PDA

View Full Version : Well water help.

morguebabe
September 30th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Hi everyone (AGAIN). Hope all is well.
I've recently moved into a place that has well water. Typically even after one wash while visiting a friend a friend my hair is wrecked. Currently my hair is taking a beating. It's dry and brittle on the ends (even a good hydrolyzed wheat protein treatment and oil treatment don't help). It's not black anymore but a combination of Special Effects Candy Apple Red and L'Oreal Magenta Hi-Lift, which has faded and rinsed out (very fast) into a rusty yellow/orange. My scalp is full of build up and oily.
We have a very very good filter system.... You can drink water straight from the tap it's not discolored and it's not smelly.
I'm rinsing my hair with Raw ACV and Bottled water as a final rinse to get the build up and well water out. I'm afraid to clarify often because of my color treated dry hair.
Any tips for those that live with well water as this is new to me.

fairview
September 30th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I think the first step would be to do or have someone conduct a comprehensive water test. You can send a sample for these tests but be aware that water parameters begin to change as soon as the test sample has been drawn so evaluating as near the time as it has been drawn give the most accurate results. Minimally I would want the standard tests but also include such items as total alkalinity, calcium hardness, heavy metals, total dissolved solids. The heavy metals just out of concerns for my family's health and the fact that several years ago the FDA make a blanket statement that all untreated water sources were to be considered non potable without prior treatment. You identified the general source of your problem but until the specific cause is identified any solutions are shots in the dark at best. My speculation and it is pure speculation on my part is that since most well water sources are hard water types, your filtration system also has a water softening system. These systems may or may not remove minerals from your system but nearly all do add some type of salt, typically calcium chloride, to the water to create soft water which would be the culprit for dry and brittle hair.

melusine963
October 1st, 2013, 09:43 AM
You might need a good chelating shampoo to get rid of the mineral build up in your hair. A clarifying shampoo that's only designed to get rid of product build up probably won't cut it. Could you look into getting a shower head attachment to filter the water? Maybe you can find one that's easy to take with you when you visit your friend.

Panth
October 1st, 2013, 12:13 PM
I agree - clarifying is designed for product build-up, not mineral build-up. Regular chelation treatments are probably necessary for the water you have. Look for shampoos that either are called 'chelating' or are advertised as 'swimmer's shampoo'.

The ACV rinses should help reduce the rate of mineral build-up (depending on the mineral - they should be particularly effective against limescale but probably are much less so against, say, iron deposits). However, IMO you will not be able to make a vinegar rinse strong enough to completely prevent mineral build-up without it being so strong that it also dries out and damages the hair.