PDA

View Full Version : How has your hair changed with age?

donnalouise
October 5th, 2013, 01:48 AM
My mum says that after she had me her hair got coarse, frizzy, wirey, and turned grey!

Now a mum myself to a 5 year old, i can honestly say i haven't followed in her footsteps. My hair started out very frizzy and wirey / coarse but actually seems to be taming down with age. I mentioned on other posts that i'd had hair straightening treatment 12 months ago, but my new growth just doesn't seem as curly is my natural hair was before, the more it comes through the more i'm doubting my original curly hair type. I still have some curly ringlets when i lift my hair up so maybe i'm being fooled because my hair is just so heavy now... it's also better cared for which could help it feel softer,... confused, but also happy because i used to hate my hair being so frizzy / wiry.

Just curious to hear from others, how has your hair changed as you have aged? Has your hair type changed, or is your hair just different because you have a good routine now?

donnalouise
October 5th, 2013, 01:50 AM
Can't edit the post, but was going to add, i don't have a single grey hair yet, but a friend of mine has a lot of grey and she is not much older than me. If you have grey, what age did you start going grey? I used to care for an elderly woman and she had the most amazing hip length hair, very straight and silky and was snow white in colour, it was so beautiful..

Nanna
October 5th, 2013, 02:32 AM
Well, this isn't quite the same, but when I was very little I had dark red curly hair, but since the age of three it has grown nearly stick-straight and strawberry blonde. Since then it hasn't changed in 25 years, but I'm still patiently waiting for those ringlets to come back! :)

Stray_mind
October 5th, 2013, 02:46 AM
When i was a baby, my hair was straight and light brown, in my 3-4 years it was dark brown and really thick, in my 11-13 years i had an operation and afterwards my hair was really wavy, then it got lighter,thinner, straighter and now i am a blonette(under the dye), with medium thickness straight/wavy hair. One thing never changed though-my hair was allways baby fine...

wavyhair
October 5th, 2013, 02:58 AM
im nearly 50 and i havent had a single grey hair yet. i have the same amount of hair i had at 20 but its got frizzier and uncontrollable sometimes but iv always had thick very wavy hair. i have one child that has the exact same hair type as me hes a boy and got thick short wavyish hair. i use to damage mine loads with straightners and hair dye but now i dont use any of it. but when your older even 30's it takes more care and cant take as mutch damage. so only do one form of damage if its realy realy realy nessessory.

Ambystoma
October 5th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Mine started out golden blonde and fine as a kid, mostly sleek and straight but with a tendency to form ringlets at the bottom, and kept getting darker and coarser and wavier as I grew. It kept darkening all the way through my twenties (I used to dye it dark brown/black and when I was in my teens the blondette/light brown regrowth was really noticeable, but by my late twenties I could go 3 or 4 months without touching it up since my roots were so much darker). Since I've grown it out natural I've also noticed it has auburn tones and sunbleaches out to dark copper, whereas when I was young it would sunbleach to gold.

These days, I have more and more pure white hairs, and they seem quite thick and coarse compared to my M type "normal" strands - so yeah, my hair has changed a lot as I've gotten older!

Flor
October 5th, 2013, 03:29 AM
Mine's exactly the same as it's always been, except for a few grays.

Kwantslonghair
October 5th, 2013, 03:58 AM
Mine was red until I was 2, my dad didn't think I was his until it changed to very light blond. Over the years it has gradually gone darker blond and at 53 I have a few grays, mostly on crown. My texture hasn't changed much since my early teens.

Lady of Autumn
October 5th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Mine was very light blonde and very curly up to when I was seven or eight. Over the years it has darkened the dark brown and is now wavy interspersed with ringlets

goldenlady
October 5th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Mine was dark red and then got a lot blonder with age. It also seems to be getting straighter - but I think the length is starting to weigh it down.

ositarosita
October 5th, 2013, 05:51 AM
I don't know if it's true or just a hair myth... but I've heard that your hair changes texture 7 times in your life, never really cared enough or thought about it enough to look into it.

ladyfey
October 5th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Mine was white blonde as a little kid, darker by the age of 10 or so. Then in my late 20's I suppose, it started getting a lot of red tones. Still like that, with a very few grays about!

