PDA

View Full Version : Forbidden Hair Pleasures

Bun15
October 5th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Any of you have/do certain things that are practically taboo in any hair care community? Blow dryers? Heat devices? Hair dye-ing? Brushing when wet?
Hmm? What's that? You do? Well good!

I believe that if it works for your hair, then it's fine. There shouldn't be people jumping all over you and your hair care methods just because they don't seem the best. When I've dyed my hair in the past, it's just so smooth and shiny. (Can anyone tell me conditioners equivalent to after-dye conditioners?)
Today actually I bought a new hair brush from the infamous Conair. An all purpose type paddle brush with very stiff ball tipped bristles. And I love it. These are the type of brushes that work for my thick hair. There is another brush that works amazing but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.
Ball tipped brushes are my guilty hair pleasure.
What are yours?

nuvola
October 5th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Haha nice thread :D
Well I brush my hair when it's wet :whistle: If I won't do that my hair is frizzy like hell when it's dry.

longhairdesired
October 5th, 2013, 07:15 PM
I never wear updos, buns, or protective styles in public. Not really at home either, except for braids occasionally now. I just let my hair be loose. After a growth spurt in the past couple weeks I'm at MBL.

Bun15
October 5th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Well I brush my hair when it's wet :whistle: If I won't do that my hair is frizzy like hell when it's dry.
I brush when wet too! High five! haha

Bun15
October 5th, 2013, 07:22 PM
I brush when wet too! High five! haha

Bun15
October 5th, 2013, 07:24 PM
I never wear updos, buns, or protective styles in public. Not really at home either, except for braids occasionally now. I just let my hair be loose. After a growth spurt in the past couple weeks I'm at MBL.
I used to do that too. But I've gotten to the habit of wearing into a ponytail all the time, not because it's better, but because I like my hair out of the way for the most part. I wear it down for sleeping, so I guess that's just as bad haha

Marbid
October 5th, 2013, 07:33 PM
hmmmmm...... I love my hair when it's straight. But I won't straighten it. Had to mention that one, because I'm always looking for an alternative method to straight hair without chemicals or heat.

I brush my hair when wet. I'm very delicate with it thou. But I still do it. I can't fathom brushing dry curls. No that would be 1,000,000 times more damaging.

I have a BBB brush I love to use on my hair. But I think I over brush my hair. (if there is such a thing) I sit here on my chair in front of my computer just watching videos and brushing my hair because I like how it makes my hair all uniform. But I seriously just sit here brushing it for hours. *however long the Grey's Anatomy marathon on netflix lasts for. It totally defeats the purpose of wearing protective hair styles. And I wear protective hairstyles for the whole purpose of avoiding the brushing.

jacqueline101
October 5th, 2013, 07:57 PM
I use my tangle teaser as a shampoo scalp brush. Scalp brushes are suppose to be bad and I like to neglect my hair. I don't comb or wash it that often. I hate getting it wet it l hate how it turns dark when wet. Ive bbb with out detangling on afew occasions.

HintOfMint
October 5th, 2013, 07:59 PM
I comb when wet as well. I find it absurd that people rail against combing wet as if it's some massive sin. If you use conditioner correctly, and it's not a horrible. completely ineffective conditioner (I'm looking at you Aveda Rosemary Mint), your hair isn't going to have matted wet tangles that will tear if you comb it. I've also found that the water helps the comb glide through.

I also love the ball-tipped brushes as well. I really need to get a new one. I had a wooden one, but I lost it a while ago. I do need to be careful with these brushes though. I can get impatient and tear through tangles when that's really not what I should be using it for. It's great for styling and scalp massages but I can't use it to detangle.

I also leave it loose, love going to the hairdresser, and use cones and sulfates like they're going out of style.

The one thing I do very rarely, and I do feel a bit guilty about, is heatstyling. That was the number one cause of damage behind the Great Chop of 2008, so I'm very cautious about it. I could try low heat, but I don't know if I trust my blowdryer to be low enough on it's "warm" setting. That being said, I'll treat myself to a blowout in a salon a few times a year, not including trims, but they're just occasional treats.

Kelli Kat
October 5th, 2013, 08:50 PM
I dye every 5 to. 6 weeks

ositarosita
October 5th, 2013, 09:49 PM
I still occasional use a flat iron and never use heat protectant (I don't know what can protect your hair from 300 degrees) and I brush my hair when it's wet.. well my SO brushes my hair when its wet, starting from the root not ends.. with a solid bamboo brush..

Glass Spires
October 5th, 2013, 09:55 PM
I brush my hair wet with a paddle ball brush.

Carrie Ingalls
October 5th, 2013, 10:03 PM
I comb my hair when it is wet (plenty of conditioner, adding more water to keep it combing smoothly). I also put my hair up pretty much soaking wet and don't usually take it down for a couple days...at which point it is often still damp in places.

