PDA

View Full Version : Oh me, oh my! Protein overload, perhaps? help appreciated!

HappyFoo
October 2nd, 2013, 08:31 AM
I'm still quite new here so I'm not sure if it's appropriate to start a new thread or search for an old one and ask there :o But I have very fine hair, so I got some sulfate free "thickening" shampoo and conditioner with collagen and wheat protein! It's been my go-to for weeks now, then I was confused as to why my hair looked so bad, and then realized... Protein overload is a thing... Sigh. I googled it and lots of DC treatments were suggested to balance everything out, but frankly I can't afford to get any commercial DCs or any of the nice oils found only in health food stores or ordered online ^_^" In fact I've never even done a full on DC treatment before...

I read that olive oil, eggs, and honey were a good diy treatment, and that I could wrap my head on plastic wrap and blow dry it on low heat every now and then and leave it on for a few hours..m maybe I'm way off!

Any helpful info over protein overload and DC treatments?? I'd rather look ignorant and learn than continue to be ignorant hahaha, any advice? :)

breezefaerie
October 2nd, 2013, 08:38 AM
When you say your hair looks bad, what exactly is it doing?

Are the ends crunchy?
Velcroing together?

It may be that you just need to clarify your hair :)

BlondeWavyGal
October 2nd, 2013, 08:40 AM
Clarifying may be necessary , but an olive oil honey and egg treatment could help the process. You need only apply, wrap and leave in for 1-2 hours and then wash out, water only or with light conditioner.
Changing shampoos and conditioners might help if you feel the protein build up is related to the products you are using, Personally I find shampoo too drying to use, but often when they offer 'special treatments and thickening' its too good to be true. Stick to natural is my approach!

HappyFoo
October 2nd, 2013, 08:43 AM
It isn't as shiny and is really dry and a little crunchy in some areas :( I clarified the other day with ACV and my hair was amazing, but today when I washed it... Sigh, LOL. Maybe I just didn't wash as well as I should've, some areas are oily others overly dry. Aaaagh! Hahaha :)

BlondeWavyGal
October 2nd, 2013, 08:52 AM
Yes, my hair gets that way sometimes. Oily scalp, dry length and ends. You should try out the egg, honey, oil mask.

Or maybe just some regular coconut oil/olive oil and deep conditioner?

Washing more only tends to dry it out more if you aren't using something that conditions deeply.

*EDIT*

Woah Looking back I kinda look dumb mentioning deep conditioners when you clearly said you didn't have any. Sorry, late here.
But yeah, the mask is good for DC. Heating up Olive Oil and applying is also good.

Leeloo
October 2nd, 2013, 09:33 AM
It isn't as shiny and is really dry and a little crunchy in some areas :( I clarified the other day with ACV and my hair was amazing, but today when I washed it... Sigh, LOL. Maybe I just didn't wash as well as I should've, some areas are oily others overly dry. Aaaagh! Hahaha :)

ACV rinses do not clarify. They might mildly take off the very surface build up. You could try 3 tbsp of baking soda with 3 tbsp of shampoo as a clarifying treatment. This is very drying so use only once a month or so and follow up with a moisture treatment.

Leeloo
October 2nd, 2013, 09:41 AM

ACV rinses do not clarify. They might mildly take off the very surface build up. You could try 3 tbsp of baking soda with 3 tbsp of shampoo as a clarifying treatment. This is very drying so use only once a month or so and follow up with a moisture treatment.

Nope
October 2nd, 2013, 09:49 AM
If you have protein buildup, using eggs on your hair may make it worse; eggs are used for protein treatments. If you wanted to do a moisture mask, I would recommend blending up overripe bananas(or using banana babyfood) with some olive oil c: it works great for me.

Firefox7275
October 2nd, 2013, 10:19 AM
I'm still quite new here so I'm not sure if it's appropriate to start a new thread or search for an old one and ask there :o But I have very fine hair, so I got some sulfate free "thickening" shampoo and conditioner with collagen and wheat protein! It's been my go-to for weeks now, then I was confused as to why my hair looked so bad, and then realized... Protein overload is a thing... Sigh. I googled it and lots of DC treatments were suggested to balance everything out, but frankly I can't afford to get any commercial DCs or any of the nice oils found only in health food stores or ordered online ^_^" In fact I've never even done a full on DC treatment before...

I read that olive oil, eggs, and honey were a good diy treatment, and that I could wrap my head on plastic wrap and blow dry it on low heat every now and then and leave it on for a few hours..m maybe I'm way off!

Any helpful info over protein overload and DC treatments?? I'd rather look ignorant and learn than continue to be ignorant hahaha, any advice? :)

Vinegar is a chelator not a clarifier so removes hard water build up and helps the cuticle lay flat: you need a sulphate or betaine shampoo that is not 'conditioning', a clear shower gel would likely suffice and remove some of the protein overload. Eggs are allegedly used as a protein treatment but the protein does not penetrate as they are not hydrolysed.

As well as clarify you need to 'moisturise'/ condition with the major emollients and possibly humectants (eg. honey, sugar syrup, aloe gel). Oils are useful for deep treatments but they are anti humectants (remember oil and water don't mix) when used alone, some will penetrate and reduce porosity. You can use these mixed into a cheap conditioner base that you might already have if you wish. There is no need to purchase fancy oils for deep treating: anything rich in lauric acid (eg. coconut, palm kernel) or oleic acid (eg. olive, sweet almond) can penetrate and these can be found cheaply or you may even already have them in the house.

HintOfMint
October 2nd, 2013, 10:20 AM
I would clarify and then do a moisture treatment, like an SMT--combination of aloe vera gel, honey and, in your case, a protein-free conditioner. I would also switch to a protein-free conditioner for a while. Your hair will slowly get back to normal.