PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you hair spray your hair with hair spray and then straighten it?

glitterbug
September 29th, 2013, 11:51 AM
After the hair spray and setting lotion is dried on the hair, then use a hot curler or straightener?

sarahthegemini
September 29th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I don't understand why you'd hair spray before styling/straightening?

glitterbug
September 29th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I don't understand why you'd hair spray before styling/straightening?

because some hair strands will get flat and loose after a while.

Jenny31557
September 29th, 2013, 12:30 PM
There are many effective heat free ways of styling your hair on YouTube. I hope you try them and get good results! :)

Nique1202
September 29th, 2013, 01:48 PM
After the hair spray and setting lotion is dried on the hair, then use a hot curler or straightener?

You'd get hairspray and setting lotion ingredients burned onto your hair. Hairspray is basically misted superglue, and setting lotion more of the same but with oils and silicones as well. Even if you used a heat protectant spray or some such, you'd get any oils frying your hair and any other ingredients burning or melting into the hair.

I don't mean to be a negative Nelly, but it's probably not a good idea to use styling products before heat setting. If you really have to heat style, the only product you should use before styling is a heat protectant spray. Save the hairspray for after the straightener or curling iron.

glitterbug
September 29th, 2013, 02:01 PM
You'd get hairspray and setting lotion ingredients burned onto your hair. Hairspray is basically misted superglue, and setting lotion more of the same but with oils and silicones as well. Even if you used a heat protectant spray or some such, you'd get any oils frying your hair and any other ingredients burning or melting into the hair.

I don't mean to be a negative Nelly, but it's probably not a good idea to use styling products before heat setting. If you really have to heat style, the only product you should use before styling is a heat protectant spray. Save the hairspray for after the straightener or curling iron.

How can I fix this, because I did this on a few sections of hair? and now i'm worried?

also will this have damaged my hair?

Arien
September 29th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Usually it makes for crunchy hair. In my experience it doesn't work very well trying to re-style your hair once you have sprayed hair spray on it. It doesn't leave a very good finish. Sometimes you will find a curl won't reset once it has already been heat styled and dropped out without dampening it down and starting again anyways.

Arien
September 29th, 2013, 02:21 PM
How can I fix this, because I did this on a few sections of hair? and now i'm worried?

also will this have damaged my hair?

If you've already done it, what's done is done. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just don't make a habit out of doing it. :).

glitterbug
September 29th, 2013, 02:57 PM
If you've already done it, what's done is done. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just don't make a habit out of doing it. :).

But how can I fix it, has it caused damage? and how do I remove the spray and lotion from the hair as its now stuck on?

Panth
September 29th, 2013, 03:00 PM
But how can I fix it, has it caused damage?

If it's caused damage, then the damage is done. You can't fix damage. Period.

You can temporarily make damaged hair behave more nicely so that it doesn't look so bad and so that it doesn't get damaged further by misbehaving, e.g. tangling. Cones would do that. Coconut oil deep treatments might too. Umm... can't think of the rest of the top of my head. ;)

Jenny31557
September 29th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Any heat styling (straighteners, curling irons) will damage your hair. It's definately not recommended here. :)

lapushka
September 29th, 2013, 03:13 PM
But how can I fix it, has it caused damage? and how do I remove the spray and lotion from the hair as its now stuck on?

If you've done this only once, I wouldn't worry about it *too* much! Just make sure you clarify-wash next time you wash your hair, and follow up with a really thick or moisturizing conditioner.

Arien
September 29th, 2013, 03:22 PM

Only you can tell if it's damaged or not. I very much doubt the spray will be stuck in your hair. Just wash your hair as normal. Give it a good condition and don't worry about it. It's not the end of the world :).

Panth
September 29th, 2013, 03:36 PM
If you've done this only once, I wouldn't worry about it *too* much! Just make sure you clarify-wash next time you wash your hair, and follow up with a really thick or moisturizing conditioner.

Only you can tell if it's damaged or not. I very much doubt the spray will be stuck in your hair. Just wash your hair as normal. Give it a good condition and don't worry about it. It's not the end of the world :).

This!

(Note I said IF it has caused damage then you can't fix it. If you've only done this once then I doubt it has caused tangible damage. In any case, the straightening probably would have caused more damage than the hair spray on top.)

&rea
September 29th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Heat styling actually melts the keratin within the strands of your hair. That's irreversible damage. It can cause your hair to become more brittle and prone to breakage and split ends. Adding hairspray prior heat styling is, quite literally, adding fuel to the fire. Arien and Panth are right. There is really no way to fix the damage caused by heat. I chose to cut off all of my heat damaged hair and stop using heat, all together. I've noticed that healthy hair looks nice without all of the heat. I know my straightener had settings that went up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (232 degrees Celsius) :eek: if the level of heat would burn your skin, it's damaging to your hair.

I would recommend some good moisturizing treatments like coconut oil mast, green tea rinse, etc. Good luck ;)

UltraBella
September 29th, 2013, 03:44 PM
People do this all the time in the non-long hair world. You might need a clarifying shampoo but you'll be fine.

I personally heat style often and my hair is very healthy, but a lot of that is because of how coarse mine is. I don't have to baby my hair as much as someone with fine hair, mine is not easily damaged.

Cherry*Tree
September 29th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Extra damage.

Cherry*Tree
September 29th, 2013, 05:00 PM
I would advise against it.

glitterbug
September 30th, 2013, 08:16 AM
People do this all the time in the non-long hair world. You might need a clarifying shampoo but you'll be fine.

I personally heat style often and my hair is very healthy, but a lot of that is because of how coarse mine is. I don't have to baby my hair as much as someone with fine hair, mine is not easily damaged.

Thanks for the reply, yes the problem was that I stupidly didnt realise that setting lotion and hairspray once applied to hair, should not have heat used on it. because they are flammable products, so this has got me worried that the combination of those products with the hot curling iron may have melted teh products into my hair and done some real damage. So do you reckon my hair will be fine then? Sorry for the many questions!

glitterbug
September 30th, 2013, 08:18 AM

Yes i've only done this once, as in put setting lotion spray, and then hot curl over it. I last used heat on my hair 1 yr ago. Do you think the hair will be fine? I just hope I havent melted the hair or caused some serious unseeable damage!

Panth
September 30th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Yes i've only done this once, as in put setting lotion spray, and then hot curl over it. I last used heat on my hair 1 yr ago. Do you think the hair will be fine? I just hope I havent melted the hair or caused some serious unseeable damage!

If it's only once, then your hair will almost certainly be fine. The comments you got were all really coming from the perspective of doing that regularly.

glitterbug
September 30th, 2013, 02:31 PM

Thanks UltraBella for the reply. I was not concerned so much about using the heat on its own, but more so the combination of the products used on the hair prior to applying heat. I was worried whether it was caused some serious unseeable damage to the hair and melted products onto the hair.