Total aside, years before I found the LHC I had a ball-tipped brush and a couple of the tips came off...so I ripped the rest of the tips off and used the brush like that. I loved that brush, and it felt soo good on my scalp! Now I use a wide tooth comb, but sometimes I miss that brush, I'll have to see if I can find it. End side story.

clarixa
October 5th, 2013, 10:11 PM
I brush when wet also, but I'm trying to stop that bad habit :)

I wear my hair down quite often, but I'm trying to wear it up as much as I can stand. I'm really vain and I love showing off my hair though. :p

I also love curling my hair! It makes it so big and voluminous and wonderful! I've tried lots of heatless methods to curl but they usually just don't work for me. But I try to only curl my hair for really special occasions.

pensandpaint
October 5th, 2013, 10:44 PM
I blow-dry once a week XD

Lisa R
October 5th, 2013, 10:49 PM
I VERY occasionally blow dry, flat iron or curl!!;) I do have to confess to feeling a little guilty about using heat but it is a rare occurrence. I do it sometimes for special occasions and they don't come too frequently!!!!

Naiadryade
October 5th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Gosh, the worst thing I do really is leave my hair down too often. But all you talking about paddle brushes have me sooooo tempted to use one again! I was all but heartbroken to give them up when I joined LHC and learned they were bad for your hair... for years I loved the feeling of the ball tips or wooden tips on my scalp... I did use them to detangle, too. Now I just finger-comb.

Do you all think, if I detangled first and was just using it for scalp massage and styling, that maybe a wooden paddle brush wouldn't actually be damaging? Keep in mind I have pretty fragile hair that breaks easily from mechanical damage... I don't mean is it okay in the sense of "you like it and a little hair sin isn't the end of the world," I really mean not damaging.

Bun15
October 5th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Gosh, the worst thing I do really is leave my hair down too often. But all you talking about paddle brushes have me sooooo tempted to use one again! I was all but heartbroken to give them up when I joined LHC and learned they were bad for your hair... for years I loved the feeling of the ball tips or wooden tips on my scalp... I did use them to detangle, too. Now I just finger-comb.

Do you all think, if I detangled first and was just using it for scalp massage and styling, that maybe a wooden paddle brush wouldn't actually be damaging? Keep in mind I have pretty fragile hair that breaks easily from mechanical damage... I don't mean is it okay in the sense of "you like it and a little hair sin isn't the end of the world," I really mean not damaging.
If you were to either detangle prior (either finger-comb or regular comb) and then brush after, there really wouldn't be any damage.
I usually do not detangle before, as my paddle brush is is my main detangling tool. It also depends on your own hair, my hair does not tangle very much, so paddle brushes aren't really an issue for me. If I do have tangles I make sure to brush carefully, mostly because it hurts.
Either brush carefully after you finger comb, if your hair's that fragile.

Eve 322
October 6th, 2013, 12:37 AM
I LOVE this thread. Especially because I've been starting to feel "bad" for non-LHC-approved hair habits that happen to work for my hair.

I still use a ball-tipped paddle brush. Idgaf. My reasoning is, if the paddle brush glides through my hair, how is it damaging? If I feel it snag for a second I carefully remove the brush and untangle with a wide tooth comb. Though that is a very rare occasion....usually only when I've been in a car with the windows down or around a lot of wind.

I also wear it down ALL the time. I only do buns to show off hairsticks and only on second (or the rare third) day hair. I cannot understand how nearly everyone in this forum goes to such great lengths to grow out their hair just to never show it. It doesn't make any sense! And screw vanity, all of us longhairs have some when it when it comes to our hair. Besides showing off the length, I.just simply love feeling my hair swish around and cover my arms and back.

Two more "confessions:" I brush when wet and I flat iron once a month.

Crumpet
October 6th, 2013, 12:49 AM
I LOVE this thread. Especially because I've been starting to feel "bad" for non-LHC-approved hair habits that happen to work for my hair.

If it works for you, don't feel bad about it! Your hair is for you -- the LHC gives good tips and whatnot, but there's only so far we can go, right?

I have pretty fragile fine hair so my hair sins pale in comparison to some of those mentioned. My worst thing, which I did today, is to rush with wet hair. I tried to be gentle, but really, I ripped the comb through and yanked it up into a bun and harshly shoved a Ficcare in there. I do this probably a few times per month when I'm super-rushed for something. I try to plan around allowing hair time, but stuff happens.

Instead of feeling guilty, I remind myself that it matters more what you do most of the time than occasionally...and then I slather on extra coconut oil, which I decided washes away ALL hair sins.

Andeee
October 6th, 2013, 12:52 AM
I cannot understand how nearly everyone in this forum goes to such great lengths to grow out their hair just to never show it. It doesn't make any sense!

