PDA

View Full Version : Bangs- god or bad? Tell me your thoughts

Lockoptimisten
September 28th, 2013, 02:42 PM
I want long bangs to the eyebrow (zoeystyle) but i'm afraid I 'll will regret it. I remeber that 10 years ago I loved it and told my self that I never wanted to grow my bangs out...But somehow I just did. Advice me please! Do I dare? I have cind of a long face with a pointy chin haha god or bad idea?

Kaelee
September 28th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I have long bangs (longer than that actually) and actually just trimmed them again. I love bangs! They soften up your look a lot I think, depending on how they're done.

Lockoptimisten
September 28th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Is it hard to bobby-pin them away if i look to weard? If i cut them eyebrowlength? I love topknot to, can I have it if I cut bangs?

Crumpet
September 28th, 2013, 02:57 PM
I don't like bangs on me but I think they look great on others. Why not get some but not too thick? If you hate it you can grow them out without too many problems.

faellen
September 28th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Hard to say whether a fringe (sorry, I'm British) would suit you without seeing a pic of your face, but if you enjoyed having one before you may well love it again :) Do you have any pics of you with and without a fringe that we can compare? If you have a long face, a fringe could give the effect of shortening it somewhat. Think about it for a good couple of weeks, though, before you take the plunge.
I used to like having a fringe but ultimately found that my hair is too oily for one, I had to wash my hair more often and I'm far too lazy for that.

SleepyTangles
September 28th, 2013, 03:00 PM
I love bangs. But the straight across ones are very high-maintenance. I've recently tried side-swept bangs, adn although the look is not as appealing on my face, I have to admitt they are much more practical, and they work better with my wavy hair.

Love/hate relationship, basically.

If you loved it, why not? Eyebrow lenght bangs may be a bit bothersome to pin down, but at least its not summer anymore!

Ishje
September 28th, 2013, 03:02 PM
well, why not? if you liked it 10 years ago and want it again I would not worry too much about it.
Even if you don't like it, there are worse things then growing out a fringe.

jacqueline101
September 28th, 2013, 03:32 PM
I have triangle bangs and love mine. They were my own creation I cut mine in after I grew out another style of bangs theyre not too thin or thick. I went with medium bangs. You have to decide if you like them.

AspenSong
September 28th, 2013, 03:36 PM
I've had bangs off and on my whole life. I personally really love them...however I was getting tired of having long wispy ones (I dream of Zooey Deschanel bangs, but lack the hair for them) and I'm so oily skinned, it's hard to keep them looking fresh for me...so I've been growing mine out and they're now about APL.
My thought has always been - give them a try, because they'll grow out! And it's a way to change your look without losing length.

Rio040113
September 28th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I'm pro bangs (or 'fringe' as we say)! I have the kind of 'duck wing' style ones at the minute but I love that if I move my parting over a bit, I have a normal side fringe instead and if I center part I can get away with minimal styling to look like I have no fringe at all, just short face framing layers. So versatile. I think having a fringe keeps me from getting bored and doing something I'd regret in a spur of the moment type thing. Been there so many times, praise the fringe, it saves me and my hair! :p

Lady Mary
September 28th, 2013, 05:13 PM
I love bangs. I also hate them. For me, if someone is willing to put up with it, I think they're great. But since they are so much of a hassle, as long as they liked their face without them, I'd tell that person to avoid them unless they really wanted to deal with keeping them up.

clioariane
September 28th, 2013, 05:18 PM
It's a long-term commitment and pretty high maintenance in my experience. Although I love the look, it was too much of a hassle for me personally to have to cut them every 2 weeks and style them daily. I am still growing out my bangs and after 2 years I finally feel like they blend in with the rest of my hair. But if you think you can deal with the upkeep totally go for it :)

rcblinn
September 28th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I want long bangs to the eyebrow (zoeystyle) but i'm afraid I 'll will regret it. I remeber that 10 years ago I loved it and told my self that I never wanted to grow my bangs out...But somehow I just did. Advice me please! Do I dare? I have cind of a long face with a pointy chin haha god or bad idea?

I'd say that since you have a longer face, bangs would look great! My overall face is rather short in length as well as my forehead and I did the leap and got a heavy fringe done. Long story short, didn't look that great and seemed to shorten my face even more. Plus bangs soften facial features, I think it would look really good from how you described your appearance.

hannabiss
September 28th, 2013, 05:34 PM
I love bangs and plan on growing done to hide my crazy forehead. Plus I think they look "sassy"

pocketsmall
September 28th, 2013, 05:42 PM
I had bangs for most of my life (blunt, eyebrow length). I started growing them out in January 2012 for a number of reasons, my hair is very fine/thin and I didn't want to sacrifice thickness to the bangs anymore. Also, my skin started acting up and I thought keeping hair off my face as much as possible would help cure my acne (it didn't). My bangs are nearly shoulder length now and I have no plans to cut them again, but I'm sure I will change my mind eventually.

