PDA

View Full Version : Look at posting dates, people

spidermom
October 1st, 2013, 12:33 PM
Somebody keeps reanimating old threads to lurch around the forums like zombies long after their time has passed. If an old thread is about ongoing problems, like how to moisturize dry ends or prevent split ends - sure, reply to the thread and bring it into the current forum again. But if the thread is about a certain event that happened to a certain person more than a year ago, let it rest in peace. Please!

patienceneeded
October 1st, 2013, 12:38 PM
I agree completely. Check the date on the original post and the last post in a thread. If they are not even remotely current, do not reply!

Flor
October 1st, 2013, 01:02 PM
Finally someone said it.

Wildcat Diva
October 1st, 2013, 01:04 PM
It's the zombie apocolapse! Finally! I've prepped food and plenty of weaponry. Do hair Kitanas count?

battles
October 1st, 2013, 01:24 PM
Amen.. Just stick to the first few pages, if you're going to reply. Please.

Anje
October 1st, 2013, 01:46 PM
:brains: Someone had to use that smiley, right?

melusine963
October 1st, 2013, 01:51 PM
Don't threads get locked/archived after a certain number of years have passed? It would be handy if the mods shortened that time, provided no-one has updated a thread in, say, a year or two. Just my :twocents:.

intrigued
October 1st, 2013, 01:52 PM
I hope this thread goes a really long time without posts then someone bumps it.

excentricat
October 1st, 2013, 02:06 PM
I hope this thread goes a really long time without posts then someone bumps it.

But wouldn't it be ok to bump this one, since it will probably be an ongoing problem? :P

intrigued
October 1st, 2013, 02:23 PM
Touche. I don't think I've seen a forum yet where this wasn't a problem. Every once in a while someone is bound to be searching a specific topic and forget how far out of date range they've gotten. Side note, the necro on the offending thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=76468&page=4&p=2529441&viewfull=1#post2529441) was actually totally aware of the date, and I would say was a perfectly ok post. Someone with a similar situation looking for an update on the OP. Looks like they were curious because they might have a similar outcome.

spidermom
October 1st, 2013, 03:01 PM
Intrigued, that was only the most recent in a long procession of old threads regarding old events lurching back to life.

I didn't think of checking dates when I was a newbie and was so eager to participate in my very first forum that I pulled a few threads from the crypt myself. Somebody had to tell me that wasn't appropriate forum behavior.

Neecola
October 1st, 2013, 03:04 PM
I've noticed this too! And some replies are "your hair looks great" or something along those lines and the picture links have long since been removed from the OP. Strange.

shutterpillar
October 1st, 2013, 04:06 PM
Everyone once in a while is fine, specifically for threads that contain useful information that can benefit people for years to come. If they are asking about the OP, that seems reasonable (private messages are also a good idea for that) but when you have the same person reviving old threads multiple times per week to write a short generic response that has been mentioned previously in the same thread (which is usually the case) then it just makes me wonder if they are just looking to rack up post tally or something. I don't understand it, I suppose. It's slightly annoying when there are new threads with current dilemmas that get bumped to the second page and forgotten because of this.

prettyinpink
October 1st, 2013, 04:38 PM
Maybe someone had a question for the poster. maybe someone saw it and thought it was new. (i never check the dates, who does?) maybe someone thought it was a good thread and wanted to bring it to life. maybe they are new and are confused. maybe they wanted to comment on an old thread rather than to make a new one.
not to be rude, but this thread is kinda rude. i think we all have the right to comment on whatever thread we like

AmberLouise
October 1st, 2013, 04:48 PM
Honestly as long as you are able to reply to the thread (as in it's not archived) then I see nothing wrong with doing so. Also I agree with prettyinpink that this thread is kind of rude.

Nique1202
October 1st, 2013, 05:14 PM
I don't think this thread is rude at all. For the most part, the posts that have been revived in the last while have been resolved, and the revival/bump comments are not productive to the conversation anyway. Asking for updates from the OP if the thread didn't have a resolution is one thing, but just commenting for the sake of commenting and bumping the thread up is really frustrating on a board that's as busy as the Mane Forum is in the first place.

The archive time should definitely be moved up because there are posts that have been revived here recently that haven't had posts in four years. That's an awfully long time, surely nobody would argue with that?

PrairieRose
October 1st, 2013, 05:15 PM
There are most likely various simple explanations for this that added up.

Annibelle
October 1st, 2013, 05:20 PM
If it's a new member, then it can be confusing. I remember starting threads when I was new and people getting upset that I didn't piggyback off of an older thread about the same subject... and I recently responded to an old pole dancing thread to see if the members were still enjoying the exercise because I'm considering trying it... I hope I'm not one of the offending members. If I am, I'm sorry! :flower:

spidermom
October 1st, 2013, 05:24 PM
prettyinpink, everybody should check dates. Try to get into the habit. It really isn't very helpful when somebody was lamenting her bad haircut 4 years ago and people are posting to offer sympathy today. (this happened within the past 2-3 weeks) There's a limited amount of space in LHC, and if I'm getting bumped, as has been happening more often in the past month or so, I'd feel better to be bumped by current discussions rather than old ones.

battles
October 1st, 2013, 05:25 PM
If it's a new member, then it can be confusing. I remember starting threads when I was new and people getting upset that I didn't piggyback off of an older thread about the same subject... and I recently responded to an old pole dancing thread to see if the members were still enjoying the exercise because I'm considering trying it... I hope I'm not one of the offending members. If I am, I'm sorry! :flower:

I don't consider you one of them, Annibelle. I think it's mostly when someone bumps a thread from 2009 and the OP was wondering whether they should grow their bangs out or not.. That's my take on it, at least. :) I think bumping threads that are still relevant is great, but when the OP probably isn't even around or made up their mind years ago it does get a little silly.