Well, for me, the main reason for wearing my hair up most of the time is that I couldn't do my job if my hair was down. My job is really active and physical, the hair would be in the way all the time! I do wear it down for dressed up occasions like nights out and performances.

My forbidden hair pleasure would definitely be getting it colored every 6 weeks. I'm just not ready to go grey!

I also use a wide tooth-ed comb on wet hair, but I thought that was supposed to be a good thing? Anyway these days that is only once a week (when I wash it).

Kwantslonghair
October 6th, 2013, 01:27 AM
I used to do that too. But I've gotten to the habit of wearing into a ponytail all the time, not because it's better, but because I like my hair out of the way for the most part. I wear it down for sleeping, so I guess that's just as bad haha

I do this too. I guess my good and bad balance each other out

Neneka
October 6th, 2013, 02:39 AM
Heat styling my side swept bangs. I use styling products on it too. That's propably the worst thing I do. Not really bad. :lol:

kysgrl
October 6th, 2013, 03:50 AM
I tangle teezer when wet. blow dry, bleach and color, use hot tools, tease my hair, wash every day, and pull damaged ends off. yes I still have hair. lol

eta: and I never wear my hair up.

GG
October 6th, 2013, 03:58 AM
There shouldn't be people jumping all over you and your hair care methods just because they don't seem the best.

Yes, I do have a few things (hairdryer, brush with the little ball thingos), but I don't know about 'jumping all over you'... I posted a whole topic on blowdrying and I didn't have single negative response. I think everyone was really welcoming. I just didn't get the impression that anyone thinks they are infallible enough to give others a hard time, despite their own beliefs differing.

I haven't been reading the forum for that long though, so maybe I'm missing something?

Jennielee88
October 6th, 2013, 04:17 AM
I commit the worst hair sin...

Bleach :(

I only ever bleach the regrowth every 5 weeks or so (longer if possible but my hair grows so fast and my natural colour is so dark that I look like white trash after about 3 weeks...)

Recently I've started looking after it a bit more after noticing a few snapped pieces on one side... I never brush, only wide tooth comb, and never when wet. I use my hair dryer on the cool setting. And I don't over condition because I do believe that loading my hair with deep conditioners and products is what led to my hair breaking, it was stretchy and gummy when wet and would literally come out in handfuls. Balancing with protein treatments seem to have improved it

Soltimus
October 6th, 2013, 04:52 AM
I like really tight ponytails, ha ha! Mostly I wear my hair down, though, simply because I don't like what I look like with, say, my hair in a bun. Also I love hair ties (no metal, though) and I will continually wear my hair in the same style with a hair tie in the same spot every day for days and days and days.

rock007junkie
October 6th, 2013, 07:05 AM
I use my nails when I wash my hair...just at the end of the wash to make sure that I didn't leave any build up on my scalp behind.

stinkyfeet
October 6th, 2013, 07:41 AM
I blow dry or flat iron my hair 2 times a week. My half wavy-half straight doesn't look that great, and prefer a more polished look.

Natalina
October 6th, 2013, 08:33 AM
I almost always comb my hair wet. I didn't notice much difference in terms of hair fall either. If I don't comb it while it's wet, my hair will air-dry into an uncontrollable mess, and if I comb it when it's dry, it gets frizzy and big, no thank you.

I love hair dyes! So many colors, so fast, so easy. I dyed my hair for the first time a few months ago, and then dyed it again 3 weeks after, lol! My hair's still happy, healthy and long. In-fact it grew about an inch a month after, with thicker untrimmed hemline.

I also like to let my hair down when I go out, it feels great. :)

lapushka
October 6th, 2013, 09:15 AM
My hair gets diffused-dry, on warm, and I don't see anything wrong with it. So there. ;)

Bun15
October 6th, 2013, 10:41 AM
I use my nails when I wash my hair...just at the end of the wash to make sure that I didn't leave any build up on my scalp behind.
Me too!! I have really long oval-pointed natural nails (think Rihanna's nails) and I use to get all that residue off

NuclearApple
October 6th, 2013, 11:27 AM
I use the blow dryer,i admit it,my hair is already frizzy and i cant help using it.,even though air is healtier...

