PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell if you're imagining your hair growth?

Deloria87
October 3rd, 2013, 05:22 AM
This may sound stupid...I'm aware! Everyday I brush my hair I think 'oh that's grown since I had to cut it all off after I stupidly bleached my hair too much' then I look at my roots and there's about a cm...not really growth! But it feels longer, I measured it at 13.5" just over a week ago, today it says its measured at 14" but my roots aren't any longer? So lost! I want to get it to waist length hair, it's a way off but I will not be able to stand the next couple of years thinking its grown when it hasn't, that's stressful haha

Rio040113
October 3rd, 2013, 05:28 AM
I think hair just does that sometimes, some days mine will feel long-ish but most days it feels barely past my shoulders lol. As you're growing out (I assume?) the bleach, it would probably be easiest and most accurate/consistent to measure the amount of growth you have at your roots, rather than down your full length, if that makes sense? :)

Stray_mind
October 3rd, 2013, 05:33 AM
I agree. You should measure your roots and ir would be easier to follow your growth rate. Especially if there's high contrast between your natural color and bleached hair. My hair is kinda wavy at the ends on some days, so sometimes i fail to measure it right. When the ends stretch, it's about and 1,5 inch longer...

Federica
October 3rd, 2013, 05:37 AM
Well, in my personal experience hair has the bad habit to grow when you're not caring of how much it does.
The more often you measure it, the less you'll notice the growth, and you'll go obsessed by it (that happened to me :) ).
Keep you hair up and your hands busy, the less you do with your hair, the better.
And if you take good care of it there's no reason for thinking it won't grow :)
Just take a lenght picture every month and archeive it. In six months, looking to the old pictures, you'll definately notice the growth.

jacqueline101
October 3rd, 2013, 06:38 AM
I agree. You should measure your roots and ir would be easier to follow your growth rate. Especially if there's high contrast between your natural color and bleached hair. My hair is kinda wavy at the ends on some days, so sometimes i fail to measure it right. When the ends stretch, it's about and 1,5 inch longer...

I agree when I dyed and bleached my hair my root line was the best marker I had. Bleach from what I understand has to grow out you can't remove it with a corrector so it's pretty accurate to look at your root line to see growth.

melusine963
October 3rd, 2013, 09:38 AM
The curlier your hair is, the harder it is to measure the length accurately. Since you're a 4b it's not surprising you get different results each time you try. It all depends on how much you're stretching your hair to measure, or how your curls happen to fall that particular day. The best way to monitor your growth is to wear your hair up and forget about it. If you only check your progress once a month at most it should be really obvious how much new growth you have.

Panth
October 3rd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Even straight haired people will get variations in length day to day because their hair stretches out when wet/damp and because daily humidity varies. Also, there is the factor of dents from hairbands, waves from plaits, loose curls from buns - all mean the apparent length varies from day to day. On someone who is a 4b, this is going to be massively more pronounced, making length measurements even more inaccurate.

I agree that growth is most easily and accurately measured by measuring a dye/bleach demarcation line if you have one. However, that won't give you a measure of what most people here are really worried about - not growth (as they usually call it) but length gain. I.e. measuring where your dye/bleach demarcation line is won't tell me how much hair length you've lost off the bottom from general wear and tear or specific damage, and whether or not the amount lost is greater than the amount grown in at the same time. This is particularly critical if you have just transitioned from a damaging routine (e.g. dye, bleach, relaxers, flat irons, etc.) as the loss of length might be considerable.

In general, it's best to measure your hair growth monthly or less frequently. The average growth is about 0.5" per month and even exceptional individuals rarely gain as much as 2" per month. So, really, there is very unlikely to be a measurable difference after a week, say.

Also, how are you measuring? You should put the tape so that zero is your hairline at the centre of your forehead, then measure back from there (i.e. along where a centre parting would be, to the crown, then down the centre of the back of the head and continue on). This sounds counter intuitive, but it gives far more accurate, consistent results than measuring with zero being at your crown.

spidermom
October 3rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
You can take growth for granted. You have hairs growing all the time, 24/7. Of course sometimes it's your newer, shorter hairs that are growing so you don't see length increase, but you will in time. Turn your attention to other things, and I guarantee that length increase will sneak up on you.

Rio040113
October 3rd, 2013, 03:37 PM
Spidermom is 110% right about length sneaking up on you, I was adamant my hair was still barely at Waist, no matter how much everyone told me otherwise, it took 3 pictures and a micro-trim to neaten up my hem for me to accept I'm solidly Hip nowadays, not that it feels it still lol, hence my 'wst+' on my profile ha. Your hair is growing and will continue to do so (all being well with you!) and you'll hit Waist before you know it!

Audhumla
October 3rd, 2013, 04:26 PM
There are really two reasons why your hair might be measuring longer but your roots don't seem to be longer.
1. You hair really isn't longer and it's just a variation in texture making it more wavy and shorter one day and straight and apparently longer the next day.
I have a little body wave to my hair which was driving me crazy trying to measure growth so I always measure my hair wet and the measurements seem to be relatively consistent. Maybe that would be an option?

