PDA

View Full Version : i'm delicate and I know it about my hair, but. . .

mamaherrera
October 5th, 2013, 07:27 PM
I just had my bangs trimmed, but not only did they trim them, they thinned them out, which I never said I wanted. I can live with that because at least they will grow back. But they did this thinning technique where they go down the length, vertical with the scissors and like open and close the scissors as they go down. It actually hurt, I felt like there was tons of pull/pressure on my baby hairs near my temples. Does anyone know if this actually pulls hairs out?? I try and take such good care of my hair, and then in ten minutes, they go and pull on it like that. I don't want to think they really did pull hairs out, I'm sure they do this technique on others, but it hurt. What do you all think???? Then they tried to comb through my medium coarse hair with this fine-tooth comb, comb on people, it's curly and thick what are you thinking!! Had to go off with you all, it bugs that people that are so "into" hair are so careless with it, and more it almost made me lose sleep imagining how many hairs they might have pulled out with that technique of theirs.

0xalis
October 6th, 2013, 12:02 AM
OWWW!! I hate those scissors! Uhg... never trust stylists. Those scissors are super bad for your hair :(

McFearless
October 6th, 2013, 12:23 AM
A few hairs might have been pulled out, but they will come back. Don't worry about it. :)

GG
October 6th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Agh, I hate that thing where the pull the sharp edge down the hair. I had it about 8 years ago in an abomination of a cut that resulted in a glorified mullet. I went to the $10 place the next day and had it made into a bob (and have never been near the first hairdresser again). Damage-wise, I have no idea. It doesn't feel good, that's for sure. Either way, I think it's poor form to just start doing a technique like that without warning or explanation or, Heaven forbid, asking if it's what you want!

If it was just the fringe where they did this, hopefully any possible damage would grow out very quickly.

lapushka
October 6th, 2013, 05:09 AM
Does anyone know if this actually pulls hairs out?? I try and take such good care of my hair, and then in ten minutes, they go and pull on it like that. I don't want to think they really did pull hairs out, I'm sure they do this technique on others, but it hurt. What do you all think????

When I had it done on a pixie (because otherwise it would look like a buzzed football field according to the hairdresser), yes it hurt too. She actually pulled on the shorter hairs with the scissors. After a few weeks, I had stubble in between the hairs up top where she'd done the technique. So yes, in my case she pulled hairs out. When done right, though, this is not supposed to pull hair out, I think.

CurlMonster
October 6th, 2013, 06:08 AM
I don't think the technique is supposed to pull hair out, I think it's meant to cut the hairs at all different lengths to make the cut 'softer' and thin the ends out. I think it is pretty damaging, but only to the hairs they're cutting, not up at your roots (pulling hairs out).

mamaherrera
October 6th, 2013, 08:47 PM
thanks, for sharing, at least I'm not the only one with damaged hair. I just worry about pulled out hairs, because I'm trying to thicken up my temples with castor oil and to think they pulled some out. Like you said, hopefully none, but if any, very few.

chen bao jun
October 7th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Stop them next time, it's okay. If something doesn't feel right, don't let them continue for 10 minutes.
Especially is you didn't ask for it.
Ask politely, what are you doing? What kind of scissors are those? (in fact that, ask the moment they take some strange implement out)
Get out and walk out if you have to. Politeness is not worth the misery afterwards.

spidermom
October 7th, 2013, 02:29 PM
No kidding - if you don't like what the stylist is doing - stop her or him. Stylists are not gods or kings or anybody in authority for whom you must sit quietly and take it.

My stylist did a similar technique on my bangs recently; I love it. They look very soft and kind of wispy. A heavy blunt bang does not flatter my face at all. I'm pretty stoic so didn't notice any pulling, much less pain. You'll probably be fine.

glitterbug
October 7th, 2013, 02:32 PM
No kidding - if you don't like what the stylist is doing - stop her or him. Stylists are not gods or kings or anybody in authority for whom you must sit quietly and take it.

My stylist did a similar technique on my bangs recently; I love it. They look very soft and kind of wispy. A heavy blunt bang does not flatter my face at all. I'm pretty stoic so didn't notice any pulling, much less pain. You'll probably be fine.

Great point spidermom. I learnt that its really important to speak out before its too late.

Kaelee
October 7th, 2013, 04:23 PM
I used to trim my bangs that way all the time. I find I get more splits there, but I don't worry about my bangs since they get trimmed often.

mamaherrera
October 7th, 2013, 07:49 PM
yes I just need to put this bad experience behind me and only think, if she pulled out any, it was just a few. And let it go. . . .but you know when you take such good care of something, and someone comes in like that and you're paying, it just makes you mad!