PDA

View Full Version : I'm really fed up with my wavy hair

sarahthegemini
October 2nd, 2013, 07:03 AM
Sorry for this rant but I'm getting increasingly fed up with my hair. My hair - no matter what I do - dries stringy looking. Whether I use a L.I or not, whether I use a little leave in or a lot. Without fail, my hair dries into spaghetti type pieces and I look like I have about 10 strands of hair. So I have to comb to break up the stringy pieces and get the fullness back, though this of course pulls out my wave pattern. My stringy pieces have several 'S' shape waves but after I comb, I am left with very little wave. I don't know what to do. I can either preserve my waves - and have stringy limp hair, OR I can have full volumey hair with body and barely any wave at all.

I'm currently experimenting with using more L.I than normal as I've been getting a bit frizzier so the extra L.I combats that, however this means my stringy pieces dry sort of 'crispy' which again; means my hair needs to be combed to a) break up the stringyness, and b) remove the crispyness. I end up with lovely soft smooth hair after this, but with barely any wave. I feel like I can't win.

So I can barely get good 1st day hair, let alone 2nd day hair. What little wave I have is completely destroyed by the next morning. I pineapple my hair and at first this worked great but now, not so much. I suppose it's because I have little wave to begin with, but today (day after washing) my hair is virtually straight.

Arghhhhhhhh!

ETA: I just realised that a lot of my 'frizz' is actually new growth (yay) but it's definitely tamer when I use more L.I

spidermom
October 2nd, 2013, 07:07 AM
Don't worry. When it gets long enough that you're putting it up to keep it out of your way most days, it won't matter.

By the way, if it's wavy, it's not a 1-type.

Naiadryade
October 2nd, 2013, 07:47 AM
I don't really know how to help you, but this does remind me of the tentacles thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=111495)... so at least you're not alone! :grouphug:

Surinecet
October 2nd, 2013, 07:47 AM
I am in the same place, actually, of being totally fed up with my hair, which is funny because we joined LHC at the same time too. My first day hair is tangled, has massive shed, and really bad frizzies all over. Then second day after washing is just ok, but like you I have to brush it, so all the wave falls out in front, making it look unkempt. Days 3 and 4 are greasy and can't do a thing with it. If there was just one day that was great it would be better, but like you said, there's no great hair days. I've even been contemplating going back to a little blow drying or curling iron. Sacrilege, I know, but when you hate your hair every day... :mad:

I agree with Spidermom though, once your hair is longer, it will probably be much easier to deal with. You can put it up or do braid waves to encourage the curl. I think there's some threads around here on what to do with the shorter lengths of hair like yours and mine (your profile picture looks like your hair is between shoulder and APL), that may help us suffer through in the mean time.

lapushka
October 2nd, 2013, 07:53 AM
Sorry for this rant but I'm getting increasingly fed up with my hair. My hair - no matter what I do - dries stringy looking. Whether I use a L.I or not, whether I use a little leave in or a lot. Without fail, my hair dries into spaghetti type pieces and I look like I have about 10 strands of hair. So I have to comb to break up the stringy pieces and get the fullness back, though this of course pulls out my wave pattern. My stringy pieces have several 'S' shape waves but after I comb, I am left with very little wave. I don't know what to do. I can either preserve my waves - and have stringy limp hair, OR I can have full volumey hair with body and barely any wave at all.

Could it be less wavy than you actually think you are?

We always comb after washing (when damp and out of the towel), right before styling (leave-in, serum, and gel). It doesn't mess with my wave pattern, and I'm barely a wavy. I never got stringy bits.

I'd try and go for less moisture, rather than too much. Maybe try washing with a clarifying shampoo, and following up with a light conditioner. Then try (combing), the leave-in and further styling.

Squiggy
October 2nd, 2013, 07:54 AM
I have tons of frizzy new growth too! It's both a yay! and a boo.

As far as breaking up the clumps, have you tried gently separating the pieces with your fingers rather than combing? It could help preserve your wave pattern and also reduce the poof that comes with combing.

sourgrl
October 2nd, 2013, 08:15 AM
Maybe plopping instead of the pineapple? I've found finger combing breaks up my waves without pulling them out, better than a regular comb does.