Ms. Littlefish
October 5th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Mine was a lot redder as a kid. Now it's not really red at all. It has a warmth to it and goes a bit coppery in the sun but in doors it's blonette. I demi it at the moment. Little bit darker and whole lot redder. I've used to henna but it always seems to eventually get pretty brown on me.

jacqueline101
October 5th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Mine has changed as far as color goes. I think mine has to do with age and lifestyle factors I'm darker since I started working nights. I'm not in the sun as much and the sun bleached it plus i reached the big 30. Now I'm not so sure I still work nights and I changed changed my routine no more oiling my hair has lightened a lot. If its a recent change it could be an outside factor is my point instead of age related.

stinkyfeet
October 5th, 2013, 08:32 AM
As a child, my hair was straight. When I became a teen, my hair became wavy, dry, and course. After 3 kids, my hair texture is the same. I'm 35 yo, and I have about 10% white hair that is concentrated around my hairline

restless
October 5th, 2013, 05:46 PM
My hair started off straight when I was a kid but as I hit puberty around the age of 12-13 it turned wavy and reckless. It still is, more than 10 years later. My colour hasnt changed at all though, its always been a middle brown colour with a lot of golden tints in it. I found my first grey hair when I was 25 and since then Ive found another... oh, say 50. I only counted the first 10 ;)

chen bao jun
October 5th, 2013, 06:28 PM
I'm 56. I have some grey now in the middle of the back of my head. Maybe 30-40 grey hairs? I don't know exactly. but at this point a lot of my new hairs growing in (shorter) are grey) so maybe I'll be grey soon).
Every time I or others thought there was a change to my hair, it turned out to be bad treatment causing it. My hair was curly (ringlets) until about years old. My mother said it got frizzy and fuzzy then. But she started brushing it at that age. when I stopped brushing, my hair starting making ringlets again. It is very black naturally. I thought the color was changing to reddish brown. I was using a chemical straightener at that time. As soon as I stopped using it, my hair grew back in dead black again. It is coarse hair that feels soft when it is properly moisturized. the longer I am on LHC the softer it gets. At this point, I have about 2-3 inches in some places on the ends that are dry and frizzy and wiry. I thought all my hair was like this, but it was only the damage from sulphate shampoo, washing in hot water and rough combing. I have not cut this off yet because it would be difficult to bun my hair if I did, but there's such a difference, its amazing, it seems like two different kinds of hair.
My grey is not any coarser than the rest of my hair.
I have not have any thinning yet--well maybe I have had but did not notice because my hair is so thick. It is getting even thicker after a year and three months of LHC so probably I had damage related thinning but did not notice. I would not be old enough for age related thinning though at this point. I believe that, illness aside, people who are in their 50's and 60's thin because its when they start dyeing their hair. I know my grandmother thought her hair was thinning and when she stopped dyeing, the thickness all came back. But I expect to thin somewhat in my 70's and beyond. My dad told me that his hair was definitely getting thinner then (but because it was so extraordinarily thick, it still was thicker than normal hair, so you couldn't tell).
I honestly don't know what will happen to my hair as I get older. 56 is old for this forum but its not the time of life where you have a lot of ramifications from old age yet, in most cases. It's 'young old' if you know what I mean. In the late 70's and early 80's things can change a lot for very active and health conscious people. so I may lose my hair then, or get arthitis so badly that I can't take care of it, or something, but its nothing that someone of my age needs to stress about yet (in most cases, no insensitivity intended towards those my age who have had health issues, which I know does happen in some case, and the fact that it's not common doesn't make it better if it does.)

hypersensitive
October 5th, 2013, 07:56 PM
When I hit puberty, my hair got wavy at the ends, especially the ends of my face framing hair got curly. They've straightened out completely in a year or two. I haven't lived that long but that was the only big change I can think of. I know my grandfather had sorta curly hair in his youth so that must account for it.

mamaherrera
October 5th, 2013, 08:12 PM
My hair at 33 yo is now more curly than when I was younger, especially since I left the brush behind. I think overall it's lightened a bit, but that's apart from my more golden hairs appearing and more white ones appearing. That's no fun. Since I never dyed my hair, ever, but now I henna and it's work and it makes me self-conscious a bit to do updos now with these white ones appearing, when I thought that was for 70's. My volume has gone down, but now I have tons of layers and take better care of my hair, so that has something to do with it.

Saldana
October 5th, 2013, 08:19 PM
I had a full head of black hair when I was born, then it all fell out, and the hair that came in was corn silk blonde. It got darker blonde through my childhood, and by the time I was a teenager, it was strawberry blonde. Then it got redder and darker, until it was dark reddish brown in my 30s. In my 40s, it started getting lots of white at the temples. I colored it (dark golden brown) for my 40s, and grew it to TBL. Then I cut it to shoulder length, and dyed it blonde (disastrous, by the way). I colored it brown again, but really wanted to stop coloring, so I cut up to a pixie and stopped coloring it. My hair is now almost shoulder length. My natural hair now seems...fluffier, not as slick. It also seems to have more of a body wave. Some of the white hairs are coarse, but most are fine and silky and shiny. It's still mostly dark in the back, but the temples are almost pure white. I'm actually kind of liking it, and looking forward to seeing what comes next!

