PDA

View Full Version : Gym hair

Kaelee
September 28th, 2013, 05:01 PM
I've just started working out, 1/2 hour on the treadmill and about 45 minutes of weight machines. I can't seem to figure out what to do with my hair, other than ponytail- I had it in a braid yesterday, but halfway through my treadmill jog, the braid flew apart and one of the gym employees handed me my scrunchie that had ended up on the floor. :o My braids don't usually fly apart but then, I wasn't in the habit of jogging either. :lol: I'm sure my go-too bun (disc bun) would be useless as that bouncing around tends to dislodge buns.

Help? Do I just continue to ponytail it?

jacqueline101
September 28th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I'd try the braid again with an elastic that's what I did when I lifted weights.

lunalocks
September 28th, 2013, 05:31 PM
I had horrible pony tail damage a few years back. This was from wearing a scrunchie during aerobic dance. The scrunchie would loosen and I would tighten it. Repeatedly. The friction broke my hair and what was left grew out into terrible splits. I have just about grown it all out and rarely wear a pony now, and NEVER while exercising.

I do a high bun with a fork while dancing, and a low bun with a fork while biking. The helmet just misses it. For yoga I do a top knot, held with a fork or spin pins.

patienceneeded
September 28th, 2013, 05:40 PM
I jog/run 3-4 miles at a time, about 4 days a week. An LWB sometimes works, but mostly I just braid my length and secure it with one of those elastics made out of fold-over elastic (FOE). The type you buy at the store that has the knot tied on one end? I make my own out of FOE and use them. They have never flown off while running, not have they ever caused any damage.

Ravenwind
September 28th, 2013, 06:05 PM
A high braided bun works well for me :)

Carolyn
September 28th, 2013, 06:06 PM
I do a similar workout and almost always wear my hair in a single braid. I use the stretchy ribbon elastics and I've never had one work itself out of my hair. If I wear a ponytail I get a great deal of tangles. Not good. I often oil the ends of my braid when I am planning to take a shower at the gym after doing a workout or exercise class.

Kaelee
September 28th, 2013, 06:12 PM
I'll try the braid again with the elastic- I have several of them here. Thanks! I don't know why I didn't try that.

Crumpet
September 28th, 2013, 07:19 PM
I run a lot (marathons, ultra-marathons). Gibraltars with spin pins work really well for me and never, ever fall out. Everyone has different preferences though!

Kaelee
September 28th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I think my hair is too short for gibralter bun- I can only get about 1.5 coils out of my hair currently.

GG
September 28th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Pony tails slip straight out of my hair when I'm running. I've started doing either one or two french braids, tying them off, folding the length back up and securing that with another soft hairtie. I think the fact that it can't swing around much helps it stay put. Doesn't look pretty, bet then I run in old man singlets so what difference does my braid make? :D

BlazingHeart
September 29th, 2013, 02:34 AM
I braid, fold the braid in half, and secure the crap out of it (that is, three ponytail holders holding it folded - one right at my nape, one halfway down the folded braid, and one just a couple inches from the bottom). Alternatively, I find my Squiggly in a Nautilus bun can be secure enough, if I get it right. (I'm still kind of working on that one - it either holds like a rock or falls out right away, and I can never figure out what I did wrong!)

Misschilly
September 29th, 2013, 03:08 AM
When I run I often just put my hair in a bun held with clips=)

Flor
September 29th, 2013, 03:32 AM
Another vote for braids with more secure elastic ties (scrunches are too heavy, use something light with good stretch). I prefer french braids for exercise, keep all those face-framing layers secured. Ponytails are bad even for everyday, imagine how much your hair will be pulled and bent when you're jumping up and down. Looks awesome though :D

cobden 28
September 29th, 2013, 03:45 AM
I'm not a gym or exercise fanatic but with exercise and long hair, I reckon it's not the looks of your hairstyle that matters, it's the simple practicality of keeping it off your face, as little loose hairs dangling are so darn irritating!

What works best for me to keep the hair right out of my face and never mind what it looks like, is firstly to tie the hair at the front and sides back off my face in a topknot, high at the back of my head, leaving the length hanging down my back. Then the loose hanging hair is tied rather severely back into a ponytail at the nape of my neck.

To tie my hair back I use lengths of knicker elastic, bought from habadashery stores. For everyday wear I cover the knicker elastic band with a scrunchie - scruchies don't keep my hair properly back off my face when used by themselves, I always seem to be readjusting my ponytail (tightening) if I have just a scrunchie in my hair.

Libbylou
September 29th, 2013, 04:05 AM
torrinpaige has a recent blog up about workout hairdo's. I think interlaced braids would hold really well if you don't have 4 feet of hair.