Crabbyco
October 2nd, 2013, 08:33 AM
How about applying some moisturizing product like a curl cream or a gel. I know products are kind of frowned on around here but if I didn't add product to my fine hair it would be flat. On facebook there is a group of us wavys called Wavy Hair Community that talk about products and styling. Most of the ladies are fine hairs but we have all textures.

bunzfan
October 2nd, 2013, 08:45 AM
I'm a wavy and i know exactly what you are talking about basically it doesn't clump together nicely i have found the total opposite if i towel dry and don't touch expect for finger combing it looks so much better once dry and clumps together just right.. it's worth a try .

BlondeWavyGal
October 2nd, 2013, 09:10 AM
frick frack. Double post alert

BlondeWavyGal
October 2nd, 2013, 09:11 AM
Wavy hair can get annoying, especially when it only has a little wave and gets ruined when you comb it out.
Personally, when I want to go around with waves, I condition only and let it dry naturally, Spray in some leave in condish, comb the ends out a bit and fluff it up. But maybe im just lucky that my hair has fairly good volume.
Second day? No. It Definitely wouldn't hold, I would need to braid it for any kind of volume that wasn't a tangle to hold onto another day. I don't stretch my washes, but I know from experience waves can get ruined from getting too oily, which is when leave in conditioner comes in a bit helpful as well as a wide tooth comb.

KittyBird
October 2nd, 2013, 09:38 AM
Try a different leave-in, maybe? Does the one you use have cones or other ingredients that may weigh your hair down? I always use a leave-in after washing, and I can't really say that it has ever made my hair 'crunchy'.
It could also be that you're just not as wavy as you think, or that you hair needs more length before the waves start behaving themselves. I comb my waves out with a wide-tooth comb after my hair has dried, but my hair always regains some wave afterwards. Before combing it's mostly 2b with some 2a and a bit of 2c, and after combing it's sort of 2a on the upper part and 2b on the lower part. My ends are always wavier. :)

Leeloo
October 2nd, 2013, 09:49 AM
My hair did that too when I did CO wash. If you are CO washing maybe try shampoo every other time. It might help. And maybe try a bit (tiny bit) of coconut oil on dry hair then brush with BBB at night to combat frizz in the morning instead of the LI (coconut oil will mostly absorb by morning but help keep your hair more smooth).

Liz_park
October 2nd, 2013, 11:11 AM
Hey Sarahthegemini,

I saw your post and it reminded me of how I feel about my hair sometimes! I had rather stringy looking hair a few months ago and it was driving me nuts.

Do you have layers in your hair? I noticed that layers make my hair look super stringy. I would recommend a blunt cut to eliminate stringiness.

Also, maybe you need to wait to grow it out a bit more. It looks like you're a little past shoulder, and I found at that length, my hair did not look the least bit voluminous. Now that it's a few inches longer, and I've cut some of the layers out, I do find that it's really thickened up and looks a lot better!

Vrindi
October 2nd, 2013, 11:29 AM

I'm currently experimenting with using more L.I than normal as I've been getting a bit frizzier so the extra L.I combats that, however this means my stringy pieces dry sort of 'crispy' which again; means my hair needs to be combed to a) break up the stringyness, and b) remove the crispyness. I end up with lovely soft smooth hair after this, but with barely any wave. I feel like I can't win.

So I can barely get good 1st day hair, let alone 2nd day hair. What little wave I have is completely destroyed by the next morning. I pineapple my hair and at first this worked great but now, not so much. I suppose it's because I have little wave to begin with, but today (day after washing) my hair is virtually straight.

Arghhhhhhhh!

ETA: I just realised that a lot of my 'frizz' is actually new growth (yay) but it's definitely tamer when I use more L.I

I'm a fan of the braid waves for nice volume. If my hair is deciding it's going to be super-straight and limp, then into braids it goes. Naturally, I have a good amount of wave, but since moving to this climate, it's gone straight. Limp hair days = awesome braid styles. Then the days after I have awesome mermaid waves again.

sourgrl
October 2nd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Kittybird, your explanation of your hair before and after combing is a great example of how wavy hair tends to have a mind of its own!

Firefox7275
October 2nd, 2013, 12:25 PM
It's normal to have thin looking, stringy hair if you are following the Curly Girl method and using some sort of styler for hold, I sometimes get it from conditioner only usually when the hair is not as dry as i think it is and/ or using a protein heavy product (film former), and have also had it from Jessicurl Rockin Ringlets which is not hard hold just aloe/ flax (more film formers).