Aingeal
October 5th, 2013, 08:28 PM
My hair is still very similar. It is curvier simply because I know how to care for my curls now. The only big change is my red isn't as red as it used to be, which is why I dye it. It's odd...almost like my hair color faded. Lol

DweamGoiL
October 5th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Mine was stick straight when I was really young. Then around 12, I began to develop a wave. It's still wavy and it actually gets curly depending on how I dry it and what products I use. I now have some greys around my side hairline, and I guess for good measure, on both sides.

mamaherrera
October 5th, 2013, 09:34 PM
My hair is still very similar. It is curvier simply because I know how to care for my curls now. The only big change is my red isn't as red as it used to be, which is why I dye it. It's odd...almost like my hair color faded. Lol

That's exactly kind of like mine, like it's the same color, but slightly faded! but more golden ones, maybe the next white ones????? Who knows!

0xalis
October 5th, 2013, 11:58 PM
I'm not very old yet but when I was a kid my hair was deffinately 1a/1b and now it's deffinately 1c/2a. It's also a lot shorter... *sigh*

BlazingHeart
October 6th, 2013, 12:07 AM
I was born with a dusting of orangey-red hair. It quickly shifted to a deep red that I had until I was about 18 months. Then it went to a sandy blonde with stick-straight texture, and stayed that way until I was about 10 or 11, when it started darkening. By 13, I had light chestnut hair, but it bleached out blonde very easily in the sun, so I looked like I had an expensive head of highlights, and I was beginning to get wavy - enough so that it took a very good stylist to cut my hair well. I guess I stayed that way for 4-5 years, and then got darker and stopped going so pale in the sun, so it was a 'true' medium chestnut at that point, and has stayed that color ever since. I think my hair got wavier around age 20; it's definitely wavier now at just shy of 30 than it was in my teens, but I've always used a paddlebrush, so I'm not totally certain when that change happened. Until I joined LHC, I always brushed my hair damp if it was long because then I could get it to go straight until I made it curl under just a bit at the ends. While I've never been able to make my hair curl, or even take up much in the way of braidwaves or crimping, I've always been able to make it nice and straight if I wanted. Not used-a-straightening-iron straight, but tidy.

I'll be 30 next month, and my hair is wavier than ever. I have a sprinkling of white hairs, but they're really quite hard to see. Like most people with chestnut hair, I have a lot of depth in color, from individual strands that are pale blonde to very very deep auburn, so the white hairs hide okay. Well, except for one in my crown and one near my forelock that are ALWAYS popping out to say hello. I'm so tempted to pull out that one in the front - in addition to being visible, it likes to try to poke me in the eye and wrap around the arm of my glasses.

s-a-m-a-r-k-a-n
October 6th, 2013, 12:47 AM
My hair got wavier and, unfortunately, a bit thinner. The colour didn't change, but there are some gray hairs in the temple area.

kysgrl
October 6th, 2013, 03:54 AM
mine has gotten thinner and darker

Jennielee88
October 6th, 2013, 04:12 AM
I have no idea how to post photos directly onto here but...

My hair about 5 years ago...

http://instagram.com/p/ayY45mmXBA/

Now after a few years of abuse it's kinda thin and sad looking..

http://instagram.com/p/eSY59WmXDB/

How I wish I'd never messed with my hair!

lillithnight
October 6th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Well when I was born I had a full head of straight hair that went wavy and then 2c/3a by age one. I think my has was 3c by kindergarden and deffinitly a type 4 by age 10. Its always been thick so that hasn't changed much. My maternal grandmother had extremely thick hair until death so I suspect my hair will stay just as thick when I'm older.

RedNymph
October 6th, 2013, 06:40 AM
My hair used to be really red as a kid then now it has turned into a weird pale orange color.

Juniper.
October 6th, 2013, 08:39 AM
I was born with quite dark hair which quickly fell out and grew back in dark blonde, fine and straight. It got blonder as I went into toddlerhood and was at its lightest around 4-6 y/o. From then on it gradually got darker and when I started dying it aged 13 it was an ashy blonette shade. Now in my 20s I'm growing out my natural colour for the first time since I was 13 and it's still blonette, straight and mostly fine.

summergreen
October 6th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Ive been thinking about this recently!

