PDA

View Full Version : Saw an older long hair today

Kwantslonghair
September 27th, 2013, 12:39 PM
At the grocery store today I saw a 70sh woman with a lovely braid on her head. I asked her how long it was. She pointed to te middle hip area. I told her it was beautiful and to never cut it. She said I was the first person to ever say so.

pogo0685
September 27th, 2013, 12:51 PM
So nice of you to tell her that, I see people with nice hair a lot but I am very shy so I rarely say anything. You probably made her whole day!

Kwantslonghair
September 27th, 2013, 12:56 PM
So nice of you to tell her that, I see people with nice hair a lot but I am very shy so I rarely say anything. You probably made her whole day!

I hope so. She acted surprised at my comment

woodswanderer
September 27th, 2013, 01:30 PM
That surprises me that no one ever gave her such a nice compliment in her youth. It doesn't surprise me that most people don't have anything nice to say now that she is older. My mom and other people have often expressed shock and disgust that I intend to have a long grey mane one day. Go figure :shrug:

hannabiss
September 27th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I seen a lady at goodwill her hair was about armpit length. Not super long I know but most women her age do that strange short with a curly top thing. I told her I thought her hair looked nice and that the grey was very pretty. It was silver. She said thanks for the compliment. Then we went back to ripping apart goodwill. It was dollar days. :)

Kwantslonghair
September 27th, 2013, 01:36 PM
That surprises me that no one ever gave her such a nice compliment in her youth. It doesn't surprise me that most people don't have anything nice to say now that she is older. My mom and other people have often expressed shock and disgust that I intend to have a long grey mane one day. Go figure :shrug:

Yeah. That is what she meant. Since she had gotten older. Everyone tells her to cut it.

Carolyn
September 27th, 2013, 02:07 PM
I think it was very nice of you to give her a compliment. So often we think things but don't express them. I'm sure you made her day.

AmyBeth
September 27th, 2013, 03:49 PM
If any of you ever see me out there IRL, and like my hair, please tell me so. I hardly ever get compliments and always treasure them. I promise that from now on, when I see hair that I love, I will say so. I recently went on vacation, to Detroit, of all places, and went for dinner at a bar/restaurant, and I saw a young man with hip length dreads. When we were getting ready to leave, I asked the waitress to tell him how beautiful I think his hair is, because I felt too shy to tell him myself. Then I told the waitress never mind, and I told him myself. He was so pleased! We ended up talking for 1/2 an hour:D.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 27th, 2013, 04:05 PM
OP, it was great of you to say that to an older person with long hair.
Occasionally I will meet someone with long grey hair and if I get the chance I always compliment them on it. The invariably say that everyone tells them they should cut it, but that they themselves prefer it long. A few weeks ago I was introduced to a 98 year old lady with APL silver hair and wanted to tell her how pretty it looked but we were in a group and I didn't really get the opportunity. I would have though if we had been talking one to one.

Kwantslonghair
September 27th, 2013, 04:16 PM
I saw a lady with Long silver hair in a San Jose resturant in Jan. While visiting there. I told her how pretty it was. She said she always wore it down. It was WL

0xalis
September 27th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I've seen quite a few elder ladies with gorgeous long hair lately. I love when people let themselves go grey, it's so pretty!

ETA: I love giving people compliments, especially when it makes them happy! I'm usually too shy to say anything though :o

ozzy
September 27th, 2013, 05:12 PM
I bet you made her day, we need to compliment others more :)

Dark Star
September 28th, 2013, 06:52 AM
I LOVE how women look with long, grey or white hair as worn loose or in a braid, et cetera.

I am Pagan and to me, it is very much the way of the old world 'Crone' to look in such a way. I aspire to--one day.

I really detest the thinking that just because a woman is getting on in years, she should cut off her locks. I am 'only' 36 years-old, but it has been suggested to me that I cut off my hair (after always having had long hair for over 20 years now) 'just for a change' or because I have since become a mother and it would be more 'convenient' were I to do so. I am currently going through a hair ordeal for the first time in my life and am agonizing at the mere thought of having to go short-ish. Not since I was a preteen has my hair been shorter than say, around my bust-line though I have typically rocked it to just below it, or to my waist through the years.

I truly commend those ladies who maintain longer lengths of hair as they become wise, beautiful Crones. Blessed be.

Kwantslonghair
September 28th, 2013, 07:05 AM
I don't have money, I don't have fame, so I figure "my thing" can be being the crazy long haired lady

Agnes Hannah
September 28th, 2013, 02:32 PM
I LOVE how women look with long, grey or white hair as worn loose or in a braid, et cetera.

I am Pagan and to me, it is very much the way of the old world 'Crone' to look in such a way. I aspire to--one day.

