PDA

View Full Version : Sleep hairstyles

Cherry*Tree
September 30th, 2013, 11:07 PM
I need a hairstyle that I can sleep in. I usually do a braid, but they make my hair frizzy even when I use a wide toothed comb (not heat damage) and topnots (that's how it's spelled, right?) make my hair poofy and tangled.

Leeloo
September 30th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Sleep cap with loose hair or bun inside will help with frizz

Cherry*Tree
September 30th, 2013, 11:20 PM
But wouldn't it generate friction?

DancingQueen
October 1st, 2013, 12:18 AM
I just flip my hair over the pillow at night. This way my curls are intact in the morning, and I don't have to be annoyed by a hairstyle or a sleeping cap. You can always find a silk pillowcase if you are worried about friction, I use that as well. :)

bananahanna
October 1st, 2013, 12:35 AM
Where on earth does one find a silk sleep cap, or should I make one? Of so, where do you find the material? I have barely dusting shoulder length hair and cannot do anything with it yet

FancySweatpants
October 1st, 2013, 12:51 AM
Seconding the sleep cap idea. I recently switched from a braid to loose in a cap and the difference upon waking is remarkable.

I am the Queen of Tossing & Turning, so my braid hair was always static-y mess. I was totally surprised that leaving my hair loose in a cap didn't cause lightning strikes across the bedroom ceiling all night! In fact, a little shake, toss, and finger comb leaves me presentable enough in the mornings to not scare the children.

I got the idea from watching Cinnamon Hair's Youtube video re: How to Wear Long Hair When Sleeping / Bedtime (http://youtu.be/OQPVMT8k9sE)

If it works for all that glorious hair, it is worth a shot!

Stray_mind
October 1st, 2013, 09:20 AM
Well, i use satin pillowcase and sleep with a bun or my hair loose. I used to find a lot of broken hair in my bed every morning when i used a different pillowcase, but now i don't find it anymore.

Leery
October 1st, 2013, 11:03 AM
I tie my hair into a large square of hemmed silk. It's similar to a sleeping cap, but much more secure. I tried crafting a bonnet but while I was satisfied with the results on my hair, I found that it wouldn't stay on through the night and that disrupted my sleep. In fact I'm so in love with my silk square that I almost always keep my hair in it when I'm at home or working out (though tied differently than the sleeping style). It's extremely comfortable and very protective.

sarahthegemini
October 1st, 2013, 11:13 AM
I originally bunned my hair and wore a sleep cap over the top. The last week-ish I've been putting my hair in a high ponytail on top of my head and wearing my sleep cap over it. I only have just past SL hair so some strands do slip out so I use a kirby grip.

redtuss
October 1st, 2013, 01:41 PM
Most of the time I just braid my hair into two english braids and sleep away. Sometimes I tie the two braids together with a no-metal elastic or wrap them around each other and tie off. If my hair is damp I braid and then put the braids in my silk sleeping cap and tie it off - the cap won't stay on my head for more then.. 3 minutes or so but I can use it to keep around a ponytail/braids/bun to protect the hair.
I have silk pillowcases so I don't feel that I always have to use the sleeping cap, I just do that to protect the pillowcases from having wet hair on them the entire night (and I don't like to put my cheek on a damp pillow..).

Panth
October 1st, 2013, 01:52 PM
Where on earth does one find a silk sleep cap, or should I make one? Of so, where do you find the material? I have barely dusting shoulder length hair and cannot do anything with it yet

I just answered this very same question on the Classic to Knee length thread, so I shall just copy-paste what I wrote there:

I have a handmade "sleep stocking". I bought 0.5m of (I think 60" wide) silk satin. I then folded it in half length-ways so the selvedges made the ends of the tube. I measured around my head (like where you'd put on a wide, soft-material headband - i.e. diagonally, covering the hairline in front and the nape in back) and added at least 2" plus seam allowance to this. I then calculated the difference between this measurement and 0.5m.

I made up the difference by cutting of a triangle from the bottom of my tube (i.e. tapering the tube on both sides) and then inserting it into the seam at the other end, to widen that end. Thus, the tube tapered down at one end and tapered up at the other but was 0.5m circumference in the middle. By doing it this way a) it is economical on fabric and b) you keep the selvedges at either end, so less hemming.

Sewing-wise, I just sewed the triangle into one end and then along the seam - both using French seams to protect the hair from the raw seam allowances (and vice versa). I then sewed the wide end to a soft, stretchy material headband using a zigzag stitch so that it would still stretch (I had to pleat the fabric onto the band a little). I sewed the band on so that the seam allowance is on the inside when the headband is flipped OVER the top of the fabric (so I have silk, not headband, touching my forehead).

One very important point is to ensure the thin end is still big enough to fit your hand into, so you can grab your hair/plait and pull it into the stocking when putting it on.

...umm. I don't know if those instructions made any sense, but I hope they help!

maegalcarwen
October 1st, 2013, 04:02 PM
Let me mention two things here. I'd probably have to buy a sleeping parachute, because normal hats and caps never fit me. Not even shower caps. Plus, I am sure it would annoy me to death. I am also a passionate toss-and-turner, so. Maybe time to invest in a silk pillow case?