Lunearia
October 6th, 2013, 11:42 AM
I almost never wear my hair up. Ever. :D

Kaya
October 6th, 2013, 11:44 AM
I'm usually pretty good to my hair, but I do have one serious weakness. I love, love, love how my hair looks when it's straightened with a flat iron. So sleek and pretty! :inlove: And I don't use any sort of protectant, other than some BioSilk afterwards. But then again, chances are, I only flat iron once or twice a year, so I think I'm ok. :D

stargazer616
October 6th, 2013, 12:01 PM
I use ball tipped brushes waaaaayyy more frequently than I should. They give me more splits but it's so much faster... and it feels so much smoother...

faellen
October 6th, 2013, 12:26 PM
I still use a hairdryer sometimes on warm/cool

I keep my straightener around for special occasions (doesn't happen often though)

I wear it down, a lot

I use sulphates

I use cones

I use bobby pins

I use hair ties and still own some with metal on them

I use my tangle teezer on wet hair, I have an aqua splash TT especially for this purpose

I play with my hair a lot

....But you know what? I ENJOY my hair and I think it looks good! So who cares?!!

livelycurls
October 6th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Brush wet hair, leave conditioner on.

stargazer616
October 6th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Oh, I straighten my bangs as well. Every day. But I trim them all the time anyway, and they look weird unstraightened.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 6th, 2013, 01:29 PM
I blow dry my hair sometimes on a warm, not hot setting. When I don't want wet hair for hours.

Stray_mind
October 7th, 2013, 07:54 AM
I brush my hair with a TT when it's wet
I use Bobby pins
I use my nails when washing my scalp
I use sulfate shampoo

PrincessIdril
October 7th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I use a BBB and nylon blend brush as my main detangler.
I comb wet hair (had no idea this was bad until I read this thread but how else am I meant to get all the shed hairs out?)
I use sulphate shampoo (Lush bars at that so they can't be diluted)
Coney leave in/curl serum/deep conditioning treatments
I wrap my hair in a normal bath towel
Frequently neglect to S&B (or trim)
Bobby pins and elastics

I probably commit more sins than that but those are the only ones I can think of right now. I think mine seem worse as most of what I do is the complete opposite of the advice regularly given to curlies.

Bagginslover
October 7th, 2013, 09:21 AM
I have bleached streaks (which I henna over), I still use heat tools for special occasions/cosplaying, I brush when wet (if I don't, I have knots that have to be cut out once its dry), I wear it down at least twice a week.

I too want to be able to show off my length, but I also know its damaging, so when its up, its protective updos, and oiled :)

Surinecet
October 8th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Yay for this thread! It has helped me realize there's not much point in growing out my hair damage-free if I dislike it every day, and that there are others that feel the same. So, last night I bought and applied a box of color and for the first time in months I love my hair. :happydance:

So. Forbidden pleasures:
I box dye my hair
I use bobby pins
I leave it down most days

clioariane
October 8th, 2013, 02:08 PM
I love a good blowout! I haven't had one in about 8 months but that's definitely my hair guilty pleasure ;)

Nadine <3
October 8th, 2013, 02:18 PM
well, ah...yesterday I trimmed about an inch or so of hair off my bangs with a scissors that wasnt meant for hair...and then I washed it when it wasn't really dirty...I just wanted it to smell nice again. To top it off I blow dryed it so my bangs would lay nicely...heh... I'm so bad.:whistle:

velorutionista
October 8th, 2013, 02:27 PM
I love a good blowout, too! I get one maybe 2-3 times a year, for special occasions. I also trim split ends I notice at work with dull dull dull scissors (figure it's probably better to trim them than let them go?)

wildkratt
October 8th, 2013, 03:55 PM
-I blow dry or straighten my hair 2-3 times a month. (Note to self-buy heat protectant for next time :eek:.)
-I sometimes leave my hair in a ponytail, even though the friction causes frizz and breakage.
-I never comb my hair (unless I'm heat styling it), or otherwise it'll become ugly and poofy.
-On purpose, I used a razor to thin out my thick ends a year ago because I wanted fairy tale ends.
-Besides S & D, I haven't trimmed my hair in two years

spirals
October 8th, 2013, 05:30 PM
--ball-tipped brush, 'cause it feels so good on my scalp; bad for 2c hair. If I want smooth waves, I use said brush on my wet hair.
--don't use conditioner
--brush my dry hair, which is bad for thick, wavy hair and causes split ends
--go out with wet hair in winter when temp is below freezing and get icicles on it
--S & D with fabric shears
--cotton pillow cases
--wash with soap and sometimes baking soda

Despite all this, my hair is in pretty good condition as long as I oil, S & D, and microtrim.

Ashflower89
October 8th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Straightening. My half waves/half curls are unpredictable and make strange shapes around my crown, and poke me in the eyes at my current length. But even when my hair has been much longer, I've been obsessed with straight hair. It's so much easier to manage, and softer, and shinier, etc etc... I just cant help it.