I do not think this thread is rude. I think filling the front page with threads that are no longer relevant in any way is rude, to be honest.

cheetahfast
October 1st, 2013, 05:29 PM
prettyinpink, everybody should check dates. Try to get into the habit. It really isn't very helpful when somebody was lamenting her bad haircut 4 years ago and people are posting to offer sympathy today. (this happened within the past 2-3 weeks) There's a limited amount of space in LHC, and if I'm getting bumped, as has been happening more often in the past month or so, I'd feel better to be bumped by current discussions rather than old ones.

I agree too! Also I do not think this thread is rude at all :shrug:.

Annibelle I doubt you'd be considered in this.

Thinthondiel
October 1st, 2013, 05:34 PM
I agree. And I usually assume that the threads that are on the front page are either new or one of those that are long-running and still relevant, so I sometimes start reading through a thread and spend some time on it before realising that I've been wasting my time on reading through an old thread that there's no point in replying to.

prettyinpink
October 1st, 2013, 05:53 PM
spidermom, i will comment on an old thread if i want to. i dont just sit around all day doing so, but if i want to revive an old thread or have a question, i will not hesitate posting. There is no rule saying i cant. (:

Brattina88
October 1st, 2013, 06:04 PM
I'm super new, and I spend waaay more time reading than posting. I try to remember to look at dates... If I'm guilty of this, or annoying someone, I hope that person would just send me a quick friendly PM me or something ;) :) :)

LAG93
October 1st, 2013, 06:05 PM
spidermom, i will comment on an old thread if i want to. i dont just sit around all day doing so, but if i want to revive an old thread or have a question, i will not hesitate posting. There is no rule saying i cant. (:

I don't think that spidermom meant that you can't revive threads, just that you need to make sure it is relevant and maybe something you had a question on that could help you others as well. The issue is when people comment on an old thread that is irrelevant now, like if someone had a time pressing question about hair, and it was resolved a while ago, like "should I dye my hair?" And the question was resolved, the person ended up dying their hair, and someone then comments a year later saying something like "oh yeah that color is good". It's just irrelevant now. And by doing this the board is filled with old pointless threads, and new issues are lost and never replied to

ETA: also when it's the same person doing it for several old threads commenting short responses, it just becomes spam. If someone does it on accident once or twice it's not as bad as simply spamming old threads

ouseljay
October 1st, 2013, 06:12 PM
It amuses/frustrates me when it's an old Friendship forum thread about someone's relationship or the like. I remember seeing (at least) one in which the poster had a relationship dilemma that eventually got resolved, and a bump a few years later along the lines of "dump the jerk!" that set off a few pages of fresh, and now irrelevant, advice.

I'm honestly not sure how those kinds of old threads get dredged up.

If you're bumping an old thread to ask a question or make a comment on a general issue, more power to you. If you're bumping to comment on a very specific situation (relationship, hair cut, lost pet) do please check the dates and make sure it's still relevant.

Wildcat Diva
October 1st, 2013, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I just bumped a thread on the orchid bun, because... well I did an orchid bun that I liked and I wanted to put it somewhere relevant. It was two years since the last posting, and I did try to find the most relevant thread. This is hard sometimes if there's not an "official" thread.

However, this seems different from a thread long silent about, hey, my pet had to be rushed to the hospital. Two years ago.... "um... is your pet okay?" "I hope everything turns out all right!" I guess it's fine that people CAN do it, it's just annoying to me and makes me want to facepalm. But, I guess it takes lots of facepalming to make the world go round every day, right?

NataschaB.
October 1st, 2013, 06:14 PM
I totally agree :)

kmcg
October 1st, 2013, 06:23 PM
Oy, I'm newish and I hope I'm not to blame for some of these offenses (as she goes back and nervously checks her posts). Yes, I can agree that PM to the unaware are appreciated. Now which 'smiley' is the shame face icon?

neko_kawaii
October 1st, 2013, 06:36 PM
I can't imagine how long it takes of reading backwards in any of the forums to find something that is years old. At that point wouldn't you KNOW that you are looking at old stuff?

In the Main Forum just now I clicked straight through to page 100 and got posts from Feb 2013. How many pages back to you have to go before you begin to be YEARS in the past?

I understand when someone searches for a topic and contributes to an old thread. We have ongoing threads that have been active for years and sometimes they see a flurry of activity and then they lie dormant till a need for them comes up again.

Sometimes people search for a specific topic and have something to contribute to it. Great!

But if the topic is one of looking for personal advice and all the new poster has to offer is along the lines of "good luck" or "I like your hair" and they clearly only read the first post and didn't skim through the rest of the thread to find out if the issue was resolved then I am a bit irritated at them for bumping a current topic off the front page. And then other posters who aren't digging through past threads see the bumped thread as "new" and they dont look at the dates because why would an old resolved thread be on the front page?

