PDA

View Full Version : Scalp problem... help!

BowTie
October 6th, 2013, 10:38 AM
A long story but I try to keep it short. About year ago I had this scalp problem were it would itch badly and I would scratch it till it bled.. not good and I basucally had to cut my hair because of the damage:mad: I got this thing from the pharmacy that I applied for my scalp and in about a month my scalp wasn't read anymore. I still sometimes would have an itch almost daily but at least it didn't bleed anymore.

I used to wash my hair daily. Since August I've washed my hair only 1-3 times a week. My hair absolutely loves it ajd I've been happy. It also itches less but now I have another problem with my scalp. It sheds! So, I washed on Friday morning: washed my scalp twice, rinsed well, put conditioner in the ends and rinsed with ice cold water. Didn't use any heat or styling products.
On Friday and whole Saturday my hair looks great. On Saturday morning I scritch my hair and notice that white thing on my nails. I don't mind as my hair looks nice. Today I've kept it up and when I combed it it just sheds so much. There are not much dandruff on my scalp and I really don't notice it on my clothes but it still bothers me. Tomorrow is my washing day but I'm just so upset with my scalp...

What should I do? Any tips?

Firefox7275
October 6th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Best thing to do is get a formal diagnosis from your family doctor or a dermatologist and properly address that, do be aware that few here have any medical qualifications. Self treating a self diagnosis can very easily worsen a problem.

Whilst you are awaiting an appointment it would be worth reviewing your diet making it as anti inflammatory and nutrient dense as possible. Also stop scratching: you can easily get stuck in the 'itch-scratch cycle' instead use cold compresses.

BowTie
October 6th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Best thing to do is get a formal diagnosis from your family doctor or a dermatologist and properly address that, do be aware that few here have any medical qualifications. Self treating a self diagnosis can very easily worsen a problem.

Whilst you are awaiting an appointment it would be worth reviewing your diet making it as anti inflammatory and nutrient dense as possible. Also stop scratching: you can easily get stuck in the 'itch-scratch cycle' instead use cold compresses.

I'm currently abroad but I will visit a doctor here if it gets bloody or I become addicted with scratching again.
I don't have any other skin problems such as dryness and I don't think my body is greasy either.
Thank you for your reply!

Heni
October 6th, 2013, 01:10 PM
I had the same problem last year,scratched my scalp so bad that I got a lot of scars and bleeding. I couldn't wait until I got home and I could scratch it with my fingers and with a brush..it was so bad! Then I started CO washing and oiling my scalp, I just rarely use shampoo (baby's spampoo)now, because my scalp gets irritated easily and the itch comes back. This helped me totally, maybe it could help to you also. Hope you can solve your problems and all these bad thing will be gone soon! :)

Flor
October 6th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Shedding is normal. If you wear hair up all day and shampoo less often, then you WILL have more shedding when you brush it at night and when you wash it. Because it's time shed hair finally has time to escape. A lot of people go through increased shedding period in Fall as well.

White stuff on your nails may not necessarily be dandruff, could just be sebum and dead skin. If it's not itchy or flaking, there's nothing wrong with it.

In2wishin
October 6th, 2013, 01:53 PM
I second the trip to a dermatologist. Take all of the products you use on your hair with you so the Dr. can check ingredients for potential allergens or sensitivities.

BowTie
October 6th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Thank you for all your replies! I don't know if I'm a bit paranoid with my scalp.. I just wish it'd be nice to me at least once in my life!

I've tried so many shampoos.. the salon ones, the drugstore ones, the sulphate-free ones.. it seems that my scalp is still always itchy. I think my scalp was happiest when I only washed with water a couple of times a week and shampooed only once... it didn't itch as bad then. However, my hair felt very dry. Maybe I should use conditioner on my ends? I think I'm going to try water only wash with conditioner tomorrow and see if it helps.. sometimes after shampooing it feels like my scalp would be on fire lol!

BlazingHeart
October 6th, 2013, 06:32 PM
There's no reason not to try conditioner only, or to shampoo once a week but condition each time you get your hair wet, especially if you're not using 'cones. You might check out the conditioner only washing thread, it has a lot of info on how to wash without shampoo that might be helpful to you.

The fiery feeling on your scalp suggests that your scalp does NOT like what you're washing it with. Do all shampoos do that to you? You may have an ingredient sensitivity, or you may be scratching deeply enough that you've got small tears in the skin, which is very easy to do. Ever wash a cut out with soap? Ouch! Or you may have a skin condition - I, for example, have psoriasis, and when it's acting up, washing can be rather painful, both in terms of what I'm putting on my scalp and in terms of the motions themselves.

In2wishin
October 6th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Thank you for all your replies! I don't know if I'm a bit paranoid with my scalp.. I just wish it'd be nice to me at least once in my life!

I've tried so many shampoos.. the salon ones, the drugstore ones, the sulphate-free ones.. it seems that my scalp is still always itchy. I think my scalp was happiest when I only washed with water a couple of times a week and shampooed only once... it didn't itch as bad then. However, my hair felt very dry. Maybe I should use conditioner on my ends? I think I'm going to try water only wash with conditioner tomorrow and see if it helps.. sometimes after shampooing it feels like my scalp would be on fire lol!

You really should check out allergy possibilities with a Dr. Everyone is different, but my scalp issues were caused by certain common preservatives used in both shampoo and conditioner.

BowTie
October 7th, 2013, 05:08 AM
I just washed with water (put condition in the ends) Before washing my scalp was totally on fire and I was quite afraid to put shampoo into it. After water wash and goid massage/combing my scalp feels good. I'm going to spend whole day inside so I'm not going to worry too much about my hair.