PDA

View Full Version : Does Conditioning/Moisturizing More Increase Hair Shedding?

Dark Star
September 29th, 2013, 09:17 AM
I have been having to nurture my hair more due to a current crisis. I know it is also fall and sometimes people go through a shed then (I more tend to 'molt' at the start of spring) but when I wash (sometimes conditioner washing while I am trying to help my hair recover though ultimately, shampoo is more for me), condition and/or deep condition, I am noticing more hairs on my comb or in the drain catcher. Is it because the conditioners are softening up what is soon-to-be shed anyway? Because I have been washing a little less lately so I have more hair to shed when the time comes? It only started once I stepped up my moisture regime. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this. Thank you.

jacqueline101
September 29th, 2013, 10:15 AM
I've never used co wash method but I did use a leave in conditioner mixed with my Monistat and the conditioner caused a massive shed for 3 months last summer. It wasn't the Monistat because I've done it straight and water deluted without problems. It was the only new thing I've tried. I laid off the conditioner and the shed stopped.
I started doing cholesterol and deep conditioning treatments I wrote the blog on my experiences on shedding durring treatments. I don't know if they're loose hairs on my part Monistat is suppose to stop shedding. Feel free to read my blog maybe it's a situation like yours.

Panth
September 29th, 2013, 11:09 AM
There are a few possible reasons:

1) Conditioners generally impart slip. This makes it easier for already-shed hairs that are still caught up in the mass of attached hairs to slip out and end up on the floor / in your comb / in the shower. Thus, greater apparent shedding but you're actually only losing stuff that was already gone.

2) You are manipulating your hair more. Every time you manipulate your hair in any way you will lose some hairs - a few from being broken but mostly ones that were already shed and just caught up in the mass of attached hairs or ones that were "club hairs" and about to be shed (i.e. the hair follicle was in the resting phase, the hair had stopped growing and detached from the base of the follicle inside your skin but was still sitting in the follicle). Greater manipulation causes greater "shedding"; this is particularly true of head massages in my experience.

3) Some people react to some products and this causes a shed.