PDA

View Full Version : Sesame Seed Oil

Catarina
September 30th, 2013, 04:35 AM
It's been a long time since I posted, but I wanted to share what I think what is a great oil to use for hair. (And skin) I've used Jojoba, coconut oil, and Olive Oil, but the best oil for hair I've used for hair ever, is Sesame seed oil. I just discovered it two months ago, (I forgot how) but it was actually when looking for the best oil for skin. Castor oil was too heavy on my face, but Sesame seed oil has been the best, along with Primrose oil which is very soothing to the scalp, but the only problem with primrose oil is the smell even after you wash. I'll post some links about sesame seed oil later if anyone is interested. Although, it's a big no-no for flat irons, I usually have to style my hair and fringe for work, and the damage has been very minimal with using sesame seed oil.

Firefox7275
September 30th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Ideally don't supply the skin with fatty acids that it does not need, some can disrupt the barrier function. The stratus corneum is largely comprised of cholesterol, ceramides, the saturates stearic and palmitic acid.

If other oils have benefit as a leave on chances are they are acting as an occlusive - ask yourself what in your routine or lifestyle are they protecting your skin from. Using shea butter on my eczema was how I finally realised that sulphate shampoo bubbles running down my arm was the trigger. The thick butter was simply protecting it much better than my potent prescription corticosteroid cream (water based) could, not actually acting as the miracle treatment I initially perceived it as!!

samanthaj08
September 30th, 2013, 03:18 PM
The girl I just moved in with is Indian (Tamil) and she applies sesame seed oil 2-3 times a week for a couple of hours before washing. She said she's been doing it for years :)

Catarina
October 1st, 2013, 12:04 AM
I find it's done wonders with my hair, and then I wash it in the morning. When I do it apply it to my face, I leave it on for half an hour, and then rinse with water and wipe gently with a facecloth. It's supposed to have antibacterial properties, and since I do have a problem with occasional acne from stress and hormones it helps. I think it does, anyway. I do like it much better than the other oil I've used, and don't think I'll need those, anymore, but what works for me might not work for everyone.

kiezel
October 1st, 2013, 06:41 AM
It's also got SPF 5!

Catarina
October 1st, 2013, 09:55 PM
It's also got SPF 5!

Yes, I read that, too. :) It can provide protection to your hair in the sun.

Busymom
October 2nd, 2013, 02:43 AM
warming the sesame seed oil (gingelly oil as it is called here) helps to reduce the thickness of the oil while applying on the hair.

My grandma used to put one black pepper and one curry leaf in about 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in a metal spatula and then warm it directly in the stove before applying it.

Catarina
October 9th, 2013, 01:02 AM
warming the sesame seed oil (gingelly oil as it is called here) helps to reduce the thickness of the oil while applying on the hair.

My grandma used to put one black pepper and one curry leaf in about 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in a metal spatula and then warm it directly in the stove before applying it.

I'm going to try that. Thank you :)