PDA

View Full Version : A teeny tiny henna rant - may I?

Domino
October 4th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I *knew* I would be in this situation eventually but I somehow ignored the warning sound in my head and thought I'd deal with it when the time came. Yes, I'm trying to grow out my henna. I just got a personal colour analysis and it turns out I'm much cooler toned than I thought, I was thinking I would be mostly neutral. However I always knew henna didn't really suit me, but I kept at it for 5 years. My natural mid ash brown is the *perfect* colour for me, but it'll take years for me to have it back and you all know one cannot get rid of the henna or cover over it without the orangy-ness showing through. Even if I wear my best colours now it always looks off unless I pull the hair out and away from my face. But I love wearing it down :justy:

Thanks for letting me rant and please think twice, thrice, quadruple before hennaing!

NoRush
October 4th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I'm sorry for your predicament. I've been wanting to try henna for a while but this is precisely why I haven't taken the plunge... *sigh* decisions, decisions...

Rio040113
October 4th, 2013, 03:07 PM
I'm sorry for your predicament. I've been wanting to try henna for a while but this is precisely why I haven't taken the plunge... *sigh* decisions, decisions...

I second this, I love love love the look of henna on others and I (usually) read such good things about it on here but I cannot for the life of me imagine how it'd look on me, if it would suit me, etc etc, sigh. I'm not quite brave enough to take the plunge with a temporary dye, let alone henna... maybe on day...

WilfredAllen
October 4th, 2013, 03:29 PM
maybe you could use a purple toner to try to neutralize it?

I almost henindigoed a year ago and I'm so glad I didnt!

Domino
October 4th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Well, I can certainly say "don't do it unless you KNOW that orangy red will suit you" :) The temporary dyes are a good way to try it out, I wish I had done that. But then again I'm almost sure I would henna anyway because I thought being a redhead would suit me. A few people have actually mistaken me for a natural redhead, auburn really, but it looks so off IMO.
Right now I'm toning it a bit down with blue toners, but it can only take the orange into the almost golden territory, any more and it looks like "blue over gold".

Hairitic
October 5th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Well, I am a Summer with natural Ash Brown hair and Blue eyes that have flecks of yellow/gold that make them look green sometimes. My skin tone is light-med with no discernible blue/pink undertone. I've always worn summer/winter colors by choice and still do. I've Hennaed with Red Raj and do roots only or occasionally a strong gloss. I don't find the Henna color "wrong" on me. I suspect it has to do with my "neutral skin tone as well as that bit of yellow/gold in my eyes. My maternal Grandmother was a natural Strawberry Blond so I may have her skin tone? Anyway, I will continue to Henna for the great conditioning benefits and grey coverage. The day I decide it's too much work, I'll see what my options are for growing it out.

BlazingHeart
October 6th, 2013, 12:24 AM
I'd probably henna if it weren't for the time/effort investment in keeping roots covered with any kind of color treatment. I know it'd work for me, because I am a Spring in a family full of Autumns; we have the same slightly flushed skintone, but I have chestnut hair to their orangey-red.

Ah well, my favorite colors wouldn't look good on me if I made the change. My mom and sister can't wear the jewel tones and brights that really shine on me, and I'm not a big fan of the olives and golds and russets that look best on them. The closest I ever come is a red with a hint of orange in it, and one olivey dress that looks good on me (but would look better if my hair was redder). Of course, on the other hand, if I went all the way to a deep auburn (which is what I'd want to do), I suppose I might be able to still carry off my favorite colors. My hands and shoulders just wouldn't appreciate the work of applying the henna at ALL, nor would the cost be good on my very thin wallet.

woolyleprechaun
October 6th, 2013, 01:27 AM
How does everyone even know what their 'seasons' are?!
Anyhow, I'm sorry you want rid of your henna. There's some great ideas around here for disguising the grow out :) good luck!

Domino
October 6th, 2013, 05:32 AM
You can check out some blogs about "seasonal" color analysis or some websites to figure it out on your own, or you can get an analysis done by a pro. My favorite is the "truth is beauty" website, very helpful in figuring out your colors. But it is not an exact science, obviously. I am a true summer flowing into true winter since I have a tiny bit more contrast than the regular summer but some winter colors are overpowering on me.

