PDA

View Full Version : Caster oil question

jacqueline101
October 2nd, 2013, 10:39 PM
I know this question is silly but do you use medical grade or hair grade caster oil? Does it really mater. I was wondering. Thanks. Oh by the way I wondering if you can use it to grow eye lashes and eye brows.

Naiadryade
October 2nd, 2013, 11:10 PM
I use organic castor oil from Mountain Rose Herbs. I'm not sure if medical vs cosmetic grade castor oil matters, but this is one thing for me that I really want organic. Castor oil absorbs deeply into the skin, and brings with it whatever is in it. I use it in salves for bruises and such because of this--it helps the medicinal herbs penetrate to the wound. I certainly wouldn't want it bringing any pesticides, etc, in with it! Especially not on my scalp.

Just my :twocents:, hope it helps!

spirals
October 2nd, 2013, 11:21 PM
I didn't know there were 2 grades. I use whatever Bulk Apothecary has. I do use it on my eyebrows and it does work. I also put it in some of my lip balms, if I want extra shine.

jacqueline101
October 2nd, 2013, 11:34 PM
I didn't know there were 2 grades. I use whatever Bulk Apothecary has. I do use it on my eyebrows and it does work. I also put it in some of my lip balms, if I want extra shine.

I was on line looking at a beauty supply catalogue they had hair caster oil so I thought there was two grades.

jacqueline101
October 3rd, 2013, 03:35 AM
I use organic castor oil from Mountain Rose Herbs. I'm not sure if medical vs cosmetic grade castor oil matters, but this is one thing for me that I really want organic. Castor oil absorbs deeply into the skin, and brings with it whatever is in it. I use it in salves for bruises and such because of this--it helps the medicinal herbs penetrate to the wound. I certainly wouldn't want it bringing any pesticides, etc, in with it! Especially not on my scalp.

Just my :twocents:, hope it helps!

It helps a lot thank you.

breezefaerie
October 3rd, 2013, 07:07 AM
I've only ever used the castor oil I find at the drug store, in the laxative section. I imagine that's medical grade but honestly have no idea.
Worked great on my eyebrows which reminds me - I really need to start doing this again!

cranberrymoonz
October 3rd, 2013, 07:30 AM
Medical is meant to be a used internally as a laxative, and cosmetic may be lower quality/less refined or something like that. (just my guessing) But if you are not going to take it anyway and you'll only use is externally, I don't believe it would make any difference which one you pick. I have used cosmetic castor oil on my eyebrows and lashes and it has worked just fine for me.

Kwantslonghair
October 3rd, 2013, 09:36 AM
Is castor oil expensive? My eyelashes and eyebrows have really thinned.

sarahthegemini
October 3rd, 2013, 10:28 AM
Is castor oil expensive? My eyelashes and eyebrows have really thinned.

I bought a 50ml bottle of organic castor oil off Amazon for £2.79

I know this question is silly but do you use medical grade or hair grade caster oil? Does it really mater. I was wondering. Thanks. Oh by the way I wondering if you can use it to grow eye lashes and eye brows.

I've been using it on my lashes and brows and I *think* it's helped my brows fill out a bit :)

Kwantslonghair
October 3rd, 2013, 10:31 AM

Thanks for asking this question. I had wondered about if it would help eyebrows and lashes but didn't want to start a thread on it.

Kwantslonghair
October 3rd, 2013, 10:33 AM

I've been using it on my lashes and brows and I *think* it's helped my brows fill out a bit :)

Thank you for your fast reply. I will give it a try

jacqueline101
October 3rd, 2013, 12:16 PM
I've only ever used the castor oil I find at the drug store, in the laxative section. I imagine that's medical grade but honestly have no idea.
Worked great on my eyebrows which reminds me - I really need to start doing this again!

I'm going to use it on my brow too. I burnt mine off.

jacqueline101
October 3rd, 2013, 12:21 PM

I will check out Amazon and I hope it regrows my burnt off brow. I smoke and the wind blew the zippo flame.

jacqueline101
October 3rd, 2013, 12:23 PM
Thank you for your fast reply. I will give it a try

That's the best deal. Does anyone know if amazon has over night delivery?

jacqueline101
October 3rd, 2013, 12:26 PM
Medical is meant to be a used internally as a laxative, and cosmetic may be lower quality/less refined or something like that. (just my guessing) But if you are not going to take it anyway and you'll only use is externally, I don't believe it would make any difference which one you pick. I have used cosmetic castor oil on my eyebrows and lashes and it has worked just fine for me.

Thanks for explaining the differences to me. It was the Hollywood of beauty website I seen the hair caster oil. I will probably get the medical grade.

sarahthegemini
October 3rd, 2013, 12:48 PM
I will check out Amazon and I hope it regrows my burnt off brow. I smoke and the wind blew the zippo flame.

Good luck :)

breezefaerie
October 3rd, 2013, 12:51 PM
I hope the oil helps your burnt brow. I have really thin, almost non-existent brows because of trichotilomania and castor oil has helped them regrow.

sarahthegemini
October 3rd, 2013, 12:52 PM
That's the best deal. Does anyone know if amazon has over night delivery?

I think they have a next-day-delivery service called Amazon Prime, but that's only for products sold directly via Amazon as opposed to other Amazon sellers unfortunately :(

jacqueline101
October 3rd, 2013, 12:52 PM
Good luck :)

Thanks buddy.

jacqueline101
October 3rd, 2013, 12:53 PM
I hope the oil helps your burnt brow. I have really thin, almost non-existent brows because of trichotilomania and castor oil has helped them regrow.

Me too I have a dinner date next week and I don't want to attend brow less on one side.