PDA

View Full Version : Tips for getting haircut from hairdressers?

glitterbug
October 5th, 2013, 07:06 AM
I'm getting my hair trimmed soon, and I just want some tips on what to do and ask for. They will obviously wet my hair and comb it, I know that can be damaging, how can I make sure then hairdresser doesnt cause damage to my hair and is there any advice?

jacqueline101
October 5th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Purplebubba had a thread on this it was well written. It helps a lot he's a hair dresser and helped answer our questions. I'm sorry I'm not too good at this adding links but it's the one I'd recommend.

Rio040113
October 5th, 2013, 07:18 AM
If you're worried about them combing it while wet you could ask for a dry cut/trim and offer to comb it through yourself first so they won't hit any little tangles etc :)

Panth
October 5th, 2013, 10:12 AM
You could offer to comb it out yourself, or wash your hair at home immediately before and arrive with wet, detangled hair. That would avoid potential damage from ignorant or rushed stylists ripping through the hair with a comb.

Other than that, be very precise about what you want. If you mention a trim of x centimeters or inches, get the stylist to indicate how much she thinks that is against his/her comb.

Maybe bring a supportive friend or family member to sit behind you and make sure everything goes to plan as you won't be able to see what's happening.

Most of all, if you get a bad feeling about it or you think the stylist is not listening to your requests, then GET UP AND LEAVE. If the stylist starts to cut something that is obviously wrong (e.g. chin-length layers), GET UP AND LEAVE. Many people seem to get paralysed with fear, or think "oh, well, she's cut it now, so I might as well let her finish as a half-done style is worse than a wrong style". This is completely wrong. You can hide one short bit, particularly if you do updos. You can't hide a whole head of short bits...

Leeloo
October 5th, 2013, 11:07 AM
I'm getting my hair trimmed soon, and I just want some tips on what to do and ask for. They will obviously wet my hair and comb it, I know that can be damaging, how can I make sure then hairdresser doesnt cause damage to my hair and is there any advice?

If all you want is a trim, then you could try one of the self trimming methods. You'll have control over the hair cut, it's less stress and cheaper. Usually hairdressers won't even trim less then 2-3 inches either (even if you ask for 1 inch).

rose313
October 5th, 2013, 11:14 AM
I have a hairdresser who will even trim a centimeter if that's what I ask her to do. Don't be afraid to be strict about what you want. I always make sure to be polite and smile since it keeps a good relationship with the hairdresser as well. Maybe even find a hairdresser with similar hair to yours so you feel comfortable that they understand your needs.

HintOfMint
October 5th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Are you going for the full wash and then trim? Or is she just going to spritz it with a water bottle and comb it? If it's the former, if she uses conditioner and is halfway decent, you shouldn't have matted tangles to rip through and the comb should just glide down. If it's the latter, comb it beforehand to cut down on any tangles she would have to get rid of after she sprays your hair. In my opinion, combing while wet isn't the damage, it's tugging through tangles while it's wet that incurs damage. If it's just separating and smoothing strands in already tangle-free hair, then combing while wet just isn't a problem.

Worse comes to worst, if she's getting a little rough with your hair, just ask to do it yourself. Say you have a really tender head and it doesn't hurt as much as when you do it yourself.

glitterbug
October 5th, 2013, 02:29 PM
You could offer to comb it out yourself, or wash your hair at home immediately before and arrive with wet, detangled hair. That would avoid potential damage from ignorant or rushed stylists ripping through the hair with a comb.

Other than that, be very precise about what you want. If you mention a trim of x centimeters or inches, get the stylist to indicate how much she thinks that is against his/her comb.

Maybe bring a supportive friend or family member to sit behind you and make sure everything goes to plan as you won't be able to see what's happening.

