PDA

View Full Version : Does heat only damage ends?

glitterbug
October 4th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Heya!

I wanted to know if heat from hot tools and dryers, only damage ends of hair and not all the hair strand? For example, If you cut the damage off the ends, then your hair will be good as before damage was caused, because the damaged ends have been cut off? Is this correct? I am not talking in terms of hair bleach and hair dyes because thats a different matter.

Thanks!

donnalouise
October 4th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Heat is going to affect the full length of hair that it is used on, it just appears more obvious at the ends as they are exposed and have been through more lifetime damage as it's older (hair at the bottom could be 5 years old whilst the hair at the top only 1 year old - 5 year old hair has probably been subject to more applications of heat / dye / life / washing / whatever). If you cut off damaged ends then the 'new' ends will soon enough show the damage also. Best thing is to use heat carefully, if at all, and only when necessary.

melusine963
October 4th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Sadly, heat affects the entire strand. You might notice the damage appear on the ends first, because the ends will generally already be more damaged and fragile. I completely wrecked my waist length hair with heat styling and had to spend the next three or four years trimming off the damage before I could reasonably grow longer.

It's best to resist the temptation.

fairview
October 4th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I think of hair durability as a type of continuum. At one end is silk and the other is denim. Silk is typically of European descent, it is fine to medium in diameter. Denim is best represents by India hair types. It goes from medium to thick in diameter. Volume has nothing to do with it. Hair with silken qualities is going to show damage very quickly even with the proper use of heat tools and heat protector while hair with denim qualities could be put on an old school ironing board and pressed straight with an iron and looked unfazed. Damage is combination of many factors from environmental to the type of water that comes out of the tap. Very few people and even professionals use heat tools the right way. First very few use a good quality heat protector or use the right one. Heat protectors for blow dryers are water based while protectors for dry applications are aerosol since applying a smoothing/curling iron on wet hair is really bad. Secondly, how many times have you fired up one of those smoothing irons and actually checked the heat. You don't need anything fancy, just one ply of toilet paper placed into between the tool surfaces and left there for about 5 seconds. If it comes out crispy or worse yet scorched, it is too hot. The thermostats on these things probably cost about 25 cents if that (A 25 cent o-ring destroyed a space shuttle) and people trust them until the hair starts smoking. If you're hair is like silk, use heat protector, lowest heat setting possible to obtain the results and protect it from the environment. If it is more like denim there is less to worry about.

glitterbug
October 4th, 2013, 10:05 AM
I think of hair durability as a type of continuum. At one end is silk and the other is denim. Silk is typically of European descent, it is fine to medium in diameter. Denim is best represents by India hair types. It goes from medium to thick in diameter. Volume has nothing to do with it. Hair with silken qualities is going to show damage very quickly even with the proper use of heat tools and heat protector while hair with denim qualities could be put on an old school ironing board and pressed straight with an iron and looked unfazed. Damage is combination of many factors from environmental to the type of water that comes out of the tap. Very few people and even professionals use heat tools the right way. First very few use a good quality heat protector or use the right one. Heat protectors for blow dryers are water based while protectors for dry applications are aerosol since applying a smoothing/curling iron on wet hair is really bad. Secondly, how many times have you fired up one of those smoothing irons and actually checked the heat. You don't need anything fancy, just one ply of toilet paper placed into between the tool surfaces and left there for about 5 seconds. If it comes out crispy or worse yet scorched, it is too hot. The thermostats on these things probably cost about 25 cents if that (A 25 cent o-ring destroyed a space shuttle) and people trust them until the hair starts smoking. If you're hair is like silk, use heat protector, lowest heat setting possible to obtain the results and protect it from the environment. If it is more like denim there is less to worry about.

Quite interesting reply! I will keep this is mind, thanks!