BlazingHeart
September 29th, 2013, 04:31 AM
I just realized I totally forgot one of my faves, for something quick and easy. I grew up calling it a 'caterpillar braid' or a 'caterpillar tail'. Do a half-up. Then do a lower pony that includes the half-up and about half of the remaining hair. Then a nape pony with all of your hair. Then every 4-6 inches down, put another ponytail holder on the 'tail. Torrinpaige has a video showing the style I'm talking about, if what I'm saying doesn't make sense - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkPvgeVMGTE It's definitely not what I'd call a girly style, but it's very secure and easy to do. I dunno about her 'updo' that she makes in the second half of the video, I've never tried it. You can fold it and band it onto itself the way I mentioned with a braid in my last post, too. Helps keep things from jerking around and hitting people and equipment.

Kaelee
September 29th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I just realized I totally forgot one of my faves, for something quick and easy. I grew up calling it a 'caterpillar braid' or a 'caterpillar tail'. Do a half-up. Then do a lower pony that includes the half-up and about half of the remaining hair. Then a nape pony with all of your hair. Then every 4-6 inches down, put another ponytail holder on the 'tail. Torrinpaige has a video showing the style I'm talking about, if what I'm saying doesn't make sense - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkPvgeVMGTE It's definitely not what I'd call a girly style, but it's very secure and easy to do. I dunno about her 'updo' that she makes in the second half of the video, I've never tried it. You can fold it and band it onto itself the way I mentioned with a braid in my last post, too. Helps keep things from jerking around and hitting people and equipment.

When I had shorter hair, I lived in a style similar to that!

BlazingHeart
September 29th, 2013, 05:54 PM
I used to wear that style for playing soccer. I mostly played goalkeeper, so I really needed my hair solidly secured out of my eyes. I sometimes had to add a wide cloth hairband to keep over-long bangs out of my eyes, because my league didn't allow hard clips or pins of any kind.

Kaelee
September 29th, 2013, 05:58 PM
I used the braid secured with an elastic tie today...and it still managed to slip out! :lol: at least it didn't launch the elastic across the gym this time though.

Sweet_Decadence
September 30th, 2013, 12:04 PM
A lazy bun held with a spin pin always holds out for me. :)

Wildcat Diva
September 30th, 2013, 12:07 PM
I can jog in a nautilus with an acrylic hair stick, very lightweight. Cinnabun with spin pins in another option.

rose313
September 30th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I do either a ponytail, twist my hair into a low bun, or braid with an elastic at the ends. My styles have fallen out at the gym too.

Haybop
October 1st, 2013, 10:11 AM
I don't know how you folks manage it - when my hair gets too long for simple french braid to work I'm gonna be doomed!
Off to kettle bells in 10 so good old frenchie best hold :D
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/Lanky_Blip/gymhair_zps03ab2cb8.jpg?t=1380643514

Kaelee
October 31st, 2013, 10:13 AM
Ugh...think I have to give up on braids. I think my hair is just too thick/heavy to comfortably braid. Even with two elastics on the end of my braid it comes out sometimes (and it ALWAYS pulls).

I just tested out a disc bun with Ficcarissimo, it held through some jumping jacks, but I don't know if it can stand up to 30 mins on the treadmill. :( I'm kind of at a loss here. I was braiding it, but every single day there was a strand somewhere that pulled, and I redid it 4 times today, different kinds of braids, and no improvement at all. We'll see...

leslissocool
October 31st, 2013, 10:21 AM
I use these:

http://www.farm-home.com/images/jb59/68050459c.jpg

The larger elastics not only cause more damage on my hair, but they come off. These ones break, so I use two and so far my ends are staying super thick (not past tailbone). They stay in place very well.

I do a english braid down my back for cardio, or you could do a headband twist (twist the hair in the headband, it's also a curling method) and that survived insanity for me.

Kaelee
October 31st, 2013, 10:47 AM
I use these:

http://www.farm-home.com/images/jb59/68050459c.jpg

The larger elastics not only cause more damage on my hair, but they come off. These ones break, so I use two and so far my ends are staying super thick (not past tailbone). They stay in place very well.

I do a english braid down my back for cardio, or you could do a headband twist (twist the hair in the headband, it's also a curling method) and that survived insanity for me.

I had a heck of a time doing that headband twist mehod when i tried it for curls...came out just sitting at my desk. :lol: Do you have a tutorial that's maybe easier to do?

LauraLongLocks
October 31st, 2013, 10:56 AM
I ran and lifted weights in a nautilus bun, secured with just a straight hair stick on Tuesday. It worked really well, and I liked it better than braiding. I don't like to feel the braid on my neck, or bouncing over my shoulder when I'm running.

Kaelee
October 31st, 2013, 11:03 AM
I still have trouble with nautilus bun, unfortunately. It is either completely uncomfortable, or looks stupid. I've gotten it right maybe twice. :( I think I still don't have quite enough length for it.

velorutionista
October 31st, 2013, 11:24 AM
I do double french or dutch braids b/c I find splitting my hair up makes it less likely to crawl out of the braid while I'm working out.

patienceneeded
October 31st, 2013, 11:29 AM
I use to run with a LWB but switched to a simple English Braid. For some reason a bun always loosens up and falls out during my run. The braid does get messy, but I figure I'm on a run, not in a beauty pageant. Works for me, but everyone is different and has different preferences.

