PDA

View Full Version : Scrunchies are Back?

Artisticat
October 3rd, 2013, 10:38 PM
Or have they never left...:cool:
Missoni, Marc Jacobs among other designers are getting their scrunchie on! Read more here...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2442542/Designer-scrunchie-Missoni-promises-luxury-accessory-wont-snag-hair.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/03/article-2442542-187EFF5300000578-827_306x440.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/03/article-2442542-187F04AA00000578-493_306x440.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/03/article-2442542-187F26F100000578-553_306x656.jpg

Glass Spires
October 3rd, 2013, 10:50 PM
Those scrunchies are lovely. I have one I've been itching to wear, but since I only wear my hair in buns and braids now (and can barely bear a ponytail!) I have some trouble actually getting to wear it. Anyone got a way to wear a scrunchie with a bun?
Gotta say, as cute as the scrunchies are, the pants are a bit... odd. Designers come up with the weirdest things.:ponder:

chen bao jun
October 3rd, 2013, 10:55 PM
in my world, scrunchies never went away
When you have really thick hair like I do, you give up thinking about styles and stay with anything that works
Someone will wear those pants just because all their friends will know they spent a bundle.
The days when designers tried to make women look elegant (and did clothes that worked with women's bodies when they were over the age of 15) are long, long gone...

Cherry*Tree
October 3rd, 2013, 11:46 PM
I love scrunchies, especially big purple ones.

CurlyCap
October 4th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Count me as another "Scrunchies never left."

I have literally dozens.

jacqueline101
October 4th, 2013, 02:28 AM
I have tons of them. I'm glad for once I'll be fashionably forward.

Andeee
October 4th, 2013, 02:30 AM
Ha ha! Nothing says the 90s more than a scrunchie!

ositarosita
October 4th, 2013, 02:31 AM
I love scrunchies ... I remember my mom used to have dozens of them (pink and purple) satin and silk for when she did my hair was I really young ... They never left the trick is just finding a modern print

Kwantslonghair
October 4th, 2013, 05:35 AM
in my world, scrunchies never went away
When you have really thick hair like I do, you give up thinking about styles and stay with anything that works
Someone will wear those pants just because all their friends will know they spent a bundle.
The days when designers tried to make women look elegant (and did clothes that worked with women's bodies when they were over the age of 15) are long, long gone...

Those fancy designers don't really design for them to be worn it's more for the "art". One of my best friends designs jewelry and other accessories for the models at New York fashion week.

Nae
October 4th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Well, I am certainly not going to be spending $95 on a scrunchie. I like the crocheted one but I could make it myself for a little bit of hassle (because I hate crocheting) and probably 5 bucks worth of yarn.

Venefica
October 4th, 2013, 07:04 AM
I have worn scrunchies all along, they work very well for my thick hair, they look good and is not damaging, also they are cheap, if I have a bit of leftover yarn or fabric I can make one, and if I make clothing I can have a matching scrunchie. I often wear them at the end of braids or I make them pretty big and wear them around a bun to decorate it.

chen bao jun
October 4th, 2013, 07:08 AM
You can make a scrunchie even if you can't sew a straight seam, the elastic you put in there that pulls it together makes that not matter. Really, really easy to sew, even easier than crocheting (which is also pretty easy)$95--not unless they were solid gold...

Aingeal
October 4th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Yay for scrunchies!

Venefica
October 4th, 2013, 07:38 AM
We should have a scrunchie picture thread, we have a picture thread for about everything else so why not?

Becky9679
October 4th, 2013, 07:44 AM
I had a tortoiseshell scrunchie that I practically lived in all through my teens, I can't even remember why I got rid of it because I really loved it, it was so comfortable and seemed to be indestructible! I've yet to find another that was anywhere near as good as that one.

Rio040113
October 4th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Woo! I just got 2 new ones the other day, must say though mine were just a bit cheaper than those ;)

Neneka
October 4th, 2013, 09:43 AM
I think I am going to make some. :) I am going to sew some new clothes and I could make scrunchies to match them.

Arciela
October 4th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Nice! :) I've been wearing mine for a while now, they are the only thing I can use on my thick hair that doesn't hurt!

