PDA

View Full Version : Human Hair String Quartet

PraiseCheeses
October 2nd, 2013, 12:26 PM
Aaaahhhh!!! My worlds are colliding!

I've been joking about rehairing my violin bow using my sheds for a while. Apparently someone else had a similar idea - look what DBF posted to my Facebook today:

http://www.thestrad.com/latest/news/bow-maker-uses-human-hair-for-shampoo-promotion-stunt

There's a video link in the article.

So, what do you think? And are YOU at rehair length? :silly:

Nanna
October 2nd, 2013, 02:04 PM
I need to make a bow for my vielle, and it doesn't even need to be so very long, so I might try! Though I guess my hair isn't long or coarse enough for the gut strings to sound good. Maybe it's better to stick with horsehair - I already have bought some for the purpose and it would be a shame to waste it.

wildkratt
October 2nd, 2013, 02:13 PM
Whoa, that is way cool! I wish I could hear the songs the orchestra played in Manila. :violin:

Amygirl8
October 2nd, 2013, 02:16 PM
*Looks at fine, prone-to-breakage hair*...
I need some of that cream silk stuff lol. Though I'd have to say, Asian hair is probably the best for that- it's naturally quite strong and coarse to begin with. It was a really cool commercial though

lunalocks
October 2nd, 2013, 03:06 PM
Well, my longest fallen hair measured 30 inches and my bow is only 26. Maybe I should start collecting them? Wonder what my luthier would do.....

GabrielleRose
October 2nd, 2013, 03:06 PM
That commercial was pretty cool, I wish my hair was strong like that!

I'm with you Amygirl8! The product junky in me had me googling for a bit lol!

PraiseCheeses
October 2nd, 2013, 03:11 PM
*Looks at fine, prone-to-breakage hair*...
I need some of that cream silk stuff lol. Though I'd have to say, Asian hair is probably the best for that- it's naturally quite strong and coarse to begin with. It was a really cool commercial though

That's pretty much what I thought too; it's neat, but I'll only be really impressed if they used finer hair. There's no way my Northern European hair would stand up to that! Also, I wonder what music they played for those four hours. Mozart and the like: not impressive (to not break bowhair, that is). Shostakovich or Brahms: very impressive!

(Although if you play Shostakovich and don't break a bowhair or five, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. :silly:)

melusine963
October 2nd, 2013, 03:14 PM
Wow, I wish there was a recording of the concert. I'd certainly buy that. :)

Yozhik
October 4th, 2013, 08:03 AM
I'm guessing I'm too short for rehairing length, now (how long is the minimum? I didn't even know there were different bow lengths - *the nube is laughed out of the thread*).

Very cool, though!

I'm guessing my hair would hold up moderately well as a medium-textured person - is this why you've been collecting your sheds, PraiseCheeses?? :hmm: :silly:

I'd also like to find out what music they played for four hours...:)