PDA

View Full Version : Hate my hair

BowTie
September 28th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Okay.. I just feel like ranting, sorry. Sometimes I just think that I should shave my hair off and get a wig.

Firstly, my hair is so silky and it basically won't hold any updos. I've had that problem since a child. So annoying.
Secondly, my real hair colour is so horrible. It's mousy and greyish. I can never be natural. When I was 16 this boy was laughing because he could see my real haircolour :(

Firefox7275
September 28th, 2013, 12:09 PM
What products are you using, any silicones (suffix -cone, -conol, -xane)? If so lay off them to reduce silkiness.

Liz_park
September 28th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Well, first of all, you are beautiful!

Secondly, silky hair is a GOOD thing!

From your avatar it looks like you are blondie (just like me)! My natural colour is a bit darker (sort like a dark blonde, we probably have a very similar colour) and I've always thought it was a bit too dark for my colouring (I have light skin and blue eyes). So I have lightened my hair a level or two since I was 16. There is nothing wrong with colouring your hair. Plenty of people on this forum swear by colour and have found healthy ways to lighten, henna, darken, etc. their hair :)

Finally, that boy was being a goof, which most boys are. He would probably be horrified if he knew (as an adult) that he had hurt your feelings. Replace that memory with a new one -- that you are gorgeous and I said so! Hehe

Stray_mind
September 28th, 2013, 12:17 PM
I guess we all have moments when we don't like our hair, it's a natural thing for a person who cares for it.. As Liz wrote-silky hair is GOOD. And that boy was just being..... well... A boy :D...A lot of people just don't get natural beauty and i think Nature gave you the color that suits you best, so learn to love it as it is and not comparing it to fake bright ones. Don't hate your hair, love it and take good care of it. Then you'll see that you'll get more positive than negative comments. :blossom:

Kwantslonghair
September 28th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Mine is silky too and also hard to do up do. Mine is kinda mousy too. I color it for texture. It helps. I color my own color just at roots to cover gray. It lightens in summer. I hate mine sometimes. When I feel that way I just put it up and forget about it for a while. From what I can tell your hair is very pretty.

jacqueline101
September 28th, 2013, 12:28 PM
There are moments when I hate mine so that's normal. Im also blonde and had siky hair as a child but that went away. If its an issue I'd stop with cone products and oil they make hair slippery.

faellen
September 28th, 2013, 12:32 PM
I'm officially banning the word "mousy" from this thread from here on out :p it's a horrible negative word IMO.

Your hair sounds like mine. When you're a straightie, silkiness is a good thing, embrace it :D I also used to hate my colour, just like you, especially when people kept referring to it as mousy and greyish. When i stopped dyeing, I thought the colour looked awful at the roots but when it got longer I noticed a whole lot of different tones in there! If you want to continue colouring, feel free, but I found I was much happier when I embraced my natural colour and texture. No longer am I ashamed to have straight ashy hair, as with it comes many benefits too... :)

BowTie
September 28th, 2013, 01:15 PM
I currently use products with silicones. I've tried non-silicone shampoos but they made my hair look like it had bubblegum in them :D However, after I've used my current shampoo I think I will try again.

Firefox7275
September 28th, 2013, 02:13 PM
I currently use products with silicones. I've tried non-silicone shampoos but they made my hair look like it had bubblegum in them :D However, after I've used my current shampoo I think I will try again.

What do you mean it made your hair look like it had bubblegum in, you mean it didn't cleanse well? Sulphates are pretty harsh especially on dyed hair, consider switching to a sulphate free product, cocoamidopropyl betaine is an effective cleanser, the glucosides are super gentle. An alternative is to try the coconut oil shampoo (Movie Star Method), bleached/ peroxided hair is usually porous, coconut oil is proven to protect from damage and protein loss.

MaryMarx
September 28th, 2013, 03:53 PM
I'm sure that if we switched hair for a day, you wouldn't hate yours anymore. :rolleyes:

Coolcombination
September 28th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Firstly welcome my welsh friend! I live 40 mins down the road from you x secondly all ^this advice^ is good. Try using Timorese pure shampoo and conditioner

Coolcombination
September 28th, 2013, 06:28 PM
*timotei shampoo sorry

AmyBeth
September 29th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Don't hate your hair- how happy would you be if you woke up bald tomorrow?:p
Seriously, I consider silkiness to be one of my hair's best attributes. I have three pet rabbits, and I'm as soft as any of them. That lame comment by a boy all those years ago? Please. He was just being a little jerk. He just said the first thing he could think of to get under your skin, and you care what he thinks because...?Mice are cute, so impossibly tiny and such a soft sweet color. Your hair color is as individual as a snowflake and as finite. You'll never be able to replicate it out of a box. If you just can't appreciate it, try some non damaging methods of popping the color a bit, semi permanent dyes, Manic Panic, or henna/cassia. I love the idea of cassia for you, because it will beef up the texture a bit and give your color more "oomph"- like putting a colored stone under water. Plus it's not permanent so if you don't like it, it will go away without hurting your hair at all.

