PDA

View Full Version : does long hair feel thinner

norths
October 1st, 2013, 05:03 AM
All my life ive either had chin length or shoulder length hair. And my hair has always felt super thick. But now with my hair now at apl it feels alot thinner than what i am normally used to. Its doesnt fall much, althougha couple of months ago i had a mini freak out as it did seem alot more fallout was occuring, but now i feel as though i hardly notice any. Might have been a shampoo change- i went from sulfates and paraben free to common sulfates shampoo mainly to see what would happen if i changed, but it felt to harsh so im back to my old routine.

ANYWAYS, I am just curious if you have longer hair does it feel alot thinner/thicker to what you previously experienced. Do you experience alot of hair shedding and did it grow back thicker? What happens if youve changed hair products.

Bagginslover
October 1st, 2013, 05:18 AM
The ends may feel thinner, due to natural tapering, though I wouldn't expect it at that length. Are you treating your hair nicely in general?

jacqueline101
October 1st, 2013, 05:25 AM
Yes I did experience that. My hair as felt thinner as it grew from apl to bra strap. I think that's why I keep trimming and cutting. I think It's just a mental trick it grows just as thick but the length deceives us makes us think it's thinner. I have come to realize that if it's not shedding and visibly thinner then it should do alright growing. Another words if everything is going good then it's safe to grow to the next length.

Night_Kitten
October 1st, 2013, 05:46 AM
Maybe it's because you can't feel the thick pony-stub anymore when you gather it, so it feels less thick?
My ends trouble me because of the taper, but at the nape I didn't feel it was thicker or thinner as it grew longer as far as I remember... I had long hair twice before the current growing journey though, so maybe it's just something that takes getting used to?
Our minds can play funny tricks on us, so unless you see an increased shedding, it's probably just one of those tricks and nothing to worry about :)

Anje
October 1st, 2013, 08:02 AM
Another possibility is that the weight of your hair when it's longer is keeping your hair from fluffing outward as much. Quite a few curlies around here like wearing their hair longer for the weight, as it helps prevent 'triangle head'.

rose313
October 1st, 2013, 09:20 AM
Another possibility is that the weight of your hair when it's longer is keeping your hair from fluffing outward as much. Quite a few curlies around here like wearing their hair longer for the weight, as it helps prevent 'triangle head'.

This is true. My hair is very curly at APL, wavy at BSL, and only slightly wavy at waist. And it's only the bottom half that's wavy, the top is straight. It also feels thinner because it is just weighed down. This is one of the many reasons I wear my hair long, it's actually much easier for me to manage.

nobeltonya
October 1st, 2013, 12:42 PM
My ends are thinner than the rest, but is due to natural taper.. otherwise, it seems my ponytail circumference has increased since I let my hair grow.. I used to keep it above or right around my shoulders, so it was of medium thickness. But it wasn't until the last few years that it really seems to have thickened up nicely. And after like 1.5 years of experimentation, and a recent experiment basically being a disaster, I have discovered what my hair and scalp like. IE, what makes them look and feel healthy and normal, not itchy, dull or flat.. and idk if I shed more now than I used to (didn't really pay attention to it pre-LHC) but my sheds are much more noticeable now that they're like 3.5' long.. :disco:

AmyBeth
October 1st, 2013, 01:19 PM
I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging, but once I started using the advice I found here on LHC, my hair got thicker as it grew. My hair is not thick enough to write home about, but it is so very much thicker than it ever was before. It took about 6 months for me to think to myself how much thicker it is. But then I asked my daughter, who used to play with my hair when she was little, to feel my ponytail, and she was astonished at how much thicker it is. Then DH started noticing how much thicker it actually looks. When you take proper care of your hair, you will be able to maximize your genetic potential. Plus, it will be prettier, now matter how long or thick it is.

maegalcarwen
October 1st, 2013, 03:58 PM
It seems like, for me, that it's mostly a change of texture which creates the illusion of the change of texture. For me, chin length was super curly, now almost at BSL, its wavy-curly something, but not less thick.

chen bao jun
October 2nd, 2013, 09:12 AM
Seconding the information about the texture changing with length if you are a curly.
I have an aunt who had waist to hip length hair all her life and it was wavy. Then she got a short hair cut --and it was so curly, it was basically an afro.
When she grew it back, it was wavy again.
another aunt always had long natural curls and was ill for a long time before she died and they cut her hair off in the nursing home, I guess. I was startled to see that she also had an afro in her coffin. It changed her appearance a lot--I was not sure in the right place at first and that she was the right person.

BlondeWavyGal
October 2nd, 2013, 09:15 AM
My hair seemed thinner shorter, and thicker at APL. Then a bit thinner at BSL, Which indicates its more to do with the weight of the hair than the actual thickness.
You could be shedding, which means less hair and less general volume and thickness, But you're probably just not used to this weight of hair yet. As it gets longer it will start feeling..
Different. Really good though, so you shouldn't worry about thinning out until you get a bit longer.

norths
October 9th, 2013, 01:45 AM
My hair seemed thinner shorter, and thicker at APL. Then a bit thinner at BSL, Which indicates its more to do with the weight of the hair than the actual thickness.
You could be shedding, which means less hair and less general volume and thickness, But you're probably just not used to this weight of hair yet. As it gets longer it will start feeling..
Different. Really good though, so you shouldn't worry about thinning out until you get a bit longer.
by weight you mean it feels heavier, like the longer the hair the more it weighs it down? or something like that

I dont want it thinner hair, i want really thick hair. I dont understand why some people want to thin their hair off to make it thinner. I rekon thick hair look beautiful.

Tini'sNewHair
October 9th, 2013, 08:34 PM
When my hair was at chin length, it felt super thick, then when it got closer to the bra strap, it was a bit wavy in parts and now at almost midback, its very straight. I love it now :)