With CG you don't normally comb because that destroys wave and encourages frizz, and might damage the hairs by ripping them apart but rather 'scrunch out the crunch'. There is a SOTC thread with photographs on Naturallycurly forums, check out some of the photos tab on the Wavy Hair Community, I know Chupie has posted her pre-scrunch photographs. For volume you can also do all your styling upside down and/ or practice root clipping. If SOTC isn't enough you might do that followed by the barest minimum of finger combing (only four or five 'prongs' on your hand-comb) or picking/ fluffing with a two prong tailcomb, or gently massaging the roots or some combination.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/158711-brave-post-your-before-sotc-after-pics.html
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdl-qBYgNpOyX0lmHYb5wsQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvZdON1NDJM

If none of that is any use consider if you need to back off on the protein a little or otherwise alter your ingredient choices, I have had to with the recent change in weather here in the UK and I believe that is not unusual. I had the best hair day in weeks on Friday yet when mostly dry (surface felt dry in most areas) it was just AWFUL ... hard, stringy, limp, clung to my head. I fixed that by breaking the 'rules' and lightly diffusing to break up the gel cast, and got the most amazing bounce, volume and soft/ defined waves!!

sarahthegemini
October 2nd, 2013, 02:34 PM
Wow, so many replies :) I'm on my tablet so I can't mass quote but i'll try to answer some of the questions...

I don't think it's a case of me being less wavy than I think, I mean if I don't touch my hair at all (afer washing) I get lovely and quite a strong looking pattern of waves (if the stringyness wasn't an issue, my hair would look lovely) The waves only dissipate after combing.

I also don't think it's due to me being a co-washer as I've had this problem for a long time, even when I was shampooing regularly, I have thought about throwing in the occasional low poo since going CO but I'm not convinced that it will help the stringyness.

I'm experimenting with different leave-ins, even using no leave in and the results are always the same.

I don't have layers in my hair, so apart from new growth my hair has a fairly blunt hemline.

It's normal to have thin looking, stringy hair if you are following the Curly Girl method and using some sort of styler for hold, I sometimes get it from conditioner only usually when the hair is not as dry as i think it is and/ or using a protein heavy product (film former), and have also had it from Jessicurl Rockin Ringlets which is not hard hold just aloe/ flax (more film formers).

With CG you don't normally comb because that destroys wave and encourages frizz, and might damage the hairs by ripping them apart but rather 'scrunch out the crunch'. There is a SOTC thread with photographs on Naturallycurly forums, check out some of the photos tab on the Wavy Hair Community, I know Chupie has posted her pre-scrunch photographs. For volume you can also do all your styling upside down and/ or practice root clipping. If SOTC isn't enough you might do that followed by the barest minimum of finger combing (only four or five 'prongs' on your hand-comb) or picking/ fluffing with a two prong tailcomb, or gently massaging the roots or some combination.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/158711-brave-post-your-before-sotc-after-pics.html
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdl-qBYgNpOyX0lmHYb5wsQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvZdON1NDJM

If none of that is any use consider if you need to back off on the protein a little or otherwise alter your ingredient choices, I have had to with the recent change in weather here in the UK and I believe that is not unusual. I had the best hair day in weeks on Friday yet when mostly dry (surface felt dry in most areas) it was just AWFUL ... hard, stringy, limp, clung to my head. I fixed that by breaking the 'rules' and lightly diffusing to break up the gel cast, and got the most amazing bounce, volume and soft/ defined waves!!

SOTC! I thought of this today, I wasn't sure if it would be applicable as I'm not using gel but it definitely crossed my mind. I'll be washing my hair tomorrow so I can try that tomorrow too :)

The part about it being normal to have thin stringy hair if following the CG method is interesting, I had no idea it was 'normal' although as said before, I'm not using gels only conditioner, does that count as a 'styler'? Also, are you saying it could be my protein rich leave in condish that is the culprit? I had NO idea! Do you reckon I should try a protein free L.I? I have the GVN direct leave in, it has Glycine soja (protein?) But that's the 11 or 12th ingredient. What do you think?

