PDA

View Full Version : Castor oil for treating Trich related thinning - A journey.

Rio040113
October 6th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I'm a long time lurker turned newbie here, so I'm slightly scared of starting my very own thread but here I go...

As a child I had reasonably thick (high ii/possibly low iii) hair, which through years of dye/heat/back combing etc ended up as mid ii but I was still very happy with it, people still commented on it's thickness and it looked totally fine. Due to a very stressful period I ended up with Trich, I've had it for about 3 years but it's been significantly worse this past year or so. I'm 99% pull free at the moment (it's hard but it's possible!). Over the last ~19 months however I've lost just over 1 inch of my thickness, officially taking me from mid ii (a comfortable 3 inches as measured in March 2012) to just teetering into i (a smidge under 2 inches as of today).

My worst areas are my front hairline and my crown, they both show quite a lot of scalp. After catching sight of myself on a cctv camera in a shop the other day and being upset to the point of considering a wig (hey, it's not often I see my head from that angle, it was a wee shock), I've decided to be as proactive as I can and start using Castor oil! I've read a lot of good things on this forum about it, with a few neutral comments and a sprinkle of bad thrown in as well, so I don't expect a miracle but I am cautiously hopeful :)

I've just ordered my supplies today -

1x 250ml Pukka cold pressed organic Castor oil
1x 118ml Miaroma pure Avocado oil
1x 200g Biona Coconut oil (raw, organic and virgin)
A few plastic shower caps (I intend to leave the oil on overnight)
1x 'Turbie' (To help keep things warm and secure during the night)

After a bit of research it seems cutting the Castor oil with another oil is wise, although I'm not sure how thick the Pukka one is compared to the commonly used Hollywood Beauty one. I went with the Pukka due to the Mink oil in the Hollywood brand. Avocado and Coconut seemed to be the most recommended oils for the mix so I went with both, having already used and loved the Biona Coconut oil for a long time previously.

My plan is to apply the mix 1-2 times a week giving myself a nice scalp massage in the process, before keeping it on overnight. I will take 'before' pictures of my scalp today as it's (shampoo) wash day, then take monthly 'update' pictures as I go along. I'll take a length picture today as well but won't bother with length thickness updates for a few months at least, until any new growth starts to hit ponytail length.

So that's it, I'm pretty hopeful, wish me luck please guys? :D

Also, if anyone is interested in seeing my progress, I'll happily post my update pictures in this thread once a month for people to see, plus share anything I learn along the way..?

hannabiss
October 6th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Good luck I've been using castor oil for about 21/2 months now. I would say my hair is a little thicker. Maybe just healthier. The massages help a lot I think. I hope it helps you!

Rio040113
October 6th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Good luck I've been using castor oil for about 21/2 months now. I would say my hair is a little thicker. Maybe just healthier. The massages help a lot I think. I hope it helps you!

Thank you! :)

prettyinpink
October 6th, 2013, 12:02 PM
I think i have trich as well! I dont pull out individual hairs, but ill grab a chunk of hair and pull and pull until strands fall out, and i do this hours a day. keep us posted, i would like to know how castor oil worked for you. Some people's hair dosent like coconut oil. Do you know if yours does? Try wearing your hair up in a bun and you wont feel as much of an urge to pull your hair. good luck

Rio040113
October 6th, 2013, 04:55 PM
I think i have trich as well! I dont pull out individual hairs, but ill grab a chunk of hair and pull and pull until strands fall out, and i do this hours a day. keep us posted, i would like to know how castor oil worked for you. Some people's hair dosent like coconut oil. Do you know if yours does? Try wearing your hair up in a bun and you wont feel as much of an urge to pull your hair. good luck

I'm sorry to hear that :( I shall do :) My hair is a fan of coconut oil, which is awesome because I love the smell haha, so I'd probably end up carrying the jar around to sniff otherwise! I bun my hair daily and usually braid it at night, sadly I've still been known to pull but I am doing a lot better recently, thank you :D

mscm
October 6th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Good luck, dear! And yes, progresspictures is always wanted :-) I am actually doing some castor oil treatments myself and I love it so far, even though I havent seen results yet. Trichbuddies who do castor-oilings :hifive: hope I will also get to the point where I am 99% pull free as soon as possible. Super thread :)

Rio040113
October 6th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Good luck, dear! And yes, progresspictures is always wanted :-) I am actually doing some castor oil treatments myself and I love it so far, even though I havent seen results yet. Trichbuddies who do castor-oilings :hifive: hope I will also get to the point where I am 99% pull free as soon as possible. Super thread :)

Thank you :) Good luck to you too! You'll have to keep us updated on how the castor oil works for you, really hope you have some success with it :) Trichbuddies haha, I like that :P I'm sure you'll be virtually pull free really soon and then you'll be enjoying your new growth :happydance:

Misschilly
October 8th, 2013, 08:07 AM
To be proactive is always good, I will follow this thread! Good luck!

Ingrid
October 29th, 2013, 08:35 PM
My story is quite similar to yours. Long, thick hair for most of my life, stressful period for 3 years coupled with bad hair dyes and bad hair cuts... at 22 I ended up with bald patches on the sides of my head, a self-inflicted "receding" hairline and a considerable loss of overall thickness. In addition I managed to pluck out most of my eyebrows and eyelashes.

After a moment of realisation about 8 months ago, I started making an effort to reverse the damage. I've stopped using shampoo with SLS as I found it irritated my scalp and triggered bouts of pulling out hair. I also started regularly putting castor oil on my hairline and bald patches as well as daily on my eyelashes and eyebrows.

Now I've got baby hairs sprouting all over my head (the longest are about 15cm long!!) and even my eyebrows and eyelashes have fully grown in and are much fuller and thicker than ever before.

I've still got a long way to go in terms of my overall hair goals, but I think castor oil has contributed considerably to hair regrowth in my bald patches and improving strand thickness. Apart from using castor oil I would obviously recommed making sure you're following an overall healthy lifestyle and wearing your hair up as much as possible to protect it from damage and pulling.

I wish you the best of luck and I'm looking forward to following your progress!

proo
October 29th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Having a lightbulb moment -
I'm NW/SO; the amount of massage and preening that goes on with this practice
might just scratch your itch
and invigorate the heck outta your scalp.
The trick is to make pulling into preening.

MaryMarx
October 30th, 2013, 12:43 AM
I would love to see your results.
I tried castor oil maybe a year ago, due to my thin temples, but I didn't have the disciplin to keep it up.
If your pics will show progress, I'm willing to give it another try. :)
Good luck!