PDA

View Full Version : Questions about gentle handling

alinakathryn
September 4th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I have read the article about gently handling your hair. My hair is short, more or less chin length.

Why is putting hair up considered gentle handling?
Is putting it up when it gets long (past bra strap length seems super long to me right now) more for convenience?

Would it be helpful to try to put my hair up to prevent damage? If so what kind of updo's would work? Right now the only ones I can think of are french braids.

What is bunning (I was thinking it was just putting it in a bun) and why is it done? I've heard it referred to in routines of hair care.

Mods, If this is in the wrong place, please move to the correct location.

Thanks everyone
Sarah

Nes
September 4th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Putting hair up prevents breakage because it minimises the everyday wear and tear that can occur on loose hair.

When worn loose, everything causes damage to hair (the wind, your hands, chair backs, even the friction of the hairs against each other)

Wearing hair up protects against this breakage to a certain extent.

However, depending on what method you use, I think wearing it up can do more harm than good.

Tying hair too tightly, or with anything that tugs/stretches/catches the hair (think elastic bands and metal clasps) will most certainly damage it.

As far as I know, bunning your hair is just putting it in a bun. There are many different types of buns, and different hair tools used to secure them. This is done either because it looks attractive, to prevent damage, or when doing a deep conditioning treatment for example, to keep the hair out the way and keep the heat in while the conditioner is working.

I think some people with BSL hair put it up because they like it, and some for convenience. My hair is past waist and I wear it down 90% of the time (I only wear it up when cooking for example to prevent setting it on fire!!)

I think wearing your hair up sometimes to prevent damage would be a good idea, but certainly not a necessity.

I would suggest wearing it up in any situation where it will be particularly vunerable (in strong wind for example)

I'm sorry to say I don't know any up-do's for your hair length, i've had waist length hair for years. Hopefully someone else will be able to help with this?

Nes x

kunibob
September 4th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Hi, alinakathyin! A kind community member linked me to this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) article about hair damage, written by Nightshade. I found it really helpful, so hopefully you will, too! It may answer a few of your questions about gently handling hair.

florenonite
September 4th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I agree with Nes about why putting hair up is gentle handling. At your length you might not find it necessary to put it up; however, as it gets longer you may find that it gets caught in coat collars, purse straps, etc., and that's when putting it up becomes beneficial.

ladyshannonanne
September 4th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I wear my hair up because it prevents tangles and I very rarely brush my hair. When I say vary rarely, I mean it's been about six months. I'm a wavy, so brushing does lots of unnecessary damage. When I wear my hair up, it doesn't tangle and there's no need to brush it.

Arctic
September 4th, 2008, 02:04 PM
When my hair was bob-length, I used small claw clips all the time. I don't like having hair on my face so I clipped it back when I got home. I was also able to make mini buns with small claw clips.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, is damp bunning, it's very beneficial for moisturizing hair. It allows the length and ends to absorb much more moisture than if the hair would dry loose.

amiaow
September 5th, 2008, 03:38 AM
You might try the thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11181) for a list of styles as a starting point. You can search the board for instructions or google them. There are so many things to try! :)

carolineb
September 5th, 2008, 04:17 AM
I almost always wear my hair up at work, i usually have a chinese bun or any other kind of bun with a stick but to be true, at the end of the day, i sometimes get a serious headache because of the weight of my hair maybe and i guess that is not "gentle handling"...
Today, i just braided, i have a herringbone braid, and i feel comfortable with that, the hair is secured, it won't tangle, it is not on the way at all and i think that is what is meant by saying that putting your hair up is gentle handling

Arctic_Mama
September 5th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I wear it up mainly to keep it out of the way and prevent environmental damage. I have little hands grabbing at my hair, too, and they like to SNAG it (darn baby hands!).

Especially with fall here and winter coming if you live in a climate that is very wet, windy, or dry cold you will benefit from keeping it up. It gets to -15F regularly here (not counting windchill) so my hair would FREEZERBURN without a scarf covering and being up. The crazy wind gusts from hi to low pressure changes also necessitate covering.

At this point I think clipping it back gently if the weather's crazy or wearing silk scarves or loose hats is to your benefit, but it depends largely on your routine day, your hair type, where you are...

I think provided the hair isn't strained or harshly pulled it almost always benefits from a good updo in winter :)

alinakathryn
September 5th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Woah what a difference! I braided what I could of my hair last night before bed. I usually wash and have damp hair by bedtime. Its not nearly so frizzy as it normally is in the mornings and its almost *gasp* smooth!!! Woo hoo

alinakathryn
September 5th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I wear it up mainly to keep it out of the way and prevent environmental damage. I have little hands grabbing at my hair, too, and they like to SNAG it (darn baby hands!).

Especially with fall here and winter coming if you live in a climate that is very wet, windy, or dry cold you will benefit from keeping it up. It gets to -15F regularly here (not counting windchill) so my hair would FREEZERBURN without a scarf covering and being up. The crazy wind gusts from hi to low pressure changes also necessitate covering.

At this point I think clipping it back gently if the weather's crazy or wearing silk scarves or loose hats is to your benefit, but it depends largely on your routine day, your hair type, where you are...

I think provided the hair isn't strained or harshly pulled it almost always benefits from a good updo in winter :)

Well, my hair type, used to be straight, now every so slightly wavy, individual hairs are very very fine, but I have lots of it for such fine hair. I'm in Georgia, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't get that cold here, but I can now see the benefits of an updo. Especially after last night's experiment. Now I just have to wait for my hair to be long enough to do something with it. I guess for a while I'll be practicing my French braiding. Its the only thing I can think of to do to my hair right now since its so short.

Tressie
September 5th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Woah what a difference! I braided what I could of my hair last night before bed. I usually wash and have damp hair by bedtime. Its not nearly so frizzy as it normally is in the mornings and its almost *gasp* smooth!!! Woo hoo
Glad that worked for you! I'm still learning too, and it's amazing what a difference a little change in hair routine can make!

Lady Godiva
September 6th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Updos aren't that necessary until your hair reaches a length where it's starting to get into a lot of things. At chin length, you probably don't have to worry about updos much. Maybe a barrette or two might keep it out of your eyes while driving or using a chainsaw, though, but that's talking about a different kind of protection. :wink: