PDA

View Full Version : Question on hair products?

jacqueline101
September 27th, 2013, 11:18 AM
I like to buy in bulk and had a chance to buy Monistat in bulk off of eBay. It's got over a year until it expired if it expires before I use it and it's unopened is it still safe to use? I was just wondering on that.

Kwantslonghair
September 27th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I would think it would be ok for hair. Maybe not for long for its intended use.

pogo0685
September 27th, 2013, 11:49 AM
I think it would be ok for use in your hair.

jeanniet
September 27th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Expiration dates on things like Monistat simply are for efficacy of the active ingredients. If they expire, the worst is that it may be somewhat less effective, but products are generally good for some time past the expiration date.

torrilin
September 27th, 2013, 03:04 PM
It's not just the active ingredients. A lot of products contain preservative ingredients to kill mold, fungus or other contaminants, and those ingredients will not last forever. And depending on the kind of packaging, it may degrade over time and allow stuff to pass through to the product.

Some kinds of packaging have been used for a long enough time that we know how the packaging breaks down and what problems come up. Canned goods are like that. A lot of medications use packaging methods that might be less than 20 years old, so we don't necessarily know everything that can go wrong.

Generally companies try to be really conservative and allow a lot of margin for error. So expired products are usually not a huge deal. But if you're at all hesitant or if anything at all about the product strikes you as odd compared to normal, don't hesitate to get rid of it.

jeanniet
September 27th, 2013, 03:27 PM
In an unopened package spoilage is less likely, although it might spoil faster once it's opened. I doubt there will be a problem if it's less than a year past the expiration date, but always keep an eye out for anything that seems off. Also, the best way to avoid spoilage in any cosmetic product is to not allow it to touch skin. Use a clean utensil to remove the product from the packaging.

jacqueline101
September 28th, 2013, 06:36 PM
It's not just the active ingredients. A lot of products contain preservative ingredients to kill mold, fungus or other contaminants, and those ingredients will not last forever. And depending on the kind of packaging, it may degrade over time and allow stuff to pass through to the product.

Some kinds of packaging have been used for a long enough time that we know how the packaging breaks down and what problems come up. Canned goods are like that. A lot of medications use packaging methods that might be less than 20 years old, so we don't necessarily know everything that can go wrong.

Generally companies try to be really conservative and allow a lot of margin for error. So expired products are usually not a huge deal. But if you're at all hesitant or if anything at all about the product strikes you as odd compared to normal, don't hesitate to get rid of it.

The packaging was another concern I had. I've seen old ointment tubes change like they change when they get old. I had one once that the ends came apart on and the paint peeled off. Then the label peeled off and the product was rotted and I guess maybe it turned acidic.

jacqueline101
September 28th, 2013, 06:38 PM
In an unopened package spoilage is less likely, although it might spoil faster once it's opened. I doubt there will be a problem if it's less than a year past the expiration date, but always keep an eye out for anything that seems off. Also, the best way to avoid spoilage in any cosmetic product is to not allow it to touch skin. Use a clean utensil to remove the product from the packaging.
It's suppose to be new unopened and I'm wondering if I should buy that much. Maybe I should I wait and see I know our skin and germs can taint a product.