NuclearApple
October 31st, 2013, 11:56 AM
I play tennis,so i put my hair in a ponytail or in a braid cause buns does not work very well,i jump and run a lot so they come off.

Granger Mane
October 31st, 2013, 12:51 PM
I've started doing double buns (mickey mouse ear types) when working out. I find they keep hair out of my face, but distributes the hair weight well.

leslissocool
October 31st, 2013, 01:40 PM
I had a heck of a time doing that headband twist mehod when i tried it for curls...came out just sitting at my desk. :lol: Do you have a tutorial that's maybe easier to do?

I did a tutorial here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=99822&page=3). I lifted weights AND did insanity with it and it did not come out at all, so if I have to go somewhere fancy (I usually work out before to feel better in fancy clothes) I do this on my hair :lol:. two birds one stone!

This was back when my hair was very tapered, it works best IMO with very thick hair.

Kaelee
November 1st, 2013, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the link Lesli! I'm having a hard time finding your tutorial but the one at the start of the thread, I think I can follow. :) I'll give it a shot.

turquoisedays
November 1st, 2013, 10:01 AM
I usually french braid mine to the ends, nautilus bun the length, and use either a fork or a couple acrylic hairsticks to secure it.

nakima
November 1st, 2013, 04:23 PM
I just pull my pony through a ball cap, that what works for me. I have been lifting weights for 1 abt 8 years and by doing this nobody sees my oily hair on those days I dont wash it. :)

Kaelee
November 2nd, 2013, 12:26 PM
Update: Disc bun held with a ficarissimo (old style with teeth) held comfortably through half mile of running, at least that much walking, and some light calisthenics. It didn't even budge. So I have hope that it will hold up through a gym workout as well (I did my outside workout today because it was so nice out!)

askan
November 2nd, 2013, 12:48 PM
When I was a gymnast and did team gymnastics competitions, we always had two frenchbraids as our compulsory hairstyle. I remember a LOT of (glittery) hairspray, bobby pins and elastics being used...
Nowadays, I only practise gymnastics once a week but still need to figure out a hairstyle that holds for flips, rolls and headstands.. My hair isn't very long but I want to avoid ponytails. The only girl on my team with really long hair used to wear a really tight french braid, with the braid bunned up to avoid it hitting her in the face.

BlazingHeart
November 3rd, 2013, 12:25 PM
Have you tried bunning your braid? That would give you the best of both worlds and stop the braid from throwing hair ties.

Kaelee
November 3rd, 2013, 12:56 PM
Have you tried bunning your braid? That would give you the best of both worlds and stop the braid from throwing hair ties.

My hair is too thick for that. :( I'd need several inches of length before I have enough to even wrap around once. So far I haven't had success with two braids either.

Kaelee
November 4th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Off to pick up some of those elastics Lesli uses. My bun came loose and as a result, I managed to fall off the treadmill and break my new $20 headphones. :( The Naughty Mess would be proud!

I think my hair has a name now. The Destroyer. Hehehe

I'm OK, my Ipod is OK, but I'm upset about the headphones.

Kaelee
November 6th, 2013, 09:33 AM
I HAVE DONE IT! I HAVE DEFEATED THE DESTROYER! It made a move for an early victory by breaking the teeth out of one of my claw clips, but in the end it was forced to surrender. I feel like the lion tamer!

This is my hair AFTER my workout (15 mins run, 15 mins walk on treadmill, 1/2 hour or so of weights, followed by stretching.)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/001_zps7fda19fe.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/Danmara/media/001_zps7fda19fe.jpg.html)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/002_zps7795a995.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/Danmara/media/002_zps7795a995.jpg.html)

What I did: plain old English braid, put on a cloth headband (underneath the braid) and wrap the braid several times around the headband. Secure the end TO THE HEADBAND as well as to the hair on my head. Tuck the end. It did NOT move. And since I was able to tuck the end, even looks halfway presentable. :laugh:

leslissocool
November 6th, 2013, 11:45 AM
YAY!!!

I'm sorry about the elastics, I should have mention I use 2-3 at the same time :couch:.

But that headband braid thing looks good actually, you could wear that out and it's presentable. :cheese:.

Kaelee
November 6th, 2013, 12:02 PM
I felt a little like princess Leia! :D

askan
November 6th, 2013, 01:52 PM
That looks great Kaelee!

I had gymnastics training (class? practise?) today and resorted to small messy bun held by an elastic. NOT good for forward rolls, I could feel it strain. I look like an armadillo in french braids so now I don't know what to do :(