sarahthegemini
September 29th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Aw, that little boy was just being a douchebag! I understand that silly comments can really stick with you though. I'm sure your hair colour is lovely, you just can't see it yourself. Do you have any pictures of your natural colour? And silkiness is a great hair attribute! It's something I personally strive for :)

bunzfan
September 29th, 2013, 12:27 PM
I agree don't hate it, also when i use certain cones my hair behaves just like that so i use the shampoo cool combination mentioned (another uk'er) and either inecto or original source conditioner normally the damage limitation one that way it resembles hair and not silk i really think your enemy is cones and not your hair itself :lol: also try some dry shampoo when it's feeling particularly slippery it really works.

cranberrymoonz
September 29th, 2013, 12:54 PM
To make my hair less slippery, I
- wear braid waves, it gives it some texture:)
- ditch 'cones! And sulfates, because they clarify->silkyness.
- stretch washes/rinse in stead of shampoo. Because slightly dirty hair has more grip.
- use dry shampoo for some more texture. (and to make dirty hair look clean;) )

spidermom
September 29th, 2013, 01:00 PM
I have annoyingly slippy-slidey hair, and it stays in up-dos much better if I don't comb it all smooth first. Therefore a lot of days I don't comb it in the morning. I smooth with fingers only enough to do the style, then comb it out in the evening before bed.

Give it a try. You'll be surprised how much better your hair will stay in place with a bit of tangliness.

lapushka
September 29th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Firstly, my hair is so silky and it basically won't hold any updos. I've had that problem since a child. So annoying.
Secondly, my real hair colour is so horrible. It's mousy and greyish. I can never be natural. When I was 16 this boy was laughing because he could see my real haircolour :(

^^ Silky smooth hair is to die for. The amount of people that would happily wish for it are innumerable! Second of all, check the "blonette" hair color thread out, but I doubt it's the thread for you. Judging from your avatar you're a very light blonde, not a blonde/brunette.

wildkratt
September 29th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Your hair is to die for! Tons of people damage and bleach their hair to become a platinum blonde. And I've always wanted straight, silky hair like yours since my hair is naturally annoying and wavy/curly and gets super frizzy. Embrace your natural hair! ;)

bunzfan
September 29th, 2013, 02:33 PM
I have annoyingly slippy-slidey hair, and it stays in up-dos much better if I don't comb it all smooth first. Therefore a lot of days I don't comb it in the morning. I smooth with fingers only enough to do the style, then comb it out in the evening before bed.

Give it a try. You'll be surprised how much better your hair will stay in place with a bit of tangliness.

This^^ i stopped brushing my hair months ago and i couldn't believe how much easier it is to put my hair up :cool:

MarlieJane
September 29th, 2013, 04:31 PM
I wish we could trade for a day! I have the opposite problem. Crazy frizzy hair. Sometimes I hate mine too, you're not alone!

faellen
September 29th, 2013, 04:37 PM
^^ Silky smooth hair is to die for. The amount of people that would happily wish for it are innumerable! Second of all, check the "blonette" hair color thread out, but I doubt it's the thread for you. Judging from your avatar you're a very light blonde, not a blonde/brunette.

Pretty sure the colour in the avatar is from dye or bleach. I'd be willing to bet that the natural colour is darker.

BowTie
September 29th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Hi all and thank you for your replies :) They've really helped. I'm going to give non-cone shampoos a try after I've finished my current bottle. However, I think this is how my hair naturally is as a child I had even silkier hair and didn't definitely shampoo daily.

I used to wash everyday but now I only do it twice a week and my hair is a bit easier to handle.

Yes, my hair is dyed. I used to be real blonde as a kid but it darkened. The only colours that really suit me are blonde or red and I definitely prefer blonde. However, I'm thinking about having it just highlighted next :)

ositarosita
October 1st, 2013, 12:41 PM
Sounds like we have the same haircolour, a little grey/silvery with a hint of blondette .... I love the colour it's something you can't get from a box, it's a colour that can't be duplicated.. I find if my hair gets too slippery to stay up I wet it and through in a little rinse out condish and ta da

Mainesongbird
October 1st, 2013, 01:35 PM
I don't know if this is something you would want to try, but I also have silkier hair and I find that a little dry shampoo helps to add a little grip so my pins, braids and whatnot don't slip.

stachelbeere
October 1st, 2013, 02:25 PM
I'm officially banning the word "mousy" from this thread from here on out :p it's a horrible negative word IMO.

Your hair sounds like mine. When you're a straightie, silkiness is a good thing, embrace it :D I also used to hate my colour, just like you, especially when people kept referring to it as mousy and greyish. When i stopped dyeing, I thought the colour looked awful at the roots but when it got longer I noticed a whole lot of different tones in there! If you want to continue colouring, feel free, but I found I was much happier when I embraced my natural colour and texture. No longer am I ashamed to have straight ashy hair, as with it comes many benefits too... :)

I'm with you on that. I'm actually trying to grow my light ash brown out.

Also, everything is a question of your attitude. And silky hair is AMAZING. I know what you mean with it not holding any styles, my bff has the exact same hair type but her hair always looks so... polished - without trying. it doesn't pouf and is very very durable. Mine is silky too - but much less so. and fragile.

BowTie
October 29th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I've stopped hating my hair. I stopped using shampoos and conditioners with sulphates and cones and started using organic shampoo and conditioner. I also use coconut oil. My hair feels and looks heavier and is not as slippery anymore. Also my scalp was healed.

BlazingHeart
November 6th, 2013, 07:06 PM
That's great, Bow Tie! It is astonishing sometimes how much of a difference the right care routine can make. Major bonus about helping your scalp, too.