of weeks ago my naturally wavy/ still damp so slightly noodley hair looked unnatural and offered me a hair bobble! The hilarious part of that comment is my hair is dyed bright pink-red which clearly shows I don't give a monkeys about it looking natural.

LOL... this made me giggle.

Not Lynn Merely
October 7th, 2013, 03:05 PM
I agree with Kat. I would call your hair true blond. Lighter hair, shading toward platinum, stops looking blond to me and starts looking white. Darker starts looking brown. But your hair is that perfect blond on which all other shades of blond are based. It is lovely.

And DBF calls our burgundy mugs and a rather pinkish-cinnamon cup all "red," so I wouldn't read too much into men's names for colors... The only reasonable thing to ask them about your hair color is "pretty or not pretty?" Anything with naming specific shades is just asking for trouble!

Kherome
October 7th, 2013, 03:41 PM
I would call it like a "honey" blond, maybe even a hint of strawberry in it.

Nedertane
October 7th, 2013, 04:10 PM
I'm slightly confused. OP, are we looking at your whole hair color, or just your roots? Because on my computer, your roots ALMOST look like they could be dark blonde (closer to medium blonde, though, like level 8 ). However, if we're talking about your whole hair color, and if it's all natural then yeah, it is most definitely a light blonde (probably level 9, maybe 10), perhaps with golden tints. Heck, it almost looks like platinum. Otherwise, I am literally at a loss to understand why people could describe your hair as dark anything - not even the infamously tough-on-light-color Scandinavians would call that brown or dark blonde!

ETA: I reread your original post, and you said you're growing out your original color, so I guess I am supposed to be looking at your roots. In that case, there MIGHT be enough contrast to make it look like dark blonde, at least in some lights, but I'm even hesitant to give that excuse. :p

MidnightSunlite
October 7th, 2013, 04:21 PM
I've been growing my natural hair color out and I think it's a medium to light blonde and it seems like any female I ask agrees with me but when I ask my boyfriend (or any other guy) they say it's dark blonde. So I guess I just want to see what others think it is...

And on another note, I wonder if with all the bleached blondes walking around if there is a distorted view of what real blonde hair looks like. I think all the guys around me see my hair as dark blonde because they are so use to seeing white blonde hair (although I know some girls really do have white blonde hair naturally).

Also I get a lot of negative remarks on how yellow/golden(brassy) my natural color is. It seems like natural blonde hair isn't considered as pretty as bleached blonde, and people make me feel like I need to fix the "brassy" tone of my hair :(

I'm not a huge fan of blonde hair on me in the first place (I loved my black hair) add to that all the negative comments I've been receiving on it... I'm just really tempted to dye it back to black and be done with it but that would mean I chopped off all of my hair for no reason (I chopped my hair into a pixie so that I could grow out my natural color). I just feel really self conscious about my hair right now and I'm sick of people saying I need tone my "yellow" hair.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j341/ambersandsean/1ac41547-8109-4303-956c-9ea424334bdc_zps60c555e4.jpg (http://s1081.photobucket.com/user/ambersandsean/media/1ac41547-8109-4303-956c-9ea424334bdc_zps60c555e4.jpg.html)

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j341/ambersandsean/1d73029e-4364-4c56-8521-1358568a9642_zpsf543fd77.jpg (http://s1081.photobucket.com/user/ambersandsean/media/1d73029e-4364-4c56-8521-1358568a9642_zpsf543fd77.jpg.html)

IT looks like light blonde to me, and I say it's very pretty! Lol I'm quite jealous! You don't really need to bleach your hair to dye it so... less damage!

AmberLouise
October 7th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Nedertane- Actually all the hair you see in the picture is my natural color, there are some dyed parts left in my hair but those part aren't visible in the photos. The darkness you see in the picture right where my hair is parted is just a shadow.

Again thanks everyone for your kind words! It's nice knowing that not everyone thinks it looks like a bad bleach job because of all the "yellow" in it. I guess it must just be a guy thing, if it's not platinum they think it's dark.

Nedertane
October 7th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Nedertane- Actually all the hair you see in the picture is my natural color, there are some dyed parts left in my hair but those part aren't visible in the photos. The darkness you see in the picture right where my hair is parted is just a shadow.

Again thanks everyone for your kind words! It's nice knowing that not everyone thinks it looks like a bad bleach job because of all the "yellow" in it. I guess it must just be a guy thing, if it's not platinum they think it's dark.

Aaaahhhh! Okay, thank you. Then yes, I'm still at an absolute loss for how your hair could be interpreted as dark blonde. Heck, for what it's worth, I feel like even most guys would associate your hair as being "true blonde". When it's dark blonde, it can be a toss-up for people to call it brown or blonde (See: my entire life's experience). Maybe your boyfriend watches too much Game of Thrones and thinks only Daenerys Targaryen's hair can be blonde. :P

McFearless
October 7th, 2013, 05:36 PM
You have to be really firm about silencing people who make negative comments on your appearance. Let them know you won't tolerate unsolicited advice on how to "improve" your hair. It is a beautiful golden colour. Own it!

Naiadryade
October 7th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Your hair is absolutely gorgeous! Definitely a light golden blonde. Tell anyone who criticizes it to shove it.

You boyfriend, on the other hand, well... as other have said guys usually don't know color or how to describe hair in general. My boyfriend thinks my 2a hair, which has long, loose waves and is never completely straight, is "straight." When I use heatless curl methods to put bouncy spirals in it--my hair holds any shape I give it at least for a while--he calls it "wavy." :shrug: Boys! I just don't worry about it and am grateful he's noticing it at all, because I know he knows it's important to me but he could really care less.