Thanks everyone! :blossom:

Wildcat Diva
October 2nd, 2013, 02:54 PM
Might I recommend homemade flax seed gel to encourage more stable waves? YouTube has tutorials and it's not expensive.

sarahthegemini
October 2nd, 2013, 03:50 PM
Might I recommend homemade flax seed gel to encourage more stable waves? YouTube has tutorials and it's not expensive.

I will consider this :)

Kiwiwi
October 2nd, 2013, 04:13 PM
I've quickly read through the replies and I don't think I've read this yet.

Have you tried scrunching when your hair is dry?

I am a curly and I follow the curly girl method (when I wear my curls out). And to me, one of the MOST important steps to get beautiful, full, soft curls (instead of more clumped together and hard-ish, because of the gel/leave in cast) is to scrunch the hair when it has dried. Really!
Without this step my curls don't look half as pretty.

So I'd say; try that. Shower, put in your fav leave-in/gel. Let your hair dry all stringy and then flip your head over. Slip your fingers carefully onto your scalp (don't rake through the hair because that is like combing) and shake a bit. Then take your hands out carefully. And then scrunch your hair from the bottom up. And then flip your hair back straight up.

I really hope that helps!

sarahthegemini
October 2nd, 2013, 04:16 PM
I've quickly read through the replies and I don't think I've read this yet.

Have you tried scrunching when your hair is dry?

I am a curly and I follow the curly girl method (when I wear my curls out). And to me, one of the MOST important steps to get beautiful, full, soft curls (instead of more clumped together and hard-ish, because of the gel/leave in cast) is to scrunch the hair when it has dried. Really!
Without this step my curls don't look half as pretty.

So I'd say; try that. Shower, put in your fav leave-in/gel. Let your hair dry all stringy and then flip your head over. Slip your fingers carefully onto your scalp (don't rake through the hair because that is like combing) and shake a bit. Then take your hands out carefully. And then scrunch your hair from the bottom up. And then flip your hair back straight up.

I really hope that helps!

That's very helpful, thanks Kiwiwi, and your curls are beautiful! :)

Kiwiwi
October 2nd, 2013, 04:21 PM
That's very helpful, thanks Kiwiwi, and your curls are beautiful! :)

I hope so! :D

Aw, thank you so much! *smiles*

sarahthegemini
October 3rd, 2013, 04:41 AM
I hope so! :D

Aw, thank you so much! *smiles*

:)

(Damn, a smiley is too short a message!)

carrielynn
October 3rd, 2013, 05:24 AM
SOTC is the first thing I thought of too. I never comb or brush except in the shower with soaking wet/conditioned hair. And a light gel might not be a bad idea to try -- just something to keep the waves in place while they dry.

sarahthegemini
October 3rd, 2013, 05:38 AM
SOTC is the first thing I thought of too. I never comb or brush except in the shower with soaking wet/conditioned hair. And a light gel might not be a bad idea to try -- just something to keep the waves in place while they dry

I'm definitely going to explore the idea of gels, there's so many options, but I think the general consensus is to try a flax seed base gel. Will give it a shot! :) Also, i'm glad you mentioned the SOTC idea, a few have mentioned it so at least I wasn't completely off the mark!

sarahthegemini
October 3rd, 2013, 10:03 AM
Finally got round to purchasing the curly girl handbook :)

ExpectoPatronum
October 3rd, 2013, 10:58 AM
Maybe plopping instead of the pineapple? I've found finger combing breaks up my waves without pulling them out, better than a regular comb does.

I second this. I finger comb now and it's done wonders in preserving my waves. Plopping out of the shower is also a great way to encourage curl.

sarahthegemini
October 3rd, 2013, 02:12 PM
I second this. I finger comb now and it's done wonders in preserving my waves. Plopping out of the shower is also a great way to encourage curl.

