PDA

View Full Version : Your Way of Deep Conditioning.

Dark Star
September 28th, 2013, 04:28 AM
I am sure this question has, basically, been asked a thousand times before on these boards. But I am a 'newbie' here and to the nitty-gritty of some facets of hair fare. I am in the midst of a hair crisis--for the first time ever. As a result, my hair is very dry and is needing a lot of moisture. I want to be getting moisture into it the most effective way possible without creating build-up on my strands. Usually, when I would deep condition, I did it without much 'pomp and circumstance' because my hair was already in a healthy state. I followed the instructions on the bottle of my product which were, typically, to apply for 15-20 minutes, then rinse out, shampoo and rinse-out condition. Always, always worked for me. But now I have been applying heat to help the conditioner infuse further into my hair. But I have some questions so hair gurus, it would be great if you could answer them! I would appreciate it so much! For some reason, I cannot seem to create actual paragraphs when at this site for the most part. So please bear with how this post appears which is all crammed together! Questions: Do you always apply a deep conditioner to freshly washed hair and should you? Is it okay to apply it to hair that has not been washed in a few days (I am washing my hair every 3-4 days at present)? How long do you leave it in for? Is it best to bag it and then apply heat? Is it sort of pointless to wash your hair afterward, then do a standard rinse-out conditioning? Are you not reducing the amount of moisture which you just put into your hair? Like I have said, I have always gone about it this way--well, for years anyhow. My hair still seemed to glean the benefits from the deep treatment just the same. Note that I am not talking about conditioners with any protein in my case (because my hair crisis, is just that--protein-saturated strands which are improving after 3 weeks of a new protein-free, moisturizing routine--but results are a combination of good, not-so-good and uncertain at present). Thanks for any feedback!

Firefox7275
September 28th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Just wetting the hair adds moisture (= water), hair feeling dry doesn't necessarily mean it needs more water - it can be build of a product ingredient, build up of minerals from hard water, raised cuticle due to damage, raised cuticle due to alkaline products. Hair that is overly 'moisturised' or kept wet for long periods can get weaker due to the water breaking some of the structural protein bonds, also swelling the cuticle (hygral fatigue).

I am deep conditioning less and less often of late and I don't notice any detrimental effects to my porous colour treated hair. I do deep treatments (primarily coconut oil on dry unwashed hair as per the research), I also use a very gentle cleansing method (co-wash) and a leave in conditioner so in a way my hair is getting an intensive conditioning every time I wash.

First in a series of excellent articles on deep conditioning
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/10/deep-conditioning-update-penetration.html

jacqueline101
September 29th, 2013, 05:23 AM
My deep conditioning is Aussie 3 minute miricle use it according to the instructions. I use it after my cholesterol treatment and once a month only. I rinse it out with cool water. I do wash my hair and condition it as normal prior to my treatments. If your hair is lacking moisture alot you might try a moisturized conditioner a leave in that is. My treatments are heatless. I'm sure someone can better answer this part of the question. The no protein part I did that once as far as treatments go I used a shampoo that had protein in it. I still used the same deep conditioner and had just as wonderful results.

AmyBeth
September 29th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I'm sure my deep conditioning is over-kill by most standards. The night before my wash, I use a fairly heavy application of coconut oil, followed by an easier application of olive oil. Into a sleep cap for the night. In the morning, I CO wash, then apply a deep conditioner (if I have time I will sit under my hair dryer bonnet for 10mins to an hour) and without rinsing, t-shirt dry and damp bun all day, and overnight again. Then rinse out well, and apply a very light application of avocado oil. This used to happen weekly until I started hendigo- now I have to use a more cleansing approach after deep condition. I use a moisturizing shampoo bar. Try damp bunning. It keeps moisture in and give gorgeous bouncy bun waves.

ositarosita
October 1st, 2013, 12:45 PM
I don't deep condition, I simply use my rinse out as a styling product. I put the conditioner in when my hair is damp seal it with an oil than put it up in a bum. I find my hair and scalp are happier this way.

HintOfMint
October 1st, 2013, 02:57 PM
I just replace my regular conditioner with a modified SMT (I omit the aloe because it doesn't agree with my hair, and I add a smidge of coconut oil). I will also dab a bit of olive oil on my ends along with my regular Aveda leave-in.