I really detest the thinking that just because a woman is getting on in years, she should cut off her locks. I am 'only' 36 years-old, but it has been suggested to me that I cut off my hair (after always having had long hair for over 20 years now) 'just for a change' or because I have since become a mother and it would be more 'convenient' were I to do so. I am currently going through a hair ordeal for the first time in my life and am agonizing at the mere thought of having to go short-ish. Not since I was a preteen has my hair been shorter than say, around my bust-line though I have typically rocked it to just below it, or to my waist through the years.

I truly commend those ladies who maintain longer lengths of hair as they become wise, beautiful Crones. Blessed be.
My sentiments exactly! I saw an older long hair today, she had half up with a ponytail, it was thick, midback and a beautiful colour. At the back of my garden is another street, here another older long hair lives, she also has beautiful colours in her hair, it is just above waist and it is straight across

rcblinn
September 28th, 2013, 02:54 PM
I don't have money, I don't have fame, so I figure "my thing" can be being the crazy long haired lady

Love this!

My grandmother, now 88, has silver hair down to her waist. Growing up, she was my long hair aspiration. I think it's awesome that the OP complimented the woman in the store :)

Crumpet
September 28th, 2013, 02:56 PM
I love long hair on older women. I think it looks terribly elegant, particularly when natural rather than coloured. Truth be told: I'm looking forward to what my hair looks like at that age. I'm glad we have a good contingent of Renegrays here who look exceptional. Hopefully more women will feel okay to keep long hair when they're older if they want to.

jacqueline101
September 28th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I think it was very nice of you to give her a compliment. So often we think things but don't express them. I'm sure you made her day.

I agree we want to compliment but get too busy.

clioariane
September 28th, 2013, 04:20 PM
my mom is in her 50's and also has hip-length hair, I think it looks great at any age when cared for properly :)

heidi w.
September 28th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Sounds like a nice exchange. I hope she follows your advice. A lot of people fail to compliment positively.
heidi w.

leslissocool
September 28th, 2013, 05:23 PM
I make an extra effort to compliment long hair on older women, specially the ones with silver hair that's well taken care of. I used to just drool from far away, and then here in LHC I read so much about all the negative reactions people of a certain age get for their locks I figure if they hear at least once how awesome their long locks are and how I LOVE their silver hair that they'll feel more confident about their appearance. I've seen some gorgeous women with long silver hair that give me serious hair envy. I'm so glad I moved to an area where people tend to let their hair grow.

Kwantslonghair
September 28th, 2013, 05:31 PM
I always say something. Even if I just tell them how pretty it is.

Hairitic
September 28th, 2013, 06:13 PM
I am one of those "older" long haired ladies (I consider myself crazy :p ) I admit to monthly Henna treatments which started mainly to hide my grays I realized my hair's condition is 100% better with Henna so I keep it up. I absolutely LOVE it when someone compliments me on my BCL hair. It always makes my day :applause So THANKS to all of you for telling us you like our hair. I do the same for other "older" women. :D

Kwantslonghair
September 28th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I am one of those "older" long haired ladies (I consider myself crazy :p ) I admit to monthly Henna treatments which started mainly to hide my grays I realized my hair's condition is 100% better with Henna so I keep it up. I absolutely LOVE it when someone compliments me on my BCL hair. It always makes my day :applause So THANKS to all of you for telling us you like our hair. I do the same for other "older" women. :D

You are welcome

MeowScat
September 28th, 2013, 06:52 PM
I have a feeling she will never forget that compliment, especially since she never hears that. Good for you for having the guts to initiate a conversation, I rarely do since I don't have the guts.

embee
September 28th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Well said, kwantslonghair! :)

leslissocool
September 28th, 2013, 07:05 PM

:agape: I always pictured you in your 20's!

Fairlight63
September 28th, 2013, 08:23 PM
I am also an "older" long (hip length) silver haired lady. I don't get very many complements on my hair, when I do it makes my day! :)

BlazingHeart
September 29th, 2013, 03:17 AM
My grandmother is in her mid-80s, and in the past I guess 6-8 years she grew her hair out. Not sure exactly how long it is, but it is very thin, fine, and snowy white, always worn up in a bun with clips. She never hears anything but negative comments - I asked her once why she grew it out, and in typical form for her, she puckishly answered, "Well, why wouldn't I?" She had the short, fluffy typical old lady style through most of my lifetime, so it was a surprise for most of us when she grew it out.

Lunearia
September 29th, 2013, 04:58 AM
I told her it was beautiful and to never cut it.
That was so nice of you. :) It's strange how many people actually tell long hairs to cut. Maybe they just don't understand but some don't even try.

embee
September 29th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Heh. I also am older (Social Security already) but nobody has told me to chop. Maybe I have a forbidding face? ;) I also never go to a salon and always wear my hair up so people don't know how long it is really. Don't tempt them, is my motto.