I'll try to SOTC and then finger comb and see how that works :)

Kitten1030
October 3rd, 2013, 06:56 PM
I have a mix of weird stringy, crimpy looking waves and straight so I don't like my hair when it just dries naturally. I put it in a loose bun when it's damp or sort of twist it in a scrunchie while it dries to get bigger rounder waves. I have also sectioned it into 4 twists that hang down (does that even make sense? I'm a bad explainer ) and let it dry like that without touching except to retwist when they unravel and separate them when dry.

emilylightning
October 5th, 2013, 12:33 AM
I hate my first day hair, too. Ugh. It's TOO clean! My hair refuses to straighten itself out no matter what I do. It even continues to curl up at the bottoms when wet! Absolute worst -_- I never have to worry about "preserving" my waves. They happen whether or not I want them to. I'm wearing my hair up all the time though as of late, so I don't have to worry about it at all.

sarahthegemini
October 5th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Update:

So I washed my hair today, used a fair amount of L.I, and as usual my hair dried into defined stringy waves. I was meant to take a picture to illustrate what I meant but I forgot, d'oh! Anyway, my hair didn't dry crunchy but I flipped my head over, ruffled my roots and scrunched. Wow. A huge difference! No more stringy pieces, no more looking like I have only 10 spaghetti strands of hair all over my entire head. I'm so happy! My waves aren't massively defined but definitely more so than if i'd combed. Can't wait to see how it turns out if I use gel :)

ETA: Ok, so my waves aren't huge, I have several small waves as opposed to few large ones. But the important thing is that I can get rid of the stringyness w/o combing and with just scrunching :D

sarahthegemini
October 5th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Not the best pictures bu here's my hair:

http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/sarahthegemini/media/2013-10-05180959_zps7ad5761d.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/sarahthegemini/media/2013-10-05181010_zps7123a558.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Naiadryade
October 5th, 2013, 01:05 PM
GORGEOUS hair! I often wish my hair curled like that. But honey, you are definitely wavier than "1b/1c." I'm looking at loose spirals here. I'd call those pictures 2c, maybe even 3a depending on what the rest of your hair looks like. Unless it's a lot straighter without the leave-in??

Kelikea
October 5th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Have you tried spritzing your hair with a spray bottle of water, or a mix of water and conditioner? If I have to comb out my hair because of tangles, and it looses its curl pattern, I just spray and scrunch until it looks wavy/curly again.

sarahthegemini
October 5th, 2013, 01:40 PM
GORGEOUS hair! I often wish my hair curled like that. But honey, you are definitely wavier than "1b/1c." I'm looking at loose spirals here. I'd call those pictures 2c, maybe even 3a depending on what the rest of your hair looks like. Unless it's a lot straighter without the leave-in??

Aw thank you! I typed my hair as 1b/1c because it can look a lot straighter after copious amounts of combing, I didn't realise my potential! If I remember rightly, w/o leave in, my hair still dries wavy, possibly not quite as defined (but then I'd comb a lot anyway so I don't really know how wavy I would have been if i'd not touched it) I really need to have my hair typed again but I don't have the heart to clarify/'poo it just yet :o I would say though that my bottom layer is definitely wavier (or more spiral-y) than my top layer.

biogirl87
October 5th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Sarahthegemini, in a recent thread or recent article that someone on here dug up about Fia's hairtyping system, it mentioned washing your hair the way you normally would for hair typing (that is, doing normal wash/condition or normal cowash, not clarifying). While clarifying probably would reveal the natural type of your hair, it wouldn't really be helpful as your day to day hair type would be different since you wouldn't be clarifying your hair every time you wash it. Here is a link to the article that explains this in more detail: http://web.archive.org/web/20120527181444/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=227

mamaherrera
October 5th, 2013, 07:36 PM
I have this issue too, now that I'm a curly. It has good volume the first day because everything is just washed, and dries poofy. I braid it at night though, and then my curls all flatten and look like strings the next day like I have no hair the next day. It's like for me a braid just makes my curls compress, I don't get more waves, maybe because I'm a 2C so all the clumps just flatten out totally, all the airs goes . . . adios. . . and I look like a stringy mermaid with hardly any hair. It's either big and less defined, or defined and thin-looking

sarahthegemini
October 7th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Sarahthegemini, in a recent thread or recent article that someone on here dug up about Fia's hairtyping system, it mentioned washing your hair the way you normally would for hair typing (that is, doing normal wash/condition or normal cowash, not clarifying). While clarifying probably would reveal the natural type of your hair, it wouldn't really be helpful as your day to day hair type would be different since you wouldn't be clarifying your hair every time you wash it. Here is a link to the article that explains this in more detail: http://web.archive.org/web/20120527181444/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=227

I'll take a look at that link biogirl. I just bought some styling products (U.G Jelly, U.G Mousse and Boots curl creme) to help my waves :)