By all means, bump whatever thread you want, however you want, but if you make a habit of it, don't be surprised if someone comments on it. There are many excellent ongoing topics and no need to bump old resolved topics without good reason.

ExpectoPatronum
October 1st, 2013, 06:44 PM
It amuses/frustrates me when it's an old Friendship forum thread about someone's relationship or the like. I remember seeing (at least) one in which the poster had a relationship dilemma that eventually got resolved, and a bump a few years later along the lines of "dump the jerk!" that set off a few pages of fresh, and now irrelevant, advice.

I'm honestly not sure how those kinds of old threads get dredged up.

If you're bumping an old thread to ask a question or make a comment on a general issue, more power to you. If you're bumping to comment on a very specific situation (relationship, hair cut, lost pet) do please check the dates and make sure it's still relevant.

I don't know about others who've revived old threads, but a lot of the time a google search for a topic will bring you to older threads here. While I'm fairly certain I've avoided posting in really old threads, I can see how people searching for an answer to something might read the thread and reply without paying attention to dates. I've searched for information on different topics and the first link would bring me to a thread that was more than 2 or 3 years old.

In2wishin
October 1st, 2013, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I just bumped a thread on the orchid bun, because... well I did an orchid bun that I liked and I wanted to put it somewhere relevant. It was two years since the last posting, and I did try to find the most relevant thread. This is hard sometimes if there's not an "official" thread.

However, this seems different from a thread long silent about, hey, my pet had to be rushed to the hospital. Two years ago.... "um... is your pet okay?" "I hope everything turns out all right!" I guess it's fine that people CAN do it, it's just annoying to me and makes me want to facepalm. But, I guess it takes lots of facepalming to make the world go round every day, right?

You have summed up the difference very well.

Nae
October 1st, 2013, 06:48 PM
I guess I don't see this thread as any ruder than sending PMs. Yeah, bumping old threads is generally frowned upon on this forum, it just seems silly to comment on a thread where someone is asking if they should get a haircut back in 2008. Yeah. Pretty sure that they figured it out by now.

It happens occasionally, and every once in a while is okay but it certainly has been prevalent lately. Esh.

Nae
October 1st, 2013, 06:52 PM
I don't know about others who've revived old threads, but a lot of the time a google search for a topic will bring you to older threads here. While I'm fairly certain I've avoided posting in really old threads, I can see how people searching for an answer to something might read the thread and reply without paying attention to dates. I've searched for information on different topics and the first link would bring me to a thread that was more than 2 or 3 years old.

That is just it though. Old hair care topics aren't the issue, it is all the personal stuff. Should I dye my hair? Should I break up with my boyfriend? Why does my husband act like this? My mom is in the hospital......etc.

People will always want to know how to make a perimeter braid, and old topics about the merits of different products are perfectly fine. Game threads are fine! So much of it is fine, but some of the zombie threads lately make no sense. You know what I mean?

fairview
October 1st, 2013, 06:57 PM
I think it it is great that they know how to use the search function. Now if they would just create a new thread if after researching their challenge and not finding an answer rather than responding. IMO 99% of the questions asked have probably been already answered somewhere along the life of the forum. I've left a lot of forums simply because of the number of repetitively asked and already answered questions were so frequent it had become frustrating. If there are particular threads that have proved to have value over the course of the years, I think they need to be added as stickies and locked. But this ain't my forum and I don't make the rules.

Anje
October 1st, 2013, 07:01 PM
There's some discussion currently on whether we might want to have a limited-bumping policy like many other forms have. We don't automatically archive threads as a forum because that'd just be a crazy amount of busywork. (The archives you see all date from before the Great Crash of 2008, where LHC went dark for a couple months.)

IMO, there's a basic reasonableness metric here. If you are asking questions on the same topic or want an update, great, power to you. If you've got new information that someone might find informative, post away! If you just want to add flattery to a pretty picture, do it while the person still recalls having done that hairdo, please, not when the person hasn't visited the forum for 3 years. You get the idea.

Mod-ly note: let's keep things friendly, here. No finger-pointing or accusations. We don't currently have a policy, so no one has violated any rules.

kmcg
October 1st, 2013, 07:15 PM
I think it it is great that they know how to use the search function. Now if they would just create a new thread if after researching their challenge and not finding an answer rather than responding. IMO 99% of the questions asked have probably been already answered somewhere along the life of the forum. I've left a lot of forums simply because of the number of repetitively asked and already answered questions were so frequent it had become frustrating. If there are particular threads that have proved to have value over the course of the years, I think they need to be added as stickies and locked. But this ain't my forum and I don't make the rules.
I hear that. Stickies for re occuring information seem like a good idea. Maybe newbies (myself included) need a sticky on how to best use the search engine considering there are ways to place limits on how far back you search. Admittedly, I get frustrated when I can't find the info I want and simply type it in google and add 'long hair community' after the search phrase. Although, most of the time the threads it pulls up are from the archives anyway.