2. Every hair on your head doesn't grow at exactly the same rate. Maybe the hair where you're checking your roots is just lagging behind a little.
Maybe you could try a scalp massage to encourage growth a little? Or just keep it in mind.

Crumpet
October 3rd, 2013, 05:05 PM
Spidermom is 110% right about length sneaking up on you, I was adamant my hair was still barely at Waist, no matter how much everyone told me otherwise, it took 3 pictures and a micro-trim to neaten up my hem for me to accept I'm solidly Hip nowadays, not that it feels it still lol, hence my 'wst+' on my profile ha. Your hair is growing and will continue to do so (all being well with you!) and you'll hit Waist before you know it!

Yup, I think I'm in waist denial. Pictures show me as there, but it doesn't feel like it yet because it snuck up on me. I'm waiting another week until I declare because it seems too soon somehow!

sandigrl117
October 3rd, 2013, 08:08 PM
I've been there. It depends on the texture my hair is that day, products I've used, amount of stretch my strands are willing to give, etc. For now, like others are saying, I'd go based off your roots for growth. Or, what I decided to do, is average the length of my hair over a week at the beginning of the month. I've gone between 23-25 inches this week, so I'm saying my hair is 24 inches. And now no measuring till the beginning of November.

Deloria87
October 4th, 2013, 02:05 AM
I'm starting to think I've 'typed' my hair wrong...it's just fine and straight lol.

Rio040113 I'm not growing out the bleach no, I like it lovely and white but I bleached it too much too quickly and where I'd previously had just past APL (the longest I've ever had it so I was very gutted) it broke to SL through damage so I cut it off to just below my chin to rescue the rest of it! So, just growing out bleach damage really but I want *long term* WL hair.

Melusine963 I was really trying to avoid wearing my hair because I'd heard that caused more damage with hair elastics? Where it's all one length, no layers other than my fringe I was hoping to keep it that way without splitting hair at different lengths...was that wrong? Is it ok to tie back?

I've been on a hair growing mission for about 3 years, it's so difficult to not think about growth :( I'm always stupid with my hair though and cut on a whim, I'd done SO so well before the bleach damage as well - couldn't even look at the floor when I walked out of the salon :(

CurlMonster
October 4th, 2013, 03:43 AM
Yes it is good to tie your hair up, this will protect it from wind, rubbing on your clothes and getting caught in things, all of which cause friction and damage. It is more important as your hair gets longer, at chin length you probably won't get your hair caught in things very often. Still it is a good habit to get into if you intend to grow your hair long. Elastics can be damaging, this is why hair toys are popular here. Sticks, scrunchies, and clips are better at holding your hair up without breaking it like an elastic will.

BlondeWavyGal
October 4th, 2013, 03:57 AM
Looking at the roots is difficult when it comes to gauging growth. My roots tend to go from 'not very much' to 'a whole head of new growth' In a manner of days.
I use two mirrors and just brush my hair back over my shoulders and check how close its getting to APL to see how much I've grown, but pictures work as well. The key is comparison, it might not look like much growth, but its longer than the day before.

But the true key is benign neglect. Tie it up if possible and just forget about it for a couple months. When you measure again, Voila! it seems like a whole lot more than if you checked daily.
''

Panth
October 4th, 2013, 12:56 PM
I'm starting to think I've 'typed' my hair wrong...it's just fine and straight lol.

Rio040113 I'm not growing out the bleach no, I like it lovely and white but I bleached it too much too quickly and where I'd previously had just past APL (the longest I've ever had it so I was very gutted) it broke to SL through damage so I cut it off to just below my chin to rescue the rest of it! So, just growing out bleach damage really but I want *long term* WL hair.

Melusine963 I was really trying to avoid wearing my hair because I'd heard that caused more damage with hair elastics? Where it's all one length, no layers other than my fringe I was hoping to keep it that way without splitting hair at different lengths...was that wrong? Is it ok to tie back?

I've been on a hair growing mission for about 3 years, it's so difficult to not think about growth :( I'm always stupid with my hair though and cut on a whim, I'd done SO so well before the bleach damage as well - couldn't even look at the floor when I walked out of the salon :(

Fia's hairtyping system (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8954) describes 4b as "tightly coiled hair bending in sharp angles (Z-pattern)". So, if your hair is straight it is most definitely not 4b.

I can't really comment on the bleach damage, but you are rather confused about putting hair up. Or rather, you are completely correct: hair elastics do cause damage (particularly the ones with metal on, and particularly when worn in the same style/place repeatedly over long periods of time). However, wearing the hair contained (i.e. plaits) or up (i.e. buns/twists/etc.) is very protective as both the ends and the length are prevented from tangling as much and (in the case of updos) they are unable to rub on clothes, chair backs, shoulder bags, etc. However, this reduction of damage must also not be accompanied by an increase in damage by using poor tools, e.g. hair elastics, to secure the updo. LHC hair-friendly hair tool favourites include hair sticks, hair forks, ficcares and scrunchies. All of those will cause minimal damage if any, making the updo a much more protective option than loose hair.