PDA

View Full Version : ACV VS Other Vinegars?

AmyBeth
October 1st, 2013, 01:32 PM
Just curious- why ACV? What makes it best? Or are other vinegars just as good?

lilliemer
October 1st, 2013, 08:28 PM
I don't know why ACV seems to be the vinegar of choice, but any mildly acidic solution would be expected to have the same effect on hair as diluted ACV, as the acid is what does most of the heavy lifting in terms of hair benefits. It is supposed to smooth down the cuticle and add shine. ACV can lend reddish tones to light hair, and lots of LHCers seem to be using diluted white vinegar instead. Many people don't like the smell of any sort of vinegar and use citric acid solutions instead.

LornaDoone
October 1st, 2013, 09:02 PM
If you use ACV "with the mother" such as Bragg's there are additional nutrients that are good for your hair. If you read the label carefully, you will find that other ACVs such as Heinz or store brands are regular white vinegar with added flavors and coloring. I have used store brand ACV, Bragg's ACV "with the mother" and white vinegar each for several months. The only difference I saw in my hair was that both kinds of ACV made my hair darker. Not much, just a few shades, but my natural highlights definitely disappeared.

I'm not fond of the smell of ACV and I can not stand the smell of white vinegar at all so I add EOs to the vinegar.

Firefox7275
October 2nd, 2013, 02:03 PM
Nothing AFAIK, I suspect it's the marketing and spin from the alternative therapy field that apple cider vinegar and extra virgin coconut oil are better for internal use or living skin and this is illogically applied to dead hair. You may need a different dilution with different types or brands of vinegars to achieve a pH that your hair likes. Acetic acid is acetic acid and lauric acid is lauric acid, these are the workhorses, being dead hair cannot use many of the 'nutrients' skin can even if they were present in useful amounts.

In2wishin
October 2nd, 2013, 02:19 PM
If you use ACV "with the mother" such as Bragg's there are additional nutrients that are good for your hair. If you read the label carefully, you will find that other ACVs such as Heinz or store brands are regular white vinegar with added flavors and coloring. I have used store brand ACV, Bragg's ACV "with the mother" and white vinegar each for several months. The only difference I saw in my hair was that both kinds of ACV made my hair darker. Not much, just a few shades, but my natural highlights definitely disappeared.

I'm not fond of the smell of ACV and I can not stand the smell of white vinegar at all so I add EOs to the vinegar.

Have you considered switching to citric acid? No smell and really inexpensive.

LornaDoone
October 2nd, 2013, 04:39 PM
Have you considered switching to citric acid? No smell and really inexpensive.

The EOs take care of the smell. Ten drops of lavendar EO in a half gallon of white vinegar, let sit for a few days and viola! Vinegar that actually smells good!

But thanks for the suggestion, I will keep it in mind for the future.

Feronia
October 3rd, 2013, 02:50 AM
I think simply because is more gentle (less acid) and not as smelly than vine vinegard and is more cheap and easy to find and use than citric or lattic acid!
And because is poetic ... But you can use every kind of acid solution with ph 4-5.
To get the proper pH is enough 1 teaspoon of vinegar in a couple of liters of water ... so the vinegar is not in sufficient amount to do something to hair!
I dont'really like acid rinse ... this use comes from our grandmothers, who washed their hair with soap or lye (made with ashes! alkaline!!). I prefer use good shampoo and conditioner, with the proper pH ... and for shiny hair ... fructose and cold rinse!
Actually I think that acid rinse is good only if the water of washing is hard (I don't know if is correct in english ... i mean rich in salts...)

MonaMayfair
October 3rd, 2013, 06:37 AM
I LOVE the smell of ACV! But actually, after having used it as a rinse whenever I washed my hair for a couple of years, and also having experimented with white vinegar, I discovered (after trying a few washes without them) that neither were making any difference whatsoever to my hair. So I stopped using them!

Rosetta
October 5th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Nothing AFAIK, I suspect it's the marketing and spin from the alternative therapy field that apple cider vinegar and extra virgin coconut oil are better for internal use or living skin and this is illogically applied to dead hair.
There's actually no such thing as "extra virgin" coconut oil, there's only virgin or non-virgin (i.e. processed) ;) If someone claims that, it's just a marketing ploy, borrowed from olive oil classifications probably...

Firefox7275
October 5th, 2013, 02:24 PM
There's actually no such thing as "extra virgin" coconut oil, there's only virgin or non-virgin (i.e. processed) ;) If someone claims that, it's just a marketing ploy, borrowed from olive oil classifications probably...

I don't disagree at all, but that is how it's commonly referred to here and elsewhere by full name or acronym (EVCO), I generally simply advocate 'coconut oil' and use refined myself.

kmcg
October 5th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Just curious- why ACV? What makes it best? Or are other vinegars just as good?
I've always wondered so I just did a search and found this old LHC thread discussing the same thing:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=92375
I think ACV has darkened my hair a bit but I also mix it with teas to promote darkening so that's a plus for me. ACV + teas have always been my go to rinse but I have some lavender infused white vinegar laying around. I might give that a go when my rinse runs out and see if I notice a difference.
ETA: I came across an article briefly stating that ACV is more gentle than white vinegar. I tried to verify the information with no luck. Does anyone know if that is a fact?

2peasinapod
October 5th, 2013, 04:11 PM
ACV always brings out reddish tints in my hair. I like to use rice vinegar instead.

magfish
October 18th, 2013, 06:51 PM
I don't know why there are so many types of vinegar. I did a rinse with ACV tonight and the smell was definitely better than white so I'll stick to it, but I've got naturally very dark hair so any colour change doesn't matter at all to me.

Crumpet
October 19th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Nothing AFAIK, I suspect it's the marketing and spin from the alternative therapy field that apple cider vinegar and extra virgin coconut oil are better for internal use or living skin and this is illogically applied to dead hair. You may need a different dilution with different types or brands of vinegars to achieve a pH that your hair likes. Acetic acid is acetic acid and lauric acid is lauric acid, these are the workhorses, being dead hair cannot use many of the 'nutrients' skin can even if they were present in useful amounts.

Good to know! I went for Braggs because lots of people here recommended it (yes, I'm a sheep). I'd like to switch to white when I'm done with it as it has darkened my hair a bit and I'd like to bring my highlights back! My hair seems to like it. I didn't do ACV rinses for about two weeks while I was catnipping a lot and then I did one yesterday. My hair seemed happy!

CurlyMopTop
October 20th, 2013, 06:15 AM
I recently rediscovered ACV. The rinses recommended here never did anything for me. Then I found a stronger mix recommended online (for scalp issues). I tried it for itchy scalp and buildup. My hair had never been soooo soft and manageable! The mix was 1/3 cup ACV and 1/3 cup warm water. Apply to scalp and massage in. Then the length and ends. Let sit for 5 min. Rinse with warm water, then use your regular shampoo. I loved it so much I'm using it again today. If you've never been one for acidic rinses, try this. :D

Anje
October 20th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I'm another who pretty much figures that acetic acid is acetic acid, so use what you like best. I'm cheap, so I tend to go for white vinegar if/when it strikes my fancy to use it. (I don't tend to feel it makes a big difference with my hair and scalp, but I use it occasionally to help minimize mineral buildup, as the local water is extremely hard. It's also good to use to prevent/remove mineral buildup on the bathroom fixtures!)

ACV is noted for imparting some reddish tones, so people who don't want those are advised to use something else.