Thinthondiel
October 1st, 2013, 07:32 PM
I don't think stickies would be a good solution for this forum... there are so many different topics on here that if we wanted stickies for every topic that a lot of people might otherwise ask about, there would probably be several pages of stickies. Which would mean that you'd have to go back several pages to find the newer threads, which would probably lead to fewer responses on those threads.

ETA: A very limited number of stickies wouldn't be so bad, of course, but then the mods would have to decide on a few threads that they would deem more "important" than others in terms of information, and that may be a near impossible task. And even if they did, they wouldn't have nearly enough stickies to avoid the problem of people not finding the information they're looking for and creating new threads.

WoolSweater
October 1st, 2013, 07:42 PM
Oops, I feel this is about me. I posted on a year old thread yesterday, because I was trying the original poster's method of lightening hair. I'm sorry, I didn't realize it would upset so many. 8(

WoolSweater
October 1st, 2013, 07:44 PM
(^ Sorry...ergh.. can't edit yet! I *knew* it was a year old thread when I posted, but I also thought it would be silly to create a whole new thread when one about what I was doing already existed... so there was my reasoning for doing it. Again, I'm sorry! :couch: )

Wildcat Diva
October 1st, 2013, 07:44 PM
Nah, I don't think that's it, Wool...

I think most people can look at a response and tell if I new response to an old thread is relevant or not. Don't freak out.

cheetahfast
October 1st, 2013, 07:49 PM
(^ Sorry...ergh.. can't edit yet! I *knew* it was a year old thread when I posted, but I also thought it would be silly to create a whole new thread when one about what I was doing already existed... so there was my reasoning for doing it. Again, I'm sorry! :couch: )

I saw the thread you revived and I don't think you did anything wrong. I actually was planning on trying that method but never did commit to it. I really don't think this is directed at any one person, but truthfully I mearly skim the forum and stick to the blogs when I can get on. BTW the orginal poster left LHC, but she did get great results. I remember privately conversing with her.

Wildcat Diva
October 1st, 2013, 07:51 PM
And it's really not right or wrong...

cheetahfast
October 1st, 2013, 07:55 PM
And it's really not right or wrong...

Yeah, I didn't mean what I said in that way.

WoolSweater
October 1st, 2013, 07:56 PM
I am not freaking out, I just would feel bad if I irked someone! No freaking out... I like rules... want to make sure I'm abiding by them!

To Cheetahfast, ooh, if you give it a go let me know how it went on the thread! And okay, I am now thinking I'm "in the clear". It's hard to draw a line on this sort of thing; one person may see a revived thread post as helpful, whereas another person may find it bothersome. Or the person who revived the thread may not realize the date... who knows...

cheetahfast
October 1st, 2013, 09:00 PM
To Cheetahfast, ooh, if you give it a go let me know how it went on the thread! And okay, I am now thinking I'm "in the clear". It's hard to draw a line on this sort of thing; one person may see a revived thread post as helpful, whereas another person may find it bothersome. Or the person who revived the thread may not realize the date... who knows...

I think I won't be since I am happy with my hair now. I was blonde for about 19 years and once I went redish I freaked out. I'm so happy with my color now that I wouldn't try it.

/thread derailing :lol:

There is no rule about thread bumping :shrug:.

0xalis
October 1st, 2013, 09:36 PM
It might be annoying, but please don't go off on or shame people that do it, because that's just rude. Posting on an old thread doesn't hurt anyone, even if it's bothersome. Do note this isn't directed at anyone in particular, I just feel it needs to be said.

caromarpie
October 2nd, 2013, 01:10 AM
I am new here to and hope I did not have a old tread. But I have to admit that I am looking at the date of the last post or I try to do it. I know for all new people it's easy to get carried away and wanting to participate but we have to remember that some of you were here before us and sometimes we have to let go of somes things and we will find answers elsewhere or maybe start something new .:confused:

furnival
October 2nd, 2013, 05:38 AM
But this is exactly it. Why would someone do a search for personal threads like "Do you like my new hair colour?" or "Should I trim?" that don't answer any questions?

It's more like they're browsing through the crypts of the forum and automatically firing off vapid comments without realising what they're doing.

Searching for threads on common topics instead of posting yet another one is sensible, bumping ancient personal threads is confusing, pointless and baffling.

CurlyMopTop
October 2nd, 2013, 05:56 AM
I've also noticed and it is ANNOYING! I usually only look at the first page when I visit. The only one I was happy about was the one that had instructions for the Amish braided hairstyle! No offense to anyone else intended, I've been the offender at one point in time I'm sure, and even participated accidentally due to not looking at the dates. So now it stands out like a sore thumb. If it's not relevant and no-one has anything to gain by dredging it up, leave it alone. I like to read and discuss current news, not news from several years ago. ;). Newbies, it's understandable, but this isn't a newbie.

WaitingSoLong
October 2nd, 2013, 06:03 AM
I have read somewhere that people who view TLHC on their phones tend to see the older posts. I wouldn't know why this matters though. I have tried to do TLHC via phone and it was way too tedious.

Bagginslover
October 2nd, 2013, 06:06 AM
I have read somewhere that people who view TLHC on their phones tend to see the older posts. I wouldn't know why this matters though. I have tried to do TLHC via phone and it was way too tedious.