MidnightSunlite
October 8th, 2013, 06:36 PM
I use elastics
Comb hair when wet
Ball tipped brush
Hair almost always down when away from home
And apparently for people with thick hair its bad to brush when dry... (what?)
cotton pillow (no night cap)
Rarely trim
Use Flat iron roughly once a month before washing
use bobby pins and hair accessories
box dyed by hair for the first time ever (two days in a row.. it didn't come out first time because I have black hair)

._. I"m very bad

RainbowBowser
October 8th, 2013, 09:55 PM
I use elastics (no metal thingie at the very least...), I use heat sometimes (cool setting drier, and heat style occasionally (like, once a month)).
Ball tipped brush
Hair is pretty much always down and prone to snags and pulls
I touch my hair a LOT

clioariane
October 9th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Oh, I also definitely snap off the ends when I spy white dots. Maybe it's time for a trim ;)

Coolcombination
October 9th, 2013, 06:02 AM
I use blunt scissors, I towel dry with an ordinary towel, use ponytail holders far too much and brush when wet. But I don think brushing while wet damages hair, when I do my final condition, I finger comb the length then get out and scrunch the length with a towel while keeping the hair in the normal position.
I then wrap the towel around the length and twist it on top of my head to make a turban. This ensures that inside the turban, by hair isn't smooshed together, the length is straight.
I then run a wide tooth comb through the length when it's been in a towel for 10 minutes, a small tooth comb for parting and doing my fringe then I leave my hair to curl as it airdries.

omgitssarah
October 9th, 2013, 01:33 PM
My hair's still in pixie territory so I'm not TOO worried about being careful with it now, because it's all going to get trimmed off eventually. HOWEVER I am super bad about 'hair sins'.

I blow-dry AND flat-iron every time i wash, which is nearly daily. WITH sulfate shampoo. And today, I didn't want to wash but my hair was looking a little flat and greasy, so I SPRAYED IT WITH HAIRSPRAY, let it try, and then BRUSHED it out.

Ugh just thinking of the damage makes me cringe but I can't bring myself to care too much because it takes so much effort to look presentable that I'll take a shortcut wherever I can.

cranberrymoonz
October 9th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Many things..
- elastics(soft ones though), bobby pins occasionally.
- use tangle teezer when wet
- handle it way too much
- wearing it loose or in a tight ponytail
- sulfates sometimes (just for clarifying)
- Not cutting damage caused often enough (wouldn't have any hair left if I did(just kidding))

Not too bad.. I do cause a lot of splits by playing with my hair which I don't cut of, though.

EDIT: oh, and a cotton pillowcase, too.

mary*rose
October 9th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Jeez, bobby pins are bad????? I use those all. The. Time. I love bobby pins. If I make a mess of my hair putting it up, it's so easy just to stick a couple pins in to neaten everything up. I also use Biosilk. It just makes my hair so nice and soft :)

Quick hair story - I didn't wash my hair for a year and a half, because I thought it was a hair "sin" and I wanted my hair to be long and gorgeous like the other long hair legends on here, who also don't wash. So I just used water and vinegar, ad occasionally baking soda.

My hair didn't like that. It got super greasy on top, and I got really bad dandruff. So bad, I had a lice scare. I was embarrassed to go to the hair dresser for so long, because I knew she would tell me the same things my mom did. After a huge argument with my mom, I reluctantly started washing again and realized that my hair was clean. No dandruff, no greasies.

Conclusion - this site is a reference, not a rule book. Not all of us have time for TLC, or patience. Beauty is up to you. Haha I mean, it is called "long hair community" so of course there's gonna be a bunch of no-no's if you want really long hair. But do whatcha want, man x)

rose313
October 9th, 2013, 04:21 PM
I have always used the Conair paddle brushes, either that or I finger comb. I didn't realize the ball tipped brushes were bad. I can't use the bristled ones because they only smooth the top part of my hair and tangle the undersides, unless I'm using it to smooth it up into a ponytail.

I don't really use heat, but I've straightened a couple times. Sometimes once every couple months, sometimes once every six month. I also get my roots lightened.

caren
October 9th, 2013, 05:19 PM
I use elastics (no metal) occasionally. I wear my hair down a lot. And I am constantly touching it.

Long_hair_bear
October 9th, 2013, 06:17 PM
This may or may not count, but coney conditioners ftw! My hair gets ratty without them because my hair is damaged from years of bleaching (for purple). Its getting better. :)

Eve 322
October 11th, 2013, 01:04 AM
I have always used the Conair paddle brushes, either that or I finger comb. I didn't realize the ball tipped brushes were bad. I can't use the bristled ones because they only smooth the top part of my hair and tangle the undersides, unless I'm using it to smooth it up into a ponytail.

I totally agree! I use a ball-tipped brush because I can't make a bristle brush do anything but frizz up my hair. And a wide tooth comb is too...well....wide to do anything but detangle. It doesn't *brush*. Thinking of buying a Tangle Teezer and seeing what all the fuss is about.
Sometimes I'll read a thread and someone describes a sin that I commit and I'll be like, "Oh, come on, not this too!"

Ambystoma
October 11th, 2013, 01:31 AM
I flatiron every now and then. Heatless straightening just doesn't give me the ultra glossy untangley hair that heat does but I do it on the lowest heat setting with plenty of good quality heat protectant.