I had thick, heavy hair as a child and it grew like a weed. It was waist length by about age 3 and grew on to classic. My braids are like ropes in childhood pictures. It thinned out somewhat in mid-teens, but was still reasonably plentiful well into my twenties. Now it's a 2.75 pony with lots of taper and the strands, although they're the finer end of medium, are so floaty and light it's as if they're hollow inside.

It's often said that you can't thicken your hair past its maximum natural thickness - if you had thick hair as a child/teen, would that in fact be your maximum potential thickness? Do we still have the same number and size of hair follicles? :confused:

Vampyria
October 6th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Mine went through a lot of changes. As a kid I had straight (1b probably) medium thick, light to medium brown hair that became blonnete in the sun (until the age of 7 I think). Later the color got darker and when I was a teenager my hair started to get wavy and thicker. Then it got really curly, really coarse and really thick.

After puberty the curls straightened a bit and later even more. Now I'm a wavy again and my hair it's not as coarse anymore and not as thick either. When I dyed and heat styled it, it looked much wavier and with my current routine looks almost straight.

Skade
October 6th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Yes, my hair has changed with age. It has gotten darker.

HintOfMint
October 6th, 2013, 04:38 PM
I'm getting more and more of those rough, kinky, wirey hairs. They're not damage, they're just... odd.

BrownEyedBeauty
October 6th, 2013, 08:38 PM
My hair was a bit lighter when I was a child so it has gone from a medium blonde to a darker blonde which in not uncommon. As far as the thickness and texture, it seems to be the same as far as I can tell.

Silverbrumby
October 6th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Ive been thinking about this recently!

I had thick, heavy hair as a child and it grew like a weed. It was waist length by about age 3 and grew on to classic. My braids are like ropes in childhood pictures. It thinned out somewhat in mid-teens, but was still reasonably plentiful well into my twenties. Now it's a 2.75 pony with lots of taper and the strands, although they're the finer end of medium, are so floaty and light it's as if they're hollow inside.

It's often said that you can't thicken your hair past its maximum natural thickness - if you had thick hair as a child/teen, would that in fact be your maximum potential thickness? Do we still have the same number and size of hair follicles? :confused:

The peak is usually in your teens, twenties. Most women will have a reduction in hair follicles as they age. Some in terminal length because the rate of growth slows so while, n their twenties they might have grown 3/4 inch a month, now it's 1/2. How much will vary depending on genetics.

mamaherrera
October 7th, 2013, 11:44 AM
but in which decade do hair follicles start to reduce, anyone know??? Plus, I bet after our teens, our first life cycle, the longest one probably has ended, so we start shedding, whereas a child, all our hair follicles have a hair, and they stay on our head for ten years, no shed=mega hair.

Avis
October 7th, 2013, 12:05 PM
I've always had thick black hair - literally. I was born with a full head of hair that the nurses combed and parted like a little boy's from the 1950s. The picture is hilarious, but I don't have a copy.

What changed for me over time was the texture. As a child and a young teenager, my hair was mostly straight with just a few waves (1c or maybe 2a). Then when I was a sophomore, I started straightening my hair but by the time I was a senior I was sick of doing it every day and decided it would be better for my hair to stop straightening. Ironically, once I stopped straightening, I found that my natural texture changed to what it is now (2c/3a wavy, wurly).

I've also had a handful of greys - and I'm 22! I only have two on my head right now, but I've had about 6 or 7 total. I used to pluck them out of embarrassment, but now I keep them cause I think they're cool! =)

I've heard that going through puberty can change your hair texture but I've never actually researched that myself. I wonder if there's some truth to this after all.

summergreen
October 7th, 2013, 02:28 PM
The peak is usually in your teens, twenties. Most women will have a reduction in hair follicles as they age. Some in terminal length because the rate of growth slows so while, n their twenties they might have grown 3/4 inch a month, now it's 1/2. How much will vary depending on genetics.

Oh...bummer :(

0xalis
April 19th, 2020, 08:30 PM
Rather than start a new thread I'm gonna just revive this one from the dead :p

I've only recently realized how dark my hair is now!! I kept thinking my hair was still ash brown, but it turns out it's more chestnut now??

My wife was the one who actually brought this to my attention, I was complaining that the only brown close to my hair in Animal Crossing New Horizons was "too dark" but she told me "No??? That's almost exactly your hair colour?"
I was adamant that no, my hair is more yellowy-brown, the lighting inside is just weird. I went outside and took a picture, and to my amazement, my hair was actually reddish-brown! That was a few weeks ago.
Today I took some hair pictures outside since it was a beautiful day and I just washed it this morning. I decided to look back on old hair pictures from high school, lo and behold, I was right that my hair used to be VERY different!

