PDA

View Full Version : A question about sebum...

BowTie
October 5th, 2013, 04:50 AM
This might be stupid to ask but I've been wondering what it is supposed to look like?:p If I scratch my scalp I get this white stuff is that sebum? I don't think it's dandruff because I had it before and could clearly see it on my hair. So is that sebum?:D

Flor
October 5th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Pretty much. Mixed with some dead skin cells and product residue.

lapushka
October 5th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Sebum to me is something you have when your hair gets greasy. So: the greasiness.

BowTie
October 5th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Sebum to me is something you have when your hair gets greasy. So: the greasiness.

Well my hair looks and feels completely clean but I still got a bit of sebum?!

Kwantslonghair
October 5th, 2013, 04:59 AM
Mine just feels oily. Feels like I have oiled my hair. I work it down to my ends

Rio040113
October 5th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Well my hair looks and feels completely clean but I still got a bit of sebum?!

Could be a tiny bit of build up? I usually only get anything off my scalp when my roots are visibly greasy.

Stray_mind
October 5th, 2013, 05:02 AM
The oil that appears on your roots a few days from washing is sebum. :)

BowTie
October 5th, 2013, 05:12 AM
My hair starts to feel oily 3-4 days after wash. I also notice that I get that white stuff more then so that's why I thought it's sebum. I check my scalp daily and it looks healthy. It doesn't itch either.

Flor
October 5th, 2013, 05:52 AM
My hair starts to feel oily 3-4 days after wash. I also notice that I get that white stuff more then so that's why I thought it's sebum. I check my scalp daily and it looks healthy. It doesn't itch either.

It IS sebum on the skin as well. It doesn't just travel down the hair length, it covers skin as well as a protective layer. However what you scratch off the scalp surface is sebum mixed with sweat, product buildup and dead skin. There's nothing wrong with it, if it doesn't flake or itch.

Carolyn
October 5th, 2013, 06:20 AM
I think sebum has it's own particular smell. At least mine does. I don't find mine to be a pleasant smell but it isn't as stinky as underarm BO. The smell and how itchy my scalp tells me I really need to wash my hair ASAP. The 3rd day after washing is usually my breaking point.

Stray_mind
October 5th, 2013, 06:35 AM
I wash every 4 day and i'm thinking of stretching till every 5 days, because my scalp feels adjusted to every 4 day washing now and it doesn't get that incredibly oily look.

BowTie
October 5th, 2013, 06:41 AM
I wash my hair on Mondays and Fridays. My hair usually starts itching on Thursday night.. I wash it on Friday morning then.
I might try clarifying though