PDA

View Full Version : How can I get these curls!!!

JessTheMess
September 4th, 2008, 09:12 AM
MegRyan (http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/collections/gallery/1008/fall-movie-preview#photo4) has awesome curls in this picture! How could I get these curls without heat styling?

Guenever
September 4th, 2008, 11:31 AM
When I was younger I had my mom make a lot of tiny, tight-ish buns in my damp hair the night before school and when we took them out in the morning I had the greatest curls like that! :D Of course we did use some hair spray and they didn't last all day like that.. but they were pretty!

I'm tempted to do that again *sigh* I love curls..

spidermom
September 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM
There are these things you can buy that look like foam-rubber tubes that you spiral your hair around. I don't know what they're called. I think you heat them up some way or another, but I am sure that is not as harmful as twirling your hair around a hot metal curling iron. I've tried the little buns mentioned above, but my curl looked nothing like your picture. Of course my hair is more than a foot longer, so maybe that's why.

NurseMama
September 4th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Ragrollers overnight. It will take a lot and it will take some glue of sort (spray, mousse, gel, et), but it is do'able.

NurseMama
September 4th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I just have to add how disappointed I am in the way that Meg Ryan looks nowadays. Those lip implants are AWFUL. Geesh, she had such a cute smile and she went and messed with it?! Crazy.

mugglemomof3
September 4th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Girl - I've been asking this question for years. Here and elsewhere. My first idol was "Grace" on Will & Grace, then the mom on "The Gilmore Girls" and lately the young singer Taylor Swift.

I've tried buns and rag rollers and rod curlers. The best results I got was with the rod curlers I bought at Sally's. I'll try to dig up the links in a minute, but I'm hoping that someone will come along here with a fool-proof method in the meantime!

Amara
September 4th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Little bendy foam things. I got mine at Claire's. They're kind of a pain - I have to be slow and careful taking them out so as not to tangle and tear. But there's no damage involved - just dampen hair, put them in, go to sleep. They're even comfy to sleep on!

Dolly
September 4th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I just recently purchased the wrap, snap, and go rollers. They are basically rag rollers with foam in the middle, and a snap on the ends. Very comfy to sleep in.....my hair is normally stick-straight......BUT those curlers are how I got the curls in my avatar. I know the pic there is kind of hard to see, but anyway, I get long loose spirals very easily with using just a little mousse.

Tapioca
September 4th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I use rag curlers and mousse on my DD5's hair when we want curls. It takes a while to do, so we only do it for special occasions.

Shanarana
September 4th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I just recently purchased the wrap, snap, and go rollers. They are basically rag rollers with foam in the middle, and a snap on the ends. Very comfy to sleep in.....my hair is normally stick-straight......BUT those curlers are how I got the curls in my avatar. I know the pic there is kind of hard to see, but anyway, I get long loose spirals very easily with using just a little mousse.

Wow, those curls are pretty impressive. Do you know the name of the rollers?

Dolly
September 4th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Wow, those curls are pretty impressive. Do you know the name of the rollers?

Conair "Wrap Snap & Go".....I got them at my local Walgreen's.....you can get them at Walgreen's online too....

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100842&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod950800#description

Dolly
September 4th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Oh, and I should mention that since my hair is difficult to curl (will not hold a curl from a perm, heat styling, or even steam rollers), in order to get it that curly, I had to wrap tiny little pieces of hair. It took 3 sets of the "wrap snap and go" rollers. It's all good though.....I love having the curly option with no damage caused. And, the curl lasted all night at the concert I was attending.

Jemoiselle
September 5th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Hi Jessthemess!

Another Jess here! I had heat free curler system when I was younger that had a bunch of long u shaped pins. You wrap your hair around the u in a figure 8 pattern, starting with your hair in the middle of the u. Gosh that sounds vague! So sorry, I'm trying here! LOL Once you have wrapped your hair in a figure 8 pattern all the way down the u, you secure the ends with a clip. The set I had came with clips. You end up sleeping with the curlers in, and when you wake up they look just like the curls she has. Let me see if I can find an online link to something similar. I know I will remember the name of those things eventually! I bet one could fashion something similar with bent knitting needles and hair clips...if I think of the name of that system I will let you know.

Jemoiselle

plainjanegirl
September 5th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Hi Jessthemess!

Another Jess here! I had heat free curler system when I was younger that had a bunch of long u shaped pins. You wrap your hair around the u in a figure 8 pattern, starting with your hair in the middle of the u. Gosh that sounds vague! So sorry, I'm trying here! LOL Once you have wrapped your hair in a figure 8 pattern all the way down the u, you secure the ends with a clip. The set I had came with clips. You end up sleeping with the curlers in, and when you wake up they look just like the curls she has. Let me see if I can find an online link to something similar. I know I will remember the name of those things eventually! I bet one could fashion something similar with bent knitting needles and hair clips...if I think of the name of that system I will let you know.

Jemoiselle

Sounds to me like perm for a day.
The u clips were pink and the clip on the purple.

Teresa9000
September 5th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Hi Jessthemess!

Jemoiselle

Sounds just like what I used when I was little! I always wanted Shirley Temple curls. If I remember right, these gave me more of a tight wave, like big crimps, but that was probably just my hair being difficult. This system works better and lasts longer than any heat styling ever has on my hair. I remember the stuff being bright colors like pink and green or teal, and the clips had holes in them I think. I don't remember the name, but if you're really interested pm me and I can call my mom. She'll probably remember. It may have been "perm for a day."

JessTheMess
September 8th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Wow thank you all for the responses. I am going to invest in some foam curlers! I remember my grandmom using some type of pink curlers in her hair when I was younger, but she had very short hair, so I didn't know if they would work as well for me. I guess it is worth experimenting!

theanti
September 12th, 2008, 11:18 AM
I've always used torn or cut pieces of cloth (usually an old towel) and twisted the hair slightly, then carefully roll the hair around the cloth, up to the scalp, then tie around to to secure. I am guessing that this method is called rag-roller like others have suggested, but not positive.