When I had long hair last time (only MBL though) I used to flatiron every 3 days on the highest heat and it was box dyed to boot, and I never saw any damage - if there was, it was only the bottom and since I trimmed every month I was probably cutting it as fast as I was hurting it. I'm keeping an eye out for damage this time around but so far it seems fine.

TheVegan6
October 14th, 2013, 05:09 PM
I comb my hair when it's a little wet. I listen for the sound of breakage, and if I hear anything, I will stop immediately. I wear my hair down sometimes. Other than that, I sold & gave away all of my hot tools, so I don't really do anything bad.

PixxieStix
October 14th, 2013, 06:47 PM
I have to wash my hair 5X a week (every day after work), and even though I'm very gentle, use sulfate free shampoo, good conditioner, always detangle by hand prior to washing, allow it to air dry prior to detangling after washing, and always put in leave in conditioner followed by a light coconut oiling on the length. I've started doing S&D more frequently with hair only scissors and it seems to be helping, just a few minutes every other day or so.

I just found the blow dryer I thought I lost and might start using that occasionally, and over the summer I did use a curling iron once every few weeks, but now that I have better heatless, overnight curling stuff I don't use the iron anymore.

Eve 322
October 14th, 2013, 07:25 PM
I flat ironed my hair for ComicCon NY this weekend. It was wonderful. :D I loved the way it felt afterward!

vindo
October 14th, 2013, 07:56 PM
I swim in chlorine and salt water with my hair down.

Naiadryade
October 14th, 2013, 08:32 PM

I don't really use heat, but I've straightened a couple times. Sometimes once every couple months, sometimes once every six month. I also get my roots lightened.

By all means keep using your paddle brush... but since you didn't realize they were "bad," allow me to inform you. Sorry for the mini-thread hijack!! And if you already knew this, please ignore me. Generally on LHC detangling with any kind of brush (other than a Tangle Teezer) is considered potentially damaging. It's recommended that we detangle using a wide-toothed comb, our fingers, or a TT. Boar bristle brushes are not for detangling--they are for smoothing the hair and spreading sebum and oils through the length of the hair after it has already been detangled.

Sorry again for the hijack... and with that, I resolve to dig through my drawers and find my old wooden paddle brush, and start USING it again (on pre-detangled hair)!

I mentioned before I wear my hair down probably too often... another sin is that when it's down, I am CONSTANTLY playing with it. I also sleep with cotton pillowcases (though I do want to get a sleep cap). And I don't switch my styles around often enough... I just really like wearing two braids, even if it means I have a bunch of shorter hairs in a vertical line along the back of my head! :rolleyes: Oh yeah, and possibly that I rarely bun my hair, and always go for braids instead. My ends don't like that.

raej
October 14th, 2013, 08:35 PM
I carefully comb my hair wet, but only after finger detangling!

Also, bobby pins. I know they're bad, but with all these little layers in my hair, I always have something sticking out that needs to be pinned! :o

Achlys
October 15th, 2013, 07:38 PM
I brush it wet, too (with a wooden brush). Well, not too wet, and I fingercomb before and in the shower.

Sometimes I like to run a ball-tipped brush over my scalp. It feels so good! But I'm too lazy to work my scalp in the shower... Or do anything about my split ends (which are many).

I wear my hair down outdoors when it's not windy pretty often lately, but it's because the weather is not too sunny anymore or too cold yet, so I'm enjoying it before winter comes. I guess I like showing it off a bit, too. :o

I use bad quality henna. My hairstick has seams. I don't fret at all about bobby pins, though. The only thing that I do worry about is that I'm not eating well.

Thankfully, my habit of obsessively brushing my hair and putting it up and then taking it down soon afterwards has disappeared.

Tini'sNewHair
October 15th, 2013, 07:48 PM
I also brush my hair when wet because if I don’t then the top of my head and all down the length of it really, turns fizzy  BUT in my defence, I’m verrrry gentle, I brush my hair BEFORE the shower and when I wash it I massage my scalp very gently and add conditioner so my hair stays as smooth as possible and I never pull on it so I think the breakage (if any) is very minimal but I still need to by a wider tooth comb :o.
I LOVE having it down for the first two days after a wash because it sits sooo nicely and I look better and feel better when my hair is down, I think that when I get to MBL or waist I will have it down even more :D (I’m at BSL now).
Im not very good at making any sort of good styles on my own hair so I have it slightly up in a slightly loose pony tail  My flexi 8 is sometimes my salvation so I try to use it a bit more from now on.
Sooo happy I confessed :D haha

noludoru
October 15th, 2013, 07:57 PM
I have a convertible.

And I let my hair get tangled and gross because I can't give up how wonderful the wind in my hair feels. It's just not the same with a cap on.