I'm on my phone right now, and also in front of a computer, so I compared. Nope, exactly the same!

furnival
October 2nd, 2013, 06:12 AM

I don't have a computer- every post I make is from my phone. I've never had an issue with seeing older posts or being able to read dates.
And yes, it is tedious... I dream of having a computer one day... :(

neko_kawaii
October 2nd, 2013, 07:33 AM
I've done LHC on small phone like devices and the experience was exactly the same, only small and requiring a bit o zoom.

Night_Kitten
October 2nd, 2013, 07:39 AM
I sometimes checked the LHC from my phone while at uni (during a really boring lesson, lol) it's exactly the same as from the computer only with a much smaller screen...
Maybe it depends on the phone though, who knows...

Brattina88
October 2nd, 2013, 10:57 AM
I'm always on my ipad and they always seem like current threads :)
unless, of course, I'm searching through old posts lol

furnival
October 2nd, 2013, 11:30 AM
Nope, don't think we can blame it on a phone then :p

stachelbeere
October 2nd, 2013, 11:33 AM
well, I access TLHC with a kindle sometimes and even that doesn't show the older threads :P

patienceneeded
October 2nd, 2013, 11:54 AM
There is a big difference between bumping an older thread on say, Honey Lightening Techniques or the other massive threads about a topic that is still relevant but forgotten and bumping a thread from 2008 whose last post was IN 2008 and was entirely about whether or not the OP should grow out her bangs or not. One thread is still potentially relevant and could benefit lots of users. The other thread has no purpose anymore...the OP has probably cut and regrown bangs multiple times since 2008 and may not even be active on the forum anymore.

Just check the start date, read the OP's post and make an intelligent decision on whether or not the info/thread still has value. Heck - check the date of the last entry in the thread. If it's been a year (or 4) move on and don't reply.

WoolSweater
October 2nd, 2013, 06:58 PM
Dumb side note... when you all say "front page", do you mean the "what's new" button? Where you can see all the latest postings?

Also, back on track, you'd be surprised how many times TLHC comes up on a Google search. I've known about this site for years because some vague thing I'd look up would lead me to this website. And it *could* be one of those "should I grow out my layers?" or what not. So I can see how those can get dug up via search engine. Even Googling a Shampoo brand or something completely unrelated to hair could cause this site to pop up!

Tea Lady
October 2nd, 2013, 07:24 PM
I can't imagine how long it takes of reading backwards in any of the forums to find something that is years old. At that point wouldn't you KNOW that you are looking at old stuff?

In the Main Forum just now I clicked straight through to page 100 and got posts from Feb 2013. How many pages back to you have to go before you begin to be YEARS in the past?

I understand when someone searches for a topic and contributes to an old thread. We have ongoing threads that have been active for years and sometimes they see a flurry of activity and then they lie dormant till a need for them comes up again. [snip]

This! Tea Lady

Magalo
October 2nd, 2013, 08:24 PM
Most of the time, people find old threads when they search on google, I'm pretty sure.

If I search "tying braid longhaircommunity" here's what google gives me...

The Long Hair Community - braid tie-off - damaging Nov 20, 2005 - 15 posts
Safest hair tie for braid tassel? 15 posts 3 Dec 2006
Braiding Fine Hair 15 posts 27 Sep 2006
Where to tie off a braid on damaged hair? 10 posts 22 Jul 2006
Tying Braids (Plaits) with Embroidery Cotton 15 posts 9 Jan 2005

I don't mind when one person randomly bump a dead thread - either by accident or just because. What I'm really annoyed about is when you see the same person (I've seen 2-3 person doing this, and one of them do it constantly) bumping let's say, 12 threads from 2009. It clogs up the forum that is already moving pretty fast because there's so much members here. I wish the mods could do a big cleanup and just delete all threads that haven't been answered for a year. There's certainly a quick way to do this :/

In2wishin
October 2nd, 2013, 08:25 PM
I agree with the general consensus here: take a quick look and if the subject is still relevant, go for it.

One thing that makes me a little nervous about these kinds of threads is that they often don't get read by those who need to but ARE read by newbies who then become a bit scared about posting.

In2wishin
October 2nd, 2013, 08:28 PM
I don't mind when one person randomly bump a dead thread - either by accident or just because. What I'm really annoyed about is when you see the same person (I've seen 2-3 person doing this, and one of them do it constantly) bumping let's say, 12 threads from 2009. It clogs up the forum that is already moving pretty fast because there's so much members here. I wish the mods could do a big cleanup and just delete all threads that haven't been answered for a year. There's certainly a quick way to do this :/

Locking them but keeping them available to read, then delete after two years, might be a good idea.

Crumpet
October 2nd, 2013, 08:41 PM
I'm Switzerland on this issue...but does anyone notice that the zombies have worsened even more since this thread was posted?

Curioser and curioser...

WoolSweater
October 2nd, 2013, 08:46 PM
Where is everyone seeing these zombies? On the "what's new" bit? Or somewhere else?

Wildcat Diva
October 2nd, 2013, 08:50 PM
They're everywhere! Aim for the brain, it's the only way to put them down!
*wields hairtanas menacingly*

WoolSweater
October 2nd, 2013, 09:04 PM
I would smite them if I knew how all of you can tell it's an old thread. :confused: All I see are the latest post dates by the thread title!