In my case, bangs required A LOT of maintenance, I had to blow them out with a round brush every day for them to look "good", and the look usually didn't last for the entire day.

I do miss the look, though.

RainbowBowser
September 28th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Just go for it :) Even if you don't like them, they can always be pinned back. It will probably compliment your long face shape.

Coolcombination
September 28th, 2013, 06:05 PM
I just got them and I love them, never had a fringe before. They make every hairstyle look good and they make me look more approachable :)

BrendaLoan
September 28th, 2013, 08:42 PM
I've had bangs since I was 15 years old. And I love them! And if you get bored you can always try this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ2oNUipInU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

seeker
September 28th, 2013, 09:09 PM
When I cut my hair short I loved having side swept bangs and felt they complimented my face. Now that I'm trying to grow they frustrate me because if they were longer I wouldn't feel like the hair in front was so thin. If you have a lot hair and really like the way they look I don't see any harm. I completely understand the desire for a change.

Sinthia
September 28th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I had blunt zoey style bangs for 2 years, when I didnt want to bother with them, I put a lil gel in and clipped them to the side. Growing out is not a pain, which I am now, just push them or clip to the side. I say go for it if you want!

jessj48
September 28th, 2013, 09:25 PM
I had an eyebrow length fringe/bangs for a while, but I found it too annoying to style and keep trimmed. Plus I think it made my face look a bit too chunky. I like to have shorter pieces of hair around chin length that I can can leave out when my hair is up. They make my face look better and are long enough that they don't need styling. I'm intending on keeping chin length pieces even when my hair is really long.

I'd say just keep in mind maintenance (trims, salon appointments), daily styling (products, straightening, curling), how the bangs look with updos, and your face shape.

alexis917
September 28th, 2013, 10:28 PM
My face is weird. It looks pointed from the side, but from the front it looks heart shaped- leaning round, if I'm bloated.
I looked awful with bangs, but I wish I could have pulled them off, since they look so nice on some people!
You seem to have decent features for them! Why not try it?

Lockoptimisten
September 28th, 2013, 11:32 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/103613452@N02/?saved=1

Lockoptimisten
September 28th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Did it work? Can u see the pic i tried loading up from Flickr?

woodswanderer
September 28th, 2013, 11:42 PM
I see it, but I don't have advice. I have a hard time visualizing how people will look with a proposed haircut....pretty color though.

Leeloo
September 28th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Bangs will probably look wonderful on you, but they are a lot of work. You'll have to style them every day and work with them a lot after each wash. And then re-style them every time the wind blows. And if you don't like them or get tired of them you'll have to clip them away while they grow out. You could also try face framing layers (they are easer to grow out if you don't like them).

MeowScat
September 29th, 2013, 12:28 AM
I've had bangs on and off many times throughout my entire life. I like having bangs because I can change my look by:

--letting them grow for a few weeks
--cutting them even just a tiny bit shorter
--parting them in different ways
--combing them straight or fluffing them up

I don't have to do anything to my length or my updo's to have a different look. If I don't want bangs that day, I can clip them back or to the side.

What i don't like is that they look oily sooner than the rest of my hair, but that is solved by washing them under the bathroom or kitchen faucet which takes me, maybe, one minute. They dry incredibly fast.

You can buy clip-on bangs to help you get an idea of how much you might like it. Or download a hair or makeover app to try different looks. Fun stuff!! :p

Syaoransbear
September 29th, 2013, 12:33 AM
I'm in the process of growing my bangs out. I have wavy hair and my bangs would just not look right unless I straightened and styled them, and if it was a humid day I'd have to pin them back because they'd just curl into my eyeballs.

keyblade
September 29th, 2013, 01:11 AM
I love bangs, but they're too high maintenance in my opinion. Sideswept bangs never want to stay in place, and straight across bangs have to be trimmed frequently or they start going in your face. I've finally grown my bangs out almost as long as the rest of my hair, and for now I'm loving the break, but I'll probably end up going back because I am not a fan of my forehead.

MaryO
September 29th, 2013, 03:26 AM
I ALWAYS want bangs but I ALWAYS regret it! :-( I'm currently thinking about getting some cut again but luckily for me the summer here is way too hot to for me to do it right now so I'll have to wait at least until April next year to have it done. Long enough time to be sure! ;-)

cobden 28
September 29th, 2013, 03:50 AM
A fringe suits my face but not my hair, thanks to a cowlick I'd forgotten I have. So I'm going to grow my fringe out and will have to accept that I have a high broad forehead after all!

jasper
September 29th, 2013, 04:52 AM
I think it makes a difference how the bangs are cut and how much hair is involved. I remember a coworker getting an ear to ear fringe cut when she had never had bangs before and really regretting it, and finding it hard to grow out. I think in her case, it she might have liked the look better with a different cut, temple to temple instead of ear to ear (http://www.hairfashion.biz/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Fashion-Bangs-2013-4.jpg), if that makes sense.