I brush it after to get the tangles out. :eek:

maegalcarwen
October 16th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I see all these people do these "bad' things for their hair, and they have the longest hair on the whole forum:D Maybe I am too good to mine:D

nobeltonya
October 16th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Daily washing :O (At least I oil regularly and condition liberally), combing wet (the only way I can..), wearing it down at Classic length (although I know I'm not the only one). :disco:

duchess67
October 16th, 2013, 01:05 PM
I dye my hair once in 4 weeks, to cover the grey roots.

MissAlida
October 16th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I use mousse twice a week. I also blow dry after my hair is about 7o% air dried. I wear my hair down all the time.

TheIronMaiden
October 16th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I still use the good old elastics with that little metal piece on them, and I wear elastics kind of all the time.

LadyCelestina
October 16th, 2013, 02:33 PM

Me too.

Not as much of a pleasure as a necessity :D Nothing holds in my hair when it is in the water,elastic buns are too heavy,sticks slip out,braids undo themselves.
Other than that,I don't know.I use products containing alcohol? And I am awful to my bangs :D

kganihanova
October 16th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I love my paddle brush for when I wear ponytails and I still use regular elastics sometimes (to tie off braids). I like to fine tooth comb my wet hair for that really sleek look. Forgive me LHCers, for I have sinned :D

vindo
October 16th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Me too.

Not as much of a pleasure as a necessity :D Nothing holds in my hair when it is in the water,elastic buns are too heavy,sticks slip out,braids undo themselves.
Other than that,I don't know.I use products containing alcohol? And I am awful to my bangs :D

I also feel that wet hair do's really tangle up the hair after some swimming. A braid will just turn into mush :lol:

bythesea
October 16th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I'm new, so until I started reading this forum I had no idea wearing your hair down all the time could be bad, and I wear my hair down everyday! :shake: I also LOVE getting my hair blow dryed and styled (only about every other month though).

duchess67
October 16th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Emi, could you please give me permission to access your website/blog forum? I shall send you an email like the way you requested. Thanks.

I also feel that wet hair do's really tangle up the hair after some swimming. A braid will just turn into mush :lol:

swords & roses
October 16th, 2013, 11:18 PM
I comb my wet hair with a cheap plastic comb that has the seams on all the teeth.
I brush out & detangle my dry hair with a hard bristled brush, the kind with plastic-tipped wire bristles. Soft bristle brushes never get my tangles out. (Though I did just learn that boar bristle brushes help distribute the oils on your hair more evenly, which is a good thing I'd never thought about before. And today, I found a brush at walmart that's a hard bristle/boar bristle combo! I splurged & spent the $6 to get it, & I loooove it!)
I use the same brush for my hair, my husband's hair (we're both at waist length), and the cat's fur. (She's a long haired cat. And she sits on the counter while I brush mine, waiting for her turn.)
I use cheap V05 shampoo & conditioner. They're cheap, at $1/bottle, last me a good long while, and seem to give me no problems.
And I sleep with it down.

Almendra
October 17th, 2013, 12:01 AM
I'm addicted to brush my hair. I do it carefully but I know it isn't a healthy habit anyway. But I can't tolerate when my hair is tangled. Now I try to brush my hair only three times a day :p

millyaulait
October 17th, 2013, 06:20 AM
I chemically dye my hair pretty often. I think that's the worst thing. In fact my roots already need colored again! :steam

vindo
October 17th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Emi, could you please give me permission to access your website/blog forum? I shall send you an email like the way you requested. Thanks.

Sure! Email is just fine :)

0xalis
October 17th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Honestly... It's hard to say! I get a lot more pleasure out of doing nice things to my hair than harmful things. I've been sleeping with it down lately but my hair's not that long and I have a satin pillowcase. One thing I can think of is that when I'm wearing my hair down or in a neat updo I do comb it with a thinner tooth comb, but it's always detangled first! :lol:

Ashflower89
October 18th, 2013, 09:22 PM
I dyed my hair for the last time April this year, and cut off as much of the dyed hair as I could stand into a pixie in May. I am determined to grow out my natural color and be much nicer to my hair. I am in the awkward ear/jaw length stage of growing out a pixie, with longer layers in front and short spots around my ears. I am cursed with the "mushroom head" look right now, and I finally broke down and did some quick straightening of my curls. It looks so much better sadly.... so right now my guilty pleasure is straightening, until I can grow out of this stage.