Islandgrrl
October 2nd, 2013, 09:05 PM

It's one thing to bump a single dead thread without realizing that it's ancient and abandoned. It's quite another to purposefully bump thread after thread with inane, irrelevant chatter just to boost your post count. I don't think that borders on rude, it just is rude. It makes it more difficult to find the current, relevant threads that are in progress and it wastes people's valuable time. I know I don't have unlimited time to spend on the forums. I might actually like to read what's currently going on here instead of wading through one zombie thread after the other in frustration.

Chromis
October 2nd, 2013, 09:44 PM
Dumb side note... when you all say "front page", do you mean the "what's new" button? Where you can see all the latest postings?

Also, back on track, you'd be surprised how many times TLHC comes up on a Google search. I've known about this site for years because some vague thing I'd look up would lead me to this website. And it *could* be one of those "should I grow out my layers?" or what not. So I can see how those can get dug up via search engine. Even Googling a Shampoo brand or something completely unrelated to hair could cause this site to pop up!

The Friendship Forum shouldn't show up on a Google search since you have to be signed in to see it actually. Now the "should I get layers or bangs" threads would still show up, but the boyfriend/puppy issues threads would not.

jeanniet
October 2nd, 2013, 10:02 PM
It might be annoying, but please don't go off on or shame people that do it, because that's just rude. Posting on an old thread doesn't hurt anyone, even if it's bothersome. Do note this isn't directed at anyone in particular, I just feel it needs to be said.

The thing is, it's not only bothersome, but it means that people who may be looking for help end up with their posts pushed back beyond the first page. Not everyone reads beyond the first page, or uses the New Posts function. If you're someone who needs advice, you don't want to be bumped by an ancient thread.

TheLuckyLurker
October 2nd, 2013, 10:04 PM
I guess I don't see why this is such a big deal to some because nobody makes me read any thread on this forum, old or new. And as for wanting to focus on reading new, relevant threads (which I understand perfectly), well... look at the posting date. That's what I do.

That, to me, seems a lot more mature than creating a thread to call out someone (without actually naming names, granted) for doing something that annoys you despite not breaking any rules. Just my own opinion.

stachelbeere
October 3rd, 2013, 01:05 AM
I'm Switzerland on this issue...but does anyone notice that the zombies have worsened even more since this thread was posted?

Curioser and curioser...

I'm Switzerland too - but judging :P Two words. Genius trolling...

Quixii
October 3rd, 2013, 01:37 AM
In my mind, bumping old threads falls under the KNIT rule. (Kind, necessary, informative, truthful.) Zombie-fying an ancient thread is not necessary or informative.

furnival
October 3rd, 2013, 04:15 AM
In my mind, bumping old threads falls under the KNIT rule. (Kind, necessary, informative, truthful.) Zombie-fying an ancient thread is not necessary or informative.
Yup. And in the case of threads where the original picture has long since been deleted and a poster resurrects it by making a statement along the lines of "Your hair looks fine to me," it's not true either. :brains:

Bagginslover
October 3rd, 2013, 05:11 AM

People are referring to the front/first page as the first page you see when you click through to each forum section. If you look at the top of this thread you'll see

'Forum-Discussion Forums-The "Mane" Forum-Look at posting dates, people'

'Forum' means your in the forum area of the site.
'discussion forums' means you're in the discussion sub area.
'The "Mane" forum' is the board area.
'Look at oposting dates, people' is the thread.

If you click on any of those bits, it'll take you to that section. If you click on Mane Forum, that will take to you the first page of the Mane foraun board, thats what people are referring to ;)

lapushka
October 3rd, 2013, 05:37 AM
Yup. And in the case of threads where the original picture has long since been deleted and a poster resurrects it by making a statement along the lines of "Your hair looks fine to me," it's not true either. :brains:

I get what you're saying, and that's what's really got me puzzled. I mean... how?

furnival
October 3rd, 2013, 05:49 AM
I get what you're saying, and that's what's really got me puzzled. I mean... how?

Maybe we have a case of automatic sleep-posting. :eye:

lapushka
October 3rd, 2013, 05:53 AM
Maybe we have a case of automatic sleep-posting. :eye:

That could be it. :lol:

WaitingSoLong
October 3rd, 2013, 06:16 AM
Yeah I still don't see it but I don't frequent the Mane forum. I usually just check subscribed threads and then blogs, and if everything there is looked at and I still want to browse, I start with the OT forums. I, too, rarely go back more than a page.

lapushka
October 3rd, 2013, 06:20 AM
Yeah I still don't see it but I don't frequent the Mane forum. I usually just check subscribed threads and then blogs, and if everything there is looked at and I still want to browse, I start with the OT forums. I, too, rarely go back more than a page.

I browse by clicking "new posts", so... inevitably the threads that have recently been revived all popped up, one after the other.

Sylvestrix
October 3rd, 2013, 07:20 AM
I agree with the general consensus here: take a quick look and if the subject is still relevant, go for it.

One thing that makes me a little nervous about these kinds of threads is that they often don't get read by those who need to but ARE read by newbies who then become a bit scared about posting. Bolding mine.

This.