AmyBeth
October 4th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Comfort and practicality are never out of style, in my book. I never stopped wearing them and I promise, I never will. I admit, I will wear more sophisticated hairwear when I feel the need to dress up a little (thank you, Senzalimiti!).

Paranda Belle
October 4th, 2013, 02:27 PM
I lived in scrunchies from when I was little until 2003. Wore 7 of them in a length along my hair with a space inbetween each one. Still have them in a large jar. The only use for them now is as an occasional bun base, to hold hair together when swimming, or to hold hair together when doing an smt or other messy treatment. Odd how I now reach for a stick.

gingerclip
October 4th, 2013, 02:34 PM
I lived in scrunchies from when I was little until 2003. Wore 7 of them in a length along my hair with a space inbetween each one. Still have them in a large jar. The only use for them now is as an occasional bun base, to hold hair together when swimming, or to hold hair together when doing an smt or other messy treatment. Odd how I now reach for a stick.

I have a ton of them in a jar too. Must be The Way to store them. ;)

I only wear mine around the house, but I do love them. Sadly my hair is too long to wear them in my preferred methods, so they're not getting as much use anymore.

Venefica
October 5th, 2013, 08:03 AM
I use scrunchies to hold braids other than that I use them for decorations as my hair is to long to wear in a ponytail usually. I have this big owl basket for scrunchies, hair ties, barettes and all of those kind of hair toys. I have had that basket since I was a little girl when I used it to store crayons and the like in.

Viola88
October 5th, 2013, 09:58 AM
I'm glad they work for you all. I have straight thin hair and they look awful in my hair so I'll pass on the $95 scrunchie :D

Venefica
October 5th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Perhaps you can try smaller scrunchies? I had some really small ones growing up that I used for accent braids and the like but they where very pretty, perhaps something like that would work for you?

Babyfine
October 5th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Scrunchies never left for me, either. I feel they bulk up my thin ponytails-plus I have a couple of silk ones that are fairly non-damaging.

Magdalene
October 6th, 2013, 01:03 PM
I sleep in a scrunchie bun every night.

faellen
October 6th, 2013, 01:18 PM
I used to love scrunchies back in the 90's when I was at school but I'll be honest, I wouldn't wear them now, haha

Babzilla
October 6th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Oh no! I'm not a fan. I guess because I got scrunched out in the mid 90's!

emilylightning
October 6th, 2013, 02:43 PM
I never cared that scrunchies were out of style, as soon as I started growing my hair back out scrunchies have been all that I use! I love satin scrunchies, it's a shame I only have 2. I used to have 3 but I lost my brown one :(((

Sarahlabyrinth
October 6th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I have always loved scrunchies though I only have two. I wear them around a bun for decoration sometimes. I like the way they make my 'do look bigger.

BrightEyes
October 6th, 2013, 02:53 PM
I wear scrunchies sometimes when I am home. They are super comfy.

MoominPaige
October 9th, 2013, 09:28 AM
I never cared that scrunchies were out of style, as soon as I started growing my hair back out scrunchies have been all that I use! I love satin scrunchies, it's a shame I only have 2. I used to have 3 but I lost my brown one :(((

How do you style your hair using your scrunchies? I normally do a ponytail or a bun but I'm still scared they might cause damage as my hair is very delicate :/

Darkhorse1
October 9th, 2013, 10:05 AM
I love my scrunchies. I use them to make buns and they are the best for not snagging hair. I will always use scrunchies---if people hate them, fine for me---I can have them all! I've begun making my own and it's loads of fun! :D

muddblood21
October 9th, 2013, 10:21 AM
While I don't always sport the scrunchie, I have learned to love them again after a long break up. This post made me happy dance, bc I have been fighting going back to them even though they are soooo much more comfortable and they don't pull and/or break my hair I am working so hard for. They even hold my hair better than the other more damaging hair ties without the headache. I am all for bring back these guys! Lets make them all the rage again! :cool:

YamaMaya
October 9th, 2013, 01:27 PM
That looks so easy to make myself, I wonder if I can find some of that lacy yarn in Hobbycraft...