PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo bar transition

kganihanova
September 30th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Hello hello everyone! I've been stalking the Lush shampoo bars page for quite a while and want to get one. However, I just settled on a routine that works for me and I don't want to mess that up. Is there a transition period for going from shampoo to shampoo bar? If so, please let me know about your experiences/what you know.
Many thanks in advance!

blue_eyes
September 30th, 2013, 08:00 AM
It's funny you mention this because I just started using a LUSH shampoo bar yesterday! I'm not too sure about what to do as a transition period either. I was going to just swap it for my usual shampoo, and keep my conditioner and treatments the same as before. But, I got the 'New!' shampoo bar, which is supposed to stimulate the growth of new hair. So I don't know how frequently I need to use it in order to obtain results. I asked LUSH and am still waiting for a response. If how frequently I use it isn't going to affect results then I'll probably keep my routine the same, using the shampoo bar instead of my regular shampoo.

I'm super curious to see if anyone else has any advice! :)

Nique1202
September 30th, 2013, 08:35 AM
It's funny you mention this because I just started using a LUSH shampoo bar yesterday! I'm not too sure about what to do as a transition period either. I was going to just swap it for my usual shampoo, and keep my conditioner and treatments the same as before. But, I got the 'New!' shampoo bar, which is supposed to stimulate the growth of new hair. So I don't know how frequently I need to use it in order to obtain results. I asked LUSH and am still waiting for a response. If how frequently I use it isn't going to affect results then I'll probably keep my routine the same, using the shampoo bar instead of my regular shampoo.

As far as I know, there's no proof that New! actually stimulates hair growth. At least, I didn't notice any more growth when I used it regularly than when I used any of my other shampoo bars. Massaging your scalp with the shampoo in would probably do more good than the concentration of oils in the bar, though the oils aren't going to hurt your scalp anyway and the closer they get to your scalp the better any effect would be, so I'd recommend doing as much scalp massage while the shampoo is lathered in your hair as possible for the best effects of both. Washing more frequently than you do already could do more harm than good in the long run, so try just swapping it in for what you're using now.

Except for being a bit harsher than a lot of drug store shampoos because of the high concentration of ingredients (solid shampoo by its definition isn't watered down), there's no more adjustment period than with any other shampoo switch. When I first switched to Lush shampoo bars, I just started using them instead of my old liquid shampoo in the same routine. Some people have trouble switching between shampoos, so the scalp might get irritable for a few uses, but as long as you're not allergic to anything in the shampoo bar you use and it doesn't have a negative effect on your hair type (eg. Jumping Juniper and New can be very drying, so best to use them on oilier hair types), it should work itself out within a few weeks, I think.

Freija
September 30th, 2013, 08:45 AM
LUSH shampoo bars aren't 'true' shampoo bars - most of LUSH's bars still contain sulphates, so there really shouldn't be much difference between using them, or using any other liquid shampoo. Other kinds of shampoo bars though, like the Chagrin Valley bars, are a kind of soap. To use them successfully they often require a different technique from normal shampoo (e.g using soft or filtered water, scalp massage, vinegar rinses), which both you and your hair might take some time to get used to.

I used to quite like the LUSH bars, but ultimately found them a bit too drying and the plant extracts a bit irritating for my stupidly sensitive skin.

kganihanova
September 30th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the responses! After I finish my shampoo stash, I'm gonna try to go shampoo bar only :)

Flor
September 30th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I didn't have any transition period, but I use all-natural shampoo bars that I buy on Etsy. I don't use conditioner with them, just ACV rinse.

PrincessIdril
September 30th, 2013, 09:46 AM
I've been using Lush shampoo bars for ever and I don't think they actually have a transition period. AT least I don't remember me and my mum being subject to one. They are still normal shampoo just solid.
The only "problem" I have now is because I'm so used to using those bars on the rare occasion I use a liquid shampoo I never know how much to use! lol

kganihanova
September 30th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Soooo I ended up getting a smaller size today and tried it. I'm not really loving it. My hair feels overly clean and its tangly and dry. I did the acv rinse to counteract the hard water and made sure to get the lather everywhere. I think I'm gonna stick with my current routine- that seems to be the right fit for me.

clioariane
October 1st, 2013, 02:04 AM
I tried the Seanik shampoo bar from Lush and while I loved the smell and solid form, it was a bit drying for me due to the sea salt, and left my hair tangly (I have 1b hair that never tangles!) so I went back to liquids. I didn't have a transition period, just used it instead of my regular shampoo.