And it's not just newbies- I haven't posted here for a few months now, and it's mainly because the list of things I was desperately trying not to do in case I annoyed anybody got way too long. Writing even a simple post became such a major source of anxiety that it just stopped being worth it. Now of course, I'm not saying everyone reacts like that, I know mine is a bit of an extreme case. But it can be a bit off putting, and whilst I do agree that it's hard not to get irritated by things that are, well, irritating, it's also hard for some people who may actually have nothing to do with the events that inspire posts like these not to take it to heart anyway.

On the actual topic of zombie threads, I have very little to say, since I usually work off the 'What's New' page and have probably ended up contributing to one before. Just wanted to pop in my thoughts about these kinds of threads.

MonaMayfair
October 3rd, 2013, 07:26 AM
I browse by clicking "new posts", so... inevitably the threads that have recently been revived all popped up, one after the other.

Me too, and it's extremely annoying. I've started to always look at the date when the thread was started before I click on it now. I don't even get why anyone WOULD post on an old thread, at least not if it's more than 6 months old.
And why revive the ones that were pointless in the first place, all these "how do you part your hair?" and "what are you wearing?" or "answer yes or no to the previous question" Some people obviously have way too much time on their hands...

Macaroni
October 3rd, 2013, 10:43 AM
This thread has gone to 9 pages, that's amusing.

leslissocool
October 3rd, 2013, 11:30 AM
I don't see the big deal on it really, it doesn't bother me. I usually only look at the new-er posts, but even a personal problem often I'd like to find out what happened and if it got resolved. I'm nosy that way.

I don't see how it gets in the way of newer threads, I don't comment on everything but I browse and see if something calls my attention be it new threads or old ones. :shrug:

Skade
October 3rd, 2013, 12:59 PM

One thing that makes me a little nervous about these kinds of threads is that they often don't get read by those who need to but ARE read by newbies who then become a bit scared about posting.

I don't see the big deal on it really, it doesn't bother me. I usually only look at the new-er posts, but even a personal problem often I'd like to find out what happened and if it got resolved. I'm nosy that way.

I don't see how it gets in the way of newer threads, I don't comment on everything but I browse and see if something calls my attention be it new threads or old ones. :shrug:

Agree with Leslisocool and In2wishes.

PetuniaBlossom
October 3rd, 2013, 02:12 PM
Agree with Leslisocool and In2wishes.

And so do I, also with Skade.

So many things in the world to be upset about. Shut down governments, children starving, political prisoners rotting in jails, chemical warfare, etc. Or you could choose to dump on people posting on older threads. Where does your energy go?

jeanniet
October 3rd, 2013, 02:21 PM
And so do I, also with Skade.

So many things in the world to be upset about. Shut down governments, children starving, political prisoners rotting in jails, chemical warfare, etc. Or you could choose to dump on people posting on older threads. Where does your energy go?

In that case, LHC and long hair in general is somewhat frivolous! No, it's not a huge deal, and I don't really start new threads so I have nothing to get bumped back, but I can see where it could be bothersome to someone looking for advice, unless they keep bumping their own thread to keep it in front.

furnival
October 3rd, 2013, 03:02 PM

With terrible things like those going on, why are any of us wasting our energy posting on a hair forum?

Annibelle
October 3rd, 2013, 03:04 PM
Me too, and it's extremely annoying. I've started to always look at the date when the thread was started before I click on it now. I don't even get why anyone WOULD post on an old thread, at least not if it's more than 6 months old.
And why revive the ones that were pointless in the first place, all these "how do you part your hair?" and "what are you wearing?" or "answer yes or no to the previous question" Some people obviously have way too much time on their hands...

FYI, the "what are you wearing?" thread is not an old one that's been revived... it's one that's been kept alive since the beginning because many of us do not find it pointless. Some of us like to get wardrobe inspiration, and that thread is a source of entertainment and insight. Just because you think a thread is stupid doesn't mean it's "pointless," especially when many of us do find it useful... :twocents:

neko_kawaii
October 3rd, 2013, 04:04 PM
Up thread there was some suggestion for stickies but there are ever so many ongoing threads that deserve a sticky treatment perhaps what we need instead is a single thread with a list of links. I frequently find myself recommending the braid and bun threads to people asking for style inspiration and I make a (haphazard) use of the custom subscription folders to keep track of the things I'm following so I can find them again ages later if they have become dormant and I can't remember enough of the title in order to search for them.

I know there are lots of other ongoing discussions that are outside of my interest so I don't ever click on them but I bet collectively we could put together a pretty awesome list!

On a similar topic, much of the newbie info contains dead links or is otherwise inaccessible.

I'm crazy busy for the next week or so but I'll gladly lend a hand once this passes.

Breaks over, back on my head!

renia22
October 3rd, 2013, 05:45 PM
This thread has gone to 9 pages, that's amusing.

You know what will be even funnier, is if people keep posting in it, several years from now :)

jessj48
October 3rd, 2013, 06:25 PM
Up thread there was some suggestion for stickies but there are ever so many ongoing threads that deserve a sticky treatment perhaps what we need instead is a single thread with a list of links. I frequently find myself recommending the braid and bun threads to people asking for style inspiration and I make a (haphazard) use of the custom subscription folders to keep track of the things I'm following so I can find them again ages later if they have become dormant and I can't remember enough of the title in order to search for them.

I know there are lots of other ongoing discussions that are outside of my interest so I don't ever click on them but I bet collectively we could put together a pretty awesome list!