I have enough wave that my bangs act silly with little provocation. The ends will flip up or curl out or they will separate unevenly. I used to use heat to tame them, but now I just put up with silly.

Some people transition from bangs to no bangs and back - and it seems to me like they can do this over a fairly short term without a lot of angst. For me, I have never been able to get away from having bangs.

Bangs were my mom's decision when I was a child and when I tried to grow them out at about age 11, I got so much disapproval from her that I couldn't go the distance. She would't let me wear them hanging in my eyes and I didn't like how i looked when I tried to pin/ clip them back.

When I was a teen, a hairdresser told me I should keep my bangs to conceal my widows peak, which is quite pronounced. So I bought in to that. As an adult, I decided I just had too much of my hair cut as bangs and needed to grow some of it out. I started parting differently and only cutting a sort of under layer of my bangs. This time it wasn't my mom nagging about bangs hanging in my eyes, but other friends. I wore hats a lot to get through the awkwardness. More recently I decided I didn't have enough bangs because my widows peak makes them thick in the middle and thinner at the temples, so I have changed the parting and tried cutting them differently again.

Lunearia
September 29th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Bangs are pretty. I used to have a full on straight fringe which I think suited me quite well. I got tired of it soon and grew myself a "duck wing" as Rio said. :D

I've been growing the leftovers out for the past few years. Tempted to cut though...

Tail Feathers
September 29th, 2013, 04:58 AM
i actually read somewhere that cutting bangs causes excess hair loss
in the rest of the length. is this true, does anyone know ??

jasper
September 29th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Tall Feathers, how could it? It would reduce ponytail circumference or bun size by the amount of hair cut for bangs. But hair loss as in shedding?

Tail Feathers
September 29th, 2013, 05:13 AM
yes, as in extra shedding to "compensate" for the sudden loss up front....
as in, the rest of the scalp "is aware" of the loss and so dedicates itself
to making the fringe (bangs) grow out, and this results in extra shedding..

i read this in an article on a link in JJJLongHair's site, and was S A D
because, i rather like bangs...

it left me very curious.... can it be true ?

ladyfey
September 29th, 2013, 05:18 AM
No, can't be true :)

Tail Feathers
September 29th, 2013, 05:21 AM
really not ?

that makes me happy ! thank you !
i like bangs !

sally_neuf
September 29th, 2013, 05:47 AM
I love to have them... then I grow them past my chin, then I chop' em again. Straight or side sweep, it changes my looks everytime and in less than 6 months, I will have a completely different look. It gives me a lot of material to play with :)

RedNymph
September 29th, 2013, 06:43 AM
I like how they frame my face. I think it gives your hair a bit of personality, not saying all one length is bad, but bangs can really compliment a person.

MonaMayfair
September 29th, 2013, 07:01 AM
You know you can buy clip-in bangs? I've got some (human hair) Then you don't have any commitment...

martyna_22
September 29th, 2013, 07:05 AM
I hate bangs on myself, having a round face and all... but on other people they might look really good!

Venefica
September 29th, 2013, 07:15 AM
I have straight bangs across my face, for me I do think they give me a more Gothic look and they make it easier to just get my hair into a bun or a braid since I do not need to bother with parts. The bangs do need to be washed more often than the rest of my hair but washing then takes two minutes tops and they dry very quickly. Bangs do eat some thickness from your hair though, if you have thick hair it should be no problem but if you have thin hair you might want to avoid it. I do think my bags are the most fuzzy part of my hair, I need to keep them trimmed, wash them and comb them into place, all in all though I like my bangs though there are days I still with I had grown them out with the rest of my hair so all would be one length.

What you do with your hair depends on you, just remember that growing bangs out do take allot of annoying time when they are to long to be pretty but to short to do anything but pin them away so before you cut your hair be sure it is what you really want. I second the suggestion of clip in bangs and had I known of those before I cut mine several years ago I might not have cut them.

Mizumi
September 29th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Bangs are lovely, I had it till last year. But I was so tired of messing with my ,,flips'', weird wavy things and general discomfort. Now I have it almost at shoulder length and I fel Betttteeeeer.

YamaMaya
September 29th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I think they're not for everyone, like most styles of hair. I find them a bit annoying as they get greasy and I spend hours just trying to figure out what to do with them. Mine are starting to fit into hairstyles more and more and not falling out. For now I'm growing them and when I can do more complex updos, I'll see what I want to do with them.

wildkratt
September 29th, 2013, 01:16 PM
I''ve always wanted bangs, but unfortunately my hair (and parents) won't let me :(. It's way too wavy and frizzy, and having bangs would require me to straighten them all the time. Plus, I think they might make me break out. I'm going to wait until I'm in my 30s or 40s to get side bangs b/c I think that by then, my skin would be a lot drier.