PDA

View Full Version : My hair, the sponge...

sourgrl
September 28th, 2013, 06:36 PM
When I attended my son's football game the other night I arrived at the game having a great hair day. By the end of the night my hair was noticeably thicker from absorbing the moisture in the night air. Not frizzy, but thicker. I've tried coconut oil and argan oil to seal my hair. Coconut oil works best as a pre-poo. Argan oil helps keep the moisture in but not out, if that makes sense. Any suggestions on how to seal my hair in high humidity? Currently my routine is sulfate, cone, and humectant free. I'm open to cones but have found avoiding humectants, especially in styling products, keeps the frizz at bay. ~TIA

MeowScat
September 28th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Hmm...I'm wondering if Mineral Oil would do the trick. It seems to seal the cuticle really well. It keeps moisture IN the hair, so I'm assuming it would also keep moisture OUT?

I'd love to hear opinions. Great question!

Crumpet
September 28th, 2013, 06:43 PM
My hair does this too -- I'll be watching!

I'm wondering if its a finey thing. Our fine hair is SO naughty about such things!

sourgrl
September 28th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Meowscat, I've tried mineral oil on wet, damp, and dry hair. The results regardless of how I used it was kind of meh. Actually, I was kinda bummed I didn't get the great results others have had. Fine and wavy hair definitely has a mind of it's own!

Firefox7275
September 28th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Nothing will seal completely unless you want a greasy head or very weighed down waves. Using oil within conditioners or styling product is a useful method of distributing the oil thinly. How often do you pre-poo with coconut oil and for how long? Might be best working hard at reducing the porosity by stepping that up a notch. You might also try film formers for styling - flaxseed or okra gel.

MeowScat
September 28th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Damn, I was hoping you hadn't tried it yet and it would be a miracle for you. The first time I tried it, I used 20 drops. It took me almost two weeks to get it all out, I looked like I hadn't washed it in ages. Then I finally figured out that 2 drops works best for me.

Maybe cones would work if you're willing. Either in your conditioner or a leave-in.

Beatrice
September 28th, 2013, 07:46 PM
I've recently gone sulfate free and LOVE my hair. But I still use cones, and find they do a great job controlling my insane frizz. Who knows, maybe the cones will build up over time and I'll have to clarify. Using a sulfate shampoo once every couple weeks or so wouldn't be a bad trade for the results I'm getting. I know a lot of fine-haired members have to go light on the oils. Even I do, and I'm mostly coarse.

sourgrl
September 28th, 2013, 08:19 PM
I'm not opposed to cones but find they tend to weigh down my waves. My hair seems to suck up the few oils I've tried. Firefox, thank you for those suggestions. They are definately worth a shot and not something I've come across while searching the issue. If they don't help me hopefully they will help someone else experiencing the same issue.

Andeee
September 29th, 2013, 01:03 AM
My hair does the same thing. We spent two weeks on the west coast of Ireland and my hair was super thick the whole time. Maybe it was being so near the sea. I'm afraid to put oil in my hair though like so many of you do...