PDA

View Full Version : How do I hide this?

josie4
September 3rd, 2008, 10:54 PM
I had a baby boy last November and I lost a ton of hair after I had him. I now have a lot of new growth all over my head that looks very bad when I wear it up. Here's a picture just to give you an idea of how it looks. (This is a very unflattering pic, but shows the new growth the best.)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/josie4/edit.jpg

What can I do to hide or lessen this?? I've tried oiling, but since it's not really frizzy, but spikey growth, it takes a lot and then I look greasy. This stuff is so annoying!!

Oh, and because that's such a bad shot, here's a better one. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/josie4/Copyofcropper3.jpg

Thanks!

ChloeDharma
September 3rd, 2008, 11:14 PM
First of all that picture is actually beautiful.
Your new growth i actually think looks nice too, i would be celebrating it. But to help hold it down have you tried aloe vera gel? There is also a recipe for flax seed gel over on the recipes board that might be helpfull.

Bene
September 3rd, 2008, 11:15 PM
when my hair was short, i had a very similar problem. so when i washed it, i'd tie it back in a stump of a pony tail (while it was still wet), and then wrap a bandanna around my head to have it lay flat against my head. the top part would dry over night, and i'd be somewhat straight. i did this until it grew long enough to reach the rest of my hair.

i hope this helps somewhat. good luck!

josie4
September 3rd, 2008, 11:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Chloe, I didn't think of aloe vera gel, that is a good suggestion! I will have to try that and I'll go look for the recipe. Also, thanks for the compliment on the picture!

Bene, usually the only way I wear my hair up is in a ponytail. I usually only pull it up dry as I'm afraid of breakage from pulling it back wet. Have you had any problems with damage?

I CO every 3-4 days and it usually looks the best on the day of the wash or the day before because of my natural oil's smoothing effect. But then it needs to be cleaned and I have to start all over! Ugh.

Thanks again for the help!!

Bene
September 3rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
you can keep doing this when your hair is dry. putting a bandanna around your head doesn't do much pulling. when i didn't feel like washing, i'd simply moisten my hands and run them through the short wayward hairs and then lightly comb them back.

of course, be gentle. but this is kind of the short hair version of damp bunning. the bandanna just keeps your hair in one direction while it dries so that it doesn't go end up going in all directions.

any kind of product you use, including aloe vera gel, will help. back in my short haired days, i'd use any kind of hair cream or serum. if i knew then what i know now, i would've done a LIGHT oiling (a drop or two in my palms, rub them together until there was just a light shiny coating on them, and then pass my hands over my hair) then again, this all depends on what your hair likes. if you have fine/medium hair, it would have to be something lighter.

*BelievingAgain
September 3rd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Hey, I think that picture is really beautiful!!!

I also love the wrap/sling you have for bubba, it's gorgeous. I'm not a mum but I see a lot of mums (and dads for that matter) getting around with similar things, and to me they just seem so wonderful, more maternal I guess. It's hard to explain. ANYWAY LOL...

I'm really sorry you're having trouble with your hair, and I can't think of any particular advice that might help, apart from using those big fabric head bands/ties until the new hair has grown in some more. All I can really do is send you lots of 'grow hair, grow!' wishes... And at least (it's not much of a consolation I guess) the hairs are short because they're new, rather than split or broken. Best wishes :flower:

Nevermore
September 3rd, 2008, 11:48 PM
In your place I'd leave it alone except when you want to look put together. When you want that, put a drop or two of your oil of choice in your palm, rub your hands together a bit, then run them over your hair toward the nape. Then, and this is important, use a boar bristle brush to brush it back for the ponytail/bun/whatever. This should hold your baby hairs down, give them some extra tlc and make your hair look super shiny. I do it basically every day. This isn't a particularly good picture, but it'll give you some idea of what it looks like after this http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g277/happynightmares/WebCam_20080614_173010-1.jpg?t=1220507276 In real life, it looks way nicer, but the general sleek shininess is represented there.

Oh, and if your hair is still obviously baby-growth-haloy after that, you can do the same steps except for the brushing part over your finished ponytail/bun and that should fix it pretty well.

Honey39
September 4th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I had exactly the same problem - a LOT of new growth which was a halo!! I never ever managed to do anything about it till I came here, and the thing which helps the most is aloe vera gel; it really does smooth my hair down more than anything I've ever tried. I put a bit on the top when my hair is damp, and it seems to work. I have very frizzy hair!

Also - it's fab that you've got such great new growth, so although it's a pain, it's actually really rather wonderful!

ladyshannonanne
September 4th, 2008, 01:31 AM
I had the exact same thing happen after I had my son! I just put up with it, and after a few months the hairs were long enough that they started to lay flat. I found that gel or anything else I put in was a disaster because I had to put it so close to the roots.

It'll grow back to normal before you know it!

