PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used chemical dye and

Ms Kitty
March 18th, 2008, 05:22 PM
then hennaed?

akurah
March 18th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I have. If you use BAQ henna it won't ruin your hair, but do a strand test to make sure you can live with the color.

MeMyselfandI
March 18th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Yes I have.

I used Body Art Quality henna (BAQ), the same henna that is used for skin.

Do a strand test, with hair from your hair brush/comb.

Depending on the type of chemical dye, some people may run into problems with bleaching or lighting etc. Not all chemcial dyes are created the same. You need to know all chemical dyes that have ever been put in your hair that has not been cut off.

prosperina
March 18th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Yup. It turned out fine. However, strand test.

manderly
March 18th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Yup.

Chemical dye.
Stripped dye.
Henna/Cassia/Amla
Chemical dye again.

Hair=just fine and dandy.

This is BAQ henna and I did hairball tests prior to make sure I didn't turn my hair frogbutt green though.

tiny_teesha
March 18th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I did, but i did a strand (hair ball) test and use BAQ henna only.

Nightshade
March 18th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Me!

Just be sure you strand test! And also know that as the hair dye fades out of your hair and the henna doesn't, your color will shift a bit.

Ms Kitty
March 18th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks everyone, I use textures and tones by Clairol. By the way can I do this in one day?

AmandaPanda
March 18th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Yes, you can henna in one day.

I have dyed then henna'd, then highlighted, and then dyed again... I made sure I did a strand test before hennaing over dye and before dyeing over henna

RedHeadDancer
March 18th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Yep, I also did a strand test, then used Body Art Quality henna. It turned out great. I have colored my hair for years. If you use BAQ henna, it doesn't seem to matter what chemicals you have used. Its when you use henna that is cut with other stuff that you run into trouble. I even used a haircolor to see if I could lighten the red (after 4 years of henna) and it did to an extent. But the loss of shine and smoothness wasn't worth it. The color faded and I used henna right away. The shine is back and I'm working on the smooooth. :grnbiggri

MeMyselfandI
March 19th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Me!

Just be sure you strand test! And also know that as the hair dye fades out of your hair and the henna doesn't, your color will shift a bit.

I never thought that the old dye will fade out once the henna is applied. Actually, I never thought of the chemical dyes as fading since they just got sucked into my fine hair.

I sure hope the old chemical dyes fade. By then I will have a nice saturation of henna.

SimplyLonghair
March 19th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I used henna after dye and it was fine, in fact it was what helped bring my hair back from the brink. I love henna but I am working on tweaking my haircare routine as everything that I was doing I can no longer do because they changed formulas on me and I am now allergic to their products. I am in the process of working on a completely natural hair care from household items. Going green isn't an option for me but a necessity.

almudena
March 19th, 2008, 02:17 AM
I've hennaed on chemical day whithin a week with no problems, but always using BAQ henna. And yes, chemical dye does fade, henna no.

In fact, about a month ago and after 8 months of henna, a I did a touch up roots with a very expensive semipermanent salon chemical dye. It faded on my whites whithin two weeks. Henna worths the effort and time, but it is a permanent compromise.

Jadetive
March 19th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Yup I did too. I used chemical dye repeatedly over a period of about 6 months then switched to henna from then on, haven't gone back to chemical dye since. No damage to hair but I'm guessing that you would need BAQ henna and a strand test to be (more or less) sure.

Nightshade
March 19th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I never thought that the old dye will fade out once the henna is applied. Actually, I never thought of the chemical dyes as fading since they just got sucked into my fine hair.

I sure hope the old chemical dyes fade. By then I will have a nice saturation of henna.

They do, in time. I can tell that the ends of my hair changed color as the dye faded, but they also absorbed henna differently because of the greater porosity caused by the dyes. So it all blends, but if I put my dyed ends up against the henna-only hair, you can tell. There's also a texture difference, the dyed hair looking more like plastic doll's hair, and the hennaed hair being sleek and smooth.

EvilPigeon
March 19th, 2008, 01:57 PM
My sister has. She first henna'd over chemical dye and continued to henna for awhile. But she ended up using chemical dye over the henna for awhile and switched back to henna again and has been using it ever since. What I'm trying to say is, her hair turned out perfectly fine both times. As long as you're using body-art-quality henna,you should be fine. :)

MadHatter
March 19th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I have. No problems with it either.