April 17 2014 vs April 19 2020, both 100% virgin hair.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/668563929282117725/701617152867958784/Virgin_Hair_2014_vs_2020.png?width=927&height=576

My hair still looks somewhat yellowish in a lot of indoor lighting, which makes sense given most indoor lighting is yellow tinted, but it's undeniably darker either way.

silkystrandz
April 19th, 2020, 09:06 PM
Wow … that is a huge difference . Both are really beautiful …. My hair has changed over time as well not in color but texture.
Now that I am a woman of a certain age, I find a few wirey hairs now again. Thankfully henna helps keep those a bit more
smoothed down.

hennalonghair
April 19th, 2020, 10:37 PM
Yes! Now that I’m older my hair is more coarse and wirey . Plus the colour is changing. When I was a baby it was blonde . When I was a child it was dark blonde / brown . Then as I got older it started going my reddish brown naturally. Even though I no longer use henna I still get hairs that look hennaed but loads of silvers. The entire top layer is shiny silver and I love it.
It’s kind of cool.

0xalis
April 20th, 2020, 01:15 PM
I'm so excited to start getting silvers! I'm only 23 though so I've got a while :P My mom is 50something and her hair still just looks brown from a distance, though there are definitely silvers in there.
My wife on the other hand is the same age (6 months younger even) but about 1 in 200 of her hairs is silver already! Her sister was the same way, now she's only 28 and Very salt and pepper now!
Genetics are crazy!

I was born with brown hair and it's been brown all my life, but I guess the shade has changed drastically!
My dad was born with BLONDE hair, his middle name is even Cob for that reason, but it turned black! Now it's all grey and there's not much left :p
My mom was also born with lighter hair that darkened... my hair is so different from both of them! Where did I even get my hair...

Ylva
April 21st, 2020, 01:07 AM
That's a big and interesting change indeed, 0xalis!

My hair hasn't changed all that much since I was a child, but it's gotten a tad less fine, and a couple of levels darker. I don't know if there has been any change in my texture because I don't have any meaningful memories of it, nor are there any proper natural texture photos of my hair from back then.

At 26, I don't yet have any silvers. Looking at the silver-progression of my parents, I probably shouldn't expect them anytime soon. My dad has been greying steadily now in his 50s, I suppose, while my mom is only silver at her temples now at nearly 66.

Tinyponies
April 21st, 2020, 02:06 AM
Cool colour change, 0xalis :)

Mine has got finer and finer and wavier with age (nearing 40). Its changed a lot!

Bri-Chan
April 21st, 2020, 06:11 AM
I had black/very dark brown hair when I was a child, but it became lighter. In my last pics with my natural hair (at age of 13) I had about a 6.1. In 2018 I let my virgin hair grows for 11 months, because I didn't know what to do... and it looked a 6.1 as well. Now, It seems darker, maybe a 5.1. I discovered in late 2019 I had/have some health issues, and I started taking care of them, so I ask myself if the 2018's lighter hair can be a "sign" of weaker hair ... I also had a very slow growth at that time!
For the wavy, I was a "perfect" 1a when I was a child. Also, my hair looked thicker, but I don't know it I just have more hair, or I actually had F/M hair instead of just F... probably I was a 1a F/M ii with a ponytail a bit thicker then now (maybe 8.3 inches). I remember it became less straight in middle school, and now it seems the same since highschool.
It became thinner/finer (less voluminous) at age of 15, after months of a huge shed. It never came back to his old thickness.

For the silver, my parents developed silver hair in their early 40 i think, or just a little bit earlier.

Laurelin
April 21st, 2020, 07:29 PM
My hair was ''white'' blonde with some reds and golds until I was around 6 and then it turned light blonde slowly going to the golden blonde I have now but it also went from straight (around 1B) to wavy (2B) in early puberty. Although my hair is getting less wavy the more it grows (probably the weight pulling the waves down or I'm just doing something different?) but it has always been very fine/thin hair despite me having allot of hair.

Beckstar
April 21st, 2020, 08:10 PM
Can't edit the post, but was going to add, i don't have a single grey hair yet, but a friend of mine has a lot of grey and she is not much older than me. If you have grey, what age did you start going grey? I used to care for an elderly woman and she had the most amazing hip length hair, very straight and silky and was snow white in colour, it was so beautiful..

I started greying shortly after giving birth to my son when I was 21. It’s just gotten greyer and now at 45 I’m almost solid silver, grey, and white. I’ve been 3a/b no matter my age or hair color.