Mitzy
September 4th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I don't know anything about how to fix your hair, it actually looks fine to me, but, I have to say---

Your baby is SOOOOOO CUTE1111 Look at those EYES!!! I love the expression on his face!!! That is all. Sorry.

k_hepburn
September 4th, 2008, 02:58 AM
May I also chime in to say that you, as well as your hair, look really beautiful and radiating happiness in that picture (not to mention that cute as a button son you're holding).

I know those shorties can be annoying, but on you they actually create the look of an updo without the tightness - it really flatters your face! If you really want to tame the shorties, I'd suggest combining a nice thin metal headband, like these (http://www.ficcare.com/Products.aspx?collId=37) Ficcare ones, combines with your usual updo. It's a kind of look that I've seen on a number of television shows in recent times, so you'd probably be highly fashionable with it too!

Greetings

katharine

Arctic_Mama
September 4th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Oh geez, I feel for you. My first daughter was born 16 months ago and I lost TONS of hair (though it was still ridiculously thick) and the halo of frizz looked AWFUL, because my frizz is very curly. Then I had my second daughter 5 weeks ago and am getting the shed again, though thankfully not as bad.

I've found using a humectant like glycerin or aloe on my scalp helps them lay flatter and not look greasy, and regular oil treatments. Once they get to be two inches long or so they're much more cooperative.

Congratulations on your son! I hope your hair behaves for you! Your mayawrap is great too ;)

sahiba
September 4th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Oh , don't do anything to your hair... nothing is wrong with it.:). Take a close look at your picture and see how beautiful you and your baby are looking. Your body has been through a phenomenal harmonal change and with a new born sleeping and eating pattern often goes hay-wire. My advice , don't take stress for your hair and just look after yourself and the baby. When time comes I'm sure they'll regrow and you will manage them nicely.Best of luck and a happy mommy life.:flower:

josie4
September 4th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Thanks for all the advice and compliments ladies! It means a lot. :D

Something I've found has helped is pulling it back more to the sides, from my part, instead of combing it straight back. When its combed straight back it sticks up the worst. The problem is I don't have any hairtoys, don't know how to use them, and don't really know how to do any styles on my not-quite-APL hair. I'll have to figure that out!

I don't have any aloe gel, but I will buy some. I've used it in the past, and it's always worked! And I'll also try the bandana.

I really should stop worrying about it as I'm going to have to go through this all again after I have my second baby in January (hopefully I won't lose as much the second time around). :) My husband never comments on the halo and nobody else has either, so I'm probably the only one who notices.

It's actually very encouraging to see all this new growth. It's just showing me how much thicker it'll be when it grows back in.

Thanks for all the compliments on my son and Mayawrap. He just loves it. He'll be in it for two hours and not make a peep! He really is such a sweetie and I'd go bald for him if I had too!!!

ChloeDharma
September 4th, 2008, 06:57 AM
You are welcome for the compliment, and i'm glad others confirmed and expanded on what i said......if i was you i'd have that picture framed! :p

The bandana suggestion gave me an idea though.....what about using silk scarves? Silk seems to add shine, so i'm thinking if you tried that it might make your hair even shinier, plus you would know the material wasn't roughing up the cuticle at all on the fragile damp hair, and you could create some pretty looks with it too.

Good luck with the aloe, mixing a drop of oil with it i find makes it even nicer.

NurseMama
September 4th, 2008, 07:25 AM
As others said AVG will work!

(I love Maya Wraps btw! Aren't they just the best? GTBM posted a sling site a month ago or so in her ask GTBM thread that had wonderful ideas for making your own sling if you are interested in making a new one!)

josie4
September 4th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Chloe, that's a great idea! Silk scarves are so pretty in hair.

My Mayawrap is just the greatest!! It's so easy and the contact with my son is so nice. I prefer it so much to a stroller. I'll have to check out that thread, too!

FrannyG
September 4th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Egads, woman, if you call that an unflattering photo, I'd hate to think what you'd say to some of my postpartum photos. You look like an angel with a wee halo!

I had similar hair loss and regrowth after both of my children, and I just let it be. That was pre-LHC, of course, but honestly, it didn't bother me a bit.

If I were going to try something I would go with what the others are saying and use a bit of AVG to tame those flyaways.

However in all honesty, I think they're really beautiful. :blossom:

josie4
September 4th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks so much Franny! That makes me feel good! :) My son is about 9 m/o in that picture, so it was taken pretty recently. I also think I have the 'pregnancy glow' from my newest little one.

tsc
September 5th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I use aloe vera gel to deal with my sticker-outers. You have to be careful not to slick it down too much though, or you can look a little greasy.

vidgrl007
September 5th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Hun,you look so glowey:).when I had my dd I got new growth and put my hair in bandanas or gel the heck outta it lol.The first pic looks like you got some amazing growth:cheese:.The sec pic looks so nice.I guess what im saying is celebrate your new growth,it can get annoying when your hair wont do what you want but before you know it you wont notice the new growth.