On a similar topic, much of the newbie info contains dead links or is otherwise inaccessible.

I'm crazy busy for the next week or so but I'll gladly lend a hand once this passes.

Breaks over, back on my head!

I agree with the idea for an "Index" sticky containing links to threads on common/important topics. I've seen this method work on other forums as long as there are enough mods with time to update it fairly regularly.

WilfredAllen
October 3rd, 2013, 09:55 PM
I agree with the idea for an "Index" sticky containing links to threads on common/important topics. I've seen this method work on other forums as long as there are enough mods with time to update it fairly regularly.
I agree that this would be a good idea. I often unsuccessfully search for topics that I've seen before and now have something to contribute to them or something i need from them

MonaMayfair
October 4th, 2013, 06:57 AM
FYI, the "what are you wearing?" thread is not an old one that's been revived... it's one that's been kept alive since the beginning because many of us do not find it pointless. Some of us like to get wardrobe inspiration, and that thread is a source of entertainment and insight. Just because you think a thread is stupid doesn't mean it's "pointless," especially when many of us do find it useful... :twocents:
Haha I've never looked at it, but it sounds really creepy! LMFAO!

UltraBella
October 4th, 2013, 08:02 AM

The thread you are referring to is awesome.

Nique1202
October 4th, 2013, 08:18 AM

This kind of comment irritates me a lot. It's like when people say, "Well, sure, you feel bad, but think about all the people who have it worse." Just because someone else has less than I do, or has more problems than I do, doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to be upset about the things that bother me.

Maybe some of us come here in between trying to do things about "real" issues, to relax and let go and talk about something lighter to destress. Maybe some of us aren't confident enough or are too busy to be activists. Maybe some of us just don't care enough about things that we feel we can't change. The point here? It doesn't matter.

Yes, there are "bigger" issues, but that doesn't mean that this isn't a real issue that people have opinions on. That doesn't mean we should ignore something that irritates us.

Anje
October 4th, 2013, 09:16 AM
I agree, and I'll see if I can't work on that and/or the "Useful links" notification to get them up to date, in the next several weeks. In the meantime... real life. You know...

Annibelle
October 4th, 2013, 10:36 AM

Laugh your *** off at us all you'd like, but like UltraBella said, the thread awesome. :shrug:

Wildcat Diva
October 4th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I think maybe the "so...what are you wearing?" vibe of the title is what Mona may be chuckling at. Not what's actually on the thread.

TiaKitty
October 4th, 2013, 01:16 PM
That's what I got out of Mona's post, too... More of heavy breather on the other end of the telephone line kind of "What are you wearing?" :eyebrows:

I know it is an awesome thread! Fun to see everyone's style. :D

Carolyn
October 4th, 2013, 02:54 PM
This kind of comment irritates me a lot. It's like when people say, "Well, sure, you feel bad, but think about all the people who have it worse." Just because someone else has less than I do, or has more problems than I do, doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to be upset about the things that bother me.

Maybe some of us come here in between trying to do things about "real" issues, to relax and let go and talk about something lighter to destress. Maybe some of us aren't confident enough or are too busy to be activists. Maybe some of us just don't care enough about things that we feel we can't change. The point here? It doesn't matter.

Yes, there are "bigger" issues, but that doesn't mean that this isn't a real issue that people have opinions on. That doesn't mean we should ignore something that irritates us.Thank you for saying that. I agree. I don't think we need to chastise each other about how we spend our time. I come here for fun, relaxation, and information and also to enjoy the company of like minded people.

At TBB if someone raises a long dead thread about a personal issue we close the thread. If it's a topic of general interest and information about beauty or hair we leave it open. We had quite a spree of those kinds of postings at TBB a while back.

Macaroni
October 4th, 2013, 04:42 PM
You know what will be even funnier, is if people keep posting in it, several years from now :)

this is extra
:applause

RavennaNight
October 4th, 2013, 07:48 PM
:lol: This is too funny.

If you really think about it, often there are threads about how people just don't know how to use the search function, and how people should really utilize it more.

Well, there you have it! It looks like some folks have utilized the search function, and utilized it too well :lol: They found really old threads. I saw the one with the hair sticks from human ribs, but that's it.

:brains:

Not for nothing, a few years ago it was a running joke, and every now and again I would personally dig up an ancient, pointless thread, and use the zombie emoticon. I think I did it perennially on Halloween. :shrug:

battles
October 4th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Hey... What are you ladies wearing tonight? :eyebrows:

(Sorry!)

Wildcat Diva
October 4th, 2013, 08:53 PM
I'll never tell! You must use your imagination, darling.

cheetahfast
October 4th, 2013, 09:00 PM

(Sorry!)

I'll never tell! You must use your imagination, darling.

:rollin: :lol:

MonaMayfair
October 5th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I think maybe the "so...what are you wearing?" vibe of the title is what Mona may be chuckling at. Not what's actually on the thread.

Yes of course, that's what I meant. I would have thought that was pretty obvious... :D

In2wishin
October 5th, 2013, 09:53 AM

(Sorry!)

Are you thick?

(that one gave me the giggles first time I saw it and proves where my mind is)

Kwantslonghair
October 6th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Bumping up...........