PixieKitten
October 19th, 2013, 05:46 AM
I brush and comb my hair while it's wet. But then I dont brush it for days to try and keep the curls and when I get round to brushing again it's all tangled! I can never decide which is better; Not brushing and having lovely curls, or brushing and having poofy hair!
I probably do the same styles too often too. My hair's too thick for most buns right now, unless I do half ups.. But that's kind of defeating the purpose of putting it up in the first place!

bunnylake
October 21st, 2013, 02:30 PM
I WASH EVERY SINGLE DAY WITH SULFATES AND SILICONES. =] I don't care what anyone says. My hair loves it. My hair is on the finer side, very oily scalp and dry ends. I have tried stretching washes, natural shampoo bars, CO, herbal washing, pretty much everything... and I ended up going back to pretty smelling chemical-laden drug store shampoo and conditioner. I spent like two years freaking out over ingredients, trying to find "the best" way to wash my hair. I think I shed due to stress over my hair! Now I just use what WORKS and I don't worry about anything else. I actually get sort of annoyed every time I see somebody refer to sulfates/cones/daily washing as some horrible sin... this method obviously works very well for some of us!

I also blow-dry on low heat or cool, but only my roots, and only sometimes. :)

PinkyCat
October 21st, 2013, 02:37 PM
Ok ready?

BLEACH!

Roots every 2 weeks..... :couch:

I bleached the length SIX TIMES IN 30 DAYS :couch:

Not horribly mangled though. (sign of the cross)

Luluko
October 22nd, 2013, 01:19 PM
Oh golly, I commit so many hair sins :<...
1. I chemically dye my hair/roots black every 5 weeks.
2. I (gently) comb my hair while it's wet! In my defence, I also comb it before washing and wash with cold water only. If I don't, it turns into a big, tangled mess when it dries.
3. I use heat twice a week. The straightener is my best friend D:.
4. I blow-dry my bangs and top layers on a medium heat setting. I let the rest of my hair air dry.
5. I usually sleep with my hair down. Luckily, I don't move much.

sagremus
October 22nd, 2013, 01:22 PM
I love when I have my hair curled with a curling iron. It' so beautiful. I only do this a few times a year. I use suflates and silicones (fine hair, and I guess reading previous posts, fine hair likes it). I am also lazy and often throw my hair in a pony tail with a hair ribbon for work.

jupiterinleo
October 22nd, 2013, 01:30 PM

Me too. Makes me feel like a mermaid. :D

cooklaezo13
October 22nd, 2013, 06:59 PM
I scratch my scalp with my finger nails.

starlamelissa
October 22nd, 2013, 07:23 PM
I dye my roots with permenant color, and wash it daily with sulphates and condition with silicones. I wear it down frequently, and I'd blow dry if I had time or energy.

Naiadryade
October 22nd, 2013, 08:11 PM
THIS!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7041&d=1382494147

Yeah, those are fall leaves I stuck in my braids. Hey, I work with kids in the woods!

bananahanna
October 22nd, 2013, 10:39 PM
i love brushing my hair when wet, that's the only way it doesn't frizz up. I loveeee straightening my hair but try to do it a few times a month at most. i constantly play with my hair (oops) and! i wash with cones and sulfates >:) but i stretch washes to twice a week.

emilia1992
October 23rd, 2013, 05:00 AM
Confession time:

-Blowdry every day. With a concentrator nozzle and a plastic Denman brush.
-Dyeing it every couple of months, several shades lighter than my natural colour.
-Wearing it down all the time, even when I have a backpack's straps grabbing at the ends.
-Heat styling with curling tongs.
-Brushing hair when wet.
-Wash hair every day...............
-...............and sometimes forget/can't be bothered to condition.

bunnylake
October 23rd, 2013, 07:13 AM
Oh, I forgot... I pretty much always wear my hair down, and occasionally I use my tangle teezer while it's still wet. :cool:

Zindell
October 26th, 2013, 01:23 AM
I (gently) brush my hair when wet with a tangle teezer.

I also pretty much always wear my hair down. That's how I prefer it. :p

Ambystoma
October 28th, 2013, 08:58 PM
I use the same brush for my hair, my husband's hair (we're both at waist length), and the cat's fur. (She's a long haired cat. And she sits on the counter while I brush mine, waiting for her turn.)

That sounds like my household! I like the wide tooth end of my comb and the cat likes the fine tooth end and since I wash it (the comb) once a week I don't mind sharing. My partner and cat both have their own grooming tools but don't like them and would rather all use my one plain little comb :laugh:

bananahanna
October 28th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Oh, I also definitely snap off the ends when I spy white dots. Maybe it's time for a trim ;)

hahaha i used to always do this, i wonder how bad it is.

nakima
October 29th, 2013, 01:10 PM
I use a wide tooth comb to detangle while really wet and I do blow dry on cool setting (just recently started trying not to that as often) and when hair is abt half dry I gently brush so it looks straighter,silkier and shinier. So I guess what I'm trying to say is guilty:o

Shibe
October 29th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Lately I've been in the habit of putting my hair up before bed, but sometimes I'm so tempted to just let it go and fall asleep.

I wrap a silk dress around my pillow on nights when I'm too lazy to do so ;)