Most of all, if you get a bad feeling about it or you think the stylist is not listening to your requests, then GET UP AND LEAVE. If the stylist starts to cut something that is obviously wrong (e.g. chin-length layers), GET UP AND LEAVE. Many people seem to get paralysed with fear, or think "oh, well, she's cut it now, so I might as well let her finish as a half-done style is worse than a wrong style". This is completely wrong. You can hide one short bit, particularly if you do updos. You can't hide a whole head of short bits...

thanks, I like the way you advised me of this. Very good tips!

glitterbug
October 5th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Are you going for the full wash and then trim? Or is she just going to spritz it with a water bottle and comb it? If it's the former, if she uses conditioner and is halfway decent, you shouldn't have matted tangles to rip through and the comb should just glide down. If it's the latter, comb it beforehand to cut down on any tangles she would have to get rid of after she sprays your hair. In my opinion, combing while wet isn't the damage, it's tugging through tangles while it's wet that incurs damage. If it's just separating and smoothing strands in already tangle-free hair, then combing while wet just isn't a problem.

Worse comes to worst, if she's getting a little rough with your hair, just ask to do it yourself. Say you have a really tender head and it doesn't hurt as much as when you do it yourself.
I have trimmed myself, but my hair is really poofy and thick, I need someone professional to carefully trim by sectioning so all the ends are trimmed. Thanks for tip btw!

HintOfMint
October 5th, 2013, 04:21 PM
I have trimmed myself, but my hair is really poofy and thick, I need someone professional to carefully trim by sectioning so all the ends are trimmed. Thanks for tip btw!

Oh I meant combing it yourself, not trimming. I'm the last person on earth to recommend trimming your own hair.

spidermom
October 5th, 2013, 05:22 PM
I think the most important thing is to pay attention to what the stylist is doing at all times and stop him/her if something seems wrong. For example, if you want the bottom blunt, then she/he should be combing the hair straight down. Pulling the hair out at an angle means layers. Avoid thinning; it makes short pieces stick out all over the place in my experience.

It's unbelievable how many people report they went in for a trim with blunt-cut BSL and came out with a layered chin-length bob. How can that even happen?

Good luck.

chen bao jun
October 5th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Do bring a friend.
I know they turn me around so I'm not facing the mirror and I also am not able to wear my glasses so I have gotten some unpleasant surprises.
Try to find someone who is recommended by another longhair as someone who does not feel the need to style you.
Do leave the moment they get argumentative. A lot of times the ones who are going to problematic sort of give you verbal hints before hand. "your ends are damaged' is one thing they tend to say. "i need to even you up' is another. 'whooo was the last person cut your hair, they did a terrible job' is another. I can't think of any more right now.

Temme
October 5th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Before they make any cuts, ask them to show you how much they are going to cut off with their comb.

mamaherrera
October 5th, 2013, 09:36 PM
the whole thinning thing is what got me with my bang, now I have to wait for it to grow out. And I wanted a big, thick bang to cover my white roots, and they thinned it out, AFTER I told them, I want it to give me coverage on my whites on the sides. They don't listen!

glitterbug
October 6th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I think the most important thing is to pay attention to what the stylist is doing at all times and stop him/her if something seems wrong. For example, if you want the bottom blunt, then she/he should be combing the hair straight down. Pulling the hair out at an angle means layers. Avoid thinning; it makes short pieces stick out all over the place in my experience.

It's unbelievable how many people report they went in for a trim with blunt-cut BSL and came out with a layered chin-length bob. How can that even happen?

Good luck.

Thanks, Guess I never noticed these things, I will keep this in mind!

glitterbug
October 6th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Do bring a friend.
I know they turn me around so I'm not facing the mirror and I also am not able to wear my glasses so I have gotten some unpleasant surprises.
Try to find someone who is recommended by another longhair as someone who does not feel the need to style you.
Do leave the moment they get argumentative. A lot of times the ones who are going to problematic sort of give you verbal hints before hand. "your ends are damaged' is one thing they tend to say. "i need to even you up' is another. 'whooo was the last person cut your hair, they did a terrible job' is another. I can't think of any more right now.

I really hate hairdressers, MOST of them, I have a free voucher for a haircut, so i'm going to use it!