PDA

View Full Version : Hair stick question

Kwantslonghair
October 5th, 2013, 04:28 AM
I am sorry if this has been asked and answered somewhere else. I am interested in buying or making my first set of hair sticks. How to I determine how long or thick they should be and what material is best for slippery hair? Any info on hair sticks, like tips and tricks would be appreciated. Thanks much

Rio040113
October 5th, 2013, 04:39 AM
For a first stick especially, I don't think you can go far wrong with a Ketylo! I love the acrylic ones, lightweight but sturdy and very comfy :) Also they're safe to use in soaking wet hair and heavily oiled hair, as a bonus.

Flor
October 5th, 2013, 04:42 AM
With sleek hair it's more the question of a secure type of bun, stick doesn't matter. Mine's sleek too and neither one of the sticks I used ever fell out, but some buns just unravel and THEN the stick falls out. If you never tried sticks before, use a pencil. See how it looks in your hair and what length it is and whether you'd prefer shorter or longer. The length is also often a question of aesthetics. Some sticks have such lovely patterns on them, you don't want to hide them in your hair completely.

Rio040113
October 5th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Just wanted to add, as Flor said some sticks are so lovely you don't want to hide them, depending on your budget if you want something special (maybe not for every day use though?), you could check out TimberstoneTurnings on etsy. I only have 1 TT stick but I adore it. I will say that they are on the heavy side (for me anyway, YMMV), but once you see the designs and materials, it's easy to see why they carry a little bit of weight. They are stunning though, if you do want something a little more special as I said :)

Kwantslonghair
October 5th, 2013, 04:57 AM
Thank you....now I have to figure out how to make buns

Venefica
October 5th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Ok just ball your hair into a bun and stick a knitting pin or other long item through it, now there should be at least an inch of length on either side of your hair, mark that of on the knitting pin and measure it, that is how long usable length, as in length other than the decoration your hair stick should be. You can have longer usable length than that but that is the minimum.

Now hair sticks can be any material but it should not be so brittle that it breaks and should be smooth and not sharp in any way. Ketylos are great to top but they are expensive so for your first project they might be a bit costly. I suggest you go on ebay and find some thick knitting pins they are very cheap, saw them of at the length you want and then decorate them.

Kwantslonghair
October 5th, 2013, 07:07 AM
I have an artist friend who has made jewelry, handbags and other accessories for the models at New York fashion week, Dakota Fanning, Sharon Osborn and writer Charlain Harris and many others. I was thinking of having her make me a set of sticks.

Rio040113
October 5th, 2013, 07:20 AM
I have an artist friend who has made jewelry, handbags and other accessories for the models at New York fashion week, Dakota Fanning, Sharon Osborn and writer Charlain Harris and many others. I was thinking of having her make me a set of sticks.

If you do, be sure to post some pictures! :D

jacqueline101
October 5th, 2013, 09:56 AM
If you have a Walgreen near by I bought a pair of plastic sticks they are great comfortable and all. If you have a Walgreen card you pay 3.00 for them instead of 6 I think.