And you can also check out pinterest boards for combinations, outfit ideas, makeup colors etc. in your season when you figure it out. I'm having a great time playing with colors lately.

Viola88
October 6th, 2013, 05:55 AM
I understand what you are going through :) I too am growing out full henna. I started earlier this year. I can't have a strong demarcation line with my job (plus, I hate they way they look). I am doing roots only and slowly changing the concentration of my henna cassia mix. My plan is to end up doing 25/75 henna cassia. I started the switch with 75/25 henna cassia. I am now at 50/50 mix. I love the gradual fade of bright red to more toned down red of the henna cassia mix.

Domino
October 6th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Viola, I actually did a similar thing to get rid of the demarcation line. First I grew out the roots for 1.5 inches and had the whole thing dyed with ash brown. Of course the ashiness faded, and the hair without henna was slightly warmer. So I've got about 25 inches of henna, 2 inches of dye, 1.5 inch of natural right now and the colour gradation is so slight that it doesn't even look like I have roots.
Doesn't stop me from wanting my natural colour all over though.

Bagginslover
October 7th, 2013, 02:10 AM
I honestly don't care in the henna colour suits me or not, I've wanted to be a red head since I was old enough to express a preference, and now I've found a way to be without killing my hair and/or it washing out in a week, I'm carrying right on doing it! ;) It makes me happy, and I don't have to see myself unless I choose to, I've never been worried what others thought, so I'm keeping it! :)

Rosetta
October 7th, 2013, 02:50 AM
^ Love your post, Bagginslover :)

Honestly, I think people are buying a little bit too much on these seasonal colour analyses - they are just a beauty industry tool anyway... I've also bought into them in the past, but have come to the conclusion they are more confusing than helpful. (This issue has also recently been discussed in the "skin tone henna disasters" thread on the henna & herbal haircare subforum, for anyone interested.)

Domino, the way I read your first post, it sounds like you too were quite happy with your henna until you had this seasonal colour analysis...? (But I'm sorry if I read it wrong.)

Domino
October 7th, 2013, 05:13 AM
I could've written your post a year ago, Bagginslover :) Since then I got tired of the ashy roots looking like I'm balding, henna-ing every month, hiding under a hat for 3 days till it calmed down a bit, every family member complaining about the smell...I've kept at it until I got my graduation pictures taken, then stopped hennaing and my scalp has never been happier. No itchies! So I've been wanting to grow it out for more than a year now. I'm so over the color now that I've had it for 5 years.

Bagginslover
October 7th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Thats totally different then, if you want rid of it because you have fallen out of love with it, I'm fully behind that. But if you'd been push towards it by others, then I couldn't support it (not that you need my say-so of course ;) just as I don't need anyone elses).

We all have to be happy with ourselves, and if a change is what it takes, then change, but only for yourself, never someone else :)

Theobroma
October 7th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Domino, you might like to have a look at this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=85463) where people report being able to remove henna with Color Oops?

Domino
October 7th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Theobroma, thanks for the link. I've considered that option before, however Color Oops or Color B4 are not available in my country and cosmetics bought online are not allowed through the customs. Ridiculous, I know. I feel like I'm stuck with this color for 3, possibly 4 years since my hair grows a bit below average, till I can have BSL virgin hair. I probably am stuck with it though :)

Stray_mind
October 7th, 2013, 06:45 AM
I'm growing my henna out aswell. I figured my natural colour suits me the best.

breezefaerie
October 7th, 2013, 08:02 AM
It took me about two years to grow out my henna. I stayed between apl and bsl, trimming away the henna slowly. It CAN be done, it's just not a fun process. Now I have a tiny bit left on my ends - not enough to worry about.
I decided to stop hennaing as I wanted to let my gray come in naturally. I was afraid to be one of those little old ladies with the obviously dyed hair.

Domino
October 7th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Wow, 2 years! I couldn't be happier if I could grow it out in 2 years...I can live with hennaed ends as long as they are away from my face.

breezefaerie
October 7th, 2013, 09:50